Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging 19:37 - Nov 25 with 5004 viewschicoazul

in the UK we have THE most dominant athlete in the world, Adam Peaty. He doesnt do it in a car or in a team, he just smashes everyone else again and again. This year he swam under 57 seconds before anyone else had swum under 58 and he just won the short course race too when everyone said he would lose.

Just look at this, this is pure dominance, one of the greatest athletic feats you will ever see from anyone, smashing a world class field in half; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/49143863

Lewis Hamilton? Alun bloody Wyn Jones? Jog on.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 19:39 - Nov 25 with 4745 viewsSE1blue

I agree. But swimming is not seen as glamorous.

I also think BBC Sports Personality should only be considered from sports that the BBC actually airs. Otherwise it should just be called Sports Personality of the Year.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 19:44 - Nov 25 with 4720 viewsIllinoisblue

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 19:39 - Nov 25 by SE1blue

I agree. But swimming is not seen as glamorous.

I also think BBC Sports Personality should only be considered from sports that the BBC actually airs. Otherwise it should just be called Sports Personality of the Year.

swimming and gymnastics and other such stuff should have thier own category. "Admirable Yet Quite Boring Hobby Pursuits" should do it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 19:49 - Nov 25 with 4694 viewsLeoMuff

Totally agree, and is there any sport duller than f1 ? What a load of over hyped bobbins, I would watch any sport over that, and as for Hamilton....FIGJAM

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 20:14 - Nov 25 with 4631 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Agreed...the relay is a great watch.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:07 - Nov 25 with 4579 viewsronnyd

The Beeb now is so PC that i don,t bother to watch much of it.
SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:15 - Nov 25 with 4563 viewsjas0999

Same old.

... bbc continue to get it wrong. So called lesser sports ignored.

Ronnie O’Sullivan won a record 19th Triple Crown event in the qualifying year. Ignored again.
SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:17 - Nov 25 with 4556 viewsSwansea_Blue

He’s awesome. Since my kids have taken up club swimming I’ve come to appreciate just how special the fella is. A worthy winner, but it’s not a sexy sport (it should be - swimming is F1 as Twitter is to War & Peace). Even the bluntest tack should be able to focus on a 1 minute race.

Edit - sorry, I’d missed that he wasn’t actually in it. Bizarre. Sterling is though . Just ticking the popularity box aren’t they.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 21:26]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:17 - Nov 26 with 4384 viewsdaisyisabaddog

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:17 - Nov 25 by Swansea_Blue

He’s awesome. Since my kids have taken up club swimming I’ve come to appreciate just how special the fella is. A worthy winner, but it’s not a sexy sport (it should be - swimming is F1 as Twitter is to War & Peace). Even the bluntest tack should be able to focus on a 1 minute race.

Edit - sorry, I’d missed that he wasn’t actually in it. Bizarre. Sterling is though . Just ticking the popularity box aren’t they.

Shouldn't Hamilton fall into the Overseas Sports Personality section? After all, he cleared off to Monoco when he signed his first big contract to avoid paying UK taxes. And doesn't he fall a bit short in the 'personality' department? My personal view is that Ben Stokes was head and shoulders above everyone else in 2019 but Peaty was a close second.
Login to get fewer ads

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:20 - Nov 26 with 4382 viewsGeoffSentence

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:07 - Nov 25 by ronnyd

Nice to know. But what has that got to do with SPOTY?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:27 - Nov 26 with 4367 viewsStokieBlue

Hamilton should be in it but totally agree about Peaty - what he's done in his events is ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:31 - Nov 26 with 4356 viewswellsy700

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:17 - Nov 26 by daisyisabaddog

Shouldn't Hamilton fall into the Overseas Sports Personality section? After all, he cleared off to Monoco when he signed his first big contract to avoid paying UK taxes. And doesn't he fall a bit short in the 'personality' department? My personal view is that Ben Stokes was head and shoulders above everyone else in 2019 but Peaty was a close second.

