Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance advice 14:17 - Dec 2 with 2727 viewsJon_456

Missus was hit from behind couple weeks back and the other person accepted responsibility, however her car has since been written off and the insurers are offering well below the value of the vehicle.

She's rejected their offer but they're insisting this is the best they can offer and have sent a cheque in the post. She knew they wouldn't give her what the car is worth but what they've offered doesn't come close to allowing her to buy a like for like replacement.

Are there other options she can explore before accepting the offer? Seems harsh that she'll have to fork out £750-£1000 + of her own money to replace it with a similar car.
Car insurance advice on 14:26 - Dec 2 with 1982 viewsBent_double

Is your wifes insurance company involved at all? If not, sounds like they should be, and be negotiating with the other parties insurance to get the best deal for your wife, especially as she wasn't at fault?

I've no idea if this is how it works, so apologies if I'm wrong.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Car insurance advice on 14:28 - Dec 2 with 1975 viewsSaleAway

When you say "well below the value" - where are you getting the value from?

Are they offering something in line with Parkers guide? low end? Have you asked them why its not high end? Do they have engineers reports that say that there was a pre-existing issue?

YOu need to know what you are fighting before you start. Is it their opinion of the condition of the vehicle, or their opinion of the value of that condition?

Options are that you get the car independently assessed - which will cost you, so may not be worth it, depending on the value and cost.

Alternatively, you could take it up with the financial ombudsman.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Car insurance advice on 14:31 - Dec 2 with 1965 viewsPinewoodblue

Fault or non fàult has no relevance here. Her entitlement is preaccident value of the vehicle.

If the damage is cosmetic, and you are confident the vehicle is mechanically sound with no major maiñtenace bills on the horizon, you can àsk the insurer if you may retain the salvage.

You cannot claim the difference between any insurance paymout you receive, and your perceived opinion of the vehicles from 5he other driver.

If you are asking for the missus why do you see any additional money needed to replace the car as her responsibility surely that's down to both of you.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Car insurance advice on 14:41 - Dec 2 with 1947 viewswkj

After working with Direct Line Group, I have to say your situation is sadly pretty common. Working there influenced me to never buy a car again and simply lease my vehicle. Yes, it means I am without a tangible asset, but it removes this very risk as well as the need to MOT the thing and cover the servicing costs.

I respect that advice may not help you with the current situation, but depending on your monthly expenditure I would recommend researching that option thoroughly before going out and replacing the vehicle.

Also, is this offer of settlement from your insurance company or from the other driver's company? If it is from the other driver's company, you might want to call the claims people on your company to seek clarity on what was agreed between the two insurers.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Car insurance advice on 14:43 - Dec 2 with 1936 viewsJon_456

Car insurance advice on 14:28 - Dec 2 by SaleAway

When you say "well below the value" - where are you getting the value from?

Are they offering something in line with Parkers guide? low end? Have you asked them why its not high end? Do they have engineers reports that say that there was a pre-existing issue?

YOu need to know what you are fighting before you start. Is it their opinion of the condition of the vehicle, or their opinion of the value of that condition?

Options are that you get the car independently assessed - which will cost you, so may not be worth it, depending on the value and cost.

Alternatively, you could take it up with the financial ombudsman.

This is the issue, because they've offered similar to what Parkers guide suggests (maybe slightly under but i guess thats expected), but you simply cant find anything like it for that money. As i understand it I thought they had to offer a value that allows you to replace it like for like, in the local area?

Im not sure having it independently assessed is worth the risk.

It may be a case that she just has to accept it but its the first time either of us have been involved in this situation and so I thought I'd seek advice from the TWTD experts, just in case there's anything we need to be aware of.
Car insurance advice on 14:45 - Dec 2 with 1928 viewsCotty

Does your wife's insurance have legal protection? If so, give them a ring, they will help you.
Car insurance advice on 14:45 - Dec 2 with 1932 viewshomer_123

Car insurance advice on 14:43 - Dec 2 by Jon_456

This is the issue, because they've offered similar to what Parkers guide suggests (maybe slightly under but i guess thats expected), but you simply cant find anything like it for that money. As i understand it I thought they had to offer a value that allows you to replace it like for like, in the local area?

Im not sure having it independently assessed is worth the risk.

It may be a case that she just has to accept it but its the first time either of us have been involved in this situation and so I thought I'd seek advice from the TWTD experts, just in case there's anything we need to be aware of.

Insurance companies don't use Parkers. At best they'll use Glasses Guides but even then - what they'll do is offer you whatever they feel they can get away with.

I'd get your insurance company on them.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Car insurance advice on 14:49 - Dec 2 with 1912 viewsJon_456

Car insurance advice on 14:31 - Dec 2 by Pinewoodblue

Fault or non fàult has no relevance here. Her entitlement is preaccident value of the vehicle.

