Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the hell is happening to Ipswich 10:02 - Nov 20 with 6390 viewsGaryCooper

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/bridge-street-stabbing-ipswich-attack-1-6384207

Heavy stop and search required.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:24 - Nov 20 with 1690 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:41 - Nov 20 by tabletopjoe

It’s been going on a lot longer than that

But, like food bank usage, it's been snowballing since the decision to cut, cut, cut some more and privatise the rest became government policy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:32 - Nov 20 with 1684 viewsBlueBadger

This is the product of cut-and-farm-out-to-the-private-sector politics.
Not just in policing or legal aid and probation but in youth and community outreach projects.

Almost as if adding the profit motive to inherently non-profit-making services makes them worse, whilst ultimately costing more.

The cat's out of the bag now. Randomly targeting 'suspicious' kids won't solve the problem, root causes are still there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:52 - Nov 20 with 1671 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:24 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

But, like food bank usage, it's been snowballing since the decision to cut, cut, cut some more and privatise the rest became government policy.

How is mugging and stabbing a result of the cuts? There is virtually full employment for those who want it, a police presence may move the crime to another location but that is it.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:53 - Nov 20 with 1671 viewsnorth_stand77

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:11 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

'The amount of police officers time alone taken up with dealing with Facebook etc is ridiculous'

Easy to solve a little abusive name calling.

Is it really down to police to sort out people calling each other names via the internet? If it were extreme and a real threat, that is different. We also have to be responsible for handling our own lives to some degree don't we?
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:30 - Nov 20 with 1639 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:52 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

How is mugging and stabbing a result of the cuts? There is virtually full employment for those who want it, a police presence may move the crime to another location but that is it.

Reduced police numbers is a bit of a no-brainer. Plus, the loss of many, many youth clubs, council-subbed sports clubs and outreach services. These people are excellent and recognising and intervening early with vulnerable kids to stope them getting sucked into this culture.

That's how.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 17:32]

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:31 - Nov 20 with 1635 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:53 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

Is it really down to police to sort out people calling each other names via the internet? If it were extreme and a real threat, that is different. We also have to be responsible for handling our own lives to some degree don't we?

Of course it isn't, but as stated, it is easy to get a solved result by doing so.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:38 - Nov 20 with 1627 viewsMullet

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 12:36 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Those who fit the profile of most likely to be carrying a knife.
Sensitivities and PC nonsense have to take a backseat when protecting the public.

Bit of a problem with that unfortunately, as there is always is with simple slogans:

https://fullfact.org/crime/does-stop-search-work/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stabbings-knife-crime-murder-london-

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:42 - Nov 20 with 1620 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:30 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

Reduced police numbers is a bit of a no-brainer. Plus, the loss of many, many youth clubs, council-subbed sports clubs and outreach services. These people are excellent and recognising and intervening early with vulnerable kids to stope them getting sucked into this culture.

That's how.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 17:32]

Sports not being played at schools is a big driver of kids having nothing to do, there are countless sports clubs though but engaging early is key.

Youth clubs seem to have disappeared agreed, but how does the reintroduction of youth clubs stop 18-24 year olds mugging people?

There is work if they want it, they can belong and gain a positive identity if they wish, all have received education.
Login to get fewer ads

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:45 - Nov 20 with 1610 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:38 - Nov 20 by Mullet

Bit of a problem with that unfortunately, as there is always is with simple slogans:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stabbings-knife-crime-murder-london-

Bilmey, it is not difficult, lock down a street search all, complete this endlessly, punish aggressively, it will stop.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:47 - Nov 20 with 1605 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:38 - Nov 20 by Mullet

Go on then lets have your short term solution.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:49 - Nov 20 with 1598 viewsMullet

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:45 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Bilmey, it is not difficult, lock down a street search all, complete this endlessly, punish aggressively, it will stop.

What do you mean by "lock down a street" exactly?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:51 - Nov 20 with 1596 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:42 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Sports not being played at schools is a big driver of kids having nothing to do, there are countless sports clubs though but engaging early is key.

Youth clubs seem to have disappeared agreed, but how does the reintroduction of youth clubs stop 18-24 year olds mugging people?

There is work if they want it, they can belong and gain a positive identity if they wish, all have received education.

I've explained once, but I'll do it again - youth clubs, as awell as sports clubs have all been hammered for community funding. They provide somewhere safe for kids to go and something for them to do. In addition, the people running them are usually pretty adept and recognising, stepping in and mentoring the vulnerable ones BEFORE they get to the 18-24-mugging-people stage - at that point they're lost and could easily stay lost thanks to a privatised probation service that isn't fit for the purpose of cutting reoffending.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47728948

Prevention, as always is better than cure. And the past decade has seen a record of miserable failure in that respect from a government which is penny-wise and pound stupid.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 17:55]

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:04 - Nov 20 with 1576 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:51 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

I've explained once, but I'll do it again - youth clubs, as awell as sports clubs have all been hammered for community funding. They provide somewhere safe for kids to go and something for them to do. In addition, the people running them are usually pretty adept and recognising, stepping in and mentoring the vulnerable ones BEFORE they get to the 18-24-mugging-people stage - at that point they're lost and could easily stay lost thanks to a privatised probation service that isn't fit for the purpose of cutting reoffending.

