Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dublin 11:13 - Dec 3 with 1353 viewsskyblue23

I've booked to go to Dublin in February with the wife for a couple of days and was looking for suggestions of things to do if anybody has any good ideas of different things to do?

Currently planning on doing the Guinness tour and drinking in lots of pubs including the temple bar. We both aren't really interested in site seeing so the castle etc wouldn't be for us.

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance :)

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Dublin on 11:15 - Dec 3 with 1342 viewsMrTown

I'm going in 2 weeks, likewise doing similar things to you, Guinness factory, Jameson Distillery, shopping, seeing Jack Whitehall, seeing friends, and drink a sh*t ton of Guinness

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Dublin on 11:19 - Dec 3 with 1326 viewsskyblue23

Dublin on 11:15 - Dec 3 by MrTown

I'm going in 2 weeks, likewise doing similar things to you, Guinness factory, Jameson Distillery, shopping, seeing Jack Whitehall, seeing friends, and drink a sh*t ton of Guinness

Nice! I'm not expecting to do too much more than what I've mentioned but wondered if there was something amazing I'm missing out on that doesn't appear on the 'things to do in dublin' pages online.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Dublin on 11:20 - Dec 3 with 1327 viewswkj

I am driving to the southern reaches of Ireland for christmas. Managed to get a rural cottage on Air BnB which saves an absolute fortune vs the big city hotels.

Be really astute with your cash in Dublin though, I have never paid so much for a bar tab in my life when I went, and I was barely beyond tipsy.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dublin on 11:44 - Dec 3 with 1291 viewsjontysnut

Dublin on 11:20 - Dec 3 by wkj

I am driving to the southern reaches of Ireland for christmas. Managed to get a rural cottage on Air BnB which saves an absolute fortune vs the big city hotels.

Be really astute with your cash in Dublin though, I have never paid so much for a bar tab in my life when I went, and I was barely beyond tipsy.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Temple Bar - not helped by paying nearly £8 a pint and £22 for two G&Ts.

Like a lot of places it's worth having a wander off the beaten track. Had a good steak in FX Buckley - pricy but the set menu isn't bad. J W Sweetman's brews it's own beer if you want change from Guinness. The Brew Dock has a good selection of craft beer. Trinity College & St Stephens Green are free to wander round for a bit of fresh air before you get back on it.
Dublin on 11:49 - Dec 3 with 1277 viewswkj

Dublin on 11:44 - Dec 3 by jontysnut

I was a bit underwhelmed by Temple Bar - not helped by paying nearly £8 a pint and £22 for two G&Ts.

Like a lot of places it's worth having a wander off the beaten track. Had a good steak in FX Buckley - pricy but the set menu isn't bad. J W Sweetman's brews it's own beer if you want change from Guinness. The Brew Dock has a good selection of craft beer. Trinity College & St Stephens Green are free to wander round for a bit of fresh air before you get back on it.

Oh god, I forgot about Sweetman's! That is an absolute must! Their food is no nonsense too! I had the whiskey chicken and it was absolutely wonderful and FX Buckley is pretty much how I view heaven.

Crybaby

Dublin on 11:54 - Dec 3 with 1269 viewslinhdi

Stadium tour of Croke Park, which include the Gaelic Athletic Association museum. Much better than it sounds - it gives a real insight into the history of Ireland, through a perspective you could never get over here. A few interactive bits to have a bash at some gaelic sports too.
Dublin on 11:59 - Dec 3 with 1264 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Dublin is an overrated, expensive dump. Avoid. Go to Galway or Belfast instead.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Dublin on 12:00 - Dec 3 with 1263 viewsVaughan8

Guinness factory & Jameson Distillery - Went to these on a stag do. Very good if you like that kind of thing. Don't really drink either (I did while I was there) but still enjoyed it all!

"Don't want to do sight seeing" Isn't that the point of going to places to see things haha Just made me laugh!
Login to get fewer ads

Dublin on 12:13 - Dec 3 with 1248 viewsSuperblue95

As far as capital cities go there really isn’t a whole lot to do in Dublin. Avoid drinking in Temple Bar too much as it’s unjustifiably expensive and there’s better pubs a short walk away where drinks are half the price. Lots of great places to eat around the city centre though which is a plus point (Diceys Carvery, Jimmy Chungs all you can eat Chinese Buffet, Gourmet Burger type restaurants every 5 buildings)

If it’s not too cold/wet then having a walk round Phoenix Park, Stephens Green and Trinity Campus is a good idea (although I think some parts of Trinity including viewing the Book of Kells is closed off for a few months)

Best advice though would be to catch a train to Galway or Cork for a day/night as they are better than Dublin, which in truth is a bit of a hole.

Edit: Should probably clarify that my knowledge of Dublin is based on spending 3 years there from 2013-2016 so what I’ve said could be outdated and others may have better advice.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 12:15]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Dublin on 12:18 - Dec 3 with 1229 viewsSuperblue95

Dublin on 11:20 - Dec 3 by wkj

Us lot down south won’t welcome your kind I’m afraid. Tread carefully

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Dublin on 12:19 - Dec 3 with 1222 viewswkj

Dublin on 12:18 - Dec 3 by Superblue95

Us lot down south won’t welcome your kind I’m afraid. Tread carefully

Please, people line the streets for my arrival in Athlone.

