Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England last night 11:43 - Nov 18 with 2528 viewschicoazul

How the heck did they win that 0-4??? They were pretty hopeless with players falling over, passing terribly, not marking properly etc etc. The defence in particular was terrible both from a defending point of view and in terms of passing it out from the back.
We usually lose to the first good team we play in a tournament anyway but the likes of Portugal France and Germany must be licking their lips right now. Unless we are so good going forward the plan is to win every game 5-4?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

England last night on 11:49 - Nov 18 with 2274 viewsWD19

It was largely an U23 team, but we had quality up front and took our chances. I wouldn't read too much into it.

That said, we are a high-press, high-tempo team, so we are more likely to be beating teams 3-2 than 1-0. Will be fun to watch at least.
England last night on 11:52 - Nov 18 with 2257 viewschicoazul

England last night on 11:49 - Nov 18 by WD19

It was largely an U23 team, but we had quality up front and took our chances. I wouldn't read too much into it.

That said, we are a high-press, high-tempo team, so we are more likely to be beating teams 3-2 than 1-0. Will be fun to watch at least.

Don't agree with that at all. Trent Chilwell Mings are not U23 players, nor are Rice Ox and Winks.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

England last night on 11:53 - Nov 18 with 2256 viewsRobTheMonk

There was a point in the game when one of the centre backs stood with the ball for 4 seconds. Literally didn't move. Then passed to the other centre back.

There was no tempo at all from us. Kosovo bring an almost childish way of playing which is great fun to watch but won't always get them results. England suffocated the game and then brought on Rashford to run at tiring legs.
England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 with 2245 viewsReuser_is_God

Oh, so it's not just Ipswich you moan about?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 with 2245 viewsm14_blue

France who beat Andorra 3-0, Moldova 2-1 at home and only took one point from 2 games against Turkey?

Portugal who beat Luxembourg 2-0 and 3-0 and finished behind the Ukraine?

You're probably right that we'll come up short again but we're so harsh on our team. People picking fault with the youngest team in 60 years, who have just won 7-0 and 4-0. seems a bit unnecessary.
England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 with 2233 viewsWD19

England last night on 11:52 - Nov 18 by chicoazul

Don't agree with that at all. Trent Chilwell Mings are not U23 players, nor are Rice Ox and Winks.

I would say only Chilwell of that crew would be a likely starter against one of the bigger sides in a competitive game.
England last night on 11:56 - Nov 18 with 2225 viewschicoazul

England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

Oh, so it's not just Ipswich you moan about?

Definitely not.

England last night on 11:58 - Nov 18 with 2215 viewschicoazul

England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 by m14_blue

France who beat Andorra 3-0, Moldova 2-1 at home and only took one point from 2 games against Turkey?

Portugal who beat Luxembourg 2-0 and 3-0 and finished behind the Ukraine?

You're probably right that we'll come up short again but we're so harsh on our team. People picking fault with the youngest team in 60 years, who have just won 7-0 and 4-0. seems a bit unnecessary.

Do you see what I mean though? The first half in particular was very very bad. They literally couldnt pass it more than 3 times. The only player who really impressed for the whole game was Winks who at least looks to get the ball moving and make things happen. Our attack is sensational yes but the other 2/3 of the team will I believe struggle against top teams.

Login to get fewer ads

England last night on 12:00 - Nov 18 with 2206 viewschicoazul

England last night on 11:55 - Nov 18 by WD19

I would say only Chilwell of that crew would be a likely starter against one of the bigger sides in a competitive game.

Trent is the first choice RB now, Rice has played lots of games, Winks was the only really good player apart from Kane last night. We do miss Henderson when he doesnt play but who else is there for those positions?

England last night on 12:01 - Nov 18 with 2201 viewsm14_blue

England last night on 11:58 - Nov 18 by chicoazul

Do you see what I mean though? The first half in particular was very very bad. They literally couldnt pass it more than 3 times. The only player who really impressed for the whole game was Winks who at least looks to get the ball moving and make things happen. Our attack is sensational yes but the other 2/3 of the team will I believe struggle against top teams.

