Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conservative manifesto 19:18 - Nov 24 with 8060 viewsHerbivore

Looks to be less a manifesto and more a couple of slogans endlessly repeated. It's shockingly lacking in detail and substance and offers no real vision for the country.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Conservative manifesto on 19:24 - Nov 24 with 2400 viewshomer_123

It's not exactly visionary.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Conservative manifesto on 19:27 - Nov 24 with 2387 viewsfooters

"Reverse some of our cuts"

Cool.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Conservative manifesto on 19:28 - Nov 24 with 2382 viewsBrixtonBlue

I like how they said bus passes for pensioners would remain. Bit weird to announce something that's not changing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Conservative manifesto on 19:28 - Nov 24 with 2383 viewsHerbivore

Conservative manifesto on 19:24 - Nov 24 by homer_123

It's not exactly visionary.

Their campaign isn't at all. They're just desperately trying not to score any massive own goals and sticking to the two lines of "Get Brexit done" and "Boo, Labour, boo!!!". That's it. That's the entirety of their GE campaign really. Their backers in the press are doing a grand job of selling it too, their lead in the polls is somehow holding or, in some polls, increasing. This country is inhabited largely by turkeys who happily vote for Xmas.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 19:36]

Conservative manifesto on 19:29 - Nov 24 with 2377 viewsHerbivore

Conservative manifesto on 19:28 - Nov 24 by BrixtonBlue

I like how they said bus passes for pensioners would remain. Bit weird to announce something that's not changing.

The grey vote is what wins them elections. It's a reminder to them that the Tories care about old people (so long as they aren't sick or poor).

Conservative manifesto on 19:34 - Nov 24 with 2350 viewsfooters

Conservative manifesto on 19:29 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

The grey vote is what wins them elections. It's a reminder to them that the Tories care about old people (so long as they aren't sick or poor).

Just don't let them watch the BBC for free.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Conservative manifesto on 19:37 - Nov 24 with 2320 viewsBluefish

The lack of opposition will mean that it is enough to win by 42 though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Conservative manifesto on 19:38 - Nov 24 with 2315 viewsBackToRussia

Was watching a doc on WWII the other day. It said Goebbels had this idea of a big lie. You could get people to believe anything as long as it was simple, all encompassing and what people wanted to hear (or was emotionally appealing). You then condense it into a few slogans and repeat them ad nauseum until people were pummeled into believing it. "Get Brexit done" did leap to mind.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

Conservative manifesto on 19:39 - Nov 24 with 2312 viewsWD19

It’s certainly and predictably a ‘safety first’ one. Like others have said, they are clearly keen to avoid controversy and I guess, unlike some of the other parties, there is a very real possibility they will have to deliver an undiluted version of what they promise - which lends itself to pragmatism.
Conservative manifesto on 19:43 - Nov 24 with 2262 viewsHerbivore

Conservative manifesto on 19:39 - Nov 24 by WD19

It’s certainly and predictably a ‘safety first’ one. Like others have said, they are clearly keen to avoid controversy and I guess, unlike some of the other parties, there is a very real possibility they will have to deliver an undiluted version of what they promise - which lends itself to pragmatism.

It's not even pragmatic per se, it's totally devoid of substance. Of the few commitments made, a number are incredibly vague and light on specific detail. And none of their spending commitments are costed, they want to spend more whilst not raising any taxes for anyone. Labour wouldn't get away with that.

Conservative manifesto on 19:49 - Nov 24 with 2237 viewshomer_123

Conservative manifesto on 19:39 - Nov 24 by WD19

How will they address..

Backwards social mobility
Fewer and fewer people controlling the wealth
Chronic NHS underfunding
Social care
Police, Education etc.

On initial inspection that manifesto is very little if anything over and above a sticking plaster.

Conservative manifesto on 19:50 - Nov 24 with 2231 viewsjimmyvet

Conservative manifesto on 19:43 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

It's not even pragmatic per se, it's totally devoid of substance. Of the few commitments made, a number are incredibly vague and light on specific detail. And none of their spending commitments are costed, they want to spend more whilst not raising any taxes for anyone. Labour wouldn't get away with that.

Schocker H thinks the Tories manifesto is pants! Never saw that one coming.
Conservative manifesto on 19:51 - Nov 24 with 2222 viewshomer_123

Conservative manifesto on 19:43 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

Trickle down economics innit.

