Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I must be old skool 10:52 - Nov 11 with 3190 viewsblueysbackside

On Saturday, I'd have played our strongest possible XI and gone for a 5-0 win. I just can't understand the modern day mentality of coaches.
I must be old skool on 10:54 - Nov 11 with 2918 viewsOldsmoker

I'm with you on this.
There have been a few threads discussing this already but I still think strongest side every game if possible.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I must be old skool on 10:57 - Nov 11 with 2908 viewsunbelievablue

I must be old skool on 10:54 - Nov 11 by Oldsmoker

I'm with you on this.
There have been a few threads discussing this already but I still think strongest side every game if possible.

Same tomorrow night? What about a friendly just before the season?

Goal: to get promoted.

If a game doesn't have a direct effect on that goal (points), I understand why managers don't bother fielding the strongest side.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

I must be old skool on 10:58 - Nov 11 with 2901 viewsWickets

I must be old skool on 10:54 - Nov 11 by Oldsmoker

I'm with you on this.

Not quite sure i would go that far but strongest for League and FA Cup for me. The other 2 cups and under 23's should keep the squad players somewhere near up to speed .
I must be old skool on 11:00 - Nov 11 with 2893 viewsOldsmoker

I must be old skool on 10:57 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

If a game doesn't have a direct effect on that goal (points), I understand why managers don't bother fielding the strongest side.

I can understand why managers chose to do this.
Doesn't mean I have to like it.

As you started the pre-season friendly question with "What about" I'm well within my rights to claim "Whatabouterry" and ignore that question.

I must be old skool on 11:01 - Nov 11 with 2885 viewsunbelievablue

I must be old skool on 11:00 - Nov 11 by Oldsmoker

I can understand why managers chose to do this.
Doesn't mean I have to like it.

As you started the pre-season friendly question with "What about" I'm well within my rights to claim "Whatabouterry" and ignore that question.

So glad I bothered to log on this morning. Christ.

I must be old skool on 11:03 - Nov 11 with 2882 viewsOldsmoker

I must be old skool on 11:01 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

So glad I bothered to log on this morning. Christ.

Good to have you here unbelievablue.
And no, I'm not the messiah - I'm a ..............

I must be old skool on 11:04 - Nov 11 with 2880 viewsblueysbackside

Be interested to know your age (under/over 30?).
There was a time when the FA Cup meant something.
Yes, for pre season friendlies play whomever you want. Likewise tomorrow.
But NOT for the FA Cup.
Jeez, can you imagine a fifth- or sixth-round tie at home as we go for for promotion?
I must be old skool on 11:06 - Nov 11 with 2874 viewsblueysbackside

The whole 'goal: to get promoted' is not really an argument. I assume you are saying that by playing a strong team we risk injuries etc. That's all nonsense.
Login to get fewer ads

I must be old skool on 11:07 - Nov 11 with 2870 viewsunbelievablue

I must be old skool on 11:04 - Nov 11 by blueysbackside

Be interested to know your age (under/over 30?).
There was a time when the FA Cup meant something.
Yes, for pre season friendlies play whomever you want. Likewise tomorrow.
But NOT for the FA Cup.
Jeez, can you imagine a fifth- or sixth-round tie at home as we go for for promotion?

29 last week. I wish it meant as much to me as it does to older folk. Fact is, it just doesn't. That's not my fault.

I must be old skool on 11:10 - Nov 11 with 2860 viewsblueysbackside

I must be old skool on 11:07 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

29 last week. I wish it meant as much to me as it does to older folk. Fact is, it just doesn't. That's not my fault.

I wasn't having a go at you, my Blues brother, just interested. I just don't get the whole 'play the reserves cos promotion is the priority'. Playing your strongest XI for the Cup CAN, actually, lead to promotion. I remember those games against Liverpool when we went up under Lyall. I can't be the only one who thinks that that cup run HELPED our bid for promotion. yes, of course you risk injuries. But the positives surely outweigh the negs?
I must be old skool on 11:12 - Nov 11 with 2853 viewsunbelievablue

I must be old skool on 11:10 - Nov 11 by blueysbackside

I wasn't having a go at you, my Blues brother, just interested. I just don't get the whole 'play the reserves cos promotion is the priority'. Playing your strongest XI for the Cup CAN, actually, lead to promotion. I remember those games against Liverpool when we went up under Lyall. I can't be the only one who thinks that that cup run HELPED our bid for promotion. yes, of course you risk injuries. But the positives surely outweigh the negs?

Maybe when we're flying in Div 2, but in Div 3 it's a different matter. We're already 2 games further away from the 5th round.

I'd love a good away tie as much as anyone and I was desperate for us to win, but I don't care that Lambert made all the changes.

I must be old skool on 11:24 - Nov 11 with 2840 viewsGavTWTD

I feel there's a happy medium in the middle. No need to make 10 changes, and what do you learn anyway? I feel that momentum is worth having and making fewer changes will be more beneficial. I'd have loved to see how Dobra would have played with more of our first 11, for example.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I must be old skool on 11:30 - Nov 11 with 2806 viewsBlueBadger

I must be old skool on 11:24 - Nov 11 by GavTWTD

I feel there's a happy medium in the middle. No need to make 10 changes, and what do you learn anyway? I feel that momentum is worth having and making fewer changes will be more beneficial. I'd have loved to see how Dobra would have played with more of our first 11, for example.

