Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plans for the trains. 17:03 - Dec 2 with 16797 viewsmonytowbray

✂️Cut rail fares by 33% from Jan 2020
👍Save the average commuter £1097/yr
✔️Fair fares for part-time workers
🎫Deliver a simple, London-style ticketing system nationwide
👛Free rail travel for under 16s

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/labour-rail-fares-cut-train

Backed, I think a 3rd off is fair for investment back if public owned. At the minute they charge double the cost of transporting commuters on a sh1te service to line the pockets of shareholders. Part time tickets have also needed to be a thing for far too long, as well as a simplier ticket/price structure.

I'd actually happily pay for trains knowing it was for the greater good of the nation.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:45 - Dec 3 with 862 viewshaynes_toe1

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:34 - Dec 3 by giant_stow

In fairness, its not just suffolk with gaps in the network:

I don't think you could call this proposal redistributive.

No, and i'm not comfortable with me paying so London commuters can get to work more cheaply, whilst i'm charged more because my only option is to drive. Paying twice, if you like.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:47 - Dec 3 with 854 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:45 - Dec 3 by haynes_toe1

No, and i'm not comfortable with me paying so London commuters can get to work more cheaply, whilst i'm charged more because my only option is to drive. Paying twice, if you like.

can't blame you mr, cos it's not a fair idea. Surprised at them for this one.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:00 - Dec 3 with 830 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 13:47 - Dec 3 by giant_stow

can't blame you mr, cos it's not a fair idea. Surprised at them for this one.

Of course it's fair if it's better for the majority.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:01 - Dec 3 with 836 viewsRyorry

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:35 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/03/uk-six-richest-people-control-as-mu

Just wondered how this all fits into someone like yours' worldview.

The odds are so heavily stacked. And of course, systemically, these 13million people are NEEDED to STAY poor, doing grunt and menial jobs down the ladder that eventually creates wealth for these 6 rich slugs. If we all had high paying jobs, there would be a huge vacuum of labour needed. Really, all the Tories and right wingers' talk about aspirations is empty, they know that they need poor people to dig the trenches for them. In the end, it comes down to telling someone to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 8:37]

I've never understood how people simply don't ever seem to think about how they would manage if there were no workers to empty their bins, work at the sewage plants, sort out their plumbing blockages/leaks, spread muck on the fields to help grow the wheat for their bread, stack the shelves, fix their broken down cars etc etc. Those are the real gold star workers - wage and salary pyramids should be turned upside down, with them being put at the top.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:10 - Dec 3 with 824 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:00 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

It would be better for the majority if train companies didn't have to spend loads on making the trains and stations wheelchair-firendly too - think of all the money saved -doesn't mean its right.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:18 - Dec 3 with 812 viewslongtimefan

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:00 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

Majority in what sense?
Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:19 - Dec 3 with 808 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:10 - Dec 3 by giant_stow

It would be better for the majority if train companies didn't have to spend loads on making the trains and stations wheelchair-firendly too - think of all the money saved -doesn't mean its right.

What a silly response. Adding wheelchair access a) Is for people who can't help it (rural dwellers could at least choose not to live there), b) Doesn't inconvenience anyone else, and c) Is a one off payment.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:22 - Dec 3 with 806 viewsjeera

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:19 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

What a silly response. Adding wheelchair access a) Is for people who can't help it (rural dwellers could at least choose not to live there), b) Doesn't inconvenience anyone else, and c) Is a one off payment.

"Adding wheelchair access a) Is for people who can't help it (rural dwellers could at least choose not to live there),"

Holy crap. Did you really just type that?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:25 - Dec 3 with 802 viewsgiant_stow

oh dolly.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:58 - Dec 3 with 777 viewsChiefXL

Wow

I'd read six pages of this thread without feeling the urge to respond until I read this.

Chapeau

I mean.... wow.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:03 - Dec 3 with 771 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:25 - Dec 3 by giant_stow

oh dolly.

Think he has been sucking wine gums.

He presumably means more than 52% when he refers to a
majority.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:11 - Dec 3 with 752 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:18 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

Majority in what sense?

eh?

