Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? 10:07 - Nov 21 with 6137 viewsElephantintheRoom

Lots of threads on politics on here - but given the UK voting system the Tories will keep all their seats in most of Ipswich catchment area (Ipswich aside - with maybe Labour Cambridge up for grabs too).

The right wing Tory loon parachuted into Saffron Walden got over 60% of the vote despite living in Wimbledon - and will almost certainly keep her seat as the LIb Dem on offer is an uninspiring grey beard who has been on the receiving end of the voice of the Uttlesford people before.

Could be worse....if I lived 1 mile west I would be mourning the loss of the fragrant Heidi Allen.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:10 - Nov 21 with 5020 viewshomer_123

Nope, staunch Tory in this area, big margin.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:11 - Nov 21 with 5018 viewsDanTheMan

Yes, was an incredibly tight race last time.

Although it still leaves me with only two actual choices and some pointless protest votes.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:12 - Nov 21 with 5016 viewsitfcjoe

Everyone living in Ipswich, apart from those gerrymandered out of the constituency

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:16 - Nov 21 with 4998 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich.

Always a marginal seat - Gummer was bundled out last time round, even though Ipswich voted 58% leave, the remainers clearly rallied to get rid of him.

Since Martin has been elected, he has consistently backed the Commons votes to remain, much to the annoyance of the Brexit Facebook warriors in the town.

Will be interesting to see how it goes this time.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:17 - Nov 21 with 4989 viewschicoazul

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:10 - Nov 21 by homer_123

Nope, staunch Tory in this area, big margin.

Me too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:18 - Nov 21 with 4978 viewsWeekender

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:17 - Nov 21 by chicoazul

Me too.

And me. Jeremy Hunt is my MP so its a done deal.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:30 - Nov 21 with 4950 viewsSikamikanico

60.3% of the vote went to the Tory last time around.

Seat has always been Tory.
Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:31 - Nov 21 with 4949 viewsGeoffSentence

The Ipswich-Shotley_Sudbury Golden Triangle is staunch Tory and seems to be going more that way. The only interesting competition is for second place. It swings between labour and lib dems.

In the 90's and 2000's between them they used to get close to or exceed the tory vote, but now, and particularly since the lib dem collapse after the coalition there is just no touching the conservative candidate here.

Last time round the lib dems got a paltry 6% of the vote despite historically being around the 30% mark, but the tactical voting websites have them as most likely to challenge the tories this time round.

Will be interesting to see how badly the oppositiion fares this time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:34 - Nov 21 with 4941 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep. Historically we've been Labour, but Tories had a narrow majority for a couple of terms recently and Labour wrestled it back last time. Labour have a 3,000 majority but it's been bouncing backwards and forwards and with Boris soaking up the Farage party votes it could be very close this time.

I'd rather not have to vote for either of them. I've normally gone with my conscience before but in practice that's always been a wasted vote. So I'm probably going tactical this time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:49 - Nov 21 with 4926 viewsuefacup81

Depending on how things pan out, my constituency has the potential to be anything from a safe Labour seat, all the way through to a four-way marginal. Should be fun!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 11:10 - Nov 21 with 4897 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 10:31 - Nov 21 by GeoffSentence

The Ipswich-Shotley_Sudbury Golden Triangle is staunch Tory and seems to be going more that way. The only interesting competition is for second place. It swings between labour and lib dems.

In the 90's and 2000's between them they used to get close to or exceed the tory vote, but now, and particularly since the lib dem collapse after the coalition there is just no touching the conservative candidate here.

Last time round the lib dems got a paltry 6% of the vote despite historically being around the 30% mark, but the tactical voting websites have them as most likely to challenge the tories this time round.

Will be interesting to see how badly the oppositiion fares this time.

Strangest thing is the turnout for Suffolk South was higher than Ipswich.

A cardboard cut out of Prince Andrew would be elected as Conservative MP for Suffolk South.

You would expect a higher turnout in a constituency where you vote could impact on the overall outcome.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 11:45 - Nov 21 with 4857 viewsmidastouch

I'm really not engaged with politics at the moment which is a shame as for years I used to regularly watch Question Time, This Week, Newsnight, Daily Politics, you name it! But sadly nobody out there seems worth the shoe leather right now. So once upon a time I wouldn't have to ask this question but now I do. That is, where are the forecast marginal constituencies right now? Needless to say the party machines will be throwing the kitchen sink at those areas. I haven't watched or read the news (apart from a bit of online skimming) for a few weeks now. Is Great Yarmouth a marginal? No way could I vote Tory seeing the damage that Universal Credit has done to the town with loads more homeless people as a result. People get sanctioned (i.e. money cut) for trivial things and if they don't have a bank of mum and dad, or a kind generous friend to help see them through, it's not long before the private landlord (at least the more callous ones) will have them out on the street (especially if they don't know their rights) and thus they are just one or two pay cheques away from being homeless. I went up town last night and I got asked for money twice from desperate looking people. The cold winter wind is bitter on the coast. My heart goes out to anybody out in that cold right now. We need to be doing FAR MORE as a country to help people that have fallen through the cracks END OF!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 11:58 - Nov 21 with 4808 viewsITFC_Forever

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 11:10 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

Strangest thing is the turnout for Suffolk South was higher than Ipswich.

