Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
These figures are mind boggling 10:48 - Nov 15 with 2053 viewsgerryitfc

What the hell are we doing to this planet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50429119
These figures are mind boggling on 10:50 - Nov 15 with 1694 viewschicoazul

This is why it is utterly ridiculous for us to think that anything we do in this country regards waste or power or eating meat or anything else will have any effect at all on man made climate change.

Climate change is not *happening*. It has happened.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

These figures are mind boggling on 10:51 - Nov 15 with 1689 viewsElephantintheRoom

Landfill to you.... 'recycling' to your local council. Though to their credit the Chinese no longer take some of our rubbish so we can feel smug

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

These figures are mind boggling on 10:52 - Nov 15 with 1684 viewsStokieBlue

These figures are mind boggling on 10:50 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

This is why it is utterly ridiculous for us to think that anything we do in this country regards waste or power or eating meat or anything else will have any effect at all on man made climate change.

This simply isn't true though. If the EU went carbon neutral by 2050 it would make a huge difference to global emissions.

Just because China is making a mess it doesn't mean we shouldn't try and move on from the current accepted norms.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

These figures are mind boggling on 10:54 - Nov 15 with 1667 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 10:52 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

This simply isn't true though. If the EU went carbon neutral by 2050 it would make a huge difference to global emissions.

Just because China is making a mess it doesn't mean we shouldn't try and move on from the current accepted norms.

SB

We're leaving the EU.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

These figures are mind boggling on 10:55 - Nov 15 with 1659 viewsStokieBlue

These figures are mind boggling on 10:54 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

We're leaving the EU.

If we do or we don't it doesn't mean we can't cooperate on things like this.

SB

These figures are mind boggling on 11:00 - Nov 15 with 1640 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 10:55 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

If we do or we don't it doesn't mean we can't cooperate on things like this.

SB

Unless the likes of China India Mexico and the US change incredibly radically incredibly quickly, it is totally pointless to further wreck or stall our tinpot country's economy. When will people learn we are totally irrelevant on the world stage? The EU could stop all carbon tomorrow and Asia alone would still produce gazillions of emissions.

These figures are mind boggling on 11:05 - Nov 15 with 1633 viewsStokieBlue

These figures are mind boggling on 11:00 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

Unless the likes of China India Mexico and the US change incredibly radically incredibly quickly, it is totally pointless to further wreck or stall our tinpot country's economy. When will people learn we are totally irrelevant on the world stage? The EU could stop all carbon tomorrow and Asia alone would still produce gazillions of emissions.

EU accounts for 13-15% of global emissions.

It would make a difference regardless of what those other countries do. It's hard though so best not to try.

Europe as a whole is not irrelevant on the world stage, in fact the EU has the largest GDP.

SB

These figures are mind boggling on 11:38 - Nov 15 with 1579 viewsSwansea_Blue

This story is about rubbish though. What we in the UK can do is generate less of the stuff in the first place, so we send less overseas. We can choose package-lite products, use our own receptacles wherever possible, shop in places where everything isn't boxed then wrapped in film on top.We could put pressure on politicians to legislate for more at source processing too.

We've stopped buying any fruit and veg in supermarkets as it's all wrapped and we've gone back to only buying glass bottles and jars wherever possible. We're lucky to have a local farmers market that's more convenient, seels local stuff and often is considerably cheaper than the supermarkets. Not everyone is so lucky, but if the public cared rather than shrugging and saying there's nothing we can do, demand could be used to change retailers habits or support new more environmentally friendly businesses/markets.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

These figures are mind boggling on 11:41 - Nov 15 with 1571 viewsBluefish

Watch the film Wall:E it isn't just a animated film, it is almost a documentary

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

These figures are mind boggling on 11:46 - Nov 15 with 1556 viewsSwansea_Blue

These figures are mind boggling on 11:41 - Nov 15 by Bluefish

Watch the film Wall:E it isn't just a animated film, it is almost a documentary

Never seen that, but we do have in on DVD

(in a plastic package, that probably came shrink wrapped too. I'm a hypocrite and a sinner )

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

These figures are mind boggling on 11:48 - Nov 15 with 1548 viewsBluefish

These figures are mind boggling on 11:46 - Nov 15 by Swansea_Blue

Never seen that, but we do have in on DVD

(in a plastic package, that probably came shrink wrapped too. I'm a hypocrite and a sinner )

Highly recommend. As with many Disney there is a deep but real message

These figures are mind boggling on 11:48 - Nov 15 with 1549 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 11:05 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

It would make a difference regardless of what those other countries do. It's hard though so best not to try.

Europe as a whole is not irrelevant on the world stage, in fact the EU has the largest GDP.

SB

15% is not a lot at all. But *us* luv, us. And once again we are leaving the EU. This is all mind boggling to me, this idea that anything our country does matters a jot anymore.
If we had some ham we could have eggs and ham, if we had some eggs.

