Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not good enough all round was it? 21:55 - Nov 26 with 3461 viewsMullet

If that's our competition for the title, we need to improve rapidly. Wilson seemed the pick of the defenders for doing so little wrong. Huws and Nolan nowhere near threatening enough. Strikers isolated and not a sniff of testing their keeper fair too often thanks to lumping it.

Is Norwood even fit? To miss from there is bad enough, but I have some sympathy. We have no defined shape, style or XI and it shows. The lack of cohesion and clarity seems to bleed into the smallest of stuff from passing into bunches on the sidelines to overlapping runs.

As bad as the ref was, there was no sense of fight and togetherness again in the face of his decisions. Thank Christ for Holy because he's dug Chambers out from another slaughtering, albeit it was Donacien who caused the mayhem. Exactly what you want from any keeper, especially when he's not had the best protection all game.

Portsmouth winning seems to at least keep everything stable below us, albeit the games in hand are slowly being eroded.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not good enough all round was it? on 21:58 - Nov 26 with 3021 viewsIllinoisblue

agree with all of that. Maybe at some point, around March or April, we'll see the fruits of this constant rotation. Right now it's hard to see what it achieves other then confusion and disjointed displays. All the headlines will be about the ref, but the real story is our inability to create chances.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:03 - Nov 26 with 2937 viewsVaughan8

Norwood missed loads of easychances for tranmere last season. He’s just a bit random.

Too much rotation, changing formation all the time. Just doesnt seem right to me.

Least we rested our players for these games. It really worked.......

Lambert can be all sarcy re the fa cup win, well these two games haven’t worked out well Have They?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 22:07]
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:05 - Nov 26 with 2904 viewsMullet

Not good enough all round was it? on 21:58 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

agree with all of that. Maybe at some point, around March or April, we'll see the fruits of this constant rotation. Right now it's hard to see what it achieves other then confusion and disjointed displays. All the headlines will be about the ref, but the real story is our inability to create chances.

I can see the sense in terms of fitness, and perhaps Saturday being about keeping Norwood safe from his own tenacity and ego. But then he plays 3 CBs and puts Toto on the bench, so you wonder if the logic only applies to certain players.

I'm struggling to find players who have improved upon last season, who aren't youngsters on a faster curve. Jackson has had his heroics, but it's hard to find many others. Huws, Judge, Rowe, Edwards, Toto, should all look the business at this level so for none of them to is frustrating.

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:06 - Nov 26 with 2877 viewsMullet

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:03 - Nov 26 by Vaughan8

Norwood missed loads of easychances for tranmere last season. He’s just a bit random.

Too much rotation, changing formation all the time. Just doesnt seem right to me.

Least we rested our players for these games. It really worked.......

Lambert can be all sarcy re the fa cup win, well these two games haven’t worked out well Have They?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 22:07]

Any closer to the net he'd have looked like a tuna bundling that one home! Was gutting to see it spin off him and out.

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:07 - Nov 26 with 2846 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Our lack of mobility is our biggest problem I think. Its wasn't so much 'give n go' that was going on, more like 'give and then stand still until you get the ball back in a worse position than the one you started in'.

Jackson needs to be playing off the shoulder of the last defender, didn't see him take up that position often enough.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:10 - Nov 26 with 2785 viewspatrickswell

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:07 - Nov 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Our lack of mobility is our biggest problem I think. Its wasn't so much 'give n go' that was going on, more like 'give and then stand still until you get the ball back in a worse position than the one you started in'.

Jackson needs to be playing off the shoulder of the last defender, didn't see him take up that position often enough.

Mention of a lack of mobility makes me wonder whether the master plan is simply, Get Freddie Sears Fit.
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:14 - Nov 26 with 2742 viewshaynes_toe1

Not seen the game so fair to take what I say with a pinch of salt...

But I maintain that Lambert has struggled with the actual football stuff since he got here, and it doesnt look like changing. A squad which is a cut above anything else in this division and barely have we actually looked a comfortable, dominant team in this league.

Excessive rotation, mixed systems to suit the opposition rather than our own superior players, too much long ball.

However, this league is so poor and devoid of quality I think we will get automatically promoted regardless. But going on everything so far, next season in the championship would be soul destroying - much like it was with him last season
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:15 - Nov 26 with 2723 viewsFunge

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:05 - Nov 26 by Mullet

I can see the sense in terms of fitness, and perhaps Saturday being about keeping Norwood safe from his own tenacity and ego. But then he plays 3 CBs and puts Toto on the bench, so you wonder if the logic only applies to certain players.

I'm struggling to find players who have improved upon last season, who aren't youngsters on a faster curve. Jackson has had his heroics, but it's hard to find many others. Huws, Judge, Rowe, Edwards, Toto, should all look the business at this level so for none of them to is frustrating.

'I'm struggling to find players who have improved upon last season, who aren't youngsters on a faster curve. Jackson has had his heroics, but it's hard to find many others. Huws, Judge, Rowe, Edwards, Toto, should all look the business at this level so for none of them to is frustrating'

This is a very good point. Huws and Judge should be established Champ players - to see them so ineffectual, repeatedly, against limited opposition is a concern. Nolan is teeth-gratingly inconsistent too.

