Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corbyn IRA 23:06 - Dec 6 with 9075 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Corbyn IRA on 09:31 - Dec 7 with 1084 viewsBryanPlug

Corbyn IRA on 09:30 - Dec 7 by vapour_trail

Yes.

Hundreds of thousands in the middle east.

[content removed at owner's request]

Corbyn IRA on 09:32 - Dec 7 with 1082 viewsjeera

Corbyn IRA on 07:47 - Dec 7 by BryanPlug

You're brainwashed pal.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Corbyn IRA on 09:34 - Dec 7 with 1079 viewsHerbivore

Corbyn IRA on 07:17 - Dec 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I can’t speak specifically for Chelmsford but in the UK poverty across all levels, including children, has stayed pretty much static across the past 9 years;

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/child-poverty-trends-since-2010/

The rest all seem somewhat valid however

As for your OP a vote for the Tories is many things but to state it’s definitely a vote for a no deal Brexit rather undermines the argument somewhat. I also find the general recent tone that voting for anyone else other than Con/Lab is somehow a vote for the Tories rather unpleasant

EDIT: Final paragraph is in relation to another thread, got confused
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 8:57]

But poverty has stayed static (though is increasing again over the past couple of years) despite more people being in work and despite the economy being 10 years on from a massive economic crash. If austerity is going to always be contextualised by the Tories inheriting an economy on its arse then so should the figures on poverty. They inherited an impoverished nation and only the already wealthy have got wealthier in nearly a decade of government. It's not a record on poverty to be proud of and it's forecast to continue rising should the Tories win a majority.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 10:23]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Corbyn IRA on 09:37 - Dec 7 with 1058 viewsjeera

Corbyn IRA on 07:51 - Dec 7 by BryanPlug

" Corbynite bot."

You are incapable of independent thought so assume everyone else is the same.

Corbyn IRA on 09:38 - Dec 7 with 1058 viewsBryanPlug

Corbyn IRA on 09:32 - Dec 7 by jeera

You're brainwashed pal.

Corbyn IRA on 09:42 - Dec 7 with 1049 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Corbyn IRA on 09:34 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

But poverty has stayed static (though is increasing again over the past couple of years) despite more people being in work and despite the economy being 10 years on from a massive economic crash. If austerity is going to always be contextualised by the Tories inheriting an economy on its arse then so should the figures on poverty. They inherited an impoverished nation and only the already wealthy have got wealthier in nearly a decade of government. It's not a record on poverty to be proud of and it's forecast to continue rising should the Tories win a majority.

It was largely static through the 2000’s too

I agree it’s not a record to be proud of, but just quoting poverty figures as an attack doesn’t stack up either

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Corbyn IRA on 09:43 - Dec 7 with 1045 viewsRadlett_blue

Corbyn IRA on 09:34 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Please remember that the modern definition of "poverty" is relatively poor so it's actually now a measurement of inequality. Don't get me wrong , I think wealth in Britain has (like the US) become too polarised, but this would be better dealt with by using the modern definition of poverty.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Corbyn IRA on 09:45 - Dec 7 with 1038 viewsjeera

Corbyn IRA on 09:43 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

Please remember that the modern definition of "poverty" is relatively poor so it's actually now a measurement of inequality. Don't get me wrong , I think wealth in Britain has (like the US) become too polarised, but this would be better dealt with by using the modern definition of poverty.

There are literally people - including children - with nowhere to live.

People who cannot afford food.

I would say that falls realistically within the realms of poverty.

Login to get fewer ads

Corbyn IRA on 09:55 - Dec 7 with 1023 viewsRadlett_blue

Corbyn IRA on 09:45 - Dec 7 by jeera

There are literally people - including children - with nowhere to live.

People who cannot afford food.

I would say that falls realistically within the realms of poverty.

Yes, I agree. But the modern definition says that 20-30% of the population are in "poverty". IMO, if you can house, clothe and feed yourself, you are not in poverty. You may still well be relatively poor. It's the misuse of the definition with which I am quibbling.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Corbyn IRA on 10:02 - Dec 7 with 1013 viewsDarth_Koont

Corbyn IRA on 09:55 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I agree. But the modern definition says that 20-30% of the population are in "poverty". IMO, if you can house, clothe and feed yourself, you are not in poverty. You may still well be relatively poor. It's the misuse of the definition with which I am quibbling.

Wow!

Pronouns: He/Him

Corbyn IRA on 10:15 - Dec 7 with 996 viewsbluejacko

On dear you surely must have recognised the storm you were about to unleash with criticism of the dear leader! 😂
Corbyn IRA on 10:25 - Dec 7 with 978 viewsHerbivore

Corbyn IRA on 09:55 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

Jesus wept. We're a wealthy nation, one of the wealthiest in the world, and you're genuinely arguing that if someone has a roof over their head they aren't living in poverty? Welcome to the Tory UK in 2019.

Corbyn IRA on 10:29 - Dec 7 with 964 viewsHerbivore

Corbyn IRA on 09:42 - Dec 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It was largely static through the 2000’s too

I agree it’s not a record to be proud of, but just quoting poverty figures as an attack doesn’t stack up either

There's a clear spike around the time of the crash mind you, which is kind of the point. It should be easier to being people out of poverty in a recovering economy and there's a rather troubling upturn in the past few years despite us being told that record numbers are in employment. That's a worry. I think you have to look at other statistics too, such as the rise in homelessness and the massive rise in foodbank use, to get a fuller picture of the impact of austerity.

