Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Inequality in the UK 20:48 - Dec 3 with 2107 viewsHerbivore

Pretty shocking figures, the wealthiest six people in the UK control as much wealth as the poorest 20% - around 13m people. Six people having as much wealth as 13m people combined. It's not really trickling down much, is it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/03/uk-six-richest-people-control-as-mu

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Inequality in the UK on 21:52 - Dec 3 with 760 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 21:49 - Dec 3 by BloomBlue

But as I've already said the Hinduja brothers have already given billions to the poor in the sub continent

Evidence that it's billions? And what are they putting back into the UK, the country they are exploiting?

Inequality in the UK on 21:54 - Dec 3 with 758 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 21:50 - Dec 3 by blueislander

Rather than UK citizens , I should have specified UK resident. The Hinduja brothers will have claimed that they are actually resident outside the UK, and this will have been accepted by HMRC. You could argue that the legislation that allows this is flawed. The risk there is that they will totally withdraw from the UK , which would cause job losses , and a certain amount of lost corporation tax

Their money comes primarily from property, how will they withdraw that from the UK?

Inequality in the UK on 21:54 - Dec 3 with 757 viewsJ2BLUE

Inequality in the UK on 21:19 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

You don't accumulate that level of wealth without exploiting people and probably governments at some point. Look at Bezos, the guy sh!ts money whilst his staff are living in tents and needing in work benefits just to survive. By definition if you accrue that much wealth from the labour of others you're exploiting them. I suggest reading what Marx has to say about the concept of surplus value, it's interesting stuff.

The arguments for not paying a fair wage are really insulting. My favourite is the one where the likes of Tesco can't pay a fair wage because it would hit the pension funds. As if it's their job to subsidise the pensions of older people.

It's time to stop listening to excuses and drag these companies and selfish individuals into a fairer world even if they do kick and scream. Bezos is a c unit. Treats his employees like sh1t, under pays them and sells live animals on Amazon which are sent through the post to be cooked alive.

Time to ignore the threats. Want access to the sixth biggest economy in the world? Then you play by our rules. It shouldn't be difficult.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 22:06]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Inequality in the UK on 21:55 - Dec 3 with 756 viewsBloomBlue

Inequality in the UK on 21:52 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Evidence that it's billions? And what are they putting back into the UK, the country they are exploiting?

So what's the answer then, make it illegal to give money to foreign countries/people and they are only allowed to give money to this Country?
Inequality in the UK on 22:02 - Dec 3 with 746 viewsblueislander

Inequality in the UK on 21:54 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Their money comes primarily from property, how will they withdraw that from the UK?

Do you have the figures to support that? They could sell the properties, and thus withdraw from the UK completely.
Inequality in the UK on 22:03 - Dec 3 with 746 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 21:55 - Dec 3 by BloomBlue

So what's the answer then, make it illegal to give money to foreign countries/people and they are only allowed to give money to this Country?

Personally I'd do a one off wealth tax to greatly reduce the grotesque amount of money they have whilst others live in abject poverty and then have much higher tax rates for higher levels of income/profit to enable the wealth created in this country to provide excellent public services and reduce inequality. I'd combine that with improved worker rights and a more realistic living wage and incentives for companies that run a model of improved wages and benefits for employees over profits for shareholders. That's if I can't get the revolution off the ground.

Inequality in the UK on 22:04 - Dec 3 with 745 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 22:02 - Dec 3 by blueislander

Do you have the figures to support that? They could sell the properties, and thus withdraw from the UK completely.

However would we survive with someone else owning those properties? It'd be the beginning of the end.

Inequality in the UK on 22:07 - Dec 3 with 740 viewsblueislander

Inequality in the UK on 22:04 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

However would we survive with someone else owning those properties? It'd be the beginning of the end.

They do own very substantial industrial assets , particularly in the manufacturing , and petroleum sectors.
Login to get fewer ads

Inequality in the UK on 22:08 - Dec 3 with 738 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 22:07 - Dec 3 by blueislander

They do own very substantial industrial assets , particularly in the manufacturing , and petroleum sectors.

Good for them. Money begets money.

Inequality in the UK on 22:10 - Dec 3 with 733 viewsblueislander

Inequality in the UK on 22:08 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Good for them. Money begets money.

So people have to apologize for having substantial wealth?
Inequality in the UK on 22:13 - Dec 3 with 729 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 22:10 - Dec 3 by blueislander

So people have to apologize for having substantial wealth?

Whilst there are people living in poverty, yes.

Inequality in the UK on 22:21 - Dec 3 with 720 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Inequality in the UK on 22:13 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Whilst there are people living in poverty, yes.

Or at least if they arguing they can't afford to pay a little more.

Interestingly I haven't actually heard any of them say that … just a lot of other horrified individuals that abhor the idea the ultra-rich might pay a little more.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Inequality in the UK on 22:22 - Dec 3 with 719 viewsnoggin

Inequality in the UK on 21:13 - Dec 3 by blueislander

This thread ain’t gonna last for long after that post

I thought it was a little dig at Hampstead Blue.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Inequality in the UK on 22:29 - Dec 3 with 711 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Inequality in the UK on 22:22 - Dec 3 by noggin

I thought it was a little dig at Hampstead Blue.