These figures are mind boggling on 11:50 - Nov 15 with 1544 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 11:38 - Nov 15 by Swansea_Blue

This story is about rubbish though. What we in the UK can do is generate less of the stuff in the first place, so we send less overseas. We can choose package-lite products, use our own receptacles wherever possible, shop in places where everything isn't boxed then wrapped in film on top.We could put pressure on politicians to legislate for more at source processing too.

We've stopped buying any fruit and veg in supermarkets as it's all wrapped and we've gone back to only buying glass bottles and jars wherever possible. We're lucky to have a local farmers market that's more convenient, seels local stuff and often is considerably cheaper than the supermarkets. Not everyone is so lucky, but if the public cared rather than shrugging and saying there's nothing we can do, demand could be used to change retailers habits or support new more environmentally friendly businesses/markets.

This is all true and I do some of these things myself already. It doesnt matter at all though in the grand scheme of things from a pure environmental standpoint. Not at all.

These figures are mind boggling on 11:50 - Nov 15 with 1542 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 11:48 - Nov 15 by Bluefish

Highly recommend. As with many Disney there is a deep but real message

Yes. Wall E for instance, is a film about a date rapist.

These figures are mind boggling on 11:53 - Nov 15 with 1540 viewsBluefish

These figures are mind boggling on 11:50 - Nov 15 by chicoazul

Yes. Wall E for instance, is a film about a date rapist.

Pardon? Eva gets raped? Was that in the bonus scenes?

These figures are mind boggling on 11:54 - Nov 15 with 1537 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 11:53 - Nov 15 by Bluefish

Pardon? Eva gets raped? Was that in the bonus scenes?

You know that bit where Eva goes to sleep and Wall E forcibly opens her arm aperture and puts his hand inside it? Yeah.

These figures are mind boggling on 12:16 - Nov 15 with 1507 viewsClapham_Junction

These figures are mind boggling on 11:05 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Also, it's about showing it can be done.

If we don't do it, developing countries will (quite justifiably) question why they should have to.
These figures are mind boggling on 12:18 - Nov 15 with 1501 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 12:16 - Nov 15 by Clapham_Junction

Also, it's about showing it can be done.

If we don't do it, developing countries will (quite justifiably) question why they should have to.

Ah the myth of British exceptionalism, the curse of all our classes, rears its' ugly snout once more. Nobody in Indonesia or Nigeria cares one single swollen bit about what the British are doing.

These figures are mind boggling on 12:33 - Nov 15 with 1482 viewsNthQldITFC

I think your statement is true to a first approximation, but you also have to take into account the 'potential' of leadership and setting an example to other countries. Vain hope maybe, but perhaps its all we realistically have.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

These figures are mind boggling on 12:37 - Nov 15 with 1474 viewsPlums

Except from an economic point of view, it’s one of the markets remaining that we can lead. If we develop a green economy, we will make a fortune when the big polluters need to buy in to the technology to stop themselves choking to death.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

These figures are mind boggling on 12:56 - Nov 15 with 1452 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 12:33 - Nov 15 by NthQldITFC

I think your statement is true to a first approximation, but you also have to take into account the 'potential' of leadership and setting an example to other countries. Vain hope maybe, but perhaps its all we realistically have.

Our time influencing and leading a part or a large part of the world is over. It finished in 1914 and we have lived with the consequences ever since. Nobody in developing countries thinks "hhmmm actually the British are doing X so that's a great example". The leading countries of the World are the US China Japan Germany and the leading developing economies such as Nigeria Indonesia Brazil and Mexico. They arent looking to the British for leadership. It's laughable to think they would.

These figures are mind boggling on 12:57 - Nov 15 with 1448 viewschicoazul

These figures are mind boggling on 12:37 - Nov 15 by Plums

Except from an economic point of view, it’s one of the markets remaining that we can lead. If we develop a green economy, we will make a fortune when the big polluters need to buy in to the technology to stop themselves choking to death.

Ludicrous. Sorry. The rest of the world dont care and are too busy laughing at/wondering at us.

These figures are mind boggling on 13:22 - Nov 15 with 1414 viewsjeera

India is starting to wake up to it though to be fair, although it's not like they have much choice.

The pollution levels in some areas have become beyond a joke so inaction is not an option.

How action will be implemented I've no idea, mind, not on that scale.

But, they gotta start somewhere.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

These figures are mind boggling on 15:45 - Nov 15 with 1365 viewsbrazil1982

These figures are mind boggling on 10:52 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

SB

I agree we should try - but the idea that the EU can be totally carbon neutral is fantasy I'm afraid. There is so much more nations can do though.
These figures are mind boggling on 16:20 - Nov 15 with 1342 viewsRadlett_blue

These figures are mind boggling on 11:38 - Nov 15 by Swansea_Blue

The plastic bag tax has made a big difference to behaviour - consumption of single use plastic bags has fallen by 70%. Not a big deal in global terms, but lots of small things make a difference. We should also target plastic water bottles - totally unnecessary in a country with perfectly drinkable water. I was in Cambodia recently where they have a big rubbish problem and all the hotels in which I stayed were "plastic free".
We could and should do more to keep cars out of city centres.
Yes, the pollution from industrial manufacturing is a much harder issue to solve as we can't really tell China & India what to do.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024