Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Compulsory voting 09:11 - Dec 1 with 718 viewsBarneycurley

So in a few countries there is compulsory voting.

What does the board think the outcome of the GE if this was to be the case in the UK?

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Compulsory voting on 09:17 - Dec 1 with 702 viewsWD19

Compulsory voting would just make the campaigning even more populist than currently.

Compulsory voting coupled with PR might see seats for the Monster Raving Loony Party, which would be a nice touch after all these years.
Compulsory voting on 10:03 - Dec 1 with 661 viewsDevereuxxx

The idea is solid, but the practicalities of it are a nightmare. The resources needed to successfully carry out the punitive measures against those who do not vote (fines etc) would be vast.

I like the idea of having an abstention box on the ballot paper though. So people can turn up to vote and abstain rather than either spoiling their ballot or just not voting. The more abstentions, the more it is clear people don't like the current parties/politicians/political system etc.
Compulsory voting on 10:06 - Dec 1 with 654 viewsTractorCam

Nah. Freedom of speech (or lack of it) in this case.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Compulsory voting on 10:44 - Dec 1 with 633 viewsActionMan

The highest electoral turnout we ever had helped Leave win. Be careful what you wish for here. If those same people turned out this time the Brexit Party would have seats.
Compulsory voting on 11:42 - Dec 1 with 608 viewsDarth_Koont

Proportional representation would be a far better step. It more accurately reflects what all people of voting age would vote for.

Pronouns: He/Him

Compulsory voting on 11:51 - Dec 1 with 586 viewsClapham_Junction

Compulsory voting on 10:44 - Dec 1 by ActionMan

The highest electoral turnout we ever had helped Leave win. Be careful what you wish for here. If those same people turned out this time the Brexit Party would have seats.

It's not even close to being the highest voter turnout. It was 5% less than the 1992 general election for starters. The highest on record for a full UK-wide vote is from the 1950 general election, more than 10% higher.
Compulsory voting on 12:13 - Dec 1 with 577 viewsJ2BLUE

Why should people vote if they don't want to? If the turnout embarrasses the politicians that is their problem. It's easily fixed with PR.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Compulsory voting on 12:25 - Dec 1 with 569 viewsfactual_blue

Compulsory voting on 10:44 - Dec 1 by ActionMan

A majority of the electorate didn't vote for brexit.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Compulsory voting on 12:29 - Dec 1 with 559 viewsTangledupin_Blue

There are many people who have no knowledge nor any interest in politics. Requiring these people to vote would be of no benefit to those of us who do take things seriously.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Compulsory voting on 12:48 - Dec 1 with 545 viewsKBsSocks

If the turnout is 50%, my vote is worth two.

If the turnout is 25%, my vote is worth four.

Happy with present system, as I'm a bit extreme in my voting propensities, apparently.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Compulsory voting on 14:07 - Dec 1 with 508 viewsTractorWood

Compulsory voting on 11:42 - Dec 1 by Darth_Koont

Proportional representation would be a far better step. It more accurately reflects what all people of voting age would vote for.

We had a referendum on that precise subject. Turnout was awful and it emphatically rejected.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Compulsory voting on 14:10 - Dec 1 with 504 viewsJ2BLUE

Compulsory voting on 14:07 - Dec 1 by TractorWood

We had a referendum on that precise subject. Turnout was awful and it emphatically rejected.

No we didn't. We had a referendum offering an inferior alternative.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024