Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal line technology 12:28 - Nov 24 with 1690 viewsBent_double

I know it's not used in leagues 1 & 2, but we have it, don't we, or has it simply been taken away until we're back in the Championship, or leagues 1 & 2 decide to adopt it?

Serious question, just wondered why, if the club owned the actual system, that they can't/don't operate it, and use the 'evidence' in the match highlights, so it would at least clear up disputed goals (not that it would help of course!). Even on here fans can't agree if it should have been a goal or not yesterday.

I guess there's a financial cost to operating it as well.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Goal line technology on 12:34 - Nov 24 with 1666 viewsEastTownBlue

The technlogy and cameras which could be seen at the back of the Co-op stand are no longer present. I presume that it belongs to the EFL and has ended up at somewhere like Luton instead.

Only the play off matches at this level have GLT in place.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 12:39]
Goal line technology on 13:18 - Nov 24 with 1608 viewsSitfcB

Goal line technology on 12:34 - Nov 24 by EastTownBlue

The technlogy and cameras which could be seen at the back of the Co-op stand are no longer present. I presume that it belongs to the EFL and has ended up at somewhere like Luton instead.

Only the play off matches at this level have GLT in place.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 12:39]

I always thought it was up to the club to pay for the installation.

Hope not because it would’ve been a waste of money as we’ll have to have it all fitted again next season!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Goal line technology on 15:12 - Nov 24 with 1499 viewsPilgrimblue

Goal line technology on 13:18 - Nov 24 by SitfcB

I always thought it was up to the club to pay for the installation.

Hope not because it would’ve been a waste of money as we’ll have to have it all fitted again next season!

It's more to do with other clubs in L1 & L2 not having the cameras so unless EFL make it available to all clubs it's not going to happen. So far we've been denied two goals at least and I guess others have suffered too! Action is needed by EFL.
Goal line technology on 15:17 - Nov 24 with 1495 viewstractorboy1978

It's an indictment of the way the game has gone in this country that there is the technology in place and 100 different camera angles to prove that someone has a pubic hair offside, yet only two divisions lower we don't know if the ball is over the line or not.
Goal line technology on 15:33 - Nov 24 with 1454 viewsRadlett_blue

Goal line technology on 15:12 - Nov 24 by Pilgrimblue

It's more to do with other clubs in L1 & L2 not having the cameras so unless EFL make it available to all clubs it's not going to happen. So far we've been denied two goals at least and I guess others have suffered too! Action is needed by EFL.

It is surprisingly expensive - about £200,000 to set up in a stadium, plus operating costs. Even the Scottish Premier League rejected it on cost grounds so it won't be coming into the English 3rd or 4th tier any time soon. You just have to take the rough with the smooth, like so many marginal decisions. Very hard for match day officials to give a goal if they aren't sure.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Goal line technology on 15:45 - Nov 24 with 1422 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is an argument that a level playing field means every team in the competition should have the capacity or not. With this system that means it should be owned and operated by the EFL and transferred between grounds according to relegation from and promotion into the lowest level it is used at.

An argument for some time against use of any of the technology was that it couldn't be used at the lowest levels of the game. Not an argument I subscribe to personally.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Goal line technology on 16:23 - Nov 24 with 1349 viewsBent_double

Goal line technology on 15:33 - Nov 24 by Radlett_blue

It is surprisingly expensive - about £200,000 to set up in a stadium, plus operating costs. Even the Scottish Premier League rejected it on cost grounds so it won't be coming into the English 3rd or 4th tier any time soon. You just have to take the rough with the smooth, like so many marginal decisions. Very hard for match day officials to give a goal if they aren't sure.

More expensive than I thought it would be. Mind you, a £20m 'grant' from those lovely people at the Premier League (ie £1m per club) would more than pay for it, if they were so inclined.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Goal line technology on 16:25 - Nov 24 with 1338 viewsRadlett_blue

Goal line technology on 15:45 - Nov 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is an argument that a level playing field means every team in the competition should have the capacity or not. With this system that means it should be owned and operated by the EFL and transferred between grounds according to relegation from and promotion into the lowest level it is used at.

An argument for some time against use of any of the technology was that it couldn't be used at the lowest levels of the game. Not an argument I subscribe to personally.

The "level playing field" argument doesn't apply because goal line tech still creates a level playing field in each and every game in which it is used. Having it doesn't give a club an advantage (unless you think that at home, they're likely to attack more and get the benefit of more close decisions).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Goal line technology on 20:18 - Nov 24 with 1171 viewsBluearmy71

The should do away with the bloody lot of it at every ground, its all so ridiculous, if the ref or lino determines the ball was over the line in a split second or not is all part of the game! Lets face it the only reason its in place is so the bigger clubs don't miss out on a few extra pounds in the coffers!

As for V.A.R well its quite unbelievable we have this in our football matches, it turns every decision into a long winded farce, with that and the terminology used by commentators ie phases & transitions and even "game day" its turning everything about our prestigious game into American footballesque bullsh!t!
Goal line technology on 20:42 - Nov 24 with 1132 viewspelles321

Goal line technology on 20:18 - Nov 24 by Bluearmy71

The should do away with the bloody lot of it at every ground, its all so ridiculous, if the ref or lino determines the ball was over the line in a split second or not is all part of the game! Lets face it the only reason its in place is so the bigger clubs don't miss out on a few extra pounds in the coffers!

As for V.A.R well its quite unbelievable we have this in our football matches, it turns every decision into a long winded farce, with that and the terminology used by commentators ie phases & transitions and even "game day" its turning everything about our prestigious game into American footballesque bullsh!t!

I personally completely disagree with this. It must be so difficult for referees and assistants to see this so quickly, usually with bodies in the way. Whilst some decisions, such as fouls can be a matter of opinion, the ball over the line is a fact. Like a no ball in cricket.

It’s frustrating it’s not in use due to finances, as we’ve seen this season that officials at this level probably need more help, not less.
Goal line technology on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 910 viewsSamWhiteUK

Goal line technology on 15:17 - Nov 24 by tractorboy1978

It's an indictment of the way the game has gone in this country that there is the technology in place and 100 different camera angles to prove that someone has a pubic hair offside, yet only two divisions lower we don't know if the ball is over the line or not.

You use the word "prove" very loosely ;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024