Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very frustrating on many levels 22:40 - Nov 26 with 2528 viewsSomethingBlue

Firstly, fair play to Wycombe. That's what they are, and what we knew they would be, and it was very effective. Not sure I've seen a team get players around the ball that quickly in some time. Squeezed space superbly and knew their jobs inside out. It was very similar to watching one of Boothroyd's Watford teams last decade; wouldn't rule out similar success, at least in this division, on that evidence.

ITFC-wise, I've seen much better teams than this flounder against sides like that. But I think it's becoming clear that we have issues at home, and we need to sort them out if we're to stay in the top two. Think we missed Downes in there today to win a few more second balls in midfield but the bottom line is we don't move the ball on quickly enough and — for a team with the players we have — still don't really offer enough in an attacking sense. Out wide seems like the biggest issue but I think the strikers need some proper competition too. We didn't do enough tonight even though you couldn't say we were poor.

All that said: if the Chambers/OG goal counts then we all come out saying that we "found a way" to beat tough opponents and what a good sign that is, because that's exactly how it works. The officiating was absolutely diabolical there, from first minute to last, and it's no surprise that some very big decisions were fc8ked up royally. Possibly the worst all-round refereeing display I've seen in years. But as far as I can tell it's happening most weeks and it won't get better any time soon, so the only answer for us is to get smarter — and quickly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:47 - Nov 26 with 2474 viewsGuthrum

We have an enormous problem out wide. We don't have enough good, on form wide players to do 4-4-2 properly (with FBs and wingers). Plus we're messing about with wing-backs to accommodate all our supposedly good ACMs, which affects the defence.

Our forwards aren't getting the service and we become vulnerable to crosses ourselves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:49 - Nov 26 with 2457 viewsIllinoisblue

They are very well organized. Every time we got to their box they ALWAYS had 8 or 9 players back and crowded us out. The lack of invention from our midfield is a big problem. Huws not at it. Nolan not much better. Edwards needs to be shipped out. Simply not good enough.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:54 - Nov 26 with 2412 viewspointofblue

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:49 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

They are very well organized. Every time we got to their box they ALWAYS had 8 or 9 players back and crowded us out. The lack of invention from our midfield is a big problem. Huws not at it. Nolan not much better. Edwards needs to be shipped out. Simply not good enough.

I think part of the issue is we don't get enough players forward. I spotted this on Saturday as well - we go on the attack and the defensive players out number the attacking players. Of course we're going to find it difficult when it's a case of 3 v 9 in the penalty area. We need to get more players forward; basically the midfield need to offer more in way of support.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:54 - Nov 26 with 2413 viewsIllinoisblue

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:47 - Nov 26 by Guthrum

We have an enormous problem out wide. We don't have enough good, on form wide players to do 4-4-2 properly (with FBs and wingers). Plus we're messing about with wing-backs to accommodate all our supposedly good ACMs, which affects the defence.

Our forwards aren't getting the service and we become vulnerable to crosses ourselves.

Garbutt’s crosses were abysmal tonight. Wasted at least three free kicks. If we’re not going to create from open play then set pieces are ever more important.

62 - 78 - 81

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:55 - Nov 26 with 2409 viewsDubtractor

I was reminded of a Boothroyd team too. Literally no attempt to play any football at all - almost all their attacking play came from their keeper's kicks.

A few on here think our squad should stroll this division, but for me there are still some that are not good enough. Huws and Nolan tonight, in the more forward midfield roles, offered almost nothing. Maybe Huws is struggling to get his sharpness after so long out, but was doing really simple things badly. I've banged on a few times on Nolan, but I simply don't think he is very good.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:58 - Nov 26 with 2383 viewsSomethingBlue

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:55 - Nov 26 by Dubtractor

I was reminded of a Boothroyd team too. Literally no attempt to play any football at all - almost all their attacking play came from their keeper's kicks.

A few on here think our squad should stroll this division, but for me there are still some that are not good enough. Huws and Nolan tonight, in the more forward midfield roles, offered almost nothing. Maybe Huws is struggling to get his sharpness after so long out, but was doing really simple things badly. I've banged on a few times on Nolan, but I simply don't think he is very good.

Needed more from Nolan in particular tonight, I agree — especially a little more bravery in terms of getting into the box as that's one of his strong points at his best. Maybe he felt a little inhibited by having Huws, rather than Downes, in there, I dunno.

Might go down as a good point come the end of the season — that pen save does keep top spot in our hands and creates some daylight between us and third — so I'm not going to fret just yet. But tonight was annoying on most levels.

