Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. 08:47 - Nov 29 with 3073 viewscarlisleaway

This maybe is what prevents us for an automatic promotion place. Lack of shots on target through the whole team is a worry, cannot see Evans paying out for another striker in January. We will have Roberts, Jackson, Norwood, Sears and Folami.......but who would you put your money on getting 20 goals this year unless we start putting away these half chances ....Not enough quality.
Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:52 - Nov 29 with 2733 viewsdavblue

I think you need to look at other things.

We don't create alot of chances and have to work hard to get chance, that's more of an issue in my opinion. If we are to persist with the way we are playing then we need a proper target man as we don't have one at the club.
Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:53 - Nov 29 with 2724 viewsGuthrum

Two things on that: 1) We are in the automatic promotion spots, our niggardly defence being as important as goalscoring in that; and 2) If they're all chipping in (which they are), we don't need one man to score twenty, just 80 or so between the whole team.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2019 8:54]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:57 - Nov 29 with 2711 viewsGeoffSentence

I am not sure that lack of goal power is the problem.

Only five teams have scored more than us.

Wycombe, in first place, have scored one more but played two games more.

Coventry in fifth have scored score four fewer in two games more.

Also we are in an automatic promotion spot.

It would be nice to score a few more goals, granted, but it is not quite the problem that you are making out.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:00 - Nov 29 with 2695 viewsKeaneish

I don't buy this argument at all. Its easy to look at it under a microscope after a couple of games but across the whole season, this hasn't been an issue. I think the trouble with some pundits is they say what they see which is only a fraction of the games.If they're travelling up and down the country each weekend you'll see a different story.

Wycombe did well at getting bodies between the ball and the goal and our rotation policy is definitely hampering fluidity, especially in the final third but i think there's easily enough fire power in that squad to win this league without signing anyone in Jan.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:00 - Nov 29 with 2692 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:52 - Nov 29 by davblue

I think you need to look at other things.

We don't create alot of chances and have to work hard to get chance, that's more of an issue in my opinion. If we are to persist with the way we are playing then we need a proper target man as we don't have one at the club.

The defenders are currently out scoring the midfield, it would help if we had a constant goal threat from midfield.

Tommy Miller was the last midfielder to chip in with double figures over a season and how many years is it since he played for us.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:09 - Nov 29 with 2649 viewsGeoffSentence

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:00 - Nov 29 by BullardsMagicMullet

The defenders are currently out scoring the midfield, it would help if we had a constant goal threat from midfield.

Tommy Miller was the last midfielder to chip in with double figures over a season and how many years is it since he played for us.

Depends on whether you count Luke Garbutt as a defender or midfielder.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:24 - Nov 29 with 2620 viewsCoastalblue

I think both Jackson and Norwood are capable of 20 in this league if they stay for for the season (not happening for Norwood) get the right service and play in a two.

Service is key, as well as support around them and both things that are often lacking. I've nothing against one up top but am not convinced we have either a forward or the midfielders to be effective with it.

I don't think we'll hammer anyone, but neither do I think we'll miss out purely due to lack of a goal scoring forward.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:22 - Nov 29 with 2536 viewsGarv

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:57 - Nov 29 by GeoffSentence

I am not sure that lack of goal power is the problem.

Only five teams have scored more than us.

Wycombe, in first place, have scored one more but played two games more.

Coventry in fifth have scored score four fewer in two games more.

Also we are in an automatic promotion spot.

It would be nice to score a few more goals, granted, but it is not quite the problem that you are making out.

Our league position is owed to our defence really. We've conceded 12 goals. We've 'only' scored 27.

If we start shipping goals we might be in trouble. Equally, we might start getting our shooting boots on. I'm still predicting the likes of Judge and Keane, possibly Huws too, will soon come to life.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:24 - Nov 29 with 2526 viewsGarv

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 09:00 - Nov 29 by BullardsMagicMullet

Our goals from midfield record is utter turd. It's pathetic.