Conservative manifesto on 19:51 - Nov 24 with 2215 viewsHerbivore

Conservative manifesto on 19:50 - Nov 24 by jimmyvet

Great input. What are your thoughts on it?

Conservative manifesto on 19:51 - Nov 24 with 2206 viewsm14_blue

What does J think of it?
Conservative manifesto on 19:52 - Nov 24 with 2199 viewshomer_123

Genuine question. Given the current state of our country and society, how does the Tory manifesto deal and address this?

Conservative manifesto on 19:52 - Nov 24 with 2197 viewsBackToRussia

Conservative manifesto on 19:51 - Nov 24 by m14_blue

What does J think of it?

Jeremy Corbyn didn't write it, so jimmy's a pretty big fan.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Conservative manifesto on 19:54 - Nov 24 with 2172 viewsJ2BLUE

Conservative manifesto on 19:28 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

Their campaign isn't at all. They're just desperately trying not to score any massive own goals and sticking to the two lines of "Get Brexit done" and "Boo, Labour, boo!!!". That's it. That's the entirety of their GE campaign really. Their backers in the press are doing a grand job of selling it too, their lead in the polls is somehow holding or, in some polls, increasing. This country is inhabited largely by turkeys who happily vote for Xmas.

Genuine question - in your opinion, does any blame lie with Corbyn and co for being ineffective or is it entirely down to the media painting a picture and enough of the public being dumb enough to fall for it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Conservative manifesto on 19:54 - Nov 24 with 2167 viewsm14_blue

Conservative manifesto on 19:52 - Nov 24 by BackToRussia

Jeremy Corbyn didn't write it, so jimmy's a pretty big fan.

I nearly added that I'd prefer it if the reply wasn't all about Corbyn but figured that would just make the chances of any reply at all even more unlikely.
Conservative manifesto on 19:55 - Nov 24 with 2160 viewshomer_123

Conservative manifesto on 19:28 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

I guess they feel...and possibly correctly, that they dont need to do anything.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone can vote Tory.

Corbyn is far from appeing on face value granted but are people that scared or blind that they'd vote Tory?

They called the referendum, to deal with an internal issue...were among enough to consider they knew the outcome. Have then implemented a damaging austerity approach whilst failing to deliver Brexit etc etc.

Madness.

Conservative manifesto on 19:56 - Nov 24 with 2139 viewsjaykay

but we all knew you were coming.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Conservative manifesto on 19:56 - Nov 24 with 2139 viewsHerbivore

Conservative manifesto on 19:54 - Nov 24 by J2BLUE

Genuine question - in your opinion, does any blame lie with Corbyn and co for being ineffective or is it entirely down to the media painting a picture and enough of the public being dumb enough to fall for it?

What specifically is ineffective about Labour in your opinion? They are offering a genuine alternative that is designed to make society fairer. I think you need to make it clear what you mean by Labour being ineffective before I can answer your question.

Conservative manifesto on 19:57 - Nov 24 with 2132 viewsm14_blue

Conservative manifesto on 19:55 - Nov 24 by homer_123

I guess they feel...and possibly correctly, that they dont need to do anything.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone can vote Tory.

Corbyn is far from appeing on face value granted but are people that scared or blind that they'd vote Tory?

They called the referendum, to deal with an internal issue...were among enough to consider they knew the outcome. Have then implemented a damaging austerity approach whilst failing to deliver Brexit etc etc.

Madness.

Pretty much where I'm at.

Still not in the least convinced by Corbyn and incredibly frustrated that he has offered such feeble opposition to a catastrophic Government.

But I just can't see how any normal person (ultra rich excluded) could even consider voting Tory. It's just bonkers.
Conservative manifesto on 19:58 - Nov 24 with 2129 viewshomer_123

Conservative manifesto on 19:54 - Nov 24 by J2BLUE

It's both isnt it J2?

Corbyn is far from appealing...agreed. But the Tories should be disbanded for what they have done to this country. Yet.. here we are...people seem happy to blindly continue to vote for them. I'm still struggling on who to vote for. The Tory manifesto doesnt address any major issues facing this Country...at leadtvLabours tries even if it might be a tad nuts in places.

Conservative manifesto on 19:58 - Nov 24 with 2133 viewsLankHenners

And I'm sure this is probably fine.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024