Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plans for the trains. 17:03 - Dec 2 with 16866 viewsmonytowbray

✂️Cut rail fares by 33% from Jan 2020
👍Save the average commuter £1097/yr
✔️Fair fares for part-time workers
🎫Deliver a simple, London-style ticketing system nationwide
👛Free rail travel for under 16s

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/labour-rail-fares-cut-train

Backed, I think a 3rd off is fair for investment back if public owned. At the minute they charge double the cost of transporting commuters on a sh1te service to line the pockets of shareholders. Part time tickets have also needed to be a thing for far too long, as well as a simplier ticket/price structure.

I'd actually happily pay for trains knowing it was for the greater good of the nation.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:11 - Dec 3 with 748 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:08 - Dec 3 by JonBlue

That doesn't alter the fact that some of the poorest people in Britain will made worse off by this policy because of their location.

I support a number of Labour's policies but this one from a social justice/equality point of view looks ill thought out and more concerned with winning votes in marginal constituencies.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 13:10]

I haven't really followed this one. Why will some of the poorest people in Britain be made worse off by this policy?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:12 - Dec 3 with 734 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:59 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

Obviously. Are you going to do a little dance or just add it a tally in a little notebook?

Now why may a publicly funded rail network making a profit be significant to this thread?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 12:59]

I'm doing a little dance as I type.

You appear to be moving the point onto something different now you've been caught with your pants down.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:13 - Dec 3 with 738 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:12 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

I'm doing a little dance as I type.

You appear to be moving the point onto something different now you've been caught with your pants down.

Yes that or you're just a pedantic loser.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:13 - Dec 3 with 737 viewsgiant_stow

That doesn't alter the fact that some of the poorest people in Britain will made worse off by this policy because of their location.

I support a number of Labour's policies but this one from a social justice/equality point of view looks ill thought out and more concerned with winning votes in marginal constituencies.

Agree. On the trains, the best thing labour could do is ask the friends in the transport unions to stop fcking striking.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:15 - Dec 3 with 727 viewsBrixtonBlue

"Some" people. There will always be "some" people worse off, whatever you do. It's about doing what's best for the majority.

Perhaps public transport will improve under Labour as well. It certainly can't get much worse.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:18 - Dec 3 with 716 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:10 - Dec 3 by StokieBlue

He does have a point though Dolly. Lots of good stuff in the Labour manifesto but also an awful lot of promises with more coming out almost daily that aren't in there.

If they gain power it's going to be hard to implement them all and please everyone. Lots of people will have voted for them for lots of different things and will expect whichever one they voted for to be implemented.

I know you aren't like that - you are happy if the general gist of the manifesto is implemented (as would be very many people) and if some things get lost by the wayside then so be it. A lot of people won't be like that - remember what happened to the Lib Dems over tuition fees.

SB

That's true enough. I'd take a party that intends to do good over what we have at the moment though, however much of their manifesto they can't get around to implementing.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:19 - Dec 3 with 713 viewsJonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:11 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

I haven't really followed this one. Why will some of the poorest people in Britain be made worse off by this policy?

The policy is to be paid for by an increase in Vehicle Excise Duty which of course means low paid workers in rural areas will pay more to tax the vehicles they need to get to work.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:20 - Dec 3 with 703 viewsBrixtonBlue

He does have a point though Dolly. Lots of good stuff in the Labour manifesto but also an awful lot of promises with more coming out almost daily that aren't in there.

If they gain power it's going to be hard to implement them all and please everyone. Lots of people will have voted for them for lots of different things and will expect whichever one they voted for to be implemented.

I know you aren't like that - you are happy if the general gist of the manifesto is implemented (as would be very many people) and if some things get lost by the wayside then so be it. A lot of people won't be like that - remember what happened to the Lib Dems over tuition fees.

SB

Lowhouse is saying they're offering something free every day. They aren't. He's being silly, I'm sure you can see that as well as I can.

But my problem is it adds to the narrative of ridiculing Labour's plans, whether there's any truth in it or not. There's so many lies in this election campaign and I'm just sick of it. It has to be the worst ever surely?

