Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garbutt 09:40 - Nov 25 with 4555 viewsSomethingBlue

Was talking to a "football person" the other day who turned out to have been at a couple of our games this season (most recently Rochdale) and commented, unprompted, that Garbutt had been head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. I haven't seen enough full games to comment, really, but found that interesting. Wonder if anyone in the Champ might fancy a go for him in January.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Garbutt on 09:49 - Nov 25 with 4270 viewsMuncher

He's been decent but not that good. He's not even the best full back on the pitch when KVY is playing.
Garbutt on 09:52 - Nov 25 with 4237 viewsMrTown

I like him, think he's good, beautiful technique with his left foot. Him and KVY to be honest could solve our full back problems we've had for years since Mings/Cresswell.

Both I believe could make step to Championship.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Garbutt on 09:52 - Nov 25 with 4233 viewsHerbivore

Proof if proof were needed that "football people" don't always know more than the average punter. Garbutt was pretty mediocre against Rochdale, especially first half, and whilst he has been good here overall I wouldn't say he stands out, especially at left back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Garbutt on 09:54 - Nov 25 with 4226 viewsITFC_Forever

Funnily enough, I was about to post something similar(ish)....

Took 14 yr old daughter for the first time in a couple of years and while not being a football expert, she has a decent concept of team sports from her playing netball at a very decent standard.
She immediately picked Garbutt out as our best player, noting that he was back cutting out crosses, then was pushing forward to create chances - a goal, assist and two near-assists (poor finishing / officiating preventing them from being "proper" assists).

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Garbutt on 09:54 - Nov 25 with 4218 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Garbutt on 09:49 - Nov 25 by Muncher

He's been decent but not that good. He's not even the best full back on the pitch when KVY is playing.

Probably because he isn't a full back

By that I mean he shouldn't be playing there
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 9:55]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Garbutt on 09:58 - Nov 25 with 4183 viewsSomethingBlue

Garbutt on 09:52 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Proof if proof were needed that "football people" don't always know more than the average punter. Garbutt was pretty mediocre against Rochdale, especially first half, and whilst he has been good here overall I wouldn't say he stands out, especially at left back.

It is admittedly possible that Garbutt was the biggest "name" on the pitch so there may have been a touch of confirmation bias. Was someone whose judgment tends to be v good though.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Garbutt on 10:02 - Nov 25 with 4139 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 09:58 - Nov 25 by SomethingBlue

It is admittedly possible that Garbutt was the biggest "name" on the pitch so there may have been a touch of confirmation bias. Was someone whose judgment tends to be v good though.

Fair dos. I just think it's a very odd conclusion to draw from watching him at Rochdale. I think he's been good for us and I hope we sign him permanently but he doesn't look like a player playing in a side he's too good for in the way that Fraser or Lawrence did, or even someone like Carter-Vickers. They were all loanees who were noticeably better than our own players, I like Garbutt but I don't see him being in that bracket.

Garbutt on 10:17 - Nov 25 with 4054 viewsJakeITFC

He’s certainly the most natural footballer we have, and most of his work is quality.

I commented the same on the Rochdale game - nobody had a particularly good game for us that night (first half especially), but Garbutt is always good in possession, has a lovely touch and a wicked set piece delivery.

I’m not really having him as a left back though - I think Kenlock starting and him pushing up might be one of the most positive changes we can make right now.
Login to get fewer ads

Garbutt on 10:19 - Nov 25 with 4027 viewsSmith45

Whilst he can be awesome going forwards and believe he offers so much with his set piece deliveries at times I've not been overly impressed with his defensive work and think we should be stopping much more crosses coming in to our box from that side.
Garbutt on 10:21 - Nov 25 with 4025 viewsSteve_M

He was good Saturday, the difference technically when he or Downes, or even Wolfenden, was on the ball was notable. I still think he's a better wide midfielder than fullback but has improved there, notably positionally, from his first few games in defence.

Is he a Championship player? I'm not sure if he's strong enough to be a full back and perhaps neither quick or skilful enough to be a winger. He probably stands out because he's better technically but he's an outside shout for player of the season for me.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Garbutt on 10:21 - Nov 25 with 4019 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think he has been in general, I made him MoM on Saturday though, even putting aside his goal and basically assist.

