Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ball boys/girls 13:01 - Dec 3 with 4414 viewsReuser_is_God

Bit of a hot topic at the minute due to the Spurs lad getting an assist in the Champions League last week but does anyone else share my huge frustration at the ball boys/girls we get at ITFC?

They just sit there on their cushion watching the ball go past them & when one of the girls last week at the Wycombe match did actually retrieve the ball she then didn't know what to do with despite the players being in the box & the corner taker also being in position. In the end that lino with the massive chin had to tell her what to do which is a damning indictment in itself.

At least have people do the job that understand the game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ball boys/girls on 16:57 - Dec 3 with 1886 viewsmos

You miserable human being.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Ball boys/girls on 16:57 - Dec 3 with 1886 viewsReuser_is_God

Ball boys/girls on 16:57 - Dec 3 by mos

You miserable human being.

Not as miserable as the ball people who sit on a cushion next to the pitch not taking an interest in their jobs.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ball boys/girls on 16:59 - Dec 3 with 1888 viewsPhilTWTD

Ball boys/girls on 16:04 - Dec 3 by itfcjoe

I got really annoyed about this once and e-mailed the club, was years ago because I got a response from Terry Baxter and Jim Magilton.

Jim said he had been frustrated with them, he had it so it was academy players and positioned in places so that they could watch the game in a position relative to where they played - and he'd given a few a b0llocking for not concentrating, and not understanding that when we were losing they should be busting a gut to get there etc, and be switched on to the state of the game.

Now it is just local teams, who generally struggle. I guess doing it once and then never again means you don't know what to do, or lack a bit of confidence. There should just be a regular team of ball boys/girls as there used to be, one of my friends did it and she must have been doing it for 3-4 seasons (or it felt like that when we were young)
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 16:07]

An interesting contrast to Joe Royle who was keen for ballboys/girls to take their time whatever the situation for fear of accidentally giving the opposition an advantage if they misread the situation.
Ball boys/girls on 17:05 - Dec 3 with 1880 viewsDeano69

We used to be the same crew every home game at one time (many, many years since I was a ballboy). Now it seems they pick different schools/clubs/kids every week so they dont really have much of a clue what the task entails.

And we only had two at either end.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Ball boys/girls on 19:15 - Dec 3 with 1837 viewsFifeITFC

Ball boys/girls on 16:59 - Dec 3 by PhilTWTD

An interesting contrast to Joe Royle who was keen for ballboys/girls to take their time whatever the situation for fear of accidentally giving the opposition an advantage if they misread the situation.

It just shows that managers DO consider them an advantage (or disadvantage) if used the right way and that they can make a little bit of difference for the benefit of the home team.

Cambridge balls boys used to offer a towel to clean the ball for their players but didn't for the away side. One team withdrew theirs during match to slow the game down when they were winning. And I've heard about sides removing 'multiball' to gain a advantage and kill a few extra seconds.

They can be used to give an slight advantage to the home side. But from my experience, ours have never been alert, bothered, savvy or interested to do much full stop.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Ball boys/girls on 19:23 - Dec 3 with 1827 viewsSwansea_Blue

They had a great one down here (although he was only in as a one-off appraently - he was the son of someone at the club and a last minute replacement, or something similar).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ball boys/girls on 19:29 - Dec 3 with 1828 viewsTrequartista

Richard Keogh is available, maybe he would be interested in his old post?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Ball boys/girls on 19:51 - Dec 3 with 1812 viewsYallop

I was ballboy mid 80s for a few seasons. Cracking days. Sprint if we're chasing a goal, slow walk and drop it when we're winning. Hardly rocket science.

TWTD
Login to get fewer ads

Ball boys/girls on 21:33 - Dec 3 with 1767 viewsPhilTWTD

Ball boys/girls on 19:15 - Dec 3 by FifeITFC

It just shows that managers DO consider them an advantage (or disadvantage) if used the right way and that they can make a little bit of difference for the benefit of the home team.

