Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NSW burning 08:29 - Nov 10 with 1964 viewsurbanblue

As many of you know I live in Northern NSW. This bushfire situation over here is seriously scary. There are nearly 90 fires burning throughout NSW and 7 are serious. People have died and homes lost. Tuesday 'catastrophic' conditions are predicted with the heat and winds. Have had hardly any rain for weeks and none predicted.

I live on the coast miles from the nearest fire and today has been absolutely weird. for the last two days constant stink of smoke and an ashen haze in the atmosphere. Car filthy. Sun and moon blood red. Roads deserted. Beach deserted. No one around. Just back from a pub with a beer garden and live band. Normally busy but very, very, quiet.

Feels like the apocalypse.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

NSW burning on 08:44 - Nov 10 with 1920 viewsMVBlue

Sounds nasty. I lived in Melbourne, MelbourneVicBlue I was. We had some experience of this there was fires burning on the edge of the city I think summer 2012 (January). How it affected us was the air cooling we had on that was necessary in 40 degrees heat, was pumping the arid smokey air over northern Melbourne into out house! So we were getting sore throats and couldnt stay outside either as it was too hot.

Australias got a fee issues around climate change. Hope it passes for you the latest fires.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

NSW burning on 08:44 - Nov 10 with 1922 viewsartsbossbeard

Looks bloody terrifying from the local coverage I've watched online. Almost a month without a hint of rain isn't it?

Reckon that decent wildlife sanctuary just up the road from you will see an influx of koala bears then.

Stay safe, keep us updated too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

NSW burning on 09:17 - Nov 10 with 1887 viewsIPS_wich

From one Pom down under to another - keep safe.

It’s been almost four years since the last big one in WA, but we’ve just had a very dry winter and a very warm start to the summer (it topped 40c in Perth yesterday - the earliest 40c day for a decade)...so the warning signs are there.

But looks like NSW and Qld have been on a bad run for the last couple of years.
NSW burning on 10:06 - Nov 10 with 1837 viewsAce_High1

Stay safe!

Will be over there myself in a month, so have been keeping an eye on the weather. Looks liken it has been hot and dry for a while.
NSW burning on 10:10 - Nov 10 with 1829 viewsurbanblue

NSW burning on 08:44 - Nov 10 by artsbossbeard

Looks bloody terrifying from the local coverage I've watched online. Almost a month without a hint of rain isn't it?

Reckon that decent wildlife sanctuary just up the road from you will see an influx of koala bears then.

Stay safe, keep us updated too.

Check this site out mate

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

Nearest fire to us is i think a good 200k's away. If it's like it is for us god knows what it's like for those closer.
NSW burning on 10:15 - Nov 10 with 1810 viewsurbanblue

NSW burning on 09:17 - Nov 10 by IPS_wich

From one Pom down under to another - keep safe.

It’s been almost four years since the last big one in WA, but we’ve just had a very dry winter and a very warm start to the summer (it topped 40c in Perth yesterday - the earliest 40c day for a decade)...so the warning signs are there.

But looks like NSW and Qld have been on a bad run for the last couple of years.

Yeah, I lived in Perth for 10 years so know what the heat can be like there. When I moved here the general opinion was although it was much more humid then WA we would not get such high temperatures. Last Tuesday it was 38 degrees!!! ... and I've lost count of how many times it's been that hot last couple of years.

Of course, when it does rain it can do for days and we get floods. That hasn't happened for a while though.

The weather is just going crazy!
NSW burning on 10:23 - Nov 10 with 1792 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

NSW burning on 10:15 - Nov 10 by urbanblue

Yeah, I lived in Perth for 10 years so know what the heat can be like there. When I moved here the general opinion was although it was much more humid then WA we would not get such high temperatures. Last Tuesday it was 38 degrees!!! ... and I've lost count of how many times it's been that hot last couple of years.

Of course, when it does rain it can do for days and we get floods. That hasn't happened for a while though.

The weather is just going crazy!

....meanwhile along in Melbourne temperatures in the low teens.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

NSW burning on 10:28 - Nov 10 with 1790 viewsbrogansnose

NSW burning on 10:10 - Nov 10 by urbanblue

Check this site out mate

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

Nearest fire to us is i think a good 200k's away. If it's like it is for us god knows what it's like for those closer.