Look in a dictionary if you don't know what majority means.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:13 - Dec 3 with 746 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:22 - Dec 3 by jeera

"Adding wheelchair access a) Is for people who can't help it (rural dwellers could at least choose not to live there),"

Holy crap. Did you really just type that?

What's wrong with it? I'm not saying rural people should just move... but they do have a choice. Disabled people have no choice.

I can't believe Ulla's suggesting not helping the disabled because of the cost and it's me getting grief!

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:17 - Dec 3 with 734 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:13 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

What's wrong with it? I'm not saying rural people should just move... but they do have a choice. Disabled people have no choice.

I can't believe Ulla's suggesting not helping the disabled because of the cost and it's me getting grief!

He's not suggesting it. He was using it as an analogy of where you don't always have to do what's right for the majority at the risk of alienating people who may be worse off.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:18]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:18 - Dec 3 with 734 viewslongtimefan

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:11 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

eh?

Look in a dictionary if you don't know what majority means.

Well I was asking what majority are you talking about? Rail travel accounts for about 9% of journeys but I suspect you’ve discovered that and would rather deflect!
Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:21 - Dec 3 with 724 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:18 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

Well I was asking what majority are you talking about? Rail travel accounts for about 9% of journeys but I suspect you’ve discovered that and would rather deflect!

Given that the carbon footprint of rail travel is on average a quarter of that for an equivalent car journey, I can see some sense in trying to move people to the trains. If it's logistically possible of course.

Ideally you expand the public transport network, but that's a long way off.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:23 - Dec 3 with 716 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:17 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

He's not suggesting it. He was using it as an analogy of where you don't always have to do what's right for the majority at the risk of alienating people who may be worse off.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:18]

Yeah I know, but obviously you wouldn't alienate the disabled, and it's not an equal analogy, for the reasons I gave.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:25 - Dec 3 with 715 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:18 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

I'm suggesting there are more people who use the trains than there are people in very rural places whose only option is to drive.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:25 - Dec 3 with 717 viewslongtimefan

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:21 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

Given that the carbon footprint of rail travel is on average a quarter of that for an equivalent car journey, I can see some sense in trying to move people to the trains. If it's logistically possible of course.

Ideally you expand the public transport network, but that's a long way off.

If he’d come back with that as an example then fine. He didn’t, he what he often does and took the argumentative approach. All I wanted was clarification as to what majority he was referring to as there wasn’t an obvious one in the context of rail users vs other forms of transport.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:28 - Dec 3 with 703 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:25 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

If he’d come back with that as an example then fine. He didn’t, he what he often does and took the argumentative approach. All I wanted was clarification as to what majority he was referring to as there wasn’t an obvious one in the context of rail users vs other forms of transport.

I've given it, above. And it was very obvious. The irony is that you are the one being argumentative by questioning what I meant by majority and trying to trip me up on pedantry.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:28 - Dec 3 with 707 viewslongtimefan

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:25 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

I'm suggesting there are more people who use the trains than there are people in very rural places whose only option is to drive.

Well I think I would have to disagree with that assumption.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:31 - Dec 3 with 694 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:28 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

the point here is that the people in rural areas doing the driving don't live in marginal constituencies, whereas lots of the people doing the commuting on trains do. it's simple electoral / bribery maths.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:38 - Dec 3 with 682 viewsBackToRussia

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:31 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

the point here is that the people in rural areas doing the driving don't live in marginal constituencies, whereas lots of the people doing the commuting on trains do. it's simple electoral / bribery maths.

So now trying to win votes is bad?!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:39 - Dec 3 with 673 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:38 - Dec 3 by BackToRussia

So now trying to win votes is bad?!

if it diminishes your credibility- yes. trust and credibility is political gold dust.

just imagine a party being less trusted than boris. wowzer.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:52 - Dec 3 with 651 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:28 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

Sure. Seems logical to me, but I could be wrong.

A good idea would be some kind of subsidy for people who have to drive for work and have no other option.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024