Cambridge balls boys used to offer a towel to clean the ball for their players but didn't for the away side. One team withdrew theirs during match to slow the game down when they were winning. And I've heard about sides removing 'multiball' to gain a advantage and kill a few extra seconds.

They can be used to give an slight advantage to the home side. But from my experience, ours have never been alert, bothered, savvy or interested to do much full stop.

Joe was less than impressed with the way West Ham utilised ballboys and multiball when we played them in the play-offs.
Ball boys/girls on 22:04 - Dec 3 with 1741 viewsPJH

Ball boys/girls on 21:33 - Dec 3 by PhilTWTD

Joe was less than impressed with the way West Ham utilised ballboys and multiball when we played them in the play-offs.

That was the same night that Pardew had the crowd pumped up wasn't it?

They certainly used home advantage in every way possible.
Ball boys/girls on 22:10 - Dec 3 with 1739 viewsitfcjoe

I could have ripped the ballboys head off in front of the way end that night - he ended up getting dragged away by stewards for his own protection from the town fans, but was an absolute c*nt and would have only got what he deserved.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ball boys/girls on 22:56 - Dec 3 with 1719 viewstextbackup

Ball boys/girls on 22:10 - Dec 3 by itfcjoe

I could have ripped the ballboys head off in front of the way end that night - he ended up getting dragged away by stewards for his own protection from the town fans, but was an absolute c*nt and would have only got what he deserved.

reckon the 27/28k west ham boys would have protected him to be honest

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ball boys/girls on 07:01 - Dec 4 with 1652 viewsjontysnut

Ball boys/girls on 15:44 - Dec 3 by trncbluearmy

100% this, ours without exception are useless

remember the whu ballboys in playoffs (used yoof team I think) they were brilliant completely hostile to ITFC, worth an extra 5%

Well coached ballboys could be a big asset

Yes my lad was at a L1 club and the U18s did ball boy duty - the manager wanted them to read the game and get the ball to the right player as quickly or slowly as necessary. He used to volunteer to go in front of the away fans as he thought the pelters he got was quite funny. At one game there was a pitch invasion and some fans got in his face and Millwall in the cup was interesting.
Ball boys/girls on 08:25 - Dec 4 with 1631 viewsitfcjoe

Ball boys/girls on 22:56 - Dec 3 by textbackup

reckon the 27/28k west ham boys would have protected him to be honest

They were too busy celebrating to see it all going on, he'd been a nob all game and then came to front of stand to try and give it large at the end of the game - think the steward even had a sly couple of digs at him when he pulled him away because he was causing him bother with it all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ball boys/girls on 08:42 - Dec 4 with 1613 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I thought I was going mental. I couldn't agree more.

At the Wycombe game Holy was walking off the pitch to fetch a ball that was 2 yards away from the ball girl. As Jose said Ballpeople are important, they can essentially slow down and speed up the pace of the game, ours are rubbish.

Tottenham have the right idea. Same people every game from the academy, that way they can watch the game pitch side and hear the players which is a valuable experience for them and they will get it even if it is simply by doing it over and over again.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ball boys/girls on 08:49 - Dec 4 with 1605 viewsVaughan8

Ball boys/girls on 16:55 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

Jim Magilton is basically god so I'm not surprised he shares my view.

You'd think the fact they get lads/girls from local teams would be of a benefit though as they should understand the game.

I'm getting fed up of calling kids cnts every other week because they cannot do a simple task to be honest.

The last line, I think you need to look at yourself. If you're calling them that, you're taking it way too seriously, or you need to have one less sherry before the game....!

Next you will be saying the mascots don't warm our goalkeeper up properly!
Ball boys/girls on 10:16 - Dec 4 with 1580 viewsKilburnBlue

Until they got their second that is.

Ball boys/girls on 10:23 - Dec 4 with 1579 viewsKieran_Knows

Ball boys/girls on 19:15 - Dec 3 by FifeITFC

Am I right in saying that Jim tried the 'multi-ball' system here? Or did I dream that?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Ball boys/girls on 14:36 - Dec 4 with 1527 viewsbraveblue

Absolutely right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024