Chuffin' hell, really brings it home if its like that and the fires are raging 200 clicks away. All the best and stay safe buh.
Login to get fewer ads

NSW burning on 12:35 - Nov 10 with 1740 viewsJamestownPrince

Stay safe folks

When my Folks came over here between the wars from Holland, some of the family stayed, and some had sense then to move to Canada, apart from my Grandads cousin who moved to near Canberra.

He and half the family live in van Diemans land now, but last year even at 80 years old, was out firefighting, this year Tassie seems ok at the moment.

I've a cousin in Bungendore on the ACT / NSW border and so far she and the family don't seem to be too worried.

I'm going over next July and August when its wet and cold!!!!
NSW burning on 13:29 - Nov 10 with 1704 viewsSteve_M

It looks horrendous in the worst affected areas. Hopefully Tuesday is nowhere near as bad as it looks at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

NSW burning on 14:11 - Nov 10 with 1661 viewsNthQldITFC

Best wishes to all down under, humans and wildlife alike.

There's also https://www.firenorth.org.au/nafi3/ for non-NSW residents too.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

NSW burning on 14:25 - Nov 10 with 1643 viewsLord_Lucan

Hey UB

Doesn't look good does it.

On a serious note - and as everyone has said - Stay safe and I wish you well.

On a less serious note - I hope no one lets a flare off.

By the way, RK Ziggy D says it was a pleasure to meet you.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

NSW burning on 22:56 - Nov 10 with 1486 viewsurbanblue

NSW burning on 14:25 - Nov 10 by Lord_Lucan

Hey UB

Doesn't look good does it.

On a serious note - and as everyone has said - Stay safe and I wish you well.

On a less serious note - I hope no one lets a flare off.

By the way, RK Ziggy D says it was a pleasure to meet you.

Hi Mate,

Hope you're well.

Oh, that it would need a flare to set it off! Just a cigarette not put out properly or more likely just the sun on extremely dry bush is enough. Worst case scenario is hot with extreme winds which I think is the worry on Tuesday.

Round here is pretty green and sub tropical generally but it's looking as dry as I've ever seen it. Inland they have been having drought conditions so god knows what it's like.

Spoke to my dear old Mum last night who must have been reading 'How to look like a cock 101' and was insistent I buy a mask to protect me from the smoke. I told her but then how would I be able to smoke a fag!!

It was great to meet the lad. Give him my best eh!
NSW burning on 22:57 - Nov 10 with 1484 viewsurbanblue

NSW burning on 10:28 - Nov 10 by brogansnose

Chuffin' hell, really brings it home if its like that and the fires are raging 200 clicks away. All the best and stay safe buh.

NSW is just over eight times bigger then England ... Mad eh!
NSW burning on 00:20 - Nov 11 with 1441 viewsIPS_wich

NSW burning on 22:57 - Nov 10 by urbanblue

NSW is just over eight times bigger then England ... Mad eh!

And NSW is one of the teeny tiny states in Australia...

The size of Australia is the thing that I hadn't really anticipated when we moved here. Things like:

- Western Australia (WA) would be the 10th largest country in the world if it was a country in it's own right

- The Kimberley region (in Northern WA) is three times larger than England, yet only has a population of 50,000

- Flying from Brisbane to Perth (the longest flight between major cities) takes 5.5 hours if going east to west and against the headwinds - which is longer than London to Cairo, Moscow or Tenerife

- Driving 3 hours to the Margaret River region from Perth is seen as reasonable for a weekend trip!!
NSW burning on 05:23 - Nov 11 with 1405 viewsBarneycurley

Stay safe me friend. So so early in the season for bushfires like this but it's a sign of the times.

Tomorrow could be bad, hopefully not

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

NSW burning on 06:47 - Nov 11 with 1363 viewsCanadianBlue

Can't say I know much about the Australian bushfire situation but Canadian resident and have been privy to a few forest fires gone wild.

It's bloody scary. Had family affected and worked a few fires through work. Can't say they're highlights of my life.

Stay safe and wish you, and your family, all the best.
NSW burning on 10:30 - Nov 11 with 1284 viewsNthQldITFC

Just been reading some of the comments by Australia's PM, deputy PM and NSW deputy PM here https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-11/carol-sparks-climate-change-federal-gover

I'm absolutely lost for words - apart from 'Accountability'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024