Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a monumentally big game tonight is 14:20 - Nov 26 with 4898 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Lambert is right. It's another game. It's November. But tonight is actually about a bit more than that.

I am guessing most of us were waiting for the Wycombe bubble to burst after 5 games, 10 games, but you don't get to almost December having lost just one game without being the real deal.

Whilst we are sitting in a very decent position, with games in hand and the ultimate aim is promotion through any route, a defeat to Wycombe puts them 8 points ahead of us and unbelievably as much as ELEVEN clear of third with the same games played, other results depending. When a team could go 11 points clear of the automatic places at the start of December you have to admit they are a bloody good side and the wheels are not coming off. They will be up there come May.

More importantly for them imagine the confidence they will have from winning at Portman Road. They'll know they are not just the best side in the division but the best side by far and that kind of belief is enough to really push them on in the second half of the season when the same teams they have already been much better than come around again.

For us, defeat leaves us with games in hand yes, but in that pack of 7 or 8 teams going for one place. A win however, puts us well clear of maybe 3rd or 4th but at least 5th and 6th and for the next month or so makes it look like 2 of 4 to go up rather than Wycombe and 1 of 8.

Of course Wycombe could lose top players come January, they could have a dip in form, they may slow down a bit, but tonight is a real chance to do them some damage, hand them their first league defeat in nearly 3 months, make them question whether they can live with us and psychologically a win over them tonight could do them a little bit of harm, even if it maybe won't boost our belief too much with us being expected to be in this position.

So for many reasons tonight is just 3 points and ultimately if we lost tonight but then won our next match with Wycombe losing it's as you are. But I just think tonight is one of the biggest games we have had for many years, not least to give the Wycombe juggernaut at least one flat tyre.

I never thought I'd refer to Wycmobe as a juggernaut but you've got to admit they are a bloody good side, who will be incredibly hard to beat and we need Portman Road to be absolutely rocking tonight!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 17:18 - Nov 26 with 1296 viewsBLUEBEAT

Remember when we were 4 points clear with a game in hand?

Happy days.

Poll: W or W

Wycombe at home..... on 18:01 - Nov 26 with 1263 viewsKeaneish

Wycombe at home..... on 16:50 - Nov 26 by Mullet

Quite. An absolutely staggering lot of stuff to take from tonight.

If we can't outdo Wycombe in any context then Lambert won't and shouldn't last here.

Do you want him to fail?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Wycombe at home..... on 18:36 - Nov 26 with 1235 viewsblueconscience

Wycombe at home..... on 14:34 - Nov 26 by SitfcB

It’s what the people wanted.

BCWYWF etc

Keep kidding yourself that our current demise is due to sacking Mick Mack.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 18:48 - Nov 26 with 1224 viewsGuthrum

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:29 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

side note: is it just me who finds it weird that a Wycombe player is also an academy coach at Ipswich? It's probbaly very minor and not that unusual, but just seems odd.

Saves all that Bielsa hiding in the bushes nonsense.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wycombe at home..... on 18:49 - Nov 26 with 1223 viewsMullet

Wycombe at home..... on 18:36 - Nov 26 by blueconscience

Keep kidding yourself that our current demise is due to sacking Mick Mack.

It's a fact. No one else could replicate what he could on such meagre backing it seems, nor could Lambert reverse our fortunes despite having greater investment and time on his side in their comparative starts.

To pretend it was anything other than Evans' terrible hands off approach for so long is bizarre, especially now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Wycombe at home..... on 19:00 - Nov 26 with 1211 viewsblueconscience

Wycombe at home..... on 18:49 - Nov 26 by Mullet

It's a fact. No one else could replicate what he could on such meagre backing it seems, nor could Lambert reverse our fortunes despite having greater investment and time on his side in their comparative starts.

To pretend it was anything other than Evans' terrible hands off approach for so long is bizarre, especially now.

The only fact is our owner is the common denominator in all our manager failures over the last 10 years.

But keep kidding yourselves if you wish.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Wycombe at home..... on 19:11 - Nov 26 with 1206 viewsMullet

Wycombe at home..... on 19:00 - Nov 26 by blueconscience

The only fact is our owner is the common denominator in all our manager failures over the last 10 years.

But keep kidding yourselves if you wish.

And the only common denominator in stopping us going down or even backwards sooner?

Oh.

