Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday afternoon question 14:44 - Nov 15 with 7035 viewshomer_123

I am genuinely struggling who to vote for in the GE.

I live in a Tory stronghold - in many respects my vote will make no difference (sadly).

I cannot, in good conscience, vote Tory. The thought of BJ continuing and with a majority is unthinkable and unpalatable. They called the referendum in the first place, austerity to the nth degree etc etc etc

However, I cannot say that I really want to vote for Labour either - again, the thoughts of JC as PM is equally disturbing. Not only that but it's a party controlled, in many respects, by Momentum - which is not healthy at all.

Lib Dems/ Green - feels like I am doubly wasting my vote!

Any help and advice required - I can't be the only person struggling?!?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Friday afternoon question on 14:45 - Nov 15 with 4150 viewsJ2BLUE

Same. Can't even draw a cock on the ballot paper in case they count it as a vote for Boris.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Friday afternoon question on 14:57 - Nov 15 with 4127 viewsHogger

I would say wait till nearer the election and see which party the tactical voting sites say has best chance of stopping the Tories. We are in Liz Truss's constituency and I will happily lend my vote to either Labour or Lib Dems if either have a chance to stop this 9 years of downhill madness. And to register my despise of what they have done (and will do even more if they win now) to the UK. Certainly no Corbyn fan but there are many good Labour MPs and you do't vote for the president here (yet!)
Friday afternoon question on 14:57 - Nov 15 with 4127 viewsKeaneish

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I haven’t read a single policy I strongly believe in which is quite a sad indictment. Everything feels pithy at best.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Friday afternoon question on 15:02 - Nov 15 with 4111 viewsVaughan8

You're not the only one. I'm in the same situation, a Tory stronghold so my vote will not make any difference as well.

No idea who to vote for. I'm not easily swayed by "free broadband for all" as a legit reason to vote for that party.

They both seem to say "we're not the other one" which isn't really a reason. Also I really need to find a simple breakdown of policies so I can make my own mind up and try and filter out the rubbish.
Friday afternoon question on 15:44 - Nov 15 with 4042 viewsbrazil1982

An Independent?
Friday afternoon question on 16:48 - Nov 15 with 4016 viewsfactual_blue

Vote for whoever is best placed to beat the tory. Win or lose the election, Mr Corbyn will have been replaced by Sir Keir Starmer as Labour leader by 15 December.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Friday afternoon question on 16:54 - Nov 15 with 3996 viewsgordon

Friday afternoon question on 16:48 - Nov 15 by factual_blue

Vote for whoever is best placed to beat the tory. Win or lose the election, Mr Corbyn will have been replaced by Sir Keir Starmer as Labour leader by 15 December.

What's that based on, out of interest?
Friday afternoon question on 17:00 - Nov 15 with 3986 viewsgordon

Friday afternoon question on 14:45 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Same. Can't even draw a cock on the ballot paper in case they count it as a vote for Boris.

The downside of a Tory majority is that we end up trying to push on with Brexit, which will then dominate politics and public debate for years as various sectors of the economy are sacrificed etc and we ruin our standing in the world.

Or we end up with a loose coalition of Lab/Lib Dem/SNP/Plaid/Green which doesn't agree on much apart from holding a second referendum. Then Brexit is likely put to bed (hopefully) and we can get on with being a proper country again.
Login to get fewer ads

Friday afternoon question on 17:02 - Nov 15 with 3977 viewsJ2BLUE

If that is true then why haven't they done it now when it could make a massive difference?

Truly impaired.

Friday afternoon question on 17:03 - Nov 15 with 3981 viewsElephantintheRoom

So do I - but I do not know anybody who intends to vote tory this time. People with a modicum of intelligence seem to realise that those who created the mess the country is in cannot be trusted to anything but make it worse. BJ doesnt seem to realise that 50% of tory voters voted to remain and most of them loathe him, his cabinet - and his phoney deal. Vote for the party most likely to unseat your callous tory = presumably a sandal wearing lib dem.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Friday afternoon question on 17:05 - Nov 15 with 3974 viewsfactual_blue

Friday afternoon question on 16:54 - Nov 15 by gordon

Friday afternoon question on 17:21 - Nov 15 with 3957 viewsbrogansnose

In my constituency the Tory majority is just under 17 thousand with the LD candidate the closest.Its going to take one almighty swing to change so my vote ,and my sons, will be lost which depresses the hell out of me. I chuffin' hate this lot and to rub it in they're smirking , like Patel being questioned yesterday about immigration, and coming out with total scheisse knowing full well it matters not one jot.
Friday afternoon question on 17:58 - Nov 15 with 3906 viewsfactual_blue

Friday afternoon question on 17:21 - Nov 15 by brogansnose

In my constituency the Tory majority is just under 17 thousand with the LD candidate the closest.Its going to take one almighty swing to change so my vote ,and my sons, will be lost which depresses the hell out of me. I chuffin' hate this lot and to rub it in they're smirking , like Patel being questioned yesterday about immigration, and coming out with total scheisse knowing full well it matters not one jot.

But one has to try.

Be the change you want, and all that.

Friday afternoon question on 18:29 - Nov 15 with 3877 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I agree with the OP entirely.

Tempted to vote LibDem.

If only all those who don't vote got out and voted for something different, all these "safe seats" might actually see a change.

I really feel my vote will make no difference but will always vote.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Friday afternoon question on 18:43 - Nov 15 with 3861 viewsWD19

Friday afternoon question on 16:54 - Nov 15 by gordon

It’s a fair punt to be honest. Was thinking the same in the car this morning.

