Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plans for the trains. 17:03 - Dec 2 with 16862 viewsmonytowbray

✂️Cut rail fares by 33% from Jan 2020
👍Save the average commuter £1097/yr
✔️Fair fares for part-time workers
🎫Deliver a simple, London-style ticketing system nationwide
👛Free rail travel for under 16s

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/labour-rail-fares-cut-train

Backed, I think a 3rd off is fair for investment back if public owned. At the minute they charge double the cost of transporting commuters on a sh1te service to line the pockets of shareholders. Part time tickets have also needed to be a thing for far too long, as well as a simplier ticket/price structure.

I'd actually happily pay for trains knowing it was for the greater good of the nation.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:54 - Dec 3 with 2178 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:31 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

the point here is that the people in rural areas doing the driving don't live in marginal constituencies, whereas lots of the people doing the commuting on trains do. it's simple electoral / bribery maths.

You literally have a negative spin on everything suggested by Labour.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:55 - Dec 3 with 2174 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:39 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

if it diminishes your credibility- yes. trust and credibility is political gold dust.

just imagine a party being less trusted than boris. wowzer.

There's no such thing as a party less trusted than Boris.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:57 - Dec 3 with 2172 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:54 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

You literally have a negative spin on everything suggested by Labour.

you don't get elected unless people trust you on spending and tax.

everything that labour has said under corbyn and mcdonnell has destroyed trust on spending and tax. you have more fiscal credibility than they do.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:25 - Dec 3 with 2115 viewsRyorry

Labour's plans for the trains. on 14:22 - Dec 3 by jeera

"Adding wheelchair access a) Is for people who can't help it (rural dwellers could at least choose not to live there),"

Holy crap. Did you really just type that?

Wow. Perhaps he thinks the countryside should just be cleared of all human habitation, without having thought about agriculture, food production, rural industries such as wealth-creating tourism, support services for people working in those sectors (medical, machinery, schools etc), overcrowding in towns/cities causing health problems etc etc etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:28 - Dec 3 with 2104 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour's plans for the trains. on 15:25 - Dec 3 by BrixtonBlue

I'm suggesting there are more people who use the trains than there are people in very rural places whose only option is to drive.

Nope, not even close

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rural-population-and-migration/rural-

And that’s before you factor in those that don’t live rurally but also wouldn’t see any real benefit from train savings

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:29 - Dec 3 with 2103 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:25 - Dec 3 by Ryorry

Wow. Perhaps he thinks the countryside should just be cleared of all human habitation, without having thought about agriculture, food production, rural industries such as wealth-creating tourism, support services for people working in those sectors (medical, machinery, schools etc), overcrowding in towns/cities causing health problems etc etc etc.

stop being sane and rational - you're showing the rest of up.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:42 - Dec 3 with 2088 viewsTractorWood

Labour's plans for the trains. on 06:47 - Dec 3 by GaryCooper

Get two flights a year at the current rate, the next two say plus 20%, anything after that 200% more expensive, frequent flyers are polluting the world.

The majority of frequent flyers have no choice as they will be on business. The big listed businesses will either then travel less which is good for the environment or travel the same and give some more buntz to the exchequer. Happy days.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:46 - Dec 3 with 2083 viewsfooters

If we continue with privatised rail networks that's exactly what's happening to rural places, thanks to them being not 'cost-effective' enough for them to service.

Just anecdotally, the Lowestoft-Norwich line used to stop at places like Somerleyton, Haddiscoe, Buckenham, etc far more regularly than they do now (Buckenham altogether). What have the good folk of these places done to deserve that? Why should they be punished with ever-diminishing services simply for living in smaller towns or villages?

A nationalised rail service wouldn't have to account for pure profitability in these terms, keeping more rural places alive with important transport links :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:46 - Dec 3 with 2082 viewsfooters

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:42 - Dec 3 by TractorWood

The majority of frequent flyers have no choice as they will be on business. The big listed businesses will either then travel less which is good for the environment or travel the same and give some more buntz to the exchequer. Happy days.

I wonder if they've heard of Skype. We seem to do OK with it :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:57 - Dec 3 with 2067 viewsTractorWood

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:46 - Dec 3 by footers

Depends on the timezone. If you are trying to do a full days work with Singaporean/Japanese/Oz colleagues from the UK you will struggle. You'd have to effectively do a night shift from home.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 18:59]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:00 - Dec 3 with 2061 viewsRyorry

If we continue with privatised rail networks that's exactly what's happening to rural places, thanks to them being not 'cost-effective' enough for them to service.

Just anecdotally, the Lowestoft-Norwich line used to stop at places like Somerleyton, Haddiscoe, Buckenham, etc far more regularly than they do now (Buckenham altogether). What have the good folk of these places done to deserve that? Why should they be punished with ever-diminishing services simply for living in smaller towns or villages?

A nationalised rail service wouldn't have to account for pure profitability in these terms, keeping more rural places alive with important transport links :)

Well made points :) Has to be properly costed tho.

What you describe already happened back in the day with Beeching of course; and more recently is happening right now with rural bus services being cut. The effect is then compounded when you have local GP surgeries being shut down/amalgamated, requiring more cars on the road to get to the now further away essential services (whether people buy their own cars & drive themselves, or depend on volunteers to help).

