Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FM20 11:06 - Dec 8 with 2698 viewsclive_baker

Anyone playing?

Just finished my 1st season as Town, won L1 relatively easily. 2 defeats all season. Didn't do a lot by way of transfers, trimmed the squad selling Roberts, Jackson, Rowe, Donacien, Edwards for a combined £1.5m in the first transfer window and signed Jordan Rhodes on loan.

Tried to adopt a tika taka style