Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Re: Job applications 10:10 - Nov 11 with 2008 viewsunbelievablue

Some advice, please, gentle folk of TWTD.

I'm coming to the end of a FTC and am looking for something new. Alongside the usual 'dream job', 'pot shot' and 'perfectly suited' applications, I've also been applying to a number of roles for which I am undeniably overqualified, just in case, as back ups.

Thus far I've had a couple of interviews and assessments which haven't worked out, which is all par for the course, but what's been most intriguing is that not one of those back up applications have landed me even a first interview. Would it be fair to assume that HR departments, hiring managers etc. have no interest at all in hiring someone overqualified? Presumably because it feels like the candidate is 'settling' (which I would be) and would likely continue to look for more roles (which I would do)?

I'm strongly considering giving up applying to those back up jobs (approx 20% of my efforts) and focusing entirely elsewhere.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 10:19]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Re: Job applications on 10:15 - Nov 11 with 1967 viewsBlueBadger

'Gentile folk'?

What wrong with getting advice from Jews, you filthy Corbynite?
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 10:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Re: Job applications on 10:19 - Nov 11 with 1940 viewsunbelievablue

Re: Job applications on 10:15 - Nov 11 by BlueBadger

'Gentile folk'?

What wrong with getting advice from Jews, you filthy Corbynite?
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 10:15]

Oops. Genuinely meant gentle.

Re: Job applications on 10:20 - Nov 11 with 1937 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very much what you said. In the past I would always be reluctant to interview somebody who was overqualified as I’d always believe they were using me as a stop gap until something better came along.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Re: Job applications on 10:28 - Nov 11 with 1892 viewsBiGDonnie

I wouldn't hire someone who's overqualified based on the fact I know they'd be off within the year when something more senior comes up.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Re: Job applications on 10:31 - Nov 11 with 1880 viewsSteve_M

Probably. It's certainly one of the things I've looked for when filtering out CVs or applications. It does depend on the role and who else has applied though, and probably whether the company needs someone in urgently who can do the job so perhaps don't stop completely but shift the balance to, say, 90/10.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Re: Job applications on 10:33 - Nov 11 with 1869 viewsunbelievablue

Re: Job applications on 10:31 - Nov 11 by Steve_M

Probably. It's certainly one of the things I've looked for when filtering out CVs or applications. It does depend on the role and who else has applied though, and probably whether the company needs someone in urgently who can do the job so perhaps don't stop completely but shift the balance to, say, 90/10.

Yeah. Interestingly some of these roles are 6 month or 1 year FTC, which I thought would work in my favour, but evidently not (thus far).

Re: Job applications on 10:43 - Nov 11 with 1842 viewsOldsmoker

Are you going through Recruitment agencies?
These people only forward their best 5 candidates.
If you're not one of them then your CV doesn't even get to the employer.
Do you inlude a covering letter with the CV?
If you don't then this could be the reason for no interviews.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Re: Job applications on 10:44 - Nov 11 with 1833 viewsunbelievablue

Re: Job applications on 10:43 - Nov 11 by Oldsmoker

Are you going through Recruitment agencies?
These people only forward their best 5 candidates.
If you're not one of them then your CV doesn't even get to the employer.
Do you inlude a covering letter with the CV?
If you don't then this could be the reason for no interviews.

Nope.

Yes.

Login to get fewer ads

Re: Job applications on 10:56 - Nov 11 with 1799 viewsSteve_M

Re: Job applications on 10:33 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

Yeah. Interestingly some of these roles are 6 month or 1 year FTC, which I thought would work in my favour, but evidently not (thus far).

Certainly for a six month contract I wouldn't expect someone over-qualified to be a problem, unless some of the roles are contract to permanent ones.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Re: Job applications on 11:06 - Nov 11 with 1773 viewsOldsmoker

Re: Job applications on 10:44 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

Nope.

Yes.

Seems like you're in a tough marketplace.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Re: Job applications on 11:41 - Nov 11 with 1722 viewsipswich78

As you say, recruiters will look at your CV and question why you are applying for a role below your level of experience and come to the exact conclusion you mention. Hiring managers may also be scared / intimidated to recruit somebody who is potentially better than them as well...

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Re: Job applications on 12:06 - Nov 11 with 1682 viewsGaryCooper

A key skill for employees is resourcefulness, how about having different temperatures of CV for various roles?
Re: Job applications on 13:50 - Nov 11 with 1579 viewsDurovigutum

I occasionally put speculative applications in for roles that look interesting, and frequently get emails from agents asking if I'm interested in something which I occasionally respond to.

In the last few months I've put in for half a dozen, all have gone nowhere. On paper I looked perfect for two, two were vague but had the right job title, two were perhaps a little hopeful (a step up or a slightly different line of expertise).

Recruitment agents are, almost always, hopeless. In fact I blame them for part of the IT "skills crisis". They will get the first few CVs in and throw them at the client, very rarely understanding the skills or being able to add any value to the process of profiling candidates. They are only any use once you are past the first interview, when suddenly the pound signs light up their eyes and they want to be your best friend.

Also, never under-estimate the general poor quality of much middle-management and the HR drones that operate alongside them. Many have no idea what they are looking for, cannot conduct an interview, don't understand how to blend a team and more or less recruit a carbon copy of themselves. I go into many different companies for my current role and the paucity at this level almost always explains why I have to be there in the first place.

In the past I have done a few contract roles where I was over-qualified and have needed to explain why I wanted the job. I have also passed over candidates that were over-qualified, even though I subscribe to the "hire smarter people than you" mantra. It was because I knew they would get bored - some jobs need the infantry, some the engineers....
Re: Job applications on 14:02 - Nov 11 with 1549 viewsElephantintheRoom

The fact that you see yourself as 'overqualified' for a job might communicate itself to employers off the written word as well in an interview. Not sure it is possible to be 'overqualified' for a job as there is always a balance between realistic opportunity and necessity.... not to mention the balance between employing someone who is cheaper viz a viz someone with a firm knowledge of what they are doing. The sheer banality of the job market was best illustrated when I worked for a listed company many years ago - power office next to the head of recruitment. One liquid lunchtime he was moaning about the problem by being inundated with CV's from graduates in the annual round up. His solution? To chuck out any not from oxford, Cambridge or Durham. And where did you go? I asked. Hull, he replied with no sense of irony.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Re: Job applications on 15:33 - Nov 11 with 1457 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I heard that employers could reject an over-qualified candidate because they're more likely to be able to question things/orders etc, rather than just be 'yes' people and mindlessly obey like a lesser-qualified person would do.

Any truth in that?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Re: Job applications on 15:54 - Nov 11 with 1416 viewschicoazul

Re: Job applications on 10:28 - Nov 11 by BiGDonnie

I wouldn't hire someone who's overqualified based on the fact I know they'd be off within the year when something more senior comes up.

The British management problem summed up neatly by Callum here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Re: Job applications on 16:53 - Nov 11 with 1358 viewsGaryCooper

It may be that some people use the CV as a cock waver rather than a resume to apply for a particular position.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024