Yeah, I didn't think we were very good.

My point is that it's difficult to look good in these sort of qualifiers and we've actually done pretty well by and large this campaign, often playing some fluid stuff going forwards.

We are a young side who are exciting to watch without being world beaters. I actually like this England team more than I have any since Italia 90 though.
England last night on 12:17 - Nov 18 with 2151 viewsVaughan8

I haven't watched the England games, but I have watched a few others and Netherlands struggled against Northern Ireland, Portugal struggled against Luxembourg. France have struggled against some teams and they are world champions!

England seem to beat these teams with ease so it is fairly impressive.

However, they have been in a poor group and haven't really been tested. Czech Rep I expected to put up more of a test but 7-0 is an absolute thrashing.

As I said, I haven't seen the England games so the scores might flatter England. It will be interesting to see when they come up against some better opposition what they can do.

There are usually a few stand out teams for these Euros and World Cups, but there doesn't seem to be any this time round. Could be anyone's!
England last night on 12:25 - Nov 18 with 2111 viewsflimflam

England last night on 12:17 - Nov 18 by Vaughan8

I haven't watched the England games, but I have watched a few others and Netherlands struggled against Northern Ireland, Portugal struggled against Luxembourg. France have struggled against some teams and they are world champions!

England seem to beat these teams with ease so it is fairly impressive.

However, they have been in a poor group and haven't really been tested. Czech Rep I expected to put up more of a test but 7-0 is an absolute thrashing.

As I said, I haven't seen the England games so the scores might flatter England. It will be interesting to see when they come up against some better opposition what they can do.

There are usually a few stand out teams for these Euros and World Cups, but there doesn't seem to be any this time round. Could be anyone's!

We beat Montenegro 7 - 0

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

England last night on 12:49 - Nov 18 with 2025 viewsFtnfwest

Wasn't a great performance but they stuck to it well and did the job. I particularly thought the passing was poor which was initially i think down to the surface - until they started passing directly to Kosovan players! It's still this passing out from the back that looks terrible and risky with the players we've got. Watching Holland against NI they were doing the same and although they were mostly getting away with it, it still very risky.
England last night on 13:04 - Nov 18 with 1984 viewsVaughan8

England last night on 12:25 - Nov 18 by flimflam

We beat Montenegro 7 - 0

Ok I'll shut up! haha

5-0 is still not very good!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 13:05]
England last night on 13:15 - Nov 18 with 1937 viewschicoazul

England last night on 12:49 - Nov 18 by Ftnfwest

Wasn't a great performance but they stuck to it well and did the job. I particularly thought the passing was poor which was initially i think down to the surface - until they started passing directly to Kosovan players! It's still this passing out from the back that looks terrible and risky with the players we've got. Watching Holland against NI they were doing the same and although they were mostly getting away with it, it still very risky.

It's risk and reward though and it's a good system to use, as long as you have the players to do it. It can draw teams onto you and then you can release the pressure with a good forward pass & put yourself right into their defence quickly. Dear old Tyrone, much as I like him, is not great at passing

England last night on 13:19 - Nov 18 with 1932 viewsTractorCam

All those teams haven't breezed qualifying themselves, we've done better than them.

I'd take winning 5-4 every game, Joe Royle style.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 13:19]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

England last night on 13:22 - Nov 18 with 1915 viewsFtnfwest

England last night on 13:15 - Nov 18 by chicoazul

It's risk and reward though and it's a good system to use, as long as you have the players to do it. It can draw teams onto you and then you can release the pressure with a good forward pass & put yourself right into their defence quickly. Dear old Tyrone, much as I like him, is not great at passing

