Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mundane UK Travel advice... 18:48 - Nov 10 with 808 viewssparks

At the back end of this week, I am trekking from the South West up to Pocklington in Yorkshire, for a lovely weekend of guitar related tomfoolery.

I have decided it is stupid to start a 4h 15m journey on Friday morning as the event starts at 1pm (and I need to check in first). I would therefore have to battle Bristol motorway rush hour traffic adding at least an hour and making for a very early start on a day which is supposed to be relaxed and fun.

So- I thought I'd stop in Brum and visit a couple of places- stay overnight for a Balti and then travel up int he morning. However, I have left it late, and even the Hagley Road Premier Inn is £76. So I was wondering if there was somewhere on route people would recommend as a nice stop - either somewhere lovely to stay but keenly priced (ideally with a pool!) or somewhere that is fun for a bloke on his own to potter round, or have a drink etc before returning to hotel.

Ill probably end up paying the £76 but en route, I could stop at Bromsgrove, Nottingham, Derby or even further north- and still make my planned stops in Brum to visit things.

Any clever ideas?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mundane UK Travel advice... on 18:55 - Nov 10 with 784 viewsBlueastheycome

A shepherds hut on air bnb might be worth a look, one off the beaten track a little? Perhaps in a nice quiet village with a pub but near ish your motorway route ? There may even be one available with a jacuzzi..

Edit: just re-read my post and it looks like I may be implying I know just the one... (I don’t by the way, sorry) but certainly worth having a look on air bnb
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 18:57]
Mundane UK Travel advice... on 18:57 - Nov 10 with 774 viewsjontysnut

Banbury. Handy for A42 to M1. Pleasant enough town with pubs, restaurants.
Mundane UK Travel advice... on 19:06 - Nov 10 with 742 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Stratford upon Avon, plenty of guest houses or more upmarket hotels and some decent places to eat and drink.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Mundane UK Travel advice... on 19:09 - Nov 10 with 741 viewsMeadowlark

I stayed in the Three Queens Hotel for the away game in Burton. Nice town for beer (obviously,) hotel was OK with a free car park. Plenty of places to eat.
Mundane UK Travel advice... on 19:27 - Nov 10 with 719 viewssparks

Mundane UK Travel advice... on 18:55 - Nov 10 by Blueastheycome

A shepherds hut on air bnb might be worth a look, one off the beaten track a little? Perhaps in a nice quiet village with a pub but near ish your motorway route ? There may even be one available with a jacuzzi..

Edit: just re-read my post and it looks like I may be implying I know just the one... (I don’t by the way, sorry) but certainly worth having a look on air bnb
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 18:57]

The shepherds hut idea is a nice one. Me and a guitar and a bottle of something....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mundane UK Travel advice... on 21:46 - Nov 10 with 612 viewsGuthrum

How about somewhere in the Peak District? Some nice places round there, good scenery and not too far to drop down to the M1.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024