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:59 - Nov 26 with 2368 viewsDubtractor

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:58 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

Needed more from Nolan in particular tonight, I agree — especially a little more bravery in terms of getting into the box as that's one of his strong points at his best. Maybe he felt a little inhibited by having Huws, rather than Downes, in there, I dunno.

Might go down as a good point come the end of the season — that pen save does keep top spot in our hands and creates some daylight between us and third — so I'm not going to fret just yet. But tonight was annoying on most levels.

I'm not fretting too much, 4 points above 3rd with a game in hand is hardly a disaster is it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:04 - Nov 26 with 2317 viewsIllinoisblue

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:59 - Nov 26 by Dubtractor

I'm not fretting too much, 4 points above 3rd with a game in hand is hardly a disaster is it?

Concern is we’ll get caught up in FA Cup games (and poss replay) and Mickey Mouse Trophy and before you know it, we’ll be in 5th and playing catch up.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:04 - Nov 26 with 2317 viewspointofblue

The gutting thing is it should be six above third with a game in hand and two behind first with two games in hand. They were there for the taking and, other than the 'goal' we couldn't muster a shot on target against them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:05 - Nov 26 with 2307 viewsSomethingBlue

Quite — I don't see a lot in this division that bothers me and we are still well on track. But we do need to get a little smarter if we aren't to make life hard for ourselves.

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:05 - Nov 26 with 2305 viewsITFC_Forever

Absolutely they were Watford under Boothroyd. Not a lot of quality, but effective at what they do and masters of the dark arts.

I know a number of posters on here have said we are too meek and mild in these situations and they are dead right..... when the opposition are getting in the officials ear, step in and stop it / do the same.

As for the disallowed goal, we’re all pretty unanimous as to what a ridiculous decision it was...but we allowed it to affect us too much.
In the second half, we were too passive and didn’t do enough to seriously threaten them. When we got set-pieces in the last third, they were ruined by poor delivery.

We are now three games in the league at home without a win, and that needs to be rectified ASAP.
We still look like a side with no defined strategy as to how we are going to win matches and are reliant on individuals pulling something out of the bag.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:07 - Nov 26 with 2283 viewsJakeITFC

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:58 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

Think that’s just it - Nolan doesn’t make that gamble often enough (either with the pass, the run without the ball or the dribble) and so it’s always a safety first recycle of possession.

It’s been striking to me how much better we’ve looked when Dobra and El Mizouni have been involved this year (the Lincoln cup replay being the latest example) because they look to break the lines. Bishop would be a revelation in this side.
Very frustrating on many levels on 23:11 - Nov 26 with 2268 viewsLankHenners

Very frustrating on many levels on 22:54 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

Garbutt’s crosses were abysmal tonight. Wasted at least three free kicks. If we’re not going to create from open play then set pieces are ever more important.

Skuse, uncharacteristically, went ape sh!t at him when he shot horribly wide from a great crossing position on a free kick. Chambers gave him an earful as well - clearly went against the agreed plan, went for glory and fcked it.

The balls into the box were sh!te all night, the only good one being the one Jackson flashed across goal and Norwood somehow poked it wide off his shoulder. Edwards was wasteful when he came on as well, hitting crosses far too long or straight into the first defender.

Agree with the overall sentiment that that was a 'find a way to win' game but it's a real problem that Lambert can't get a team with this many quality individuals (relative to the league they're in) firing properly and creating chances. Everyone wants an extra touch, Jackson takes about 5 attempts to control the ball when it's played into his feet, Norwood does a great nuisance job but isn't really the hold up type and no-one gets near him quickly enough to make it stick anyway, our wide players can't cross a ball, Huws and Nolan tap it around nicely but rarely with any incision and then the next player hesitates and we have to start again. Other than Norwood's shocker and the disallowed goal, the only other 'created' chance was Keane's chest trap and volley from Holy's kick.

Generally not enough composure and confidence with the ball in the final third, evidenced by some wild shots from decent positions, which comes from a lack of chemistry and really knowing what the plan is when the ball gets into those positions.

Still believe we have enough to go up but have a big concern in the back of my head that we'll really struggle next season if we carry on like this. The rotation policy may keep players fresh come the end of the season but it will count for (almost) nothing if the play is as patternless and incohesive as this.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:51 - Nov 26 with 2190 viewsitfcjoe

3 centre backs and Skuse sitting in front of them to deal with 1 striker - that’s why we can’t move the ball quickly because too many players are out of the game in an attacking sense and outnumbered

Nolan way too safe a player for me in that 8.5 role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:53 - Nov 26 with 2171 viewssparks

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:07 - Nov 26 by JakeITFC

Think that’s just it - Nolan doesn’t make that gamble often enough (either with the pass, the run without the ball or the dribble) and so it’s always a safety first recycle of possession.