It's only 11 but Gav has the POTD in the bag.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I must be old skool on 12:04 - Nov 11 with 2755 viewsGaryCooper

I have been a big critic of previous managers who have shown no respect for the trophy that was part of one of the best days in my life. MM was the worst, saving players for the following league game that we always ended up losing.

This year I agree though, we have to get back in the championship at the first attempt, we can not afford injuries to key players, we are not aiming for mid table obscurity as with the previous seasons.
I must be old skool on 12:06 - Nov 11 with 2748 viewsGuthrum

It wasn't an utterly weak side (e.g. mostly raw U23s). Some of those were the players the fans want progressing into the League starting eleven (Huws, Dozzell, Dobra). Even Nsiala, Keane and Donacien are ones we need to see pushing on, given they are important back-ups for key positions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I must be old skool on 12:08 - Nov 11 with 2740 viewsITFCBlues

I must be old skool on 10:58 - Nov 11 by Wickets

Not quite sure i would go that far but strongest for League and FA Cup for me. The other 2 cups and under 23's should keep the squad players somewhere near up to speed .

One cup we're no longer in and the other which is once a month. Are you going to tell senior players to play for the U23's then? In a game that's effectively nothing like a first team game. Just imagine Norwood played and picked up a serious injury. Missed the rest of the season and as a result we missed out on promotion. See McGoldrick against Southampton a few years back.

What would happen to Lambert? Lose his job?

If McGoldrick hadn't played against Southampton, who knows where we'd be now....

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I must be old skool on 13:50 - Nov 11 with 2671 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I must be old skool on 12:04 - Nov 11 by GaryCooper

I have been a big critic of previous managers who have shown no respect for the trophy that was part of one of the best days in my life. MM was the worst, saving players for the following league game that we always ended up losing.

This year I agree though, we have to get back in the championship at the first attempt, we can not afford injuries to key players, we are not aiming for mid table obscurity as with the previous seasons.

That’s another myth re McCarthy- our record for the game after the initial FA Cup third round game during his tenure was P6, W3, D1 and L2

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I must be old skool on 13:51 - Nov 11 with 2665 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I must be old skool on 12:08 - Nov 11 by ITFCBlues

One cup we're no longer in and the other which is once a month. Are you going to tell senior players to play for the U23's then? In a game that's effectively nothing like a first team game. Just imagine Norwood played and picked up a serious injury. Missed the rest of the season and as a result we missed out on promotion. See McGoldrick against Southampton a few years back.

What would happen to Lambert? Lose his job?

If McGoldrick hadn't played against Southampton, who knows where we'd be now....

McGoldrick only missed 2 games following the Southampton tie during which we won 1 and lost 1. He then featured in the Wigan and Rotherham games before basically being lost for the rest of the season

I must be old skool on 14:08 - Nov 11 with 2634 viewsITFCBlues

I must be old skool on 13:51 - Nov 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

McGoldrick only missed 2 games following the Southampton tie during which we won 1 and lost 1. He then featured in the Wigan and Rotherham games before basically being lost for the rest of the season

Because we rushed him back from his initial injury. He needed wrapping in cotton wool

Wodscallop. (n/t) on 14:10 - Nov 11 with 2632 viewsBloots

I must be old skool on 12:04 - Nov 11 by GaryCooper

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I must be old skool on 14:15 - Nov 11 with 2622 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I must be old skool on 14:08 - Nov 11 by ITFCBlues

Because we rushed him back from his initial injury. He needed wrapping in cotton wool

That rather implies that it wasn’t quite as simple as him being injured vs Southampton derailed our season though, doesn’t it?

I must be old skool on 14:37 - Nov 11 with 2601 viewsrickw

I must be old skool on 12:06 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

It wasn't an utterly weak side (e.g. mostly raw U23s). Some of those were the players the fans want progressing into the League starting eleven (Huws, Dozzell, Dobra). Even Nsiala, Keane and Donacien are ones we need to see pushing on, given they are important back-ups for key positions.

It wasn't a weak team but too many changes to keep the momentum.

I would have perhaps given Chambers + Skuse a break, played Dozzell and any others who'll be missing Tuesday but other than that play as strong as possible to finally break our FA cup jinx - especially as we have no league games for a while....

I wonder if it will be a similar team Tuesday, if it is - then how many of our backup players will break down after playing 2 games in 3 days?

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

I must be old skool on 14:41 - Nov 11 with 2592 viewsrickw

I must be old skool on 11:07 - Nov 11 by unbelievablue

I grew up in the 80's when English teams were banned from Europe and there was no such thing as Sky Sports or the Premier League.

The league was your run of the mill day to day football, where-as the FA Cup was on TV and was for the glamour and the glory - it will never be that again....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

I must be old skool on 15:04 - Nov 11 with 2572 viewsITFCBlues

I must be old skool on 14:15 - Nov 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That rather implies that it wasn’t quite as simple as him being injured vs Southampton derailed our season though, doesn’t it?

Well, if he never got injured in the first instance...

He was that key he we had to get him on the pitch.

I must be old skool on 15:07 - Nov 11 with 2565 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I must be old skool on 15:04 - Nov 11 by ITFCBlues

Well, if he never got injured in the first instance...

He was that key he we had to get him on the pitch.

But the same applies if we hadn’t rushed him back

We subsequently won 3 of the next 4 after he aggravated his injury too
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 15:10]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024