His defending has improved a bit as that is a weakness but he is a very good footballer and contributes in all phases of the game and from deadballs. His goal return for basically a left back is very good already.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Garbutt on 10:22 - Nov 25 with 4006 viewschicoazul

Tell Guardiola to stop coming to games, we arent selling Woolf and thats that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Garbutt on 10:27 - Nov 25 with 3975 viewsGarv

Garbutt on 10:02 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Fair dos. I just think it's a very odd conclusion to draw from watching him at Rochdale. I think he's been good for us and I hope we sign him permanently but he doesn't look like a player playing in a side he's too good for in the way that Fraser or Lawrence did, or even someone like Carter-Vickers. They were all loanees who were noticeably better than our own players, I like Garbutt but I don't see him being in that bracket.

We need to get him further forward really. Either by getting Kenlock back in or buying a new LB, which we need either way.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Garbutt on 10:35 - Nov 25 with 3909 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 10:27 - Nov 25 by Garv

We need to get him further forward really. Either by getting Kenlock back in or buying a new LB, which we need either way.

Totally agree. I like Garbutt further up the pitch and I think we'd be a better side with him pushed forward. Kenlock is terrible though so it may have to wait until January.

Garbutt on 10:40 - Nov 25 with 3875 viewsKeaneish

Garbutt on 10:21 - Nov 25 by itfcjoe

I don't think he has been in general, I made him MoM on Saturday though, even putting aside his goal and basically assist.

His defending has improved a bit as that is a weakness but he is a very good footballer and contributes in all phases of the game and from deadballs. His goal return for basically a left back is very good already.

MoM was Wolfenden for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Garbutt on 11:14 - Nov 25 with 3758 viewsGarv

Garbutt on 10:35 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Totally agree. I like Garbutt further up the pitch and I think we'd be a better side with him pushed forward. Kenlock is terrible though so it may have to wait until January.

A little harsh. Defensively you have a case, but I like that he takes risks going forward and would help our current issue with under performing wingers.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Garbutt on 11:17 - Nov 25 with 3733 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 11:14 - Nov 25 by Garv

A little harsh. Defensively you have a case, but I like that he takes risks going forward and would help our current issue with under performing wingers.

I don't think it's harsh at all. Kenlock isn't close to being good enough unfortunately. There's a reason he dropped right out of the first team picture so early in the season.

Garbutt on 11:20 - Nov 25 with 3715 viewsPJH

Garbutt on 11:17 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

I don't think it's harsh at all. Kenlock isn't close to being good enough unfortunately. There's a reason he dropped right out of the first team picture so early in the season.

I think you are right.

The LB place was there for Kenlock for the taking but he just does not seem to be good enough to make it his own.
Garbutt on 11:36 - Nov 25 with 3633 viewsITFC_Forever

Garbutt on 11:20 - Nov 25 by PJH

I think you are right.

The LB place was there for Kenlock for the taking but he just does not seem to be good enough to make it his own.

My biggest criticism of Kenlock is he never seems to know exactly where the ball is, even when he has it.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Garbutt on 09:59 - Nov 26 with 3017 viewsWickets

I dont disagree with these views on Miles but he would be better if we had a left sided centre back as he often get exposed but needs to improve his concentration .
Garbutt on 10:45 - Nov 26 with 2864 viewsWallingford_Boy

Garbutt on 09:52 - Nov 25 by MrTown

I like him, think he's good, beautiful technique with his left foot. Him and KVY to be honest could solve our full back problems we've had for years since Mings/Cresswell.

Both I believe could make step to Championship.

He's not a full back though and isn't really a very good defender, which is kinda important for a left back!!

Great left foot though, I'll give you that.

RIP Sir Bobby

Garbutt on 10:47 - Nov 26 with 2853 viewsPJH

Garbutt on 10:45 - Nov 26 by Wallingford_Boy

He's not a full back though and isn't really a very good defender, which is kinda important for a left back!!

Great left foot though, I'll give you that.

True, but he is the best LB that we have got at the moment even if he is not one!
Garbutt on 11:16 - Nov 26 with 2796 viewsbritbiker

Garbutt on 11:36 - Nov 25 by ITFC_Forever

My biggest criticism of Kenlock is he never seems to know exactly where the ball is, even when he has it.

Kenlock seems to suffer from a lack of confidence. He has been poor in the first half but improves as the game goes on. Trouble is your hoping those first halves don't equate to goals being conceeded.
Garbutt on 12:19 - Nov 26 with 2603 viewsReuser_is_God

His technical ability is probably what sets him apart.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Garbutt on 13:13 - Nov 26 with 2455 viewsWestcountryblue

Technically he is superb. When we are on the front foot and he is able to venture into the oppositions half his crossing and shooting ability is a tremendous asset. The same with his free kicks.

In the Championship it might be harder for him. I haven't seen him have to defend attack after attack by a winger with any sort of pace. That is the real test.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024