Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corbyn on Brexit 08:35 - Nov 21 with 5865 viewsuefacup81

Unless I've missed something, why is it so vitally important that he come down on one side or other of the argument? From what I've read in recent days, Ted Heath refused to 'pick a side' at the time of the 1973 referendum, and the world didn't end.

Given that the Labour policy is to renegotiate the deal so that it allows the UK to remain within the Free Trade area, and then put it to a referendum with the other option being to remain within the EU, surely it makes sense for Labour to remain neutral if their stance is for the people to decide?

I'd much rather see a Labour government essentially saying "here are the two options, and here are the facts surrounding both. Now go away, have a read and a think, and draw your own conclusions", as opposed to having them champion just one side of the coin.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:46 - Nov 21 with 712 viewsRadlett_blue

Whether you like it or not, Brexit has been dividing the country & paralysing our Parliament for the last 3 years. If an MP, especially a Leader of the Opposition, doesn't have a clue after all this time where he stands on the issue (1) would anyone want to vote for him (2) is he fit to be Leader of the Official opposition party.
Of course, if you think Brexit doesn't matter at all or have just woken up in Dallas after a lengthy dream, then take a different view.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:51 - Nov 21 with 706 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:46 - Nov 21 by Radlett_blue

Whether you like it or not, Brexit has been dividing the country & paralysing our Parliament for the last 3 years. If an MP, especially a Leader of the Opposition, doesn't have a clue after all this time where he stands on the issue (1) would anyone want to vote for him (2) is he fit to be Leader of the Official opposition party.
Of course, if you think Brexit doesn't matter at all or have just woken up in Dallas after a lengthy dream, then take a different view.

And we are back to the point that Corbyn's position is very clear … and consistent with a far greater proportion of parliament than Johnson's that has kept us in that treacle for the past however long now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:59 - Nov 21 with 692 viewsSwansea_Blue

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:46 - Nov 21 by Radlett_blue

But he does have a clue. His (Labour's) position is;
1) Renegotiate a better WA/deal
2) Put it to the people for the final say.

It's really simple.

Now, whether it's doable is another thing. Will the EU renegotiate? They might if it produces a deal that's in their favour. Commentators are saying that Labour's preference is for a beefed up Norway-style deal. The EU would prefer that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:07 - Nov 21 with 688 viewsm14_blue

Corbyn on Brexit on 09:31 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

Corbyn is playing the Remainers for mugs again. There is no way he can negotiate a deal with the EU, sign it, then say "this deal I've secured is rubbish, don't support it". If in government, Labour's formal position will have to be Leave.

To be honest, I think most remainers will be quite happy to be taken for mugs if it means there’s a second referendum, regardless of which way Corbyn campaigns.
Corbyn on Brexit on 16:10 - Nov 21 with 684 viewsRadlett_blue

Corbyn on Brexit on 15:59 - Nov 21 by Swansea_Blue

But he does have a clue. His (Labour's) position is;
1) Renegotiate a better WA/deal
2) Put it to the people for the final say.

It's really simple.

Now, whether it's doable is another thing. Will the EU renegotiate? They might if it produces a deal that's in their favour. Commentators are saying that Labour's preference is for a beefed up Norway-style deal. The EU would prefer that.

It's an absurd position to take.
"Renegotiate a better deal" - in your dreams!
If he actually had the guts to say "I want the UK to remain" I would have some respect for his position.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:21 - Nov 21 with 674 viewsSwansea_Blue

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:10 - Nov 21 by Radlett_blue

If he actually had the guts to say "I want the UK to remain" I would have some respect for his position.

It doesn't matter what his personal view is - as long as the party has a clear strategy. There are more unanswered questions about it than there are answers though. I imagine it depends on the EU and whether they want us to stay.

