Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? 14:53 - Nov 20 with 1728 viewsWD19

Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Joe Denly, Joe Root (capt), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope.

Meh. I know some of these are a little underrated and aesthetics don't matter......but taken in the round this is not a group to inspire great confidence (in fans) or fear (in opposition).
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 15:15 - Nov 20 with 1686 viewsMookamoo

Root and Stokes could get into most top 6 batting line ups.

Burns and Denly both started to look like test players during the Ashes and both need to be given the chance. Sibley is a natural opener, so why not? Pope is only a wee boy but looks is a top player.

Not sure who you prefer?
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 15:26 - Nov 20 with 1668 viewsSaleAway

What is it about them that you don't like? Bearing in mind that England's batting in test matches over the past 5 years has been abysmal. Are there others that you think should be there? Please don't tell me you want more attacking batsmen.

Burns has been finding his feet - just needs to stop finding silly ways to get out, but was defintiely improving during the ashes

Sibley - best opener in county game

Denly -- jury definitely still out but made decent runs against Oz at the end of the ashes and 3 is a real problem position for england

Root - at 4 should be world class

Stokes - recently been ridiculously good

Pope - too soon for judgement - but looks good for Surrey.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 15:57 - Nov 20 with 1639 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

The opposition wouldn't mind the more flamboyant top six of Roy, Bairstow, Vince and Moeen. The reason they have been dropped is because we have continually been bowled out in under 90 overs for scores of under 250, always being 50-3.

Burns has scored the most first class runs by opener in the last 5 years.
Sibley has really kicked on since tweaking his technique to play a fraction straighter.
Denly ground out runs in 2019, if he fails in NZ he's finished in the test team
Root needs to find his batting mojo and pressure is on him to deliver.
Stokes is the best around player at all formats in the country.
Pope averages 60 for Surrey batting at 6, not at 4 like his test matches last summer.

No excuses or hiding behind the World cup style of batting, a new coach who won't take any rubbish.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 16:22 - Nov 20 with 1614 viewsWD19

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 15:57 - Nov 20 by BullardsMagicMullet

The opposition wouldn't mind the more flamboyant top six of Roy, Bairstow, Vince and Moeen. The reason they have been dropped is because we have continually been bowled out in under 90 overs for scores of under 250, always being 50-3.

Burns has scored the most first class runs by opener in the last 5 years.
Sibley has really kicked on since tweaking his technique to play a fraction straighter.
Denly ground out runs in 2019, if he fails in NZ he's finished in the test team
Root needs to find his batting mojo and pressure is on him to deliver.
Stokes is the best around player at all formats in the country.
Pope averages 60 for Surrey batting at 6, not at 4 like his test matches last summer.

No excuses or hiding behind the World cup style of batting, a new coach who won't take any rubbish.

I am not saying there is lots better out there, I am just saying it is uninspiring and that I think several of those listed have a low ceiling/limited room to improve.

Burns deserves to retain his place and Sibley certainly deserves a go. Stickability has been sorely lacking so I am not remotely concerned if they get their runs ugly.

Denly is a decent county pro....nothing more. Picking him is a waste of everyone's time.

Root is our best player. He is hiding at 4, but if he gets big runs it is justified.

Stokes is a great all-rounder and there is certainly nothing better to displace him at 5. His record is not outstanding (Averaging about 40 over the past couple of years.....a little more in 2019.)

Pope deserves another chance. Hiding at 6, but that is fair enough to ease him back in.

Not seen enough of Sam Hain, but he doesn't appear to get the mentions he deserves.

Bairstow is a pain in the arse. Should have kicked on and be a top class batsman, but his stubbornness with keeping the gloves over the past year or two has cost him (and England).
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 16:30 - Nov 20 with 1597 viewsgordon

It's mainly Denly that's questionable - he's basically a good county pro who is in the team because he's very good mates with the head of selectors, nothing more than that.

It's good to see Sibley and Pope in the team, they both have a pretty good chance, I'd say. And I'm glad we aren't playing Bairstow and Buttler in the same team now which was daft.
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 07:51 - Nov 21 with 1450 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 16:22 - Nov 20 by WD19

I am not saying there is lots better out there, I am just saying it is uninspiring and that I think several of those listed have a low ceiling/limited room to improve.

Burns deserves to retain his place and Sibley certainly deserves a go. Stickability has been sorely lacking so I am not remotely concerned if they get their runs ugly.

Denly is a decent county pro....nothing more. Picking him is a waste of everyone's time.

Root is our best player. He is hiding at 4, but if he gets big runs it is justified.

Stokes is a great all-rounder and there is certainly nothing better to displace him at 5. His record is not outstanding (Averaging about 40 over the past couple of years.....a little more in 2019.)

Pope deserves another chance. Hiding at 6, but that is fair enough to ease him back in.

Not seen enough of Sam Hain, but he doesn't appear to get the mentions he deserves.

Bairstow is a pain in the arse. Should have kicked on and be a top class batsman, but his stubbornness with keeping the gloves over the past year or two has cost him (and England).

Batting in the longer format is in decline.

Hain is a leg side dominant player and a better white ball player, look how many times he gets out lbw in the county championship.

Bairstow has gone backwards ever since he got a regular place in the white side, no test match batsman has been bowled (31) more times than him in the last decade. He needs time away to work on his game, didn't agree with him being called up as cover for Denly.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 07:56 - Nov 21 with 1442 viewshampstead_blue

I think it's a solid top 6.

England's policy of aggression is great but you can't keep on doing it.
NZ have a very good seam bowling unit. Experienced, accurate, and obdurate.

You can't smash that around. You've got to play 'proper cricket' (quote my hero Boycott).

I've long thought that Bairstow is a useful player to have IF you've a solid unit around him. He's not good enough to accumulate. He can do damage but you do need pragmatism in test cricket.

Not sure about Curran. I'd have Woakes all day long. Better bowler and more suited to the test game. Curran can easily go for runs with his natural length.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 12:28 - Nov 21 with 1355 viewsbluewein

Barring Root, was a very encouraging start. Some proper test batting.

Hopeful that Burns can iron out the odd brain fart, cause there's definitely a decent batsman in there...
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 12:28]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Login to get fewer ads

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 16:41 - Nov 21 with 1298 viewsgordon

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 07:56 - Nov 21 by hampstead_blue

I think it's a solid top 6.

England's policy of aggression is great but you can't keep on doing it.
NZ have a very good seam bowling unit. Experienced, accurate, and obdurate.

You can't smash that around. You've got to play 'proper cricket' (quote my hero Boycott).

I've long thought that Bairstow is a useful player to have IF you've a solid unit around him. He's not good enough to accumulate. He can do damage but you do need pragmatism in test cricket.

Not sure about Curran. I'd have Woakes all day long. Better bowler and more suited to the test game. Curran can easily go for runs with his natural length.

18 wickets in 12 overseas games at 62 for Woakes though, I'd have Curran myself.
Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 17:23 - Nov 21 with 1253 viewshampstead_blue

Have England ever picked a more uninspiring top 6 in a test match? on 16:41 - Nov 21 by gordon

18 wickets in 12 overseas games at 62 for Woakes though, I'd have Curran myself.

More to it than that.

He can bowl areas with experience and discipline. As a batter he can also bat time but can tick over at 3's if needed.

Stats tell you only one part of a players part of a team. Flintoff's bowling stats are awful but you'd pick him.

Curran is one dimensional as a bowler. If it's not swinging his pack of pace and skill turns him into fodder. 80mph can be lined-up by test players all day long.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024