Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman Road atmosphere 11:29 - Nov 25 with 5833 viewsportmanking

I thought the North Stand were somewhat pitiful on Saturday, save for a 15-minute spell after our penalty. I get the feeling looking around the NSL that everyone's just turning up and expecting to win because of our good start, but teams are always going to raise their game playing at PR.

I hope and pray that a night game under the lights can encourage people to be more vocal tomorrow night. A performance and victory in the manner of our win over Derby in the 14-15 campaign would set the tone for the next month or so over Christmas.
Portman Road atmosphere on 11:33 - Nov 25 with 4502 viewsGarv

I actually thought the atmos was good compared to recently. In recent years I've found midweek games to be quieter.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:35 - Nov 25 with 4491 viewsportmanking

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:33 - Nov 25 by Garv

I actually thought the atmos was good compared to recently. In recent years I've found midweek games to be quieter.

Really? It felt flatter than a witch's tit to me.

Everywhere I looked, people were just talking amongst themselves rather than investing in the action and getting behind the team. We can't afford to take our foot off the gas on the pitch, or on the terraces.
I hope not..... on 11:36 - Nov 25 with 4485 viewsBloots

....we lost at home to Derby that season.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I hope not..... on 11:39 - Nov 25 with 4474 viewsportmanking

I hope not..... on 11:36 - Nov 25 by Bloots

....we lost at home to Derby that season.

Did we? I'm thinking of the one where Berra scored right near the end to win it? The one where Jonny Williams terrorised them all evening.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 11:39]
That was the season before...... on 11:40 - Nov 25 with 4451 viewsBloots

I hope not..... on 11:39 - Nov 25 by portmanking

Did we? I'm thinking of the one where Berra scored right near the end to win it? The one where Jonny Williams terrorised them all evening.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 11:39]

....I remember it vividly.

Because Williams was fit.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:41 - Nov 25 with 4450 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

It was good for Portman road I thought.

Blue action have and still are doing well, but we haven't been a noisy stadium in years, despite having a mini resurgence last season. The steady progress is good, however, the drum is ruining it, just thump thump thump all game.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:41 - Nov 25 with 4448 viewsDyland

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:35 - Nov 25 by portmanking

Everywhere I looked, people were just talking amongst themselves rather than investing in the action and getting behind the team. We can't afford to take our foot off the gas on the pitch, or on the terraces.

Agree, it was pretty quiet compared to other games this season. Hopefully tomorrow night will be more lively.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:41 - Nov 25 with 4444 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it felt like a few fans just expected us to turn up and win. It got better in the second half, especially after our penalty, but fairly flat throughout. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Bloots is right btw, the Derby game you mean is the one the season before.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 11:50]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Don't be ridiculous on 11:43 - Nov 25 with 4427 viewsDyland

That was the season before...... on 11:40 - Nov 25 by Bloots

....I remember it vividly.

Because Williams was fit.

that never happened.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:46 - Nov 25 with 4407 viewsportmanking

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:41 - Nov 25 by Steve_M

Yes, it felt like a few fans just expected us to turn up and win. It got better in the second half, especially after our penalty, but fairly flat throughout. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Bloots is right btw, the Derby game you mean is the one the season before.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 11:50]

Exactly this. They were a top six team coming down to compete hard. It felt in the stands more like we were coming up against a bottom six team and we were just waiting for it to rain goals.

