Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First memory of attending Portman Road 08:57 - Nov 11 with 1557 viewsthatdamgood89

Morning Gang. Sadly not victory Monday but we thought we would try and record our #ITFC Podcast this evening.
So our mailbox📬 is now open. Had to dust it off mind....rarely used 😂

We are after;
☕ Questions
🍻 Thoughts
🎣 Random thoughts

& in memory of hot chocolate Gate over the weekend (see twitter if you've not seen it) 😂

Your first memory of visiting Portman Road.

What game?
Who scored?
Maybe they didn't have your fav drink?

Mine Included
The Britania stand and Steve Guppy 😂

Have a great day

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

First memory of attending Portman Road on 09:11 - Nov 11 with 1525 viewsChateauWines

How random you mention Hot Chocolate Gate. I`ve no idea what happened at weekend but I have been supporting Ipswich Town home and away for 19 years, because of my own Hot Chocolate Gate in 1994 at Roots Hall.

My first game at Portman Road was around 1984 for a Milk Cup tie against Oxford United

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

First memory of attending Portman Road on 09:28 - Nov 11 with 1499 viewsGeoffSentence

It's not really a memory of attending Portman Road, but my first memory of it was from the early 1970's. For some reason my parents had gone to Ipswich to go shopping that day, this was unusual because we lived in South Norfolk just 10 miles or so South of Norwich so normally they would go into Norwich. Maybe they fancied a day out or a change of scenery. At that time there was multi-story car park in the Cattlemarket and by the time my parent's shopping trip had finished there was a game against Tottenham in full swing. Dad took me to the top of the car park and we watched the remainder of the game from there. Not that we could see much, there was a gap between the Portman Stand and the Churchmans so we could see David Best in goal, the occasional Spurs attack and not much else.

That was my first taste of watching Ipswich, indeed my first taste of live football.

I wish I could say I was hooked from that moment, but I wasn't. It turns out that catching a glimpse of the game between stands from a fair distance away isn't really much of a spectacle.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 9:28]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

First memory of attending Portman Road on 09:44 - Nov 11 with 1471 viewscrunchie1978

A 2 nil win at home to oldham 1987 David Lowe and mark Brennan.
But what always reminds me of the game was the first song i heard as i walked in.
Alexandra O'Neil...criticize.
First memory of attending Portman Road on 10:03 - Nov 11 with 1453 viewsMeenoITFC

I have been going to portman road with my father since I could walk, however my first MAJOR memory was us beating Bristol city 6-0 in 2007 singing 'we want 7'. Jonny walters hat trick.

Being 21 now I thought I would remember much more before then, but my teenage years were spent partying slightly hindering my memory :/

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

First memory of attending Portman Road on 10:30 - Nov 11 with 1423 viewsdavblue

First memory of attending Portman Road on 10:03 - Nov 11 by MeenoITFC

I have been going to portman road with my father since I could walk, however my first MAJOR memory was us beating Bristol city 6-0 in 2007 singing 'we want 7'. Jonny walters hat trick.

Being 21 now I thought I would remember much more before then, but my teenage years were spent partying slightly hindering my memory :/

My first proper memory or something that has stuck with me was the Sheffield Wednesday game where they beat us 1-4 or 0-4 i can't quite remember the score in the early to is nineties. Carlton Palmer turned into Messi for the first and last time ever and scored a cracking goal.

The reason why it sticks out was i was in the Lower Cobbold stand and a few Ipswich fans were giving the Sheffield Wednesday fans some stick. A man who to my 7 year old self looked about 90 years old got on top of the boxes and was offering anybody who wanted a fight outside. i can still clearly see him in my mind and what he was saying "come on then, come on"
First memory of attending Portman Road on 14:53 - Nov 11 with 1355 viewsrickw

My first match was against West Ham at Christmas 1989 when I was 7.
I assumed it was on Boxing Day, however looking at the historical fixtures it was actually on Christmas Day - I have no idea how my Dad and uncle managed to get away with that!
https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/ipswich-town/1990/3/

Anyway we won 1-0, we were lower mid table at the time and they were near the top. I remember asking does that mean we swap places in the league now? :-)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

First memory of attending Portman Road on 15:46 - Nov 11 with 1316 viewsthatdamgood89

First memory of attending Portman Road on 14:53 - Nov 11 by rickw

My first match was against West Ham at Christmas 1989 when I was 7.
I assumed it was on Boxing Day, however looking at the historical fixtures it was actually on Christmas Day - I have no idea how my Dad and uncle managed to get away with that!
https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/ipswich-town/1990/3/

Anyway we won 1-0, we were lower mid table at the time and they were near the top. I remember asking does that mean we swap places in the league now? :-)

Thanks, guys these are brilliant. Some I absolutely wish I could have been at !! Look forward to discussing these memories on the podcast. Thanks for your help.

More welcome until 6.59 this evening

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

First memory of attending Portman Road on 17:32 - Nov 11 with 1258 viewsMy_Left_Foot

Ipswich 2-0 WBA

Beattie & Viljoen
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024