Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a monumentally big game tonight is 14:20 - Nov 26 with 4863 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Lambert is right. It's another game. It's November. But tonight is actually about a bit more than that.

I am guessing most of us were waiting for the Wycombe bubble to burst after 5 games, 10 games, but you don't get to almost December having lost just one game without being the real deal.

Whilst we are sitting in a very decent position, with games in hand and the ultimate aim is promotion through any route, a defeat to Wycombe puts them 8 points ahead of us and unbelievably as much as ELEVEN clear of third with the same games played, other results depending. When a team could go 11 points clear of the automatic places at the start of December you have to admit they are a bloody good side and the wheels are not coming off. They will be up there come May.

More importantly for them imagine the confidence they will have from winning at Portman Road. They'll know they are not just the best side in the division but the best side by far and that kind of belief is enough to really push them on in the second half of the season when the same teams they have already been much better than come around again.

For us, defeat leaves us with games in hand yes, but in that pack of 7 or 8 teams going for one place. A win however, puts us well clear of maybe 3rd or 4th but at least 5th and 6th and for the next month or so makes it look like 2 of 4 to go up rather than Wycombe and 1 of 8.

Of course Wycombe could lose top players come January, they could have a dip in form, they may slow down a bit, but tonight is a real chance to do them some damage, hand them their first league defeat in nearly 3 months, make them question whether they can live with us and psychologically a win over them tonight could do them a little bit of harm, even if it maybe won't boost our belief too much with us being expected to be in this position.

So for many reasons tonight is just 3 points and ultimately if we lost tonight but then won our next match with Wycombe losing it's as you are. But I just think tonight is one of the biggest games we have had for many years, not least to give the Wycombe juggernaut at least one flat tyre.

I never thought I'd refer to Wycmobe as a juggernaut but you've got to admit they are a bloody good side, who will be incredibly hard to beat and we need Portman Road to be absolutely rocking tonight!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Wycombe at home..... on 14:22 - Nov 26 with 3545 viewsBloots

....in the 3rd Division.

What a time to be alive.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:24 - Nov 26 with 3535 viewsitfcjoe

You just have to look at the league table if you were to input tonight's game as a win, loss or draw to see how big a game it is

Win - 2 points behind leaders, 2 games in hand and everything looks rosy

Lose - 8 points behind, even with the 2 games in hand like you say it starts to look like we will either be battling them for the title or fighting for second place

They are a side that deserves massive respect, just 1 defeat this season and over 2ppg for nearly half a season.

Draw tonight and both sides will be rolling at just over 2 points per game which is well ahead of our rivals generally

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:29 - Nov 26 with 3518 viewsIllinoisblue

side note: is it just me who finds it weird that a Wycombe player is also an academy coach at Ipswich? It's probbaly very minor and not that unusual, but just seems odd.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:32 - Nov 26 with 3496 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:24 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

You just have to look at the league table if you were to input tonight's game as a win, loss or draw to see how big a game it is

Win - 2 points behind leaders, 2 games in hand and everything looks rosy

Lose - 8 points behind, even with the 2 games in hand like you say it starts to look like we will either be battling them for the title or fighting for second place

They are a side that deserves massive respect, just 1 defeat this season and over 2ppg for nearly half a season.

Draw tonight and both sides will be rolling at just over 2 points per game which is well ahead of our rivals generally

They appear to very much be one of those sides full of younger players that people wouldn't have batted an eyelid at, but in 3-4 years time will all be at clubs like Leeds, West Brom, Swansea or Brighton.

A good mix of proper League One old heads and lots of really decent younger players on their way up the divisions.

They remind me of Brentford a bit from 7-8 years ago. Not in style but in terms of suddenly a lot of players who could play much higher up all breaking through at a similar time. With Brentford it looked only a matter of time before they went up and once they did they looked like they'd easily stay there.

Wycombe's biggest issue may be that they are such a small club that they simply can't turn down bids in January. Will be interesting for the owners. They really should refuse to sell anyone regardless of the bids because all of those players will be worth the same in the summer if they don't go up but how many times have we seen smaller clubs right up there until half way through when they have no choice but to let a player on £3k a week, quadruple their salary to move to Boro or Stoke.

Wycombe at home..... on 14:34 - Nov 26 with 3470 viewsSitfcB

Wycombe at home..... on 14:22 - Nov 26 by Bloots

....in the 3rd Division.

What a time to be alive.

It’s what the people wanted.