As galling as it may be that we are having to raise ourselves and call Wycombe Wanderers our rivals, we need to swallow our pride and treat tomorrow night as a mini cup final. Win it and we're in fabulous shape.
Portman Road atmosphere on 11:51 - Nov 25 with 4376 viewslmfcblue

The drummer and co in section 6 sing songs that know one really knows and are not really catchy which doesn't help.Good effort for trying knew songs but they were draining on Sat.
Portman Road atmosphere on 11:56 - Nov 25 with 4349 viewsLankHenners

We take the p!ss out of the likes of Reading for it and we're hardly the only ones but we're not far off 'you only sing when you're winning' being very applicable to us. As soon as we conceded the whole ground went flat and only picked up again once we scored the equaliser. Blue Action do their best but their mission is almost doomed for failure as I can't see how a sleepy Suffolk crowd is ever going to be 'bouncing' again unless we're winning every game and constantly on the attack.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Portman Road atmosphere on 12:05 - Nov 25 with 4283 viewsJTRNB

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:51 - Nov 25 by lmfcblue

The drummer and co in section 6 sing songs that know one really knows and are not really catchy which doesn't help.Good effort for trying knew songs but they were draining on Sat.

There were moments on Saturday that were brilliantly loud, when the whole stand joined in with the classics. Big respect to the young lad (or lass) belting out Blue Army at the top of their lungs when things were quite, it did get things going again.
Portman Road atmosphere on 12:38 - Nov 25 with 4132 viewsitfc_bucks

Must admit, we were sat in the Sir Alf and it was pretty dire as far as singing goes. Normally in the SBR Lower, but thought that might be a bit much for a 6 year old on his first trip!

Blackpool made some decent noise, given there was just 500 of them.
Portman Road atmosphere on 12:53 - Nov 25 with 4068 viewsSteve_M

Portman Road atmosphere on 12:38 - Nov 25 by itfc_bucks

Must admit, we were sat in the Sir Alf and it was pretty dire as far as singing goes. Normally in the SBR Lower, but thought that might be a bit much for a 6 year old on his first trip!

Blackpool made some decent noise, given there was just 500 of them.

"Blackpool made some decent noise, given there was just 500 of them."

Well, they did get out of Blackpool for the day so that probably helps.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:03 - Nov 25 with 4018 viewsSlambo

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:41 - Nov 25 by TRUE_BLUE123

It was good for Portman road I thought.

Blue action have and still are doing well, but we haven't been a noisy stadium in years, despite having a mini resurgence last season. The steady progress is good, however, the drum is ruining it, just thump thump thump all game.

The ol' drum. Was pretty indifferent to it when we first started this, thought it was one of the distinctive characteristics of European style 'ultra' groups we could dispense with (along with a megaphone); but I can't tell you how good it is to keep time. Without one, people clap to keep rhythm, and they'll inevitably go too slow, or too fast. Having a drum is indispensable...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:08 - Nov 25 with 3996 viewsSlambo

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:51 - Nov 25 by lmfcblue

We do sing the classics as much as possible, but the problem is that they don't lend themselves well to being sung for a sustained period. The only new ones I remember us really trying to push through on Saturday were We Won The League In '62, which is really simple and could've been picked up after a few rounds, and this dance tune that doesn't even have any words. Think they sing it at Rangers...

UPPA TOWEN!

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:14 - Nov 25 with 3964 viewsEdmundo

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:08 - Nov 25 by Slambo

We do sing the classics as much as possible, but the problem is that they don't lend themselves well to being sung for a sustained period. The only new ones I remember us really trying to push through on Saturday were We Won The League In '62, which is really simple and could've been picked up after a few rounds, and this dance tune that doesn't even have any words. Think they sing it at Rangers...

Five minutes of George Burleys Blue and White Army used to do enough to keep up atmosphere 20 years ago. Let's keep it simple and just belt out the classics like a Rolling Stones global tour.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:20 - Nov 25 with 3944 viewsTractorCam

I always have to ask this with these type of posts just out of curiosity, did you try and get songs started?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:45 - Nov 25 with 3853 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:03 - Nov 25 by Slambo

The ol' drum. Was pretty indifferent to it when we first started this, thought it was one of the distinctive characteristics of European style 'ultra' groups we could dispense with (along with a megaphone); but I can't tell you how good it is to keep time. Without one, people clap to keep rhythm, and they'll inevitably go too slow, or too fast. Having a drum is indispensable...

The problem is though and I don't know how drumming works in terms of noise. But pretty much all you can hear from the Sir Alf is thump thump thump, it just doesn't sound right.