It’s been striking to me how much better we’ve looked when Dobra and El Mizouni have been involved this year (the Lincoln cup replay being the latest example) because they look to break the lines. Bishop would be a revelation in this side.

I was thinking this at the weekend. Nolan just doesnt do anythign to hurt the opposition. Picks it up in good positions, then looks after it and moves it on. You need your attacking midfielder, when he is found in a good attacking spot, to attack. Beat a man, have a shot, play a through ball. He doesnt do any of those things.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Very frustrating on many levels on 00:16 - Nov 27 with 2104 viewsIllinoisblue

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:07 - Nov 26 by JakeITFC

Ah, the Bish. The next great thing from FIVE years ago. My word he’s been cursed with injuries. Imagine getting him back. Sears too. Would make the second half of the season a lot more enjoyable.

62 - 78 - 81

Very frustrating on many levels on 02:07 - Nov 27 with 2003 viewsTractorWood

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:51 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

3 centre backs and Skuse sitting in front of them to deal with 1 striker - that’s why we can’t move the ball quickly because too many players are out of the game in an attacking sense and outnumbered

Nolan way too safe a player for me in that 8.5 role

Thought Nolan played well against Blackpool. Albeit most of his good work was defensive. In the same game I thought Rowe's deliveries were exceptionally poor. Seems final ball was poor last night too.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Very frustrating on many levels on 04:09 - Nov 27 with 1931 viewsIllinoisblue

Very frustrating on many levels on 23:11 - Nov 26 by LankHenners

Skuse, uncharacteristically, went ape sh!t at him when he shot horribly wide from a great crossing position on a free kick. Chambers gave him an earful as well - clearly went against the agreed plan, went for glory and fcked it.

The balls into the box were sh!te all night, the only good one being the one Jackson flashed across goal and Norwood somehow poked it wide off his shoulder. Edwards was wasteful when he came on as well, hitting crosses far too long or straight into the first defender.

Agree with the overall sentiment that that was a 'find a way to win' game but it's a real problem that Lambert can't get a team with this many quality individuals (relative to the league they're in) firing properly and creating chances. Everyone wants an extra touch, Jackson takes about 5 attempts to control the ball when it's played into his feet, Norwood does a great nuisance job but isn't really the hold up type and no-one gets near him quickly enough to make it stick anyway, our wide players can't cross a ball, Huws and Nolan tap it around nicely but rarely with any incision and then the next player hesitates and we have to start again. Other than Norwood's shocker and the disallowed goal, the only other 'created' chance was Keane's chest trap and volley from Holy's kick.

Generally not enough composure and confidence with the ball in the final third, evidenced by some wild shots from decent positions, which comes from a lack of chemistry and really knowing what the plan is when the ball gets into those positions.

Still believe we have enough to go up but have a big concern in the back of my head that we'll really struggle next season if we carry on like this. The rotation policy may keep players fresh come the end of the season but it will count for (almost) nothing if the play is as patternless and incohesive as this.

I wasn’t quite sure what was gained by having Skuse stand next to Garbutt at every free kick when it’s obvious Garbutt is going to take. Why not have Skuse as an extra body in the box?

The lack of invention from midfield is painful to see. We always seem to opt for the safe pass sideways or backwards. Where’s the drive, the thrust, the have-a-go attitude?

62 - 78 - 81

Very frustrating on many levels on 07:45 - Nov 27 with 1601 viewsSteve_M

On the home form point, I thought we started with more purpose and cohesion than on Saturday. Apart from about 15 minutes from 25 minutes in the first half was decent. The second half on the other hand was very poor, little threat, good positions wasted and substitutions too late to really stretch the game.

Home form isn't just an issue for this season either, it's a long running problem but this club is never going to improve until the home form does - and we still only have two more league games this year at PR.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Very frustrating on many levels on 07:51 - Nov 27 with 1549 viewsKeaneish

I think you highlighted their main strength there. They got bodies between the ball and the goal well. Nolan looked up to have a shot at one point and I counted 6 players within a 20 yard square obscuring his vision. They work hard but if Akinfenwa gets injured, they’ll fall away. He’s the only outlet they really had and not particularly menacing at that.

Donacien despite his improved performances typirifes the issues we have in the wide areas. Too many times Wolfenden or Nolan looked for a give and go to put him away in the channel but he stayed rooted looking for a short pass which slows us down. Even a run takes a man away to give us options.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024