Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corporation Tax in Europe 10:09 - Dec 7 with 1219 viewsKropotkin123

Country %
Isle of Man 0.00
Hungary 9.0
Montenegro 9.00
Bosnia and Herzegovina 10.00
Bulgaria 10.00
Kosovo 10.00
Macedonia 10.00
Moldova 12.00
Cyprus 12.50
Ireland 12.50
Liechtenstein 12.50
Albania 15.00
Lithuania 15.00
Serbia 15.00
Romania 16.00
Belarus 18.00
Croatia 18.00
Switzerland 18.00
Ukraine 18.00
Czech Republic 19.00
Poland 19.00
Slovenia 19.00
United Kingdom 19.00
Estonia 20.00
Finland 20.00
Iceland 20.00
Latvia 20.00
Russia 20.00
Portugal 21.00
Slovakia 21.00
European Union 21.30
Sweden 21.40
Denmark 22.00
Norway 22.00
Turkey 22.00
Euro area 23.30
Italy 24.00
Austria 25.00
Netherlands 25.00
Spain 25.00
Luxembourg 27.08
Greece 28.00
Belgium 29.00
Germany 30.00
France 31.00
Malta 35.00

Sorry if this has been posted before. My colleagues were banging on about how high corporation tax is.

1. It is evidently comparatively low.
2. Raising it to 26% is a bizarre number to choose, as it puts us above countries like the Netherlands that we compete with.
3. Somewhere between 21-23% seems fair

Side note: If companies like Starbucks and Amazon don't pay tax, then they can do one. We don't need them. Other companies will take their place as other companies will want to make the clear profit available in that space.

If anything, these companies should pay higher tax than smaller companies, in the same way higher earners should. A small start-up is more vulnerable than a company like Starbucks.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Corporation Tax in Europe on 10:54 - Dec 7 with 1134 viewsWeWereZombies

You missed out Andorra: 10%. I was surprised, I thought it was death duties that were their only tax.

[edit] amended for pedants who fail to see a space between '-' and '10%' and wilfully draw an incorrect conclusion (hope you have not incurred any start up fees, Mr. Stone).
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 11:16]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 10:58 - Dec 7 with 1119 viewsEdwardStone

Corporation Tax in Europe on 10:54 - Dec 7 by WeWereZombies

You missed out Andorra: 10%. I was surprised, I thought it was death duties that were their only tax.

[edit] amended for pedants who fail to see a space between '-' and '10%' and wilfully draw an incorrect conclusion (hope you have not incurred any start up fees, Mr. Stone).
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 11:16]

Minus 10%!!!! You surprise me!!!

Sounds ideal.....for every £10k profit that my micro-company reports, the Andorra govt. chips in a further Grand

Right, I'm off to register my business there now this moment
Corporation Tax in Europe on 10:58 - Dec 7 with 1120 viewsGeoffSentence

If all the Starbucks and Costas were to go today, within a very short time they would be replaced by independent tax paying cafes.

Bring it on.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:03 - Dec 7 with 1102 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The headline rate is clearly important but probably less so than tax incentives, principles around holding structures etc (all of which are pretty favourable in the UK at the moment).

We have to stay “open for business”. Amazon might only pay a relatively small amount of corporation tax but their supply chain is massive, and directly or indirectly employs many thousands of people.
Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:13 - Dec 7 with 1075 viewsgrow_our_own

"If companies like Starbucks and Amazon don't pay tax, then they can do one."

Imagine if all Amazon's assets (eg data-centres) were in Germany, all its staff were in the US and all its sales occurred in the UK.

Then you taxed their profit, not by where they shifted it to, but where their real economic activity is: one third at the US corp tax rate since that's where its staff is, one third at the German tax rate since that's where its assets are, and one third at the British corp tax rate since that's where its revenue is received.

Fixed.

https://www.taxjustice.net/2019/11/21/unitary-tax-explained-infographic/
Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:20 - Dec 7 with 1056 viewsHerbivore

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:03 - Dec 7 by PrideOfTheEast

The headline rate is clearly important but probably less so than tax incentives, principles around holding structures etc (all of which are pretty favourable in the UK at the moment).

We have to stay “open for business”. Amazon might only pay a relatively small amount of corporation tax but their supply chain is massive, and directly or indirectly employs many thousands of people.

Many of whom are propped up by government benefits because they aren't paid a genuine living wage. Let's also not pretend that Amazon wouldn't be employing people in the UK if they actually paid a fair share of tax, we're a huge market for them. I detest all the excuses that get made for companies that make billions in profit and do all they can to avoid paying a reasonable rate of tax.