I was rather confused by the response. I suspect he didn't get the sarcasm in my reply. Still wasn't entirely sure what he meant, mind.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Inequality in the UK on 22:34 - Dec 3 with 705 viewsSwansea_Blue

Inequality in the UK on 21:50 - Dec 3 by blueislander

Rather than UK citizens , I should have specified UK resident. The Hinduja brothers will have claimed that they are actually resident outside the UK, and this will have been accepted by HMRC. You could argue that the legislation that allows this is flawed. The risk there is that they will totally withdraw from the UK , which would cause job losses , and a certain amount of lost corporation tax

And this is the problem. They effectively hold the government hostage. 'Don't penalise us or we'll move out, oh and by the way here's a slap up diner party for you over here, and a donation or two over there. A peerage, oh lovely thank you.' Etc.

Which is fine I suppose. I just can't understand how people who aren't stinkingly rich think this is a fair way to carry on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Inequality in the UK on 22:42 - Dec 3 with 693 viewsKropotkin123

Inequality in the UK on 21:49 - Dec 3 by BloomBlue

But as I've already said the Hinduja brothers have already given billions to the poor in the sub continent

The country shouldn't be at the whim of the philanthropy of the richest.

Rather society should be structured to avoid inequality and reward hard work. At the moment it only rewards the hard work of a handful and grows inequality.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Inequality in the UK on 22:59 - Dec 3 with 688 viewsBlueBadger

Inequality in the UK on 21:30 - Dec 3 by BloomBlue

Not sure that is going to work. But the interesting thing is 4 of those 6 were born outside the UK, one outside mainland UK and another one grew up in council house. But rather than look at how these individuals had the drive to build companies were now in the world of the politics of jealousy

Interesting that we have to motivate the low-paid by threatening to pay them less, but the super-rich by doing things to make them even richer still, despite them having more than they can feasibly spend in the first place.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2019 6:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Inequality in the UK on 04:15 - Dec 4 with 625 viewstextbackup

Inequality in the UK on 20:56 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

They could give away about £11.8bn and still be fabulously wealthy.

so because they've got more money than you, they should give loads of money away to help more people than they already do?
they might have worked arses off, and sacrificed more than you'll ever know to be in the position they are. or doesn't that matter?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Inequality in the UK on 07:53 - Dec 4 with 580 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 04:15 - Dec 4 by textbackup

so because they've got more money than you, they should give loads of money away to help more people than they already do?
they might have worked arses off, and sacrificed more than you'll ever know to be in the position they are. or doesn't that matter?

Why are you making it about me? I'm not. It's not about me. It's about a system where 6 people can control as much wealth as 13m people in a wealthy country where poverty still exists. That isn't right. You cannot hoard that kind of wealth without exploiting people. Plenty of people work their arses off and make sacrifices and can never even dream of affording to buy their own home, let alone accumulate billions of pounds.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2019 8:11]

Inequality in the UK on 08:35 - Dec 4 with 552 viewsitfcjoe

Inequality in the UK on 04:15 - Dec 4 by textbackup

You can't get that rich without exploiting people, it's an obscene amount of wealth.

I think sometimes people get confused as to how much money a multi-billionaire has, and how unnecessary it is for anyone to be that rich.

Someone could give you a £100k every single day of your life and you wouldn't be close

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Inequality in the UK on 08:44 - Dec 4 with 549 viewsfactual_blue

Inequality in the UK on 21:10 - Dec 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Imagine how rich this country would be if all those lazy scrounging 13M worked as hard as those 6 people have done to get where they are.

Let's not forget - the rich need incentivising with more money; the poor need incentivising with less.

#notquitesurehowthatworks

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Inequality in the UK on 09:06 - Dec 4 with 537 viewsHerbivore

Inequality in the UK on 08:35 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

You can't get that rich without exploiting people, it's an obscene amount of wealth.

I think sometimes people get confused as to how much money a multi-billionaire has, and how unnecessary it is for anyone to be that rich.

Someone could give you a £100k every single day of your life and you wouldn't be close

Exactly this.

Inequality in the UK on 09:16 - Dec 4 with 528 viewsSwansea_Blue

Inequality in the UK on 08:35 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

If someone gave you £100,000 a day, or you were able to save £100,000 per day, it would take 602 years 8 months 3 weeks and 5 days to save up the £22bn the Hinduja are worth.

And then we have kids who are rationed food.

And people defending that position.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Inequality in the UK on 09:24 - Dec 4 with 522 viewsBackToRussia

Inequality in the UK on 09:16 - Dec 4 by Swansea_Blue

If someone gave you £100,000 a day, or you were able to save £100,000 per day, it would take 602 years 8 months 3 weeks and 5 days to save up the £22bn the Hinduja are worth.

And then we have kids who are rationed food.

And people defending that position.

Stockholm syndrome.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024