BCWYWF etc

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:34 - Nov 26 with 3472 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:29 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

side note: is it just me who finds it weird that a Wycombe player is also an academy coach at Ipswich? It's probbaly very minor and not that unusual, but just seems odd.

It's certainly unusual.

He's a Felixstowe lad I believe, his wife is from round here, both families live here and I think he commutes to games. He's also about 35-36 isn't he?

So I guess his spare evenings are in our area and he's got 2 or 3 kids here.

I may be totally wrong but that was my understanding.

Wycombe at home..... on 14:34 - Nov 26 with 3466 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Wycombe at home..... on 14:34 - Nov 26 by SitfcB

It’s what the people wanted.

BCWYWF etc

Well I'd rather be playing a top of the table clash in League One than a bottom of the table clash in the Championship.

Each to their own..... on 14:50 - Nov 26 with 3394 viewsBloots

Wycombe at home..... on 14:34 - Nov 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Well I'd rather be playing a top of the table clash in League One than a bottom of the table clash in the Championship.

.....obviously.

I'd much rather we were getting excited about playing Leeds, West Brom, Forest, Derby etc than thinking a draw at home to Blackpool was a decent result and that a midweek match against Wycombe was "important".

At least we've got a 2nd round FA Cup match to look forward to, as well as a home game against the mighty Bristol Rovers.

Rock n roll.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

Wycombe at home..... on 14:58 - Nov 26 with 3342 viewschicoazul

....in the 3rd Division.

What a time to be alive.

It's a huge game! Hahahaha oh god shoot me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Wycombe at home..... on 14:59 - Nov 26 with 3346 viewsitfcjoe

Not for me, League 1 has already run it's course for me - it's dire and we need to get out of it this year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wycombe at home..... on 15:01 - Nov 26 with 3316 viewshomer_123

Really? Honestly?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wycombe at home..... on 15:05 - Nov 26 with 3300 viewsKieran_Knows

Wycombe at home..... on 14:59 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Not for me, League 1 has already run it's course for me - it's dire and we need to get out of it this year

I can't quite believe just how sh*te the standard is. Which in a way worries me for when we get back to the Championship as I can see sides of decent quality easily sticking 2/3 past us again most weeks.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Each to their own..... on 15:05 - Nov 26 with 3293 viewsJ2BLUE

Each to their own..... on 14:50 - Nov 26 by Bloots

.....obviously.

I'd much rather we were getting excited about playing Leeds, West Brom, Forest, Derby etc than thinking a draw at home to Blackpool was a decent result and that a midweek match against Wycombe was "important".

At least we've got a 2nd round FA Cup match to look forward to, as well as a home game against the mighty Bristol Rovers.

Rock n roll.

Try and let yourself enjoy it. We'll be back to Championship lower mid table also rans soon enough.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Each to their own..... on 15:07 - Nov 26 with 3284 viewsKieran_Knows

Each to their own..... on 15:05 - Nov 26 by J2BLUE

Try and let yourself enjoy it. We'll be back to Championship lower mid table also rans soon enough.

Why enjoy a win when you can still pine for an ex ex manager??

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 15:07 - Nov 26 with 3286 viewsunstableblue

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:32 - Nov 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

They appear to very much be one of those sides full of younger players that people wouldn't have batted an eyelid at, but in 3-4 years time will all be at clubs like Leeds, West Brom, Swansea or Brighton.

A good mix of proper League One old heads and lots of really decent younger players on their way up the divisions.

They remind me of Brentford a bit from 7-8 years ago. Not in style but in terms of suddenly a lot of players who could play much higher up all breaking through at a similar time. With Brentford it looked only a matter of time before they went up and once they did they looked like they'd easily stay there.

Wycombe's biggest issue may be that they are such a small club that they simply can't turn down bids in January. Will be interesting for the owners. They really should refuse to sell anyone regardless of the bids because all of those players will be worth the same in the summer if they don't go up but how many times have we seen smaller clubs right up there until half way through when they have no choice but to let a player on £3k a week, quadruple their salary to move to Boro or Stoke.

I've watched some Wycombe extended highlights and they look to play good on the floor football, and are dynamic.

Could be a struggle for us tonight; as per Rotherham, who also moved the ball around well.

I do think the rest may be a benefit tonight. Wycombe have played a lot of football.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Each to their own..... on 15:17 - Nov 26 with 3232 viewsBiGDonnie

Each to their own..... on 15:07 - Nov 26 by Kieran_Knows

Why enjoy a win when you can still pine for an ex ex manager??

