Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour Manifesto 11:56 - Nov 21 with 23022 viewsZedRodgers

Published: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-20

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 11:57 - Nov 21 with 5393 viewsZedRodgers

That's the ticket

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 11:58 - Nov 21 with 5380 viewsZedRodgers

Windfall tax on the oil and gas greed-freaks eh.

"A Labour government would put an £11bn windfall tax on oil and gas companies to create a “just transition fund” and help shift the UK towards a green economy without creating mass job losses, Jeremy Corbyn has said.

The one-off tax would be calculated according to an assessment of each firm’s past contribution to the climate crisis, Labour said — and could be paid over years.

The total is 10 times the £1.1bn that the Treasury expects to raise from the oil and gas sector this year."

That's the ticket.

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 12:05 - Nov 21 with 5351 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Labour Manifesto on 11:57 - Nov 21 by ZedRodgers

That's the ticket

Four new bank holidays and a 32 hour working week within 10 years? I am surprised they do not put this as the tag line of their entire campaign.

Many will not want to digest any information* before voting, put these simple supposed benefits in front of the masses and Labour may have a chance

* I do not endorse that extra bank holidays or 4 day weeks will actually be a benefit to anyone in the long term

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Labour Manifesto on 12:09 - Nov 21 with 5332 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 11:58 - Nov 21 by ZedRodgers

"A Labour government would put an £11bn windfall tax on oil and gas companies to create a “just transition fund” and help shift the UK towards a green economy without creating mass job losses, Jeremy Corbyn has said.

The one-off tax would be calculated according to an assessment of each firm’s past contribution to the climate crisis, Labour said — and could be paid over years.

The total is 10 times the £1.1bn that the Treasury expects to raise from the oil and gas sector this year."

That's the ticket.

This is, of course, the headline. However, I am not sure how good it is.

1 The cost of it will ultimately borne by the customer which may make alternatives more affordable but are really likely only to push up the cost of living.

2 How long (years is very vague) would the companies have to pay this extra 10x normal tax bill on top of what they already pay (how does that compare to profits?) and how will it be broken down between companies (again the detail you give is vague) especially when most of them are global companies not purely British suppliers?

It is also the idea of retrospective action that I have a bit of a problem with. The companies acted according to the rules at the time. The fact we might not like those rules now, it is somewhat unfair to change them and backdate that change.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Labour Manifesto on 12:09 - Nov 21 with 5333 viewsfooters

Labour Manifesto on 12:05 - Nov 21 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Four new bank holidays and a 32 hour working week within 10 years? I am surprised they do not put this as the tag line of their entire campaign.

Many will not want to digest any information* before voting, put these simple supposed benefits in front of the masses and Labour may have a chance

* I do not endorse that extra bank holidays or 4 day weeks will actually be a benefit to anyone in the long term

France seem to do OK on 35 hours a week, in fairness. New ways of working and improved efficiencies could make that a serious reality, instead of the arbitrary 40+ hours we have now.

At first glance, seems to be a very good manifesto that should help millions up and down the country. I look forward to the next few weeks of Tories trying to convince the majority that it would somehow be against their interests!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour Manifesto on 12:13 - Nov 21 with 5315 viewsGlasgowBlue

That's the ticket.

Good to see they given up any hope of winning more seats on Scotland.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour Manifesto on 12:14 - Nov 21 with 5315 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour Manifesto on 11:57 - Nov 21 by ZedRodgers

That's the ticket

Cancelled shifts to be paid and proper notice to be given.

Breaks during shifts to be paid.

Full rights from day 1 on the job.

The self-employment loophole is a good ideal too but depends how legislation is phrased as to whether it will work.

Those sound good. Presumably it would also see the end of zero-hours contracts.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Labour Manifesto on 12:19 - Nov 21 with 5288 viewsmonytowbray

A 32 hour working week is needed. The 40 hour week is a dated concept based on people getting married young and having a stay-at-home wife to do all the life admin/look after the kids. That’s not the norm now and no wonder so many people are tired/stressed/depressed finding time in the week to do work, life admin and find free time to relax/enjoy themselves.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour Manifesto on 12:24 - Nov 21 with 5257 viewsSteve_M

That's the ticket.

