Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"lads are never going to play 60 games" 17:16 - Nov 11 with 5515 viewschicoazul

Jesus H shut up mate. Messi regularly plays 50 games a season, de Ligt played 55 last year, Azpilicueta plays 50 regularly, plenty of the Luton guys played 50+ last season. This is such tiring BS and sounds like getting excuses in early for any possible failure this year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:21 - Nov 11 with 3979 viewskizaitfc

And if we had Messi, De Ligt and Azpilicueta we would be playing them 60 games this season.

Fact is we don't! We have a lot of injury prone players and 2 of our best players just having gone operations to help fix those issues.

Would like to see your proof on Luton players as I think that stat may be well off. If it is the case it is very much likely that they had to play due to a small squad. We have a decent sized squad of players that should be capable of winning 80% of games this season

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:23 - Nov 11 with 3952 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:21 - Nov 11 by kizaitfc

And if we had Messi, De Ligt and Azpilicueta we would be playing them 60 games this season.

Fact is we don't! We have a lot of injury prone players and 2 of our best players just having gone operations to help fix those issues.

Would like to see your proof on Luton players as I think that stat may be well off. If it is the case it is very much likely that they had to play due to a small squad. We have a decent sized squad of players that should be capable of winning 80% of games this season

Luton had a very settled team for most of last season.

From a previous post of mine;

"They had 6 players who each made over 40 league appearances. Two of these played all 46 matches, one played 45 and another played 44.

They had a further 3 who played over 35 matches.

So thats 9 of the squad who were very consistently in the first XI."

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:43 - Nov 11 with 3926 viewskizaitfc

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:23 - Nov 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Luton had a very settled team for most of last season.

From a previous post of mine;

"They had 6 players who each made over 40 league appearances. Two of these played all 46 matches, one played 45 and another played 44.

They had a further 3 who played over 35 matches.

So thats 9 of the squad who were very consistently in the first XI."

So not 50 or 60???

I imagine Norwood, Jackson, Downes, Chambers, Garbutt will all hit roughly the 40 mark or 90% of games by the end of the season too (minus injuries).

I just struggle to see why fans are attacking PL's rotation system so much, we are top of the league!

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:45 - Nov 11 with 3918 viewskizaitfc

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:43 - Nov 11 by kizaitfc

So not 50 or 60???

I imagine Norwood, Jackson, Downes, Chambers, Garbutt will all hit roughly the 40 mark or 90% of games by the end of the season too (minus injuries).

I just struggle to see why fans are attacking PL's rotation system so much, we are top of the league!

And on several occassions fans moaned at Mick for nto giving youngsters a go and letting some players rot in the reserves before only giving them a chance when others were injured.

We need our full team up to speed, we have already seen various injuries this season and seen how when we miss Downes and Norwood we look a far weaker squad. So we need to have players fit and ready to come in when they are injured/suspended

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:45 - Nov 11 with 3915 viewsonlymehere

I agree with you.
"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:47 - Nov 11 with 3916 viewschicoazul

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:43 - Nov 11 by kizaitfc

So not 50 or 60???

Have you seen us play this year? There's a reason our midfield and general pattern of play is malfunctioning so much.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:02 - Nov 11 with 3872 viewssundaze

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:47 - Nov 11 by chicoazul

Have you seen us play this year? There's a reason our midfield and general pattern of play is malfunctioning so much.

So I guess this means that our squad is too large. We need to offload at least eight of them as they are not needed and are costing the club money for doing nothing.
"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:04 - Nov 11 with 3869 viewsGarv

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:47 - Nov 11 by chicoazul

It's had its moments.

No one really knew how we were going to manage the ridiculous amount of midfielders we have at the club. This is what we've ended up doing. We're top. Can't complaint too much.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:15 - Nov 11 with 3855 viewsActionMan

George Burley.