With regard to the manifesto, I'm not sure ANY government has ever done everything it promised. I do know, though, that the Tories are the worst offenders when it comes to manifesto promises, by about 4 to 1 of any other party's.

Like you say, I'd be happy if they implemented the general gist. We'd be on the right course then, IMO.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:20 - Dec 3 with 709 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:47 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

Just looked into it. The tube makes a huge profit but the buses a huge loss.

Aren't London buses run by numerous companies, including Abellio?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:21 - Dec 3 with 701 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:11 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

Some poor people live in remote places so have to use a car, seems to be the gist of it.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:23 - Dec 3 with 700 viewslowhouseblue

SB

and what is really going on is that the party is 10 points behind in the polls and no one -the party leadership included - believes that it will form a majority government. it is therefore adding things now which weren't in it's manifesto and haven't been costed because it knows that it will never have to deliver on them. 'of course we would have done that, but we needed to do a deal with the snp and they said no.'

come on jezza, what about free breakdown cover or contents insurance?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:24 - Dec 3 with 693 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:13 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

Yes that or you're just a pedantic loser.

I'm not sure being wrong to the tune of £742m is pedantry, but you're quite correct on the loser bit.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:24 - Dec 3 with 695 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:21 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

Some poor people live in remote places so have to use a car, seems to be the gist of it.

Ah, right ta. Yeah, that bit's a pain. Thanks to Beeching and the Tories for that one.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:27 - Dec 3 with 690 viewslongtimefan

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:19 - Dec 3 by JonBlue

The policy is to be paid for by an increase in Vehicle Excise Duty which of course means low paid workers in rural areas will pay more to tax the vehicles they need to get to work.

Having worked in Suffolk my whole life I can honestly say that in 40 odd years of work I’ve never worked with anyone that regularly commuted by train.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:27 - Dec 3 with 681 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:23 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

and what is really going on is that the party is 10 points behind in the polls and no one -the party leadership included - believes that it will form a majority government. it is therefore adding things now which weren't in it's manifesto and haven't been costed because it knows that it will never have to deliver on them. 'of course we would have done that, but we needed to do a deal with the snp and they said no.'

come on jezza, what about free breakdown cover or contents insurance?

Didn't the Tories have an 80 seat lead at one point? If it's down to 10 that's fantastic! Go labour!

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:28 - Dec 3 with 684 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:27 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

Didn't the Tories have an 80 seat lead at one point? If it's down to 10 that's fantastic! Go labour!

quick edit mr

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:28 - Dec 3 with 681 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:27 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

eh? 10 points?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:28 - Dec 3 with 680 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:28 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

eh? 10 points?

too late.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:29 - Dec 3 with 676 viewsfooters

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:27 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

Having worked in Suffolk my whole life I can honestly say that in 40 odd years of work I’ve never worked with anyone that regularly commuted by train.

If you have lived and worked in Suffolk your whole life, that is completely understandable.

But you do realise there are many tens of millions of people who don't live in Suffolk, right?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:30 - Dec 3 with 661 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:28 - Dec 3 by giant_stow

quick edit mr

Edit what? I'm spot on as always!

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:30 - Dec 3 with 666 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:29 - Dec 3 by footers

If you have lived and worked in Suffolk your whole life, that is completely understandable.

But you do realise there are many tens of millions of people who don't live in Suffolk, right?

fake news.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:32 - Dec 3 with 653 viewsleitrimblue

Balls
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:33 - Dec 3 with 644 viewslongtimefan

I know that. My reply was to JonBlue’s post that was specifically talking about rural areas. Context is everything!
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 13:37]
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:34 - Dec 3 with 636 viewsgiant_stow

In fairness, its not just suffolk with gaps in the network:

I don't think you could call this proposal redistributive.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:42 - Dec 3 with 611 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Yes, but I,m sure British Rail are going to be chuffed to bits when I turn up at Ipswich station with a feckin great lawnmower to take on board

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024