Corbyn IRA on 10:29 - Dec 7 with 965 viewsmr_bean

Watch the recent BBC series "Spotlight on the Troubles". There are seven episodes, but it's absolutely well worth it. It's still available on the iPlayer.

Having watched the whole thing, you will not fail to appreciate that, as in many conflicts, atrocities were committed BY BOTH SIDES. Both sides had valid grievances, and both sides suffered.

Dialogue and compromise were the only way to solve the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Corbyn was an advocate for this.
Corbyn IRA on 10:31 - Dec 7 with 963 viewsclive_baker

It amazes me that so many people appear willing to vote for the anti-Semitic party, headed up by the terrorist sympathiser. What times we’re living in.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Corbyn IRA on 10:42 - Dec 7 with 933 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Corbyn IRA on 10:29 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

There's a clear spike around the time of the crash mind you, which is kind of the point. It should be easier to being people out of poverty in a recovering economy and there's a rather troubling upturn in the past few years despite us being told that record numbers are in employment. That's a worry. I think you have to look at other statistics too, such as the rise in homelessness and the massive rise in foodbank use, to get a fuller picture of the impact of austerity.

That spike for children quickly receded to the mean by 2010. The years prior and post both show very much a static trend, with a slight reduction since 2010

Similarly the other overall metrics paint a similar picture, without the spike

Although I don’t agree with his own definition Radlett_Blue has a point re the way poverty is recorded, which is a huge factor in why there isn’t much variance in levels over the years

Corbyn IRA on 10:55 - Dec 7 with 907 viewsHerbivore

Corbyn IRA on 10:42 - Dec 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That spike for children quickly receded to the mean by 2010. The years prior and post both show very much a static trend, with a slight reduction since 2010

Similarly the other overall metrics paint a similar picture, without the spike

Although I don’t agree with his own definition Radlett_Blue has a point re the way poverty is recorded, which is a huge factor in why there isn’t much variance in levels over the years

Although child poverty has been rising for the past 3 years and is predicted to continue to do so, which is a worry. And that's alongside massive increases in homelessness, including homeless children, and foodbank usage.

Corbyn IRA on 11:02 - Dec 7 with 895 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Corbyn IRA on 10:55 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Although child poverty has been rising for the past 3 years and is predicted to continue to do so, which is a worry. And that's alongside massive increases in homelessness, including homeless children, and foodbank usage.

Now we’re getting somewhere, and yes homelessness and food bank usage was referenced in my initial post

Corbyn IRA on 11:35 - Dec 7 with 866 viewsfactual_blue

Corbyn IRA on 08:18 - Dec 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Depends how you spin it. Reaching out to the IRA (and Protestant extremists) is what brought 'peace' to Northern Ireland - if you discount putting up 20 foot barriers between different religious areas which is still going on today.

Nelson Mandela was a terrorist. I think Jeremy Corbyn supported him too.

It also helps to do a little research on how appallingly and brutally England has behaved towards Ireland for centuries. You can, for example, take your pick of Bloody Sundays.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Corbyn IRA on 12:24 - Dec 7 with 829 viewsHARRY10

Corbyn IRA on 10:31 - Dec 7 by clive_baker

It amazes me that so many people appear willing to vote for the anti-Semitic party, headed up by the terrorist sympathiser. What times we’re living in.

A sympathiser, he was a supporter a few posts back.

Perhaps you could clarify what he supposedly was.
Corbyn IRA on 12:26 - Dec 7 with 826 viewsHARRY10

Corbyn IRA on 08:16 - Dec 7 by BryanPlug

Because your ill informed bleats aren't worthy of anything else.
Corbyn IRA on 12:34 - Dec 7 with 819 viewsjeera

Corbyn IRA on 10:29 - Dec 7 by mr_bean

Watch the recent BBC series "Spotlight on the Troubles". There are seven episodes, but it's absolutely well worth it. It's still available on the iPlayer.

Having watched the whole thing, you will not fail to appreciate that, as in many conflicts, atrocities were committed BY BOTH SIDES. Both sides had valid grievances, and both sides suffered.

Dialogue and compromise were the only way to solve the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Corbyn was an advocate for this.

Pretty much a 'this' and you sir, are spot on.

Corbyn IRA on 12:40 - Dec 7 with 815 viewsMoriarty

Corbyn IRA on 11:35 - Dec 7 by factual_blue

It also helps to do a little research on how appallingly and brutally England has behaved towards Ireland for centuries. You can, for example, take your pick of Bloody Sundays.

There’s (in general) an inability amongst many outside of Ireland to understand the complexity of the troubles. And indeed the role of the British authorities in the murder of Irish civilians.

The challenge to move on took a lot of effort from all sides.

OP could just as easily have run a thread entitled “John Lennon IRA”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/john-lennon-ira.

fka omuircheartaigh

Corbyn IRA on 12:48 - Dec 7 with 801 viewshampstead_blue

Corbyn IRA on 09:12 - Dec 7 by BryanPlug

Are you drunk?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Corbyn IRA on 12:51 - Dec 7 with 800 viewsjeera

Corbyn IRA on 08:18 - Dec 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Depends how you spin it. Reaching out to the IRA (and Protestant extremists) is what brought 'peace' to Northern Ireland - if you discount putting up 20 foot barriers between different religious areas which is still going on today.

Nelson Mandela was a terrorist. I think Jeremy Corbyn supported him too.

Down-voted by mistake.

Corrected.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024