Relegated with a budget of f'all with our then worst team on record. We only ever had a small squad, he also had to sell players to improve the squad and still only finished outside the top 6 of any league 3 times one of which wasn't his doing. We would also be competing to our fullest in the league, we got to the Quarter Finals and Semi Finals of League Cup, qualified for the Europa League twice. We even gave the Anglo-Italian Cup a real go and were shocked by Port Vale of all sides. We beat Premier League Champions such as Blackburn and Manchester United and beat them well. Players like Wilnis, Venus, Clapham, Holland, Scowcroft, Wright would play every game. We had players who played internationally for England U21's regularly during that same period. Did they need a rest every other game?

Winning and success is ant attitude as much as anything else, Burley felt this club should be a top team and treated the job with that much respect. We've been in the haze of Evans's make do on the cheap for so long we've lost sense of what a club this once was.

History doesn't remember participants it remembers winners.
"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:32 - Nov 11 with 3815 viewsSwansea_Blue

Er, if I was going to be all OCD about it, none of those examples you’ve given are for 60 games

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:35 - Nov 11 with 3806 viewsSwansea_Blue

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:04 - Nov 11 by Garv

It's had its moments.

No one really knew how we were going to manage the ridiculous amount of midfielders we have at the club. This is what we've ended up doing. We're top. Can't complaint too much.

Can’t complain too much? What, are you insane? How else are we supposed to keep happy?

Clegg Out!

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:40 - Nov 11 with 3789 viewsReuser_is_God

Chico, do you like Lambert or not? You’ve never made it quite clear.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:45 - Nov 11 with 3773 viewsTrequartista

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 18:15 - Nov 11 by ActionMan

George Burley.

Relegated with a budget of f'all with our then worst team on record. We only ever had a small squad, he also had to sell players to improve the squad and still only finished outside the top 6 of any league 3 times one of which wasn't his doing. We would also be competing to our fullest in the league, we got to the Quarter Finals and Semi Finals of League Cup, qualified for the Europa League twice. We even gave the Anglo-Italian Cup a real go and were shocked by Port Vale of all sides. We beat Premier League Champions such as Blackburn and Manchester United and beat them well. Players like Wilnis, Venus, Clapham, Holland, Scowcroft, Wright would play every game. We had players who played internationally for England U21's regularly during that same period. Did they need a rest every other game?

Winning and success is ant attitude as much as anything else, Burley felt this club should be a top team and treated the job with that much respect. We've been in the haze of Evans's make do on the cheap for so long we've lost sense of what a club this once was.

Not the greatest example. All the years we had good cup runs we ran out of steam in the play-offs. When we won the play-offs, we had been knocked out of both domestic cups at the first hurdle. Then in 2001-02, we scored something like 1 point from 18 in games played immediately after a UEFA Cup match.

Having said that, Lambert should have changed 5 or 6 on Saturday, not 10. Getting a replay just defeats the object.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:34 - Nov 11 with 3658 viewsLeoMuff

George Burley.

A completely different era, one where we could buy some of the best players in the league, eg Stewart, Holland, Magilton, Rueser, Johnson.

The sports science has changed, just listen to Tony Adams half the British lads had a drink problem and stopped as they couldn’t compete with the foreign players in the Burley era.

We now know rest is key to performance and as we spent months moaning how MM injured half our squad, maybe we should listen now someone is talking about rest.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:35 - Nov 11 with 3653 viewsOldsmoker

44 league 1 games
1 League cup game
2 FA cup games (realistically)
3 EFLT games so far.
That's 50, so he could be right, as we're not even scheduled to play 60.
Holy would be the most likely to play the most games and he's played just 13 out of 19 so far.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:39 - Nov 11 with 3632 viewsBloomBlue

And look how that impacts Messi now, got to the business end of the season last year and didnt have the energy to keep up with Liverpool, similar the year before . Never delivers for Argentina at the end of the season. It's called burn out
"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:45 - Nov 11 with 3615 viewsOldsmoker

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:39 - Nov 11 by BloomBlue

And look how that impacts Messi now, got to the business end of the season last year and didnt have the energy to keep up with Liverpool, similar the year before . Never delivers for Argentina at the end of the season. It's called burn out

I agree.
The second half of the season is where teams that get promoted kick on.
Our squad ensures that we'll win games against teams that have burnt-out players.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:59 - Nov 11 with 3587 viewsSwansea_Blue

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:39 - Nov 11 by BloomBlue

A few more games rest and Messi could be as good as Jon Nolan.