To pretend fans weren't completely wrong over Mick now is just stubbornness and pride. He is the single best thing of the Evans tenure by a country mile and remains so for years to come it seems.

Wycombe at home..... on 19:30 - Nov 26 with 1184 viewsblueconscience

Wycombe at home..... on 19:11 - Nov 26 by Mullet

And the only common denominator in stopping us going down or even backwards sooner?

Oh.

To pretend fans weren't completely wrong over Mick now is just stubbornness and pride. He is the single best thing of the Evans tenure by a country mile and remains so for years to come it seems.

I am not bothered about whether we were right or wrong regarding Mick, I am more bothered how other managers will cope working under these terrible limitations now and in the future.

If we go up, do you honestly think we will not go straight back down with the lack of the resources and ambition. Even if we yo-yo for a while, it will soon stagnate and we will end up in league one or league two for 15 years

Login to get fewer ads

Wycombe at home..... on 19:32 - Nov 26 with 1181 viewsMullet

Wycombe at home..... on 19:30 - Nov 26 by blueconscience

I am not bothered about whether we were right or wrong regarding Mick, I am more bothered how other managers will cope working under these terrible limitations now and in the future.

If we go up, do you honestly think we will not go straight back down with the lack of the resources and ambition. Even if we yo-yo for a while, it will soon stagnate and we will end up in league one or league two for 15 years

Nope and it was something I was onto years ago. But none of it would have happened had we not turfed Mick out. We'd be far better off and secure. That's indisputable. To pretend otherwise spectacularly misses the point about Evans.

Wycombe at home..... on 19:43 - Nov 26 with 1161 viewsreusersfreekicks

Wycombe at home..... on 19:32 - Nov 26 by Mullet

Nope and it was something I was onto years ago. But none of it would have happened had we not turfed Mick out. We'd be far better off and secure. That's indisputable. To pretend otherwise spectacularly misses the point about Evans.

The thought of having to watch more of MM's anti football, which is what it became in the last couple of years, leaves me cold. As has been said many times it wasn't wrong that he left, it's just what followed is the problem.
For all he has done to improve morale I remain unconvinced by PL's tactical ability.Maybe he needs a better No 2.
Wycombe at home..... on 19:45 - Nov 26 with 1158 viewsMullet

Wycombe at home..... on 19:43 - Nov 26 by reusersfreekicks

The thought of having to watch more of MM's anti football, which is what it became in the last couple of years, leaves me cold. As has been said many times it wasn't wrong that he left, it's just what followed is the problem.
For all he has done to improve morale I remain unconvinced by PL's tactical ability.Maybe he needs a better No 2.

The idea that the football has been "better" in any measure since is a stretch.

Wycombe at home..... on 19:53 - Nov 26 with 1149 viewsblueconscience

Wycombe at home..... on 19:32 - Nov 26 by Mullet

I will respectfully disagree. But for now, enjoy the game on Skybet

Wycombe at home..... on 20:33 - Nov 26 with 1089 viewsKeaneish

Wycombe at home..... on 19:45 - Nov 26 by Mullet

The idea that the football has been "better" in any measure since is a stretch.

Pride before fall right here. It’s clearly been better. The longer you maintain this stance the worse it reads.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Wycombe at home..... on 09:55 - Nov 27 with 1018 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Wycombe at home..... on 20:33 - Nov 26 by Keaneish

Pride before fall right here. It’s clearly been better. The longer you maintain this stance the worse it reads.

Special shoutout for this ‘pride before the fall’ comment from Keanish, about how much better things are now

Posted midway through a nil nil home draw against Wycombe in the third division, during which we managed zero shots on target

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Wycombe at home..... on 10:02 - Nov 27 with 1013 viewsPJH

Wycombe at home..... on 09:55 - Nov 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Special shoutout for this ‘pride before the fall’ comment from Keanish, about how much better things are now

Posted midway through a nil nil home draw against Wycombe in the third division, during which we managed zero shots on target

and tomorrow is, by coincidence, the second anniversary of yet another win at Derby-in The Championship.
Wycombe at home..... on 17:47 - Nov 27 with 978 viewsMullet

Wycombe at home..... on 09:55 - Nov 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It was funnier when he pretended to ignore me frankly. But it staggers me how easy it is to be proven right on everything concerning the last few years.

People really did get it so very wrong, and sewed it deep into their identity didn't they?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024