Prevention, as always is better than cure. And the past decade has seen a record of miserable failure in that respect from a government which is penny-wise and pound stupid.

I don't disagree about withdrawal of funding, the private sports clubs do a fantastic job picking up the slack.

The Scouting movement does a fantastic job, the Boys Brigade, the Scouting movement is at record numbers.

Does that stop adults mugging and stabbing now though?
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 18:06]
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:15 - Nov 20 with 1561 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:47 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Go on then lets have your short term solution.

There's no short term solution now, that's the problem. The infrastructure to respond quickly isn't there.

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:16 - Nov 20 with 1561 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:04 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

I don't disagree about withdrawal of funding, the private sports clubs do a fantastic job picking up the slack.

The Scouting movement does a fantastic job, the Boys Brigade, the Scouting movement is at record numbers.

It stops those adults doing it, because they were picked up as kids and put on the righht path before they had the chance to become adult criminals.
And a fit-for purpose probation service works to keep those who have offended from doing it again.

This really isn't that hard, you know.

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:18 - Nov 20 with 1560 viewsSteve_M

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:04 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

"The Scouting movement does a fantastic job, the Boys Brigade, the Scouting movement is at record numbers."

Do you have a source for that part?

And, yes, adult behaviours are affected by a whole range of developmental and environmental factors.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:20 - Nov 20 with 1554 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:45 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

We don't have the police numbers to do that, for starters....

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:23 - Nov 20 with 1550 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:34 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Profiling works.

Except that, as Mullers has already pointed out, it doesn't. Not to a truly effective and worthwhile degree.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2018/11/12/18044688/criminal-profilers-mindhu

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:32 - Nov 20 with 1534 viewsBlueBadger

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:53 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

No, it's down to the police to deal with criminal harrassment and incitement wherever it happens though.

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:45 - Nov 20 with 1525 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:20 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

We don't have the police numbers to do that, for starters....

Utter utter tripe, what a world you live in, gullible.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 1506 viewsWeWereZombies

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:09 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

Sorry, I didn't read it that way.

However on your other point, the population of our country is increasing all the time and much more crime (and different types of crime) are being commited. Less officers dealing with more 'crime'.
The amount of police officers time alone taken up with dealing with Facebook etc is ridiculous.

I don't think you have got that right:

'Overall levels of crime showed falls in recent decades, but have remained broadly stable in recent years. While in the last year there has been no change in overall levels of crime, this hides variation seen in individual crime types. The latest figures show a mixed picture, with continued rises in some types of theft, “bank and credit account fraud” and falls in “computer viruses”. There were also increases in some of the less frequently occurring but higher-harm types of violence, including offences involving knives or sharp instruments.'

From: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/cr

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 19:19 - Nov 20 with 1498 viewsnorth_stand77

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 18:58 - Nov 20 by WeWereZombies

I don't think you have got that right:

'Overall levels of crime showed falls in recent decades, but have remained broadly stable in recent years. While in the last year there has been no change in overall levels of crime, this hides variation seen in individual crime types. The latest figures show a mixed picture, with continued rises in some types of theft, “bank and credit account fraud” and falls in “computer viruses”. There were also increases in some of the less frequently occurring but higher-harm types of violence, including offences involving knives or sharp instruments.'

From: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/cr

Yes you're right that is what the stats show. However, many people have stopped reporting crimes too because they already know it's a waste of time as there's no- one to investigate. Also stats are always open to manipulation, according to how they are being presented and whos presenting them. Obviously that excludes major crime such as murder.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 20:53 - Nov 20 with 1464 viewsChe

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 17:51 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

Good points
I worked in the youth service for many years young people's energy and enthusiasm needs nurtured and challenged, they are our future and we need to invest in them.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 21:40 - Nov 20 with 1442 viewsClapham_Junction

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:48 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

"Do you honestly believe that by taking further police officers away from the streets to give talks and crime prevention advice, things will improve ?"

You have completely misunderstood what I said. The police should do what they were invented for which is to act as a deterrent to crime and be a visible presence on our streets instead of hiding in cars. The police cannot unburgle unmug or unattack you but their very presence can prevent all those things from happening in the first place.

There are loads of police. Yes their numbers have gone down but there is still 120k+ of them and many of the duties they had to fulfil when there were many fewer of them, such as securing commercial premises, are no now longer part of their job.

Chico, I'd strongly recommend reading 'One step ahead' if you're interested in this.

It's by a former Met officer who worked in the Problem Solving Unit that focussed on preventative policing. It gives some great examples of how the police are trying to do preventative stuff and the realities of the challenges they face.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/1116540/one-step-ahead--notes-from-the-probl
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024