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 20:29 - Nov 11 with 3525 viewsitfcjoe

George Burley.

I like this paragraph:

And if you’d listened to Paul Lambert you’d have assumed he thinks the same, but actions speak louder than words. We just give up in every cup every season and it’s a poor mentality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 21:20 - Nov 11 with 3432 viewsBlueBadger

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:34 - Nov 11 by LeoMuff

A completely different era, one where we could buy some of the best players in the league, eg Stewart, Holland, Magilton, Rueser, Johnson.

The sports science has changed, just listen to Tony Adams half the British lads had a drink problem and stopped as they couldn’t compete with the foreign players in the Burley era.

We now know rest is key to performance and as we spent months moaning how MM injured half our squad, maybe we should listen now someone is talking about rest.

Of those players, only Stewart could be described as the 'best in the league' when we bought in.
Holland was a lower-league punt, Magilton wasn't wanted by his loaning club, Reuser was seeking a way back after a nasty injury and JOhnson was an up-and-comer playing for a newly promoted side.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 21:29 - Nov 11 with 3414 viewsBloomBlue

George Burley.

Trouble is history does remember winners but true winners people who win the league not just finishing in the top 6, the winners of a cup not those who reach the semi or qtr finals or participate. Whether you/l/we like it or not history will remember Burley as the manager who's team lost 9-0 and were relegated the season after finishing 5th history wont picture Burley as a winner
"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 21:44 - Nov 11 with 3388 viewsTerry_Nutkins

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 17:45 - Nov 11 by kizaitfc

And on several occassions fans moaned at Mick for nto giving youngsters a go and letting some players rot in the reserves before only giving them a chance when others were injured.

We need our full team up to speed, we have already seen various injuries this season and seen how when we miss Downes and Norwood we look a far weaker squad. So we need to have players fit and ready to come in when they are injured/suspended

It used to be Mick's favourites was the moan as he played a settled team. Now it's Lamberts fault for being too because he won't play the same players week in week out. You just know it's some of the same people.

I get the FA cup team frustration. But He has us top and game(s) in hand. If you can't trust him for that alone then what can you trust. You can't compare Apple's with pears either. Look at the amount of young players in our squad. We also.have quite are coming back from injuries. The staff have come up with a plan to manage the team based on these factors as well. I still believe there will be a more settled team for the last 20 games. I think it's a case of building the season and finishing strongly.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 22:29 - Nov 11 with 3321 viewsEwan_Oozami

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 21:29 - Nov 11 by BloomBlue

Trouble is history does remember winners but true winners people who win the league not just finishing in the top 6, the winners of a cup not those who reach the semi or qtr finals or participate. Whether you/l/we like it or not history will remember Burley as the manager who's team lost 9-0 and were relegated the season after finishing 5th history wont picture Burley as a winner

He did win Premier League Manager of the Year in 2000-2001 when we finished 5th..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 22:47 - Nov 11 with 3293 viewsDinnernotTea

If blokes in their 20s can't play 60 over 10 months then we're in trouble. Lambert better pray none of these players make in as an England international. If they do then 60 will be their minimum per season.

I absolutely hate this modern myth of 'resting' players. Cheap excuses just in case you get knocked out. Lambert lacked balls and respect on Saturday. Simple as that.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 22:52 - Nov 11 with 3294 viewsActionMan

"lads are never going to play 60 games" on 19:34 - Nov 11 by LeoMuff

Are we saying the people who were fed bacon and eggs who played full contact football were fitter and hardier than the pasta and rice sports science generation...

As for not competing with the foreign players of the era I seem to remember almost wholly British and Irish players making up the teams winning the Champions League, Europa League and Cup Winners Cup on a semi regular basis prior to the money league being formed and the English players being muscled out of the top clubs. The England team would regularly make the final stages of competitions too... Even the Scots would quality.... Now the best we can hope for as England fans is that we play the worse teams in any competition in order to progress because as soon as we come up against anyone who can play we lose easily.

It's all guff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024