It's been a beef of mine for decades that no Govt. of any hue ever seems to give any thought to services in the UK actually being integrated (e.g health services & transport as above). Possibly because it requires too much common sense & thinking about the future :/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:07 - Dec 3 with 2052 viewslongtimefan

Skype for Business is great. Use it daily for international collaboration. Not looking forward to it’s replacement by Teams in the near future which I find far less intuitive.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 06:50 - Dec 4 with 1982 viewsBrixtonBlue

Disingenuous and taking it personally as per usual. I've even clarified that I don't mean that but you still went there anywhere to follow the crowd and score a cheap Internet point.

Funny how you always claim to have me on ignore but you're always there to get offended at my posts.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 06:59 - Dec 4 with 1977 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:28 - Dec 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Nope, not even close

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rural-population-and-migration/rural-

And that’s before you factor in those that don’t live rurally but also wouldn’t see any real benefit from train savings

As I suspected before I clicked the link, you've just lazily linked to rural population figures (and no figures about train usage). Anyone can do that to look like they've provided a link that wins an argument.

And I specifically said people in very rural places whose only option is to drive. Not all rural dwellers.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 07:58 - Dec 4 with 1955 viewsBogblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 06:59 - Dec 4 by BrixtonBlue

As I suspected before I clicked the link, you've just lazily linked to rural population figures (and no figures about train usage). Anyone can do that to look like they've provided a link that wins an argument.

And I specifically said people in very rural places whose only option is to drive. Not all rural dwellers.

someone posted a link earler showing train users were about 9% and healey's official rural population stats showed about 16% so it was pretty easy sums tbh
Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:00 - Dec 4 with 1954 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour's plans for the trains. on 06:59 - Dec 4 by BrixtonBlue

Regular train usage is 9% of the population, as already noted in this thread. Even if they were all rural dwellers (and clearly they are not), there would be more rural dwellers that don’t use trains

‘Only option to drive’ is misleading - technically anyone could walk/cycle several miles to a train station. However I would again suggest it is fairly obvious that those living in them will not have immediate access to a train station, and those that do at best have a very limited service which rules out train travel for most things

Your original point was also that this policy was ok if it appeals to the majority - by any stretch of the imagination I can’t see how 9% is anywhere close the majority

Sometimes it’s ok to admit you were wrong

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:14 - Dec 4 with 1912 viewsChiefXL

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:07 - Dec 3 by longtimefan

Skype for Business is great. Use it daily for international collaboration. Not looking forward to it’s replacement by Teams in the near future which I find far less intuitive.

Skype for business is a poor, poor replacement for developing a rapport with someone. I'd happily pay the additional tax for flying to meet someone because of the additional profits that face to face contact generates.

You need to look them in the eye, shake them by the hand. Maybe give their bum a little squeeze.....

*Disclaimer, my first point is serious. My second one not so much....
Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:16 - Dec 4 with 1906 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 07:58 - Dec 4 by Bogblue

someone posted a link earler showing train users were about 9% and healey's official rural population stats showed about 16% so it was pretty easy sums tbh

Again, I specifically said people in very rural places whose only option is to drive. Not all rural dwellers.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:19 - Dec 4 with 1904 viewsChiefXL

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:16 - Dec 4 by BrixtonBlue

Again, I specifically said people in very rural places whose only option is to drive. Not all rural dwellers.

You said that they should move, right?
Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:22 - Dec 4 with 1894 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 08:00 - Dec 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Regular train usage is 9% of the population, as already noted in this thread. Even if they were all rural dwellers (and clearly they are not), there would be more rural dwellers that don’t use trains

‘Only option to drive’ is misleading - technically anyone could walk/cycle several miles to a train station. However I would again suggest it is fairly obvious that those living in them will not have immediate access to a train station, and those that do at best have a very limited service which rules out train travel for most things

Your original point was also that this policy was ok if it appeals to the majority - by any stretch of the imagination I can’t see how 9% is anywhere close the majority

Sometimes it’s ok to admit you were wrong

You're exclusively talking about trains here and not mentioning other options such as buses and taxis - even bicycles.

There's nothing misleading in what I've posted. Clearly if someone had to walk miles to get to work that wouldn't be acceptable.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong when someone proves to me that there are more people who HAVE to drive to work (no other reasonable option) than there are train users in the UK.

I can't believe we're having a discussion on lower train fares being a bad idea, frankly.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:23 - Dec 4 with 1892 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:16 - Dec 4 by BrixtonBlue

We all say stupid things sometimes mr - I had to eat Darth's sh1t last week over a stupid comment i made for instance - tasted sweet and spicey.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:26 - Dec 4 with 1881 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:19 - Dec 4 by ChiefXL

You said that they should move, right?

No, I didn't say that. Try reading it again.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:27 - Dec 4 with 1879 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:23 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

We all say stupid things sometimes mr - I had to eat Darth's sh1t last week over a stupid comment i made for instance - tasted sweet and spicey.

I feel for you, but I don't know what it's got to do with me.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:27 - Dec 4 with 1878 viewsgiant_stow

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:27 - Dec 4 by BrixtonBlue

I feel for you, but I don't know what it's got to do with me.

Well you've just had a bit of mare on this thread really - best to stand down.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:32 - Dec 4 with 1859 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 12:27 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

Well you've just had a bit of mare on this thread really - best to stand down.

No I haven't. I said a thing, people wanted me to have said something different, but I didn't so they just went with what they wanted.

I admit when I'm wrong.

Disability isn't a choice. Where you live is. That's not to say people should just move. I've been quite clear I don't mean that. And I've even suggested a subsidy for people who have no other option but to drive. But equating them with disabled people is wrong... and disgusting frankly.

I'm still pretty confident I'm right with that opinion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024