Edit - And as this has really boiled my piss, I'll ask the rhetorical question to whose benefit do you think they are employing people? It's not for charitable purposes, it's to help them generate massive profits. There's no altruism involved so let's not pretend that there is.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 11:24]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:25 - Dec 7 with 1037 viewsnoggin

Multi nationals like Amazon control the capitalist world. Seems to me, they themselves decide how much they pay back to society, usually as little as possible so that their share holders can earn as much as possible.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:26 - Dec 7 with 1033 viewsHerbivore

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:25 - Dec 7 by noggin

Multi nationals like Amazon control the capitalist world. Seems to me, they themselves decide how much they pay back to society, usually as little as possible so that their share holders can earn as much as possible.

Anyone who defends a system where Bezos is worth $110bn whilst his workers don't earn enough to live on and his company pays minimal tax on their profits is a proper tw@t.

Login to get fewer ads

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:32 - Dec 7 with 1023 viewsJ2BLUE

31%? How is France coping with zero jobs now all the corporations have left?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:32 - Dec 7 with 1024 viewsfactual_blue

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:26 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Anyone who defends a system where Bezos is worth $110bn whilst his workers don't earn enough to live on and his company pays minimal tax on their profits is a proper tw@t.

I think I read somewhere recently that if, every day since the last dinosaur roamed the earth, an account for Bezos had $5000 put in it, that would still amount to less money than he has anyway.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:34 - Dec 7 with 1015 viewsLord_Lucan

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:32 - Dec 7 by J2BLUE

They've all gone on strike.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:35 - Dec 7 with 1014 viewsHerbivore

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:20 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Many of whom are propped up by government benefits because they aren't paid a genuine living wage. Let's also not pretend that Amazon wouldn't be employing people in the UK if they actually paid a fair share of tax, we're a huge market for them. I detest all the excuses that get made for companies that make billions in profit and do all they can to avoid paying a reasonable rate of tax.

Edit - And as this has really boiled my piss, I'll ask the rhetorical question to whose benefit do you think they are employing people? It's not for charitable purposes, it's to help them generate massive profits. There's no altruism involved so let's not pretend that there is.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 11:24]

And rather than the economy collapsing if you don't bow down to giant multinationals, this is what happens: https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/ocasio-cortez-takes-victory-lap-after-amazon-go

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:37 - Dec 7 with 1011 viewsHerbivore

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:32 - Dec 7 by factual_blue

I think I read somewhere recently that if, every day since the last dinosaur roamed the earth, an account for Bezos had $5000 put in it, that would still amount to less money than he has anyway.

That's staggering. I think people who excuse that kind of grotesque wealth accumulation don't quite grasp the sums being talked about.

Corporation Tax in Europe on 12:33 - Dec 7 with 948 viewsfactual_blue

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:32 - Dec 7 by J2BLUE

And at 30%, it's no wonder Germany is an economic backwater.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Corporation Tax in Europe on 12:42 - Dec 7 with 937 viewslongtimefan

Corporation Tax in Europe on 12:33 - Dec 7 by factual_blue

And at 30%, it's no wonder Germany is an economic backwater.

Using the headline figure is pretty meaningless if you don’t know the scope! According to the fact check programme on R4 during the week the scope in most EU countries is much less than I’m UK.
Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:19 - Dec 7 with 904 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Corporation Tax in Europe on 11:13 - Dec 7 by grow_our_own

"If companies like Starbucks and Amazon don't pay tax, then they can do one."

Imagine if all Amazon's assets (eg data-centres) were in Germany, all its staff were in the US and all its sales occurred in the UK.

Then you taxed their profit, not by where they shifted it to, but where their real economic activity is: one third at the US corp tax rate since that's where its staff is, one third at the German tax rate since that's where its assets are, and one third at the British corp tax rate since that's where its revenue is received.

Fixed.

https://www.taxjustice.net/2019/11/21/unitary-tax-explained-infographic/

Very broadly that is where we’ll eventually end up. The OECDs most recent proposals are much more complex than that but the principle is along the lines you set out.

Will be interesting to see how the UK does as a result compared to now.
Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:24 - Dec 7 with 893 viewsPinewoodblue

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:19 - Dec 7 by PrideOfTheEast

Very broadly that is where we’ll eventually end up. The OECDs most recent proposals are much more complex than that but the principle is along the lines you set out.

Will be interesting to see how the UK does as a result compared to now.

Don't online purchases from Amazon UK get recorded as being purchased from Amazon Luxembourg.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:28 - Dec 7 with 887 viewsLord_Lucan

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:24 - Dec 7 by Pinewoodblue

Don't online purchases from Amazon UK get recorded as being purchased from Amazon Luxembourg.

Our commission bills are from Luxembourg.

Amazon is nothing short of incredible and can be your best friend or worst enemy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:28 - Dec 7 with 887 viewsnoggin

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:24 - Dec 7 by Pinewoodblue

Yeah but they employ warehouse workers on zero hours contracts so they are good iinit.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:41 - Dec 7 with 863 viewsWeWereZombies

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:28 - Dec 7 by Lord_Lucan

Amazon is nothing short of incredible and can be your best friend or worst enemy.