That's going to help against the SNP in Scotland. There's also a risk that this just increases the decline in North Sea production.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Labour Manifesto on 12:25 - Nov 21 with 5246 viewslowhouseblue

Labour Manifesto on 12:19 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

A 32 hour working week is needed. The 40 hour week is a dated concept based on people getting married young and having a stay-at-home wife to do all the life admin/look after the kids. That’s not the norm now and no wonder so many people are tired/stressed/depressed finding time in the week to do work, life admin and find free time to relax/enjoy themselves.

but do people want to take home 20% less?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour Manifesto on 12:28 - Nov 21 with 5240 viewsfooters

Labour Manifesto on 12:24 - Nov 21 by Steve_M

That's going to help against the SNP in Scotland. There's also a risk that this just increases the decline in North Sea production.

Labour don't really have a hope in Scotland, let's face it. No other party does either, really. And North Sea production has been a dead duck for years, with many of the rigs out of service completely or the companies not willing to invest in the newer drilling bits to reach what is left untapped.

Labour Manifesto on 12:28 - Nov 21 with 5237 viewsmonytowbray

Labour Manifesto on 12:25 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

I imagine the option of "overtime" would still exist.

TWTD never forgets…

Labour Manifesto on 12:29 - Nov 21 with 5226 viewsZedRodgers

Labour Manifesto on 12:14 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Cancelled shifts to be paid and proper notice to be given.

Breaks during shifts to be paid.

Full rights from day 1 on the job.

The self-employment loophole is a good ideal too but depends how legislation is phrased as to whether it will work.

Those sound good. Presumably it would also see the end of zero-hours contracts.

All great.

Extension of maternity and paternity pay is right and will be of huge benefit to lots of people.

Introduction of statutory bereavement leave also massive.

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 12:29 - Nov 21 with 5223 viewslowhouseblue

Labour Manifesto on 12:28 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

I imagine the option of "overtime" would still exist.

so they'd do 32 hours plus overtime in order to take them back to their original pay level. where's the gain in that?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour Manifesto on 12:30 - Nov 21 with 5220 viewsfooters

Just because you work one day less doesn't mean you have to earn 20% less. You should measure productivity, not hours.

Labour Manifesto on 12:31 - Nov 21 with 5201 viewsZedRodgers

"In football, the professional game has become divided between the extremes of the very rich and the very poor with clubs in Bury and Bolton facing collapse.

A Labour government will examine the state of the game, its governance and regulation, its ownership rules and the support and funding of the clubs that are vital to local communities. We will review the ‘fit and proper person test’ for club owners and directors and ensure that supporters’ trusts have a proper role so that the professional game is properly run for all its fans and all its clubs.

A Labour government will legislate for accredited football supporters’ trusts to be able to appoint and remove at least two club directors and purchase shares when clubs change hands. We will regulate safe standing in stadiums and ensure that a proportion of the Premier League’s television rights income is spent on grassroots football facilities."

Not quite 50+1, but a huge step in the right direction IMO.

No, not at the moment

Labour Manifesto on 12:33 - Nov 21 with 5181 viewsSteve_M

Labour Manifesto on 12:28 - Nov 21 by footers

Labour don't really have a hope in Scotland, let's face it. No other party does either, really. And North Sea production has been a dead duck for years, with many of the rigs out of service completely or the companies not willing to invest in the newer drilling bits to reach what is left untapped.

Yes, it's a declining sector but it still strikes me as a policy with very obvious flaws. It's also hard to see how Labour form a government without Scottish seats and there are many reasons for people not to vote SNP.

Obviously a sensible country would have created a stabilisation fund for oil revenues back in the 70s - even Texas has one for FFS - and used that money to provide infrastructure and investment over time but that's another point.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Labour Manifesto on 12:33 - Nov 21 with 5180 viewsJon_456

Labour Manifesto on 12:19 - Nov 21 by monytowbray

I really dont see how a 40 hour week is difficult, that's surely the minimum required?

I and many people I know work 55-60+ hour weeks and find plenty of time to get everything done that we need to in our life (not a look at me by the way, just a fact).