A cardboard cut out of Prince Andrew would be elected as Conservative MP for Suffolk South.

You would expect a higher turnout in a constituency where you vote could impact on the overall outcome.

Was the same when we lived in Gt Blakenham in Central Suffolk too.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Everyone does. on 12:50 - Nov 21 with 4762 viewsGuthrum

If enough people vote for a candidate, they will win, irrespective of historical results. This "I may as well not bother" resignation that results are a foregone conclusion is the enemy of democracy. Particularly at a time of political flux, when previous norms are a less certain guide.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 12:52 - Nov 21 with 4755 viewsSteve_M

Nope. Holborn and St Pancras, Labour majority of 30,000 last time.

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/Const

For all my misgivings about Corbyn at least Kier Starmer is one of the better members of the Shadow Cabinet. (That does sound like damning with faint praise a little but he's good).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 12:55 - Nov 21 with 4749 viewswkj

I predict Ipswich have better odds of winning the FA Cup this season than Dan Poulter being ousted. Support for him wavered around the time of some accusations, but rightly regained that stability when it was said to be nonsense.

Don't like the guy, but unlike some I don't feel he should go based on bogus accusations.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Everyone does. on 13:35 - Nov 21 with 4716 viewsmidastouch

Everyone does. on 12:50 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

If enough people vote for a candidate, they will win, irrespective of historical results. This "I may as well not bother" resignation that results are a foregone conclusion is the enemy of democracy. Particularly at a time of political flux, when previous norms are a less certain guide.

Fair points but the cynic in me says first past the post is a total stitch up that suits the main parties far more than the rest. Political reform might be needed to see real change but that's probably a debate for another thread. And we know the Conservatives and Labour will fight tooth and nail to keep first past the post exactly as it is.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 13:39 - Nov 21 with 4699 viewsZedRodgers

Broxtowe (LAB GAIN)

No, not at the moment

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 14:14 - Nov 21 with 4652 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 13:39 - Nov 21 by ZedRodgers

Broxtowe (LAB GAIN)

I would like to respond Cambridge, Bedford or Peterborough all of which will be LAB loses but I can't.

2023 year of destiny

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 14:33 - Nov 21 with 4618 viewsCoastalblue

Unlikely to be anything but a massive Labour majority here, having said that there are lots of unhappy bunnies about the candidate being fielded and a lot of allegations and mud slinging going on which I'm not going to repeat here.

Almost certainly huge Labour majority, but you never know, there might be enough p1ssed off people to cause a shock.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 14:48 - Nov 21 with 4591 viewschicoazul

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 12:52 - Nov 21 by Steve_M

Nope. Holborn and St Pancras, Labour majority of 30,000 last time.

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/Const

For all my misgivings about Corbyn at least Kier Starmer is one of the better members of the Shadow Cabinet. (That does sound like damning with faint praise a little but he's good).

You watch him get the boot if the Maximum Leader wins though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 15:02 - Nov 21 with 4582 viewssaxon

Lab-Con marginal. Lab majority of 1200 at last election, but previously conservative. District council (which has boundaries almost as per the parliamentary constituency) elections and Euro Elections for the Constituency LibDems were top though. And greens also polled higher than both Con and Lab. Could go any way probably, depending upon how tactical voting pans out.
Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 15:16 - Nov 21 with 4561 viewsDanTheMan

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 13:39 - Nov 21 by ZedRodgers

Broxtowe (LAB GAIN)

Amazed how many of us in Broxtowe there are on here.

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 15:18 - Nov 21 with 4557 viewsPinewoodblue

Broxtowe (LAB GAIN)

Don't often respond twice to a post but a quick check of predictions for individual seats suggests you are going to be disappointed with Labour share of the vote down to below 33% with a comfortable conservative win.

2023 year of destiny

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 15:24 - Nov 21 with 4545 viewsDanTheMan

Anyone live in an area where their vote matters? on 15:18 - Nov 21 by Pinewoodblue

Don't often respond twice to a post but a quick check of predictions for individual seats suggests you are going to be disappointed with Labour share of the vote down to below 33% with a comfortable conservative win.

That genuinely surprises me, especially given Lib Dems have stepped down and I can't see that many going for Soubry.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024