If the damage is cosmetic, and you are confident the vehicle is mechanically sound with no major maiñtenace bills on the horizon, you can àsk the insurer if you may retain the salvage.

You cannot claim the difference between any insurance paymout you receive, and your perceived opinion of the vehicles from 5he other driver.

If you are asking for the missus why do you see any additional money needed to replace the car as her responsibility surely that's down to both of you.

Yeah i know what you're saying, just frustrating that she'll be out of pocket.

Re. your last sentence, because she's one of these feminist types that insists on paying her way
Login to get fewer ads

Car insurance advice on 14:53 - Dec 2 with 1899 viewsJon_456

Car insurance advice on 14:41 - Dec 2 by wkj

After working with Direct Line Group, I have to say your situation is sadly pretty common. Working there influenced me to never buy a car again and simply lease my vehicle. Yes, it means I am without a tangible asset, but it removes this very risk as well as the need to MOT the thing and cover the servicing costs.

I respect that advice may not help you with the current situation, but depending on your monthly expenditure I would recommend researching that option thoroughly before going out and replacing the vehicle.

Also, is this offer of settlement from your insurance company or from the other driver's company? If it is from the other driver's company, you might want to call the claims people on your company to seek clarity on what was agreed between the two insurers.

B*gger..

I think the settlement offer she got is from her insurance company but i'll check after work.

Thanks for your help though.
Car insurance advice on 14:56 - Dec 2 with 1895 viewsMedwayTractor

I had this exact situation a few years ago. I was offered far less (£1,000) than the asking price on Autotrader of the same make and model. These prices, about £1,500, were for older and and higher mileage cars, so I refused the offer from my insurance company. The offer was increased marginally, but not enough for me to accept. The case was passed to the supervisor, who asked me to prove my case for a higher value. I sent copies from the Autotrader website, which was followed by an offer of £1,500.

Two really annoying things about this were that (1) I had to negotiate the payout with my own insurers, who should have been on my side, and (2) I ended up considerably out of pocket, because I couldn't replace my car with similar and spent a lot of time and money finding a suitable replacement.

Good luck and don't take no for an asnwer!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Car insurance advice on 14:56 - Dec 2 with 1889 viewsRadlett_blue

I am also being screwed after a guy in a car park reversed into my car. I saw him coming & stopped. He made some minor (but expensive) damage to my car. He acted like he was going to play ball & write me a cheque, but when he saw the size of the quote he decided to go through insurance and is now saying we reversed into each other. So my insurance company will end up picking up half the bill and I will have a claim on my record. Nothing much I can do without an independent witness.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Car insurance advice on 15:04 - Dec 2 with 1854 viewsitfcjoe

Car insurance advice on 14:56 - Dec 2 by Radlett_blue

I am also being screwed after a guy in a car park reversed into my car. I saw him coming & stopped. He made some minor (but expensive) damage to my car. He acted like he was going to play ball & write me a cheque, but when he saw the size of the quote he decided to go through insurance and is now saying we reversed into each other. So my insurance company will end up picking up half the bill and I will have a claim on my record. Nothing much I can do without an independent witness.

I haven't got a dashcam, but at £50 from Lidl at the moment think I'd be wise to get one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Car insurance advice on 15:06 - Dec 2 with 1852 viewshomer_123

As an aside, but as a warning....imagine what it's like trying to get basic healthcare through an insurance company....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Car insurance advice on 15:25 - Dec 2 with 1801 viewsPinewoodblue

Car insurance advice on 14:49 - Dec 2 by Jon_456

Yeah i know what you're saying, just frustrating that she'll be out of pocket.

Re. your last sentence, because she's one of these feminist types that insists on paying her way

You had better not tell her you sought advice via TWTD.

There is one price of particularly good advice worth following up on. It is worth trawling through adverts on motor trader website, and others such sites looking for vehicles similar to the one written off looking for evidence that the insurer has got it wrong.

When you have a non fàult accident and you car is written off the biggest injustice is that by their negligence someone has taken away from you to change your vehicle at a time that suits you. Sadly you cannot put a value to that so there is no compensation for it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Car insurance advice on 15:37 - Dec 2 with 1764 viewsJon_456

Car insurance advice on 14:56 - Dec 2 by MedwayTractor

I had this exact situation a few years ago. I was offered far less (£1,000) than the asking price on Autotrader of the same make and model. These prices, about £1,500, were for older and and higher mileage cars, so I refused the offer from my insurance company. The offer was increased marginally, but not enough for me to accept. The case was passed to the supervisor, who asked me to prove my case for a higher value. I sent copies from the Autotrader website, which was followed by an offer of £1,500.

Two really annoying things about this were that (1) I had to negotiate the payout with my own insurers, who should have been on my side, and (2) I ended up considerably out of pocket, because I couldn't replace my car with similar and spent a lot of time and money finding a suitable replacement.