Boris is unlikely to win a clear majority.
Labour won’t win a majority.
Nobody will enter coalition with Boris.
Lib Dem’s will only enter a coalition if it involves a referendum.
SNP will demand another independence referendum.
Coalition could be possible if JC goes and the other parties get their referendums promised.
Friday afternoon question on 08:28 - Nov 16 with 3742 viewstabletopjoe

Remember that voting for these self serving idiots only gives them more of a mandate to waste our hard earned cash (well most of us)

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Friday afternoon question on 11:30 - Nov 16 with 3703 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm thinking I might vote Labour.

Realistically it's the only faint hope we have of avoiding Brexit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Friday afternoon question on 16:18 - Nov 16 with 3602 viewsSwansea_Blue

Friday afternoon question on 17:21 - Nov 15 by brogansnose

Vote 17,000 times then. It looks like that’s what my missus does in Strictly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Friday afternoon question on 16:26 - Nov 16 with 3593 viewsgordon

Friday afternoon question on 18:43 - Nov 15 by WD19

It’s a fair punt to be honest. Was thinking the same in the car this morning.

Boris is unlikely to win a clear majority.
Labour won’t win a majority.
Nobody will enter coalition with Boris.
Lib Dem’s will only enter a coalition if it involves a referendum.
SNP will demand another independence referendum.
Coalition could be possible if JC goes and the other parties get their referendums promised.

Sure, but can't really see Corbyn stepping aside, or Momentum letting him being pushed out the way.

If Starmer was Labour leader now they would win the GE. What Labour need is someone who can get across the detail of policy, to show up Boris for basically not having a clue. Corbyn can't manage this, but Starmer would embarrass Boris one-on-one.
Friday afternoon question on 16:43 - Nov 16 with 3565 viewsWD19

Friday afternoon question on 16:26 - Nov 16 by gordon

Sure, but can't really see Corbyn stepping aside, or Momentum letting him being pushed out the way.

If Starmer was Labour leader now they would win the GE. What Labour need is someone who can get across the detail of policy, to show up Boris for basically not having a clue. Corbyn can't manage this, but Starmer would embarrass Boris one-on-one.

This has been the case for years, but be careful you don’t upset the fanboys.
Friday afternoon question on 16:50 - Nov 16 with 3556 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Friday afternoon question on 08:28 - Nov 16 by tabletopjoe

Remember that voting for these self serving idiots only gives them more of a mandate to waste our hard earned cash (well most of us)

If they cared how many people voted for them and felt that gave them a mandate, they would notice they are always elected by fewer than a third of the electorate. All the self-serving ones care about is being elected. Failing to vote allows someone to be elected.

If you want Brexit vote for the Brexit-Conservative alliance. If you want more of the same impasse vote Conservative. If you want remain vote LibDem. If you want another different deal with the option for the people to decide on it vote Labour. If only it was that simple, though. I cannot see any outcome to this election that does anything other than continue the impasse.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Friday afternoon question on 17:09 - Nov 16 with 3544 viewspointofblue

Friday afternoon question on 16:50 - Nov 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

If they cared how many people voted for them and felt that gave them a mandate, they would notice they are always elected by fewer than a third of the electorate. All the self-serving ones care about is being elected. Failing to vote allows someone to be elected.

If you want Brexit vote for the Brexit-Conservative alliance. If you want more of the same impasse vote Conservative. If you want remain vote LibDem. If you want another different deal with the option for the people to decide on it vote Labour. If only it was that simple, though. I cannot see any outcome to this election that does anything other than continue the impasse.

I agree, all this election is likely to do is prolong the uncertainty. A referendum would have been better than this; at least there may have been some kind of result.

As for who I'm going to vote for, I'll do waht I always have done - wait for the referendums to be published and consider which one I can support the most in return. No single party as ever published a manifesto which I agree with in full so it's about how much I can hold my nose for.

Yes, I am that naive that I still think the party manifestos mean something.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Friday afternoon question on 17:30 - Nov 16 with 3516 viewsRadlett_blue

This GE is all about Brexit. If you want it to happen, vote Tory.
If you don't, vote Lib Dem or Labour. Simple as that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Friday afternoon question on 18:31 - Nov 16 with 3479 viewsJ2BLUE

Friday afternoon question on 17:30 - Nov 16 by Radlett_blue

This GE is all about Brexit. If you want it to happen, vote Tory.
If you don't, vote Lib Dem or Labour. Simple as that.

Well, apart from the fact that's complete rubbish, yea.

Truly impaired.

Friday afternoon question on 18:35 - Nov 16 with 3465 viewsRyorry

Friday afternoon question on 17:00 - Nov 15 by gordon

The downside of a Tory majority is that we end up trying to push on with Brexit, which will then dominate politics and public debate for years as various sectors of the economy are sacrificed etc and we ruin our standing in the world.

Or we end up with a loose coalition of Lab/Lib Dem/SNP/Plaid/Green which doesn't agree on much apart from holding a second referendum. Then Brexit is likely put to bed (hopefully) and we can get on with being a proper country again.

Your second para - if only. Needs voters to act in agreed unison though, which is unlikely unless a co-ordinator can get a campaign going in every such constituency, maybe via social media?

Had been thinking along those lines as I'm another living in a Tory majority of 20K constituency who's looking at the Greens as an option - but would need 10K who voted Con last time out to join me!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024