Crybaby

Dublin on 12:27 - Dec 3 with 1199 viewsleitrimblue

Dublin on 11:59 - Dec 3 by The_Last_Baron

Head West to Sligo
Dublin on 12:27 - Dec 3 with 1199 viewsSikamikanico

We hired a car and explored away from Dublin which was a godsend as Dublin was a bit rubbish.

Butler's Chocolate factory do a decent tour which included a chance to decorate your own chocolate.
Dublin on 19:42 - Dec 3 with 1095 viewsClareBlue

OK, I've lived in Ireland for the past 18 years and travel to Dublin most weeks. I live on the west coast in County Clare that is absolutley the best County to visit. It is about 3 hour drive from Dublin - all motorway to Ennis and very little traffic on the roads once out of Dublin/Kildare. If only a couple of days then, yes, you must see the sites in Dublin but it is very expesive and a bit run down. Only the Danes find hotels in Dublin affordable. If you can get out of Dublin and see the sites outside then Galway is absolutely the best party city ever and will take about 2 hours, again on a motorway straight between Dublin and Galway. Good coach service too. I have two daughters syudying there and it is well worth the trip for the food and pubs and festivals, that are non stop year round. If you get into west county Galway or into the Burren in North Clare, you will see breath-taking coast line and beaches. The drive from Galway through Newquay along the coast into Clare and past the Cliffs of Moher to Lahinch is a world protected site of natural beauty, and if you do it, you know why.

In Dublin a bit less known and better:
Kilmainham Goal - a good tour that you have to book. Good for history as where most were hanged in days gone by

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186605-d191025-r659799620-Kilmainham

across the road is a large modern art museum which is set in the grounds of the old military hospital and usually free entry. There are some really good exibitions of modern art.

Other side of the City there is the Glassnevin Cemetary where all the Republicans are burried and you can get a tour which will cover all Irish history. There are botanic gardens next door which are interesting, if that is your thing.

The GAA Croke park tour is pretty good. The stadium is the largets non football stadium in Europe with a capacity of 82, 000. I have been there on all Ireland day when it is full and it is amazing. The Aviva stadium store for the Ireland football no so good.

Short drive into Kildare and there is the National Stud tour for racehorse breeding, which is good if it is your thing. Next door is the Spanish Gardens which are OK.

You can walk round Trinity but have to pay to see the book of Kells, and check opening times as often closed for loads of reasons. Phoenix Park is the largest walled park in Europe and you can walk for miles in it if you are looking for exercise. It is right in the city near the Guiness House and Dublin Zoo is in it.

Temple bar is not good - just go a few streets up towards St Stephen's Green and the pubs are better and better value and if you want a sports bar then head to Camden Street and check out The Camden. It has the biggest TV screen in Ireland and you stand on a balcony looking at the screen watching the match. The venue has another 30 odd screens and a huge circular bar - seriously mad venue when Ireland are playing.

Don't bother with 'the little museum' what ever you read or anyone says to you and just be aware that it is not the safest city late at night if you are out of the busy areas. Stick to the tourist areas or use a taxi late at night.

Enjoy
Dublin on 20:21 - Dec 3 with 1050 viewsMoriarty

Dublin isn’t at all bad. Don’t be afraid to escape the city centre. Howth, Portmarnock beech, Malahide, Dun Laoghaire. Or Glen of the Downes isn’t far from the City.

As mentioned above, Clare is a super county. Driving coast from Ballyvaughan (Monks for a bite to eat) to Lahinch via Doolin is a treat. And Kerry - Killarney, Dingle.

Galway is probably my favourite city.

Avoid the North.

fka omuircheartaigh

Dublin on 21:08 - Dec 3 with 1024 viewsMoriarty

Dublin on 12:19 - Dec 3 by wkj

Please, people line the streets for my arrival in Athlone.

Have a brew in dead centre brewing, Custume Pier, Athlone. If and when you get a chance to escape your legion of followers in Athlone.

fka omuircheartaigh

Dublin on 07:13 - Dec 4 with 921 viewsTractorWood

I just didn't really get it. Apart from drinking or viewing places they make drink, there didn't seem anything to do. I went for England Vs Ireland at the Aviva. The most boring 0-0 draw ever but Didz and Murphy started upfront for Ireland. Strange weekend.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Dublin on 07:30 - Dec 4 with 910 viewsGaryCooper

Not sure about being a dump but strongly agree that Galway and Belfast are better for real Ireland. Dublin has become a little homogenous.
Dublin on 09:27 - Dec 4 with 845 viewsBlowedifiwinit

Kilmainham Gaol is well worth a visit. It's where they filmed the prison scenes in the original Italian Job and it's where the Easter Rising prisoners were executed.
Dublin on 09:29 - Dec 4 with 839 viewswkj

Dublin on 07:30 - Dec 4 by GaryCooper

Not sure about being a dump but strongly agree that Galway and Belfast are better for real Ireland. Dublin has become a little homogenous.

Galway for sure, Belfast doesn't really capture real Ireland at all.

Crybaby

Dublin on 09:31 - Dec 4 with 834 viewsBigManBlue

Dublin on 09:27 - Dec 4 by Blowedifiwinit

Kilmainham Gaol is well worth a visit. It's where they filmed the prison scenes in the original Italian Job and it's where the Easter Rising prisoners were executed.

Was about to say myself - if you don't do anything else there, this is pretty much essential.

I must also recommend drinking as much Kilkenny's stout as you possibly can.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024