Bring back George!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Wycombe at home..... on 15:17 - Nov 26 with 3232 viewsunstableblue

....in the 3rd Division.

What a time to be alive.

Well I for one am really looking forward to tonight... and I'm expecting an exciting night under the lights.

I also thought Saturday's 3rd division game was really entertaining and worth the ticket price.

I think The Wolf and Downes are beginning to grow into players we can build a successful team around in the Championship if promoted, add in KVY, El Mizouni, Dozzell and it is exciting times.

If in your cynical comment that you're harping back to League Two games that were dross, had limited passing, and with little possession or attacking intent, and were being played in front of a swindling circa 14k crowd then - YAY, CONGRATULATIONS!!

There are 21,000 going tonight, so would suggest quite a few Town fans are finding this a relatively 'good time'.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 15:25 - Nov 26 with 3211 viewsdavblue

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:34 - Nov 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It's certainly unusual.

He's a Felixstowe lad I believe, his wife is from round here, both families live here and I think he commutes to games. He's also about 35-36 isn't he?

So I guess his spare evenings are in our area and he's got 2 or 3 kids here.

I may be totally wrong but that was my understanding.

you are right, he's doing the coaching here for his coaching badges as he's looking to get into it in the future potentially.
Wycombe at home..... on 15:40 - Nov 26 with 3145 viewshomer_123

Wycombe at home..... on 15:05 - Nov 26 by Kieran_Knows

I can't quite believe just how sh*te the standard is. Which in a way worries me for when we get back to the Championship as I can see sides of decent quality easily sticking 2/3 past us again most weeks.

You'd have to include us in that. What I mean is, we've hardly pulled up trees. We really haven't played all that well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wycombe at home..... on 15:48 - Nov 26 with 3105 viewsunstableblue

Wycombe at home..... on 14:59 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Really don't agree Joe, that Blackpool game was good to watch on Saturday. And we passed well at times, just lacked enough bodies forward.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed a number of 'halves' - that MK Dons first was a joy to watch.

I also don't think the standard is dire.

Atmosphere also better. And it just feels like its worth watching Town; whereas it has been so dire at PR for so many years.

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 16:00 - Nov 26 with 3076 viewsGarv

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 14:29 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

Yeah I don’t get that at all.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 16:08 - Nov 26 with 3048 viewscaught-in-limbo

It's a big game but really only from a psychological point of view. I appreciate PL's efforts to publicly downplay it a bit, though I'm sure it won't be downplayed in the dressing room.

Spending 18 (mainly bleak) years in the Championship followed by relegation to L1 is going to have a psychological effect on the club, in particular on the fans.

Having started well results-wise without really impressing too much on the field has perhaps left us fans a bit uncertain of the year ahead. Like you said, we're even bigging-up the juggernaut that is Wycombe Wanderers!

Wycombe, therefore, could really do a job on our psyche tonight if things don't go right.

Yes, "we need Portman Road to be absolutely rocking tonight". We need to lift the team -irrespective of the scoreline - rather than expect PL or the team to lift us fans. It's obvious, our travelling fans understand it and that's why our away results are by far and away the best in the league.

COYB

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Wycombe at home..... on 16:50 - Nov 26 with 2876 viewsMullet

....in the 3rd Division.

What a time to be alive.

Quite. An absolutely staggering lot of stuff to take from tonight.

If we can't outdo Wycombe in any context then Lambert won't and shouldn't last here.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 16:57 - Nov 26 with 2858 viewsLankHenners

I appreciate in the context of where we are at the moment it's a 'big' game but people need
to stop using grandiose language and talking as if this is a Championship playoff match.

Treat tonight with the right respect of course like any other game but we need to get this sh!t over and done with then get back to be being an established Champ level club, though I haven't really seen enough from Lambert to be confident he can do that for us.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 17:06 - Nov 26 with 2814 viewsPJH

What a monumentally big game tonight is on 16:57 - Nov 26 by LankHenners

I appreciate in the context of where we are at the moment it's a 'big' game but people need
to stop using grandiose language and talking as if this is a Championship playoff match.

Treat tonight with the right respect of course like any other game but we need to get this sh!t over and done with then get back to be being an established Champ level club, though I haven't really seen enough from Lambert to be confident he can do that for us.

I agree that it would be a monumentally big game if it was in the last half dozen games of the season with all teams in their existing positions and the difference in points and games to play was the same but all it is at the moment is a game that we could do with winning.

The OP reads as though Wycombe get presented with the third division trophy tonight if they win although Derby did win the Championship a couple of times at about this time of year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024