Some of the best atmospheres in this country from the big northern and midlands clubs are without drums, I would suggest that to get a good atmosphere going you can do it without the drum as proven by other clubs. We aren't European ultras people aren't bouncing along to the drum, I just think it makes everything sound really robotic.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Portman Road atmosphere on 14:00 - Nov 25 with 3793 viewsportmanking

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:20 - Nov 25 by TractorCam

I always have to ask this with these type of posts just out of curiosity, did you try and get songs started?

Yep, me and the chaps in my row tried on two or three occasions and very little interest from those around us in Section 5.
Portman Road atmosphere on 14:35 - Nov 25 with 3715 viewsTractorCam

Portman Road atmosphere on 14:00 - Nov 25 by portmanking

Yep, me and the chaps in my row tried on two or three occasions and very little interest from those around us in Section 5.

Fair enough, I feel your pain. Hard to try and carry on if nobody else is singing around you.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Portman Road atmosphere on 15:08 - Nov 25 with 3644 viewsActionMan

It's generally because the football being played by both ourselves and the opposition is easily the worse most of us have ever seen in our lifetime and people are just switching off.

There really isn't much to get excited about during the games, or be enthralled by in terms of the quality we've seen on display and as for Ipswich we're at times just as bad as everyone else in this league. You add that to atrocious refereeing and it's hard to get amazingly excited by whats being shown, which is why if we don't get promoted and stay out of this league for good the crowds will start dropping to record lows.

It really is that bad to watch, and thats even the case of when we win. I still stand by the statement that the 70 minutes we played against Wimbledon was one of the worse displays of football, if not the worse, by an Ipswich team at home we'd ever seen.

Rubbish football causes flat crowds, flat crowds do not cause rubbish football.
Portman Road atmosphere on 15:46 - Nov 25 with 3546 viewsSlambo

Portman Road atmosphere on 11:56 - Nov 25 by LankHenners

We take the p!ss out of the likes of Reading for it and we're hardly the only ones but we're not far off 'you only sing when you're winning' being very applicable to us. As soon as we conceded the whole ground went flat and only picked up again once we scored the equaliser. Blue Action do their best but their mission is almost doomed for failure as I can't see how a sleepy Suffolk crowd is ever going to be 'bouncing' again unless we're winning every game and constantly on the attack.

It's a tricky one. Priority number 1 is getting into the middle. We managed to all get together for that Lincoln home cup game and it made the world of difference. We're going to tentatively canvas the wider fanbase in the upcoming weeks to see how open existing STs holders in section 5 would be to creating some space for us next season...

Maybe it's a bit grandiose, maybe we're completely deluded, but we really want to instigate a cultural shift among the supporters at the club. We get frustrated looking around sometimes at how few people get involved (in the North Stand of all places) but I think ALL English football fans - with only a few notable exceptions - have just fallen into bad habits with regard to how they support their clubs...

So the Sleepy Suffolkers can bounce, every game, rain or shine, up or down. There's nothing inherently different about us - it's simply mindset. Those raucous atmospheres you see on the continent weren't created overnight...

UPPA TOWEN!

Portman Road atmosphere on 15:55 - Nov 25 with 3523 viewsSlambo

Portman Road atmosphere on 13:45 - Nov 25 by TRUE_BLUE123

The problem is though and I don't know how drumming works in terms of noise. But pretty much all you can hear from the Sir Alf is thump thump thump, it just doesn't sound right.

Some of the best atmospheres in this country from the big northern and midlands clubs are without drums, I would suggest that to get a good atmosphere going you can do it without the drum as proven by other clubs. We aren't European ultras people aren't bouncing along to the drum, I just think it makes everything sound really robotic.

Yeah, I hear you. The ideal is that the drum keeps the beat for the singing, but then the singing is so loud that you can't actually hear the drum! But we're not there yet, at least not on a consistent basis...

UPPA TOWEN!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024