Amazon is convenient but I was reading in Which? that they (and Ebay too) are the major outlet for faux brand products assembled in Guangzhou which can be well below the consumer standards we are used to - as I know to my cost. Bought a fridge earlier in the year which was, comparatively , cheap. However a couple of months later I heard a radio item about fire risks due to plastic backing on products like this. Checked - yep, a plastic back coated over to look like metal. Then the Which report which detailed how stuff like the fridge I bought is assembled from modular components bought off the shelf. Perhaps the assemblers know what they are doing, perhaps they don't. In the case of a fridge that has a freezer compartment that only works sometimes I am going for the second option.

In fairness to Amazon they have published my one star review.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 13:47]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:57 - Dec 7 with 831 viewsLord_Lucan

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:41 - Dec 7 by WeWereZombies

Amazon is convenient but I was reading in Which? that they (and Ebay too) are the major outlet for faux brand products assembled in Guangzhou which can be well below the consumer standards we are used to - as I know to my cost. Bought a fridge earlier in the year which was, comparatively , cheap. However a couple of months later I heard a radio item about fire risks due to plastic backing on products like this. Checked - yep, a plastic back coated over to look like metal. Then the Which report which detailed how stuff like the fridge I bought is assembled from modular components bought off the shelf. Perhaps the assemblers know what they are doing, perhaps they don't. In the case of a fridge that has a freezer compartment that only works sometimes I am going for the second option.

In fairness to Amazon they have published my one star review.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 13:47]

We dipped our toes in the Amazon market a couple of years ago and the sales are phenomenal. It isn't just our own listings but wholesale customers who list our products on there.

We have one £10 RRP product that goes mad on there this time of year, to give you an example - We sell this product to some multiples and our biggest high st retailer sells an average of 100 units a month throughout each of their stores. We have two big Amazon customers who will sell 5000 units each between October - Christmas.

We have another product that is pretty big on Amazon but such is the competition that we have incredible wars on there. last month we had a situation where rival competitors selling this product were altering each others listings in the dead of night - so say a seller was offering 50 pieces at a tenner a rival would temporarily piggy back the listing and change the offer to 200 pieces at a tenner and then jumping off the listing. So the original seller will wake up to see that their listing has been changed and all the orders they received overnight they will lose money on. They then have the choice of losing money or not sending the orders and risk Amazon kicking them off.

If you haven't got a certain % of positive feedback on Amazon they will kick you off from September to Christmas and you are fcked - and good luck with trying to start a new account as they monitor companies house, IP addresses and bank details.

Fall out with Amazon and you are screwed.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 13:59]

Corporation Tax in Europe on 14:01 - Dec 7 with 815 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Corporation Tax in Europe on 13:28 - Dec 7 by Lord_Lucan

I must be the only person in this nation of ours who has never (knowingly) used Amazon for anything, ever, not a thing.

Does this make me strange, or can i just have a smug smile of satisfaction knowing that i,m not contributing to Bezos wealth, ever, in any way whatsoever.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Corporation Tax in Europe on 14:25 - Dec 7 with 765 viewsLord_Lucan

Corporation Tax in Europe on 14:01 - Dec 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

I must be the only person in this nation of ours who has never (knowingly) used Amazon for anything, ever, not a thing.

Does this make me strange, or can i just have a smug smile of satisfaction knowing that i,m not contributing to Bezos wealth, ever, in any way whatsoever.

You are a bit odd, but you always were PBB

You really can get bargains off Amazon, people will walk into somewhere like Debenhams and try something on to make sure it fits and then go home and buy it off Amazon for half the price. Debenhams and the like are used as a showroom or fitting room for Amazon sellers.

We have one wholesale customer for example who buys just one product off us and they spend about £600 a week on average. They only sell this product on Amazon, they also list another 100+ products on Amazon so they are taking series money - and they are working out of their house. Our warehouse is in Dorset and they are in Bournemouth so they are 20 mins down the road, a few months back our courier lost their delivery and they were screaming so we sent one of the packing bods down there pronto to deliver, their house by all accounts was stacked to the ceiling with cartons in every room.

The high street is dead - and the only person who could save it is also dead.

Corporation Tax in Europe on 14:55 - Dec 7 with 704 viewsBent_double

Corporation Tax in Europe on 14:01 - Dec 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

I can't claim to have never bought from Amazon, but I make every effort not to - must be 4 years or more since I last ordered from them.

However, I do buy from ebay a lot, usually things I cannot buy anywhere locally, and some items do arrive in Amazon packaging (recycled, I guess).

Don't think any of the political parties have mentioned an 'Amazon' tax in their manifestos - I won't have a problem if a few % was added to every purchase, surely it would raise billions in tax for the government.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024