(Nsiala is utterly appalling, however)...

Wycombe were sh1thouses, like Blackpool/ Accrington/ Wimbledon before them - you would think at some point the penny would drop, and we would recognise that we need to adjust to allow for this - we're 3.5 months into this season, and don't know how to deal with it.

Fair play to Wycombe tho, they've got a gameplan that seems to work against the established teams in this league. People thinking they'll run out of steam will probably end up surprised.
Login to get fewer ads

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:17 - Nov 26 with 2632 viewsonlymehere

Totally agree with all that barely a shot on target as well,I thought our midfield could do a job in the championship but n recent weeks I was way off the mark with that comment.
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:17 - Nov 26 with 2632 viewsGuthrum

We were missing two (IMO) key players tonight: Downes and Vincent-Young.

Both have missed four League games this season so far (the latter, of course, did not arrive until late August). In the case of both players, we have won only one out of those, with two and one losses respectively.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:19 - Nov 26 with 2607 viewsJDB23

Horrendous ref aside, we weren't very good were we? 0 shots on target with 65% possession is abysmal. Teams have now worked out our main attacking threat has come from the counter attack, usually KVY which makes his absence felt even more. When teams put 10 men behind the ball and let us play it around we are clueless. Expect to see a lot more of this and I'm not confident Lambert knows how to set us up to deal with it.
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:21 - Nov 26 with 2565 viewsMoriarty

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:05 - Nov 26 by Mullet

If we assess the manager on one simple criteria, namely is he getting the most out of the players available, how would we assess him? What worries me is your observation concerning cohesion etc.

20K plus at home to Wycombe. With respect to them, we should be looking to devour them. Ref seems to have been a dud but we really should be controlling our own destiny at PR.

fka omuircheartaigh

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:23 - Nov 26 with 2545 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:17 - Nov 26 by Guthrum

We were missing two (IMO) key players tonight: Downes and Vincent-Young.

Both have missed four League games this season so far (the latter, of course, did not arrive until late August). In the case of both players, we have won only one out of those, with two and one losses respectively.

Then if two missing players affects us in that way, we simply aren't good enough as a squad.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:27 - Nov 26 with 2509 viewsGuthrum

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:23 - Nov 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Then if two missing players affects us in that way, we simply aren't good enough as a squad.

But what would Wycombe be without Akinfenwa? Or Peterborough sans Toney and Eisa?

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:32 - Nov 26 with 2462 viewsDarth_Koont

Good summary.

On one hand there’s nothing to fear in this division but on the other there doesn’t seem to be any way we’re going to frighten teams either.

What does worry me is that we’re not as solid a team as Wycombe so it’ll be perfectly understandable if they and another limited but well-organised team take the automatic places.

We really need to step it up if we’re going to avoid disappointment this season.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:41 - Nov 26 with 2394 viewsSharkey

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:27 - Nov 26 by Guthrum

But what would Wycombe be without Akinfenwa? Or Peterborough sans Toney and Eisa?

I don’t know. But Kent was player of the year at Colchester, most categories, ahead of KVY, and went for at least as much money.
Not good enough all round was it? on 22:49 - Nov 26 with 2330 viewsjudespiveyg

Meh, thought we were unlucky not to win, teams obviously set up to draw at our place which probably explains why our away form is better. Somehow I don't think hoof it to Akinfenwa and hope it bounces off him will work all season. Had the linesman decided to not make the wrong decision we'd have cruised to victory after going a goal up.

Defence was fine other than maybe Donacien who needs to be more adventurous at wing back, Skuse was too quiet, Huws still doesn't look fit. Nolan looked okay second half. Jackson and Norwood linked nicely first half.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Not good enough all round was it? on 23:05 - Nov 26 with 2275 viewsmarchy

I'd hate to see us stoop to it, but particularly in the last few games I'm getting increasingly convinced that the way out of this division is just to spend half the match flinging ourselves over in (or even just near) the box and clearing up on penalties.
Not good enough all round was it? on 23:05 - Nov 26 with 2270 viewsGuthrum

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:41 - Nov 26 by Sharkey

I don’t know. But Kent was player of the year at Colchester, most categories, ahead of KVY, and went for at least as much money.

Tho Peterborough have conceded nearly twice as many goals as us.

Not good enough all round was it? on 17:42 - Nov 27 with 2003 viewsMullet

Not good enough all round was it? on 22:15 - Nov 26 by Funge

'I'm struggling to find players who have improved upon last season, who aren't youngsters on a faster curve. Jackson has had his heroics, but it's hard to find many others. Huws, Judge, Rowe, Edwards, Toto, should all look the business at this level so for none of them to is frustrating'

This is a very good point. Huws and Judge should be established Champ players - to see them so ineffectual, repeatedly, against limited opposition is a concern. Nolan is teeth-gratingly inconsistent too.

(Nsiala is utterly appalling, however)...

Wycombe were sh1thouses, like Blackpool/ Accrington/ Wimbledon before them - you would think at some point the penny would drop, and we would recognise that we need to adjust to allow for this - we're 3.5 months into this season, and don't know how to deal with it.