Will be interesting to see if the Chelsea lad gets a game in these friendlies next year. Tyrone was almost at a standstill at times plus seemed to be taking 'John Stones tablets 'and TAA didn't have one of his better games. All this tends to obscure the fact that Maguire really isn't as good as a lot of people think i fear...very slow and ponderous, but in fairness to him the competition isn't that high at the moment.
England last night on 13:26 - Nov 18 with 1900 viewschicoazul

England last night on 13:22 - Nov 18 by Ftnfwest

Will be interesting to see if the Chelsea lad gets a game in these friendlies next year. Tyrone was almost at a standstill at times plus seemed to be taking 'John Stones tablets 'and TAA didn't have one of his better games. All this tends to obscure the fact that Maguire really isn't as good as a lot of people think i fear...very slow and ponderous, but in fairness to him the competition isn't that high at the moment.

Having watched England the other night you can see why Pep doesnt use Stones much, it looks like his legs have gone. I don't really mind Maguire, as you allude to he is the best of a bad bunch and is good for the odd goal, and his use of the ball is usually ok. Woolfenden would be his ideal partner.

England last night on 13:27 - Nov 18 with 1896 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Am I the only one who is worried about the midfield. I just don't see any world class talent in that midfield. Probably our best midfielder (Maddison) can't get a game. Centre backs is ropey as well.

Attack is world class though, I assume it is going to be World cup esque, just try and s**thouse set pieces.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

England last night on 13:35 - Nov 18 with 1862 viewsIpswichKnight

England last night on 13:27 - Nov 18 by TRUE_BLUE123

Am I the only one who is worried about the midfield. I just don't see any world class talent in that midfield. Probably our best midfielder (Maddison) can't get a game. Centre backs is ropey as well.

Attack is world class though, I assume it is going to be World cup esque, just try and s**thouse set pieces.

We don't need set pieces, get the ball out wide or hit teams on the counter, none of them can live with that kind of pace we have running at them.

Agree on the midfield, we badly need a number 10, Maddison was due to play last night but got injured in training. We do have some talent in that position, Maddison, Grealish and Foden could all be good number 10's, the problem lies in the defensive spine we have very little at defensive midfielder.
England last night on 13:40 - Nov 18 with 1833 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

England last night on 13:15 - Nov 18 by chicoazul

Brief post to note that of the England starting XI, only Harry Winks and Declan Rice had a higher pass completion % than Mings last night

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

England last night on 13:44 - Nov 18 with 1810 viewschicoazul

England last night on 13:40 - Nov 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Brief post to note that of the England starting XI, only Harry Winks and Declan Rice had a higher pass completion % than Mings last night

10 yards to Maguire under no pressure, I reckon even I could do that and I can barely walk and talk at the same time.

England last night on 13:54 - Nov 18 with 1789 viewsm14_blue

England last night on 13:27 - Nov 18 by TRUE_BLUE123

Your last sentence seems contradictory to me?

Why would a team with Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi etc, who have just scored 37 goals in 8 qualifiers, be relying on set pieces?

Agree with concerns further back in the team.
England last night on 14:08 - Nov 18 with 1755 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

England last night on 13:54 - Nov 18 by m14_blue

Your last sentence seems contradictory to me?

Why would a team with Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi etc, who have just scored 37 goals in 8 qualifiers, be relying on set pieces?

Agree with concerns further back in the team.

How many goals did we score in the WC Qualifiers (I am going to assume a lot) All our goals in that tournament came from Penalties and set pieces (pretty much).

My post isn't really worded brilliant and the main point was about Midfield and defence.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

England last night on 14:26 - Nov 18 with 1731 viewsm14_blue

England last night on 14:08 - Nov 18 by TRUE_BLUE123

How many goals did we score in the WC Qualifiers (I am going to assume a lot) All our goals in that tournament came from Penalties and set pieces (pretty much).

My post isn't really worded brilliant and the main point was about Midfield and defence.

We scored 18 in 10 games, compared to 37 in 8 this time.

There are question marks over the goalkeeper, defence and midfield but I reckon we have goals in us against any team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024