It's no more absurd than the position the Tories had. But the whole thing is absurd anyway.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:22 - Nov 21 with 673 viewsPinewoodblue

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:10 - Nov 21 by Radlett_blue

Corbyn is rarely an 'I' man he says as he told.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Corbyn on Brexit on 17:13 - Nov 21 with 654 viewsBLUEGOLD

Corbyn on Brexit on 12:56 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

"You posted about Corbyn being a lier, but your leader who thinks that Muslims look like letterboxes (a bit racist I think) has been sacked twice for lying"

1. I left the Tory party in 2017 because of the Tories entering a lose arrangement with extremists.

Interesting - DUP have denied having an agreement with Tories by GlasgowBlue 9 Jun 2017 15:01
That's me out. May must resign immediately.

I cannot in all honesty support a government that is prepared to do deals, no matter how informal, with a party that has links to sectarian terrorists in Northern Ireland.

Fcuk off May you are an utter disgrace. And I am typing this with rather moist eyes. I have been a member of the Conservative party since 1986

I have won two elections as a Tory councillor. I'm utterly ashamed..

Oh sweet irony... by GlasgowBlue 9 Jun 2017 19:15
I can read this and I agree with you 100%. That is why I have written to Ruth Davidson cancelling my membership of the Scottish Conservatives and will never vote Conservative again so long as either Theresa May or the DUP, who evolved from a loyalist terror group, have anything to do with the party.

I have been consistent in my criticism of Corbyn's support for the IRA during a period when they were murdering British civilians. I would be a rank hypocrite if I then excused this shameful act by May.

2. My views on Boris and his Islamophobic letterbox comments.

BoJo and Islamaphobia by GlasgowBlue 7 Aug 2018 17:09
What really annoys me is that people are saying it was just a joke.

1. It's a joke that now seems to legitimise the mocking of people wearing the Burka. There will be women up and down the country, walking about and minding their own business, who will have yobos coming up from behind them and shouting "letterbox" at them. And Boris has normalised that.

2. It may seem like a bit of harmless banter to some but it's another example of a political party who seem to have a problem with a certain section of the British community.

I made this point about another subject which I'm sure I have bored people to death with. But if we don't stop the seemingly little things like this then it continues to be the norm and the nastiness creeps in.

My advice to you dear boy is if you re going to have a pop at somebody them it' best to get your facts right first so you aren't made to look so bloody foolish the next time around.

Oh I assumed that you were going to vote Conservative because that is the tenet of the majority of your posts, at least the ones that aren’t attacking Labour and Corbyn.
Login to get fewer ads

Corbyn on Brexit on 17:16 - Nov 21 with 649 viewssparks

Corbyn on Brexit on 16:21 - Nov 21 by Swansea_Blue

It doesn't matter what his personal view is - as long as the party has a clear strategy. There are more unanswered questions about it than there are answers though. I imagine it depends on the EU and whether they want us to stay.

It's no more absurd than the position the Tories had. But the whole thing is absurd anyway.

Dont agree.

If he had actually campaigned for remain and carried a small proportion of labour voters with him, we wouldnt even be having Brexit.

But he didnt- because he is a lifelong anti-eu brexiter, pretending to straddle the lines.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Corbyn on Brexit on 18:36 - Nov 21 with 625 viewsradiogaga

Corbyn on Brexit on 08:46 - Nov 21 by Bent_double

You're absoutely right, I mentioned this in a thread about the debate the other day.

It's weird, almost childish, how people demand to know which 'side' he is on - the important, and clear message is that the Labour party would give the people two clear options if they come to power: a deal to leave, or remain. After that it's down to individuals to vote for whatever they want to happen.

It would be the same for BJ or any other of the party leaders - I personally don't care how they would vote if there was another referendum, just that they are capable of getting the job done one way or the other.

Correct.

It is also weird that people would vote against labour/ for conservative in this election on the basis that their idea of a further referendum further down the line is undemocratic because "the people already decided in 2016" as a form of justification.

Using the same mindset, this general election is also undemocratic. This GE, much like the 2017 one, is only being called by the conservative party wanting a greater majority than they got in the last and because they're not respecting the "will of the people". "The people already decided" in 2015 essentially, but there is no such hysteria about going back to the people in this GE, unlike that of the idea of a second referendum.

Politics is a funny thing.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024