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:24 - Nov 29 with 2525 viewschicoazul

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 08:53 - Nov 29 by Guthrum

Two things on that: 1) We are in the automatic promotion spots, our niggardly defence being as important as goalscoring in that; and 2) If they're all chipping in (which they are), we don't need one man to score twenty, just 80 or so between the whole team.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2019 8:54]

If you are saying having multiple goal threats is better than just one or two I agree absolutely, but we still need at least 1 new forward next month and maybe 2.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:27 - Nov 29 with 2508 viewschicoazul

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:22 - Nov 29 by Garv

Our league position is owed to our defence really. We've conceded 12 goals. We've 'only' scored 27.

If we start shipping goals we might be in trouble. Equally, we might start getting our shooting boots on. I'm still predicting the likes of Judge and Keane, possibly Huws too, will soon come to life.

looooool "Judge and Keane" looooooool

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 12:12 - Nov 29 with 2388 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 10:22 - Nov 29 by Garv

I think you'll be waiting a long time for those three to start firing in the goals.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 12:59 - Nov 29 with 2330 viewsOldsmoker

I'll keep saying this until I'm eventually proved right.
First, the second half of the season will see other teams that have small squads suffer from burn-out.
Second, I don't see many of our players being poached in the transfer window but some of Peterboro's goalscorers will be the subject of transfer rumours. They might leave so Peterboro' will be less of a threat. They might be forced to stay but could be unsettled 'cos they wanted the big payday move.
This season is not even half done.
Many more twists and turns to come.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:01 - Nov 29 with 2323 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Norwood 7 goals in 17 games. 0.41 goals per game

Jackson 7 goals in 15 games. 0.47 goals per game

We have 27 league matches left, so at the current rate of scoring;

Jackson would score a further 11 goals and finish on 18.

Norwood would score a further 13 goals and end up on 20.

So that's not a bad story.

I would expect Sears to get close to 10 goals if he comes back around the turn of the year.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:07 - Nov 29 with 2303 viewsBLUEBEAT

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:01 - Nov 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I would expect Sears to get close to 10 goals if he comes back around the turn of the year.

Would be happy with that.

Will Keane may score a league goal too.

Poll: W or W

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:11 - Nov 29 with 2289 viewsSouperJim

I think the propensity for teams to come to Portman Road and up their game/park the bus is skewing the perspective somewhat.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:14 - Nov 29 with 2267 viewswkj

I don't disagree that firepower is an issue, but even more of a problem has been our inability to achieve consistency over 90 in most matches. Whilst we are currently doing enough to get the job done in the league, that will be our undoing next season if we cross the line with promotion.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:25 - Nov 29 with 2226 viewsGarv

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 12:12 - Nov 29 by The_Last_Baron

I think you'll be waiting a long time for those three to start firing in the goals.

Well no one is exactly current in goal scoring form are they?

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:29 - Nov 29 with 2210 viewsGarv

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:01 - Nov 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Re: Sears. Really?

I'll be impressed if so, but shocked.

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:33 - Nov 29 with 2196 viewsZedRodgers

Nonsense.

Norwood, Jackson, Keane (who you've missed) and Sears are probably the best quartet of strikers this league has seen for a long time.

No, not at the moment

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:34 - Nov 29 with 2196 viewsCoastalblue

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:29 - Nov 29 by Garv

I think it's probably a moot point, doubt we'll see much of him before Easter.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 15:10 - Nov 29 with 2088 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:29 - Nov 29 by Garv

I see no reason why sears couldn't get 8-10 goals in 20 games if played in the right position.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 15:59 - Nov 29 with 2032 viewschicoazul

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 13:33 - Nov 29 by ZedRodgers

Nonsense.

Norwood, Jackson, Keane (who you've missed) and Sears are probably the best quartet of strikers this league has seen for a long time.

Shame one of them is crocked, and one of them is a permanent crock.

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 16:16 - Nov 29 with 2023 viewsNo9

Yep- MM ignored the importance of a strong midfield
I hoped PL would resolve that
Maybe not
Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 16:54 - Nov 29 with 1992 viewsGarv

Warky spot on about our lack of goal power up front. on 15:10 - Nov 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I see no reason why sears couldn't get 8-10 goals in 20 games if played in the right position.

I think he'll be more than handy, don't get me wrong. I just think it will be near enough a year - I doubt he'll play much if at all in Jan - that he'll have been out for, and it'll take a while for him to get going.

Norwood and Sears up top? Keane (fully fit) and Sears? Does sound good.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024