Take 40 hours away from a 168 hours in a week, take another 56 hours away for sleeping (based on average 8 hours) and that still leaves you with 72 hours in a week to do what the hell you want. Will an extra 8 hours really make that much of a difference?
Labour Manifesto on 12:36 - Nov 21 with 5156 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour Manifesto on 12:24 - Nov 21 by Steve_M

North sea oil and natural gas liquid extraction increased last year by over 10‰ not just from existing fields but new ones.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour Manifesto on 12:36 - Nov 21 with 5154 viewshomer_123

What proportion of any manifesto actually becomes policy though?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Labour Manifesto on 12:37 - Nov 21 with 5153 viewsmonytowbray

Labour Manifesto on 12:33 - Nov 21 by Jon_456

I really dont see how a 40 hour week is difficult, that's surely the minimum required?

I and many people I know work 55-60+ hour weeks and find plenty of time to get everything done that we need to in our life (not a look at me by the way, just a fact).

Take 40 hours away from a 168 hours in a week, take another 56 hours away for sleeping (based on average 8 hours) and that still leaves you with 72 hours in a week to do what the hell you want. Will an extra 8 hours really make that much of a difference?

I worked 50/60 once but I could hammer them into 3-4 days and have more time off, and also have time off in the day on weekdays to get stuff done. the 9-5 M-F setup is dated, doesn't work around life and tests show shorter weeks don't impact productivity negatively.

How much work do most people get done after 1pm on a Friday? I imagine a lot of people don't get much done at other times too considering their posting habits on here (yes I include myself in that, certainly had a few days where I've been on here too much).

No one lied on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time in the office.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 12:38]

TWTD never forgets…

Labour Manifesto on 12:37 - Nov 21 with 5151 viewsfooters

Labour Manifesto on 12:33 - Nov 21 by Steve_M

Yes, it's a declining sector but it still strikes me as a policy with very obvious flaws. It's also hard to see how Labour form a government without Scottish seats and there are many reasons for people not to vote SNP.

Obviously a sensible country would have created a stabilisation fund for oil revenues back in the 70s - even Texas has one for FFS - and used that money to provide infrastructure and investment over time but that's another point.

My dad's a toolpusher of +25 years, and think the last time he worked on a Labrador rig in the North Sea was when I was in short trousers! Most go to Nigeria or elsewhere these days. But Aberdeen etc remain important centres for the industry so doubt they'd want to up sticks too readily, even with these measures.

The SNP's populism isn't going to wane in Scotland, and I'd hope to see a Lab-SNP coalition if Pushkin came to Shovekin.

You are of course right on your last para. To think we didn't take that opportunity at the time is utter madness.

Labour Manifesto on 12:38 - Nov 21 with 5138 viewslowhouseblue

Labour Manifesto on 12:30 - Nov 21 by footers

Just because you work one day less doesn't mean you have to earn 20% less. You should measure productivity, not hours.

so you're going to get 20% productivity across the board - including labour intensive sectors. that's quite an assumption. and all of that productivity growth is going to go on reducing hours, rather than people taking more money home (and that's after a decade of stagnant earnings)?

i have some magic beans that you might like to buy?

Labour Manifesto on 12:43 - Nov 21 with 5054 viewsPinewoodblue

Productivity is going to increase by 20% Jeremy says so. Not sure how the NHS can secure such an increase in performance. Going to be difficult to find all the extra staff they will need.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour Manifesto on 12:47 - Nov 21 with 5020 viewsfooters

Labour Manifesto on 12:38 - Nov 21 by lowhouseblue

so you're going to get 20% productivity across the board - including labour intensive sectors. that's quite an assumption. and all of that productivity growth is going to go on reducing hours, rather than people taking more money home (and that's after a decade of stagnant earnings)?

i have some magic beans that you might like to buy?

We're a country that has a service sector making up 80% of GDP, it's not the 70s any more, y'know. Even if you factor in Friday afternoons (post-pub), then you'd only have to find half a day's extra productivity :)

If you're simply looking at hours rather than productivity, then that's rather old fashioned and not in step with the modern world of work. There'd be no need to take home less, and people could of course opt-out as they do in France. I wonder why their economy's not in tatters? Probably been eating your magic beans :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024