Good luck and don't take no for an asnwer!

Thanks! I think i'll have to have a phone call with them later and argue our case.
Car insurance advice on 15:41 - Dec 2 with 1747 viewsJon_456

Car insurance advice on 15:25 - Dec 2 by Pinewoodblue

You had better not tell her you sought advice via TWTD.

There is one price of particularly good advice worth following up on. It is worth trawling through adverts on motor trader website, and others such sites looking for vehicles similar to the one written off looking for evidence that the insurer has got it wrong.

When you have a non fàult accident and you car is written off the biggest injustice is that by their negligence someone has taken away from you to change your vehicle at a time that suits you. Sadly you cannot put a value to that so there is no compensation for it.

I may have to try that as a final resort. Like I say I cant find anything close to her car without having to add a sensible amount to it. Whether they'll take any notice of that is another matter.
Car insurance advice on 15:43 - Dec 2 with 1734 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

As others have said, have a scout of any available sources (valuation guides, AutoTrader etc) and basically make a case that the vehicle is worth more. You may need to raise formally as a complaint, and make clear that you’ll be going to the Ombudsman if you don’t get what you feel is a fair offer (and do so if you don’t - they’re very helpful)

Above assumes her insurance company haven’t been any help or that this is coming from them in the first place - if not that should be your first step

Good luck

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Car insurance advice on 15:43 - Dec 2 with 1731 viewswkj

Car insurance advice on 15:41 - Dec 2 by Jon_456

I may have to try that as a final resort. Like I say I cant find anything close to her car without having to add a sensible amount to it. Whether they'll take any notice of that is another matter.

As cotty said, look to see if the policy has legal protection or LP+; Basically they are addons to most policy that should come as standard IMHO, but it is a lot less gimmicky than say guaranteed hire car options and the sort can be.

Crybaby

Car insurance advice on 15:46 - Dec 2 with 1726 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 15:43 - Dec 2 by wkj

As cotty said, look to see if the policy has legal protection or LP+; Basically they are addons to most policy that should come as standard IMHO, but it is a lot less gimmicky than say guaranteed hire car options and the sort can be.

Legal Protection cover means your case will be taken on where a win is anticipated. That's about it.

Doesn't mean the enquiry shouldn't be made though of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Car insurance advice on 15:48 - Dec 2 with 1719 viewsjeera

It's always been this way with insurance - fecking crooks.

Be a nuisance mate. Print off as many like-for-like cars as you can find and post your findings off to them.

Then ask what they make of it? It's not like they don't know - they just don't care.

Car insurance advice on 15:51 - Dec 2 with 1712 viewswkj

Car insurance advice on 15:46 - Dec 2 by jeera

Legal Protection cover means your case will be taken on where a win is anticipated. That's about it.

Doesn't mean the enquiry shouldn't be made though of course.

One of the key things here is that on some policies it could also be used to recover any excess as a result of a claim in which the claimant is not at fault. It might not be a massive bump, but could further negate the OP's losses.

Crybaby

Car insurance advice on 15:53 - Dec 2 with 1710 viewsEdwardStone

I also had this happen....the insurance paid out just over half what my motor was worth after it was stolen and written off. I argued, but to no avail; they said that they were offering correct value according to them

So when I went to get my next insurance I tried to pay them only half the quote.....I was there for half an hour arguing with various staff members and the manager that the amount I was offering reflected the true value of their product according to me

Sadly, I didn't succeed in convincing them
Car insurance advice on 15:55 - Dec 2 with 1701 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 15:51 - Dec 2 by wkj

One of the key things here is that on some policies it could also be used to recover any excess as a result of a claim in which the claimant is not at fault. It might not be a massive bump, but could further negate the OP's losses.

That's uninsured losses isn't it?

Not sure if that's quite the same, but may well be.

Car insurance advice on 15:59 - Dec 2 with 1692 viewswkj

Car insurance advice on 15:55 - Dec 2 by jeera

That's uninsured losses isn't it?

Not sure if that's quite the same, but may well be.

Different companies probably do different things. I know when we presented ours we emphasised that point about reclaiming excesses in a no fault claim.

The broader story here is insurance companies are universally scum Lords and they will simply only help as far as the point in which it dwarves their best interests. The only time some policies offer a like for like. Replacement is if the car is less than 3 years old, it makes owning a new car such a shtt show, particularly if it is on tick.

Crybaby

Car insurance advice on 16:14 - Dec 2 with 1664 viewsRadlett_blue

Car insurance advice on 15:04 - Dec 2 by itfcjoe

I haven't got a dashcam, but at £50 from Lidl at the moment think I'd be wise to get one

Not sure it would have helped, unless it was a rear view dashcam!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024