Agreed, surely Ben Stokes has it in the bag

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:43 - Nov 26 with 4319 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:17 - Nov 26 by daisyisabaddog

Hahahahahahaha on the personality comment

No ones ever made that joke before

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:47 - Nov 26 with 4301 viewsfooters

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:20 - Nov 26 by GeoffSentence

Nice to know. But what has that got to do with SPOTY?

Means that the BBC will only select someone from the WHAM community or people what wear turbines or something.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:12 - Nov 26 with 4258 viewschicoazul

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:17 - Nov 25 by Swansea_Blue

I can understand Sterling, Man City were dominant and won the treble. The only reason they have AWJ in there is because otherwise everyone would be English.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:14 - Nov 26 with 4248 viewschicoazul

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:31 - Nov 26 by wellsy700

I think I would go for Stokes too but to leave out our man Peaty from the final list is absolute AIDS of the highest order.

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:40 - Nov 26 with 4199 viewscaught-in-limbo

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 21:07 - Nov 25 by ronnyd

Yep. It's not really about merit any more.

Hamilton, Stokes and Peaty all wore poppies in public for at least a week around Armistice Day so they're all in the running.

Hamilton, despite driving a fossil fuel munching car for a career publicly endorses a vegan diet to save the planet so he's probably still got a good chance despite having surely won it before.

Stokes, the early favourite, has probably lost ground by strangling his wife in public.

It's really up to Adam Peaty to stay clean between now and the voting, but clearly a public change in gender identity won't do his cause any harm.

Can't wait.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:43 - Nov 26 with 4197 viewschicoazul

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:40 - Nov 26 by caught-in-limbo

Yep. It's not really about merit any more.

Hamilton, Stokes and Peaty all wore poppies in public for at least a week around Armistice Day so they're all in the running.

Hamilton, despite driving a fossil fuel munching car for a career publicly endorses a vegan diet to save the planet so he's probably still got a good chance despite having surely won it before.

Stokes, the early favourite, has probably lost ground by strangling his wife in public.

It's really up to Adam Peaty to stay clean between now and the voting, but clearly a public change in gender identity won't do his cause any harm.

Can't wait.

Peaty isnt nominated.

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:47 - Nov 26 with 4185 viewscaught-in-limbo

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:43 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

Peaty isnt nominated.

That's not important.

What's important is that he self-identifies as being nominated. If he does, he's still got a chance.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:59 - Nov 26 with 4158 viewsITFC_Forever

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:43 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

Peaty isnt nominated.

They haven't finished announcing the nominees yet have they?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 11:24 - Nov 26 with 4134 viewschicoazul

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 10:59 - Nov 26 by ITFC_Forever

They haven't finished announcing the nominees yet have they?

Yes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/50471639

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 11:35 - Nov 26 with 4121 viewsITFC_Forever

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 11:24 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

Yes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/50471639

Ah, ok.... thought there was going to be ten nominations for some reason.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 12:35 - Nov 26 with 4070 viewssolemio

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 09:31 - Nov 26 by wellsy700

Stokes? Nonsense, it should be Jack Leach.
SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 12:39 - Nov 26 with 4063 viewsVaughan8

Agreed. Hamilton? Has the fastest car so wins all the time. Boring! haha

Unfortunately as other people have said, swimming is well watched and known about.

Does anyone really care about this anymore?
SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 13:22 - Nov 26 with 3988 viewsElephantintheRoom

Ben Stokes is a kiwi

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

SPOTY 2019 nominations are in and lads i'm raging on 14:20 - Nov 26 with 3937 viewsjontysnut

in 1958 swimmer Ian Black beat both Bobby Charlton and Nat Lofthouse. Trouble now is that swimming is seen by many as an Olympic sport so unless you've got a fistful of gold medals it's hard to get noticed. I agree about Peaty, it's not often you see an individual so dominant in an event and taking it to new places.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024