Fair play to Wycombe tho, they've got a gameplan that seems to work against the established teams in this league. People thinking they'll run out of steam will probably end up surprised.

Their improvement is staggering, they barely survived last season and only did thanks to a late run. To think that they were dropping into League 2 with a month to go, and we were the worst side in ITFC history and already relegated is such a leveller is frankly terrifying.

As for our players, it suggests something is fundamentally wrong with how we utilise them. Even if we accept Hurst was utterly toxic and inept and you take away his judgement, Lambert hasn't found a way to get the most out of what he's got.

This might be the inevitable blip I was told wasn't coming weeks ago, but if it doesn't translate into improvements soon in terms of performances then alarm bells should ring somewhere along the line. We're too big of a squad as it is. We won't be able to buy a fix in January.

Not good enough all round was it? on 18:06 - Nov 27 with 1952 viewsNo9

Back to the bad old days of poor home form and dropped points at PR
Not good enough all round was it? on 18:08 - Nov 27 with 1946 viewsOsborneOneNil

Not good enough all round was it? on 17:42 - Nov 27 by Mullet

Their improvement is staggering, they barely survived last season and only did thanks to a late run. To think that they were dropping into League 2 with a month to go, and we were the worst side in ITFC history and already relegated is such a leveller is frankly terrifying.

As for our players, it suggests something is fundamentally wrong with how we utilise them. Even if we accept Hurst was utterly toxic and inept and you take away his judgement, Lambert hasn't found a way to get the most out of what he's got.

This might be the inevitable blip I was told wasn't coming weeks ago, but if it doesn't translate into improvements soon in terms of performances then alarm bells should ring somewhere along the line. We're too big of a squad as it is. We won't be able to buy a fix in January.

Bit dramatic, Mullet.

So if our perfectly good goal goes in, the game changes, doesn't it? They come out more, we (potentially) have more joy in the attacking sense. We don't have to spend the whole game breaking down 10 men. It's a bit like England in the last Euro's. A 'lesser' oppo would sit back, and England had no idea of how to break it down.

I will agree on something though, whilst we sit in the top 2, only a couple of defeats all season, we do not look too impressive. I recall the Southampton side, and even Norwich, who romped this league. They looked quality, they played in a lovely attacking way, a way which you knew would serve them well once they went up. If we went up now, we'd struggle, badly.

In my opinion.
Not good enough all round was it? on 19:00 - Nov 27 with 1880 viewsRadlett_blue

Not good enough all round was it? on 18:08 - Nov 27 by OsborneOneNil

Bit dramatic, Mullet.

So if our perfectly good goal goes in, the game changes, doesn't it? They come out more, we (potentially) have more joy in the attacking sense. We don't have to spend the whole game breaking down 10 men. It's a bit like England in the last Euro's. A 'lesser' oppo would sit back, and England had no idea of how to break it down.

I will agree on something though, whilst we sit in the top 2, only a couple of defeats all season, we do not look too impressive. I recall the Southampton side, and even Norwich, who romped this league. They looked quality, they played in a lovely attacking way, a way which you knew would serve them well once they went up. If we went up now, we'd struggle, badly.

In my opinion.

Without looking convincing, we're still picking up the 2pts/game necessary for promotion so we shouldn't be screaming too much after some of the gloomy predictions that we'd only be mid table. I would hope for some improvement, but there are few signs of a more settled starting XI, formation & pattern of play - it all seems too random. Losing one of our brighter players is a big blow & not sure the long term injured will help us when they return - if anything, Lambert's selections might become random.
Totally agree that we look nothing like a Norwich or Southampton, prepared for successive promotions. If we maintain this form, next season will be a grim struggle.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Not good enough all round was it? on 21:00 - Nov 27 with 1801 viewspeterleeblue

Not good enough all round was it? on 19:00 - Nov 27 by Radlett_blue

Without looking convincing, we're still picking up the 2pts/game necessary for promotion so we shouldn't be screaming too much after some of the gloomy predictions that we'd only be mid table. I would hope for some improvement, but there are few signs of a more settled starting XI, formation & pattern of play - it all seems too random. Losing one of our brighter players is a big blow & not sure the long term injured will help us when they return - if anything, Lambert's selections might become random.
Totally agree that we look nothing like a Norwich or Southampton, prepared for successive promotions. If we maintain this form, next season will be a grim struggle.

I'm not so sure.

I see a lot of League 1 up at Sunderland.

There really is not a lot of quality from any team consistently
The games are one and lost by moments of quality followed by more dirge.
Its just a scrap week after week. The key will be the adjustment if promotion is achieved.
Not good enough all round was it? on 21:03 - Nov 27 with 1794 viewstextbackup

Not good enough all round was it? on 21:00 - Nov 27 by peterleeblue

I'm not so sure.

I see a lot of League 1 up at Sunderland.

There really is not a lot of quality from any team consistently
The games are one and lost by moments of quality followed by more dirge.
Its just a scrap week after week. The key will be the adjustment if promotion is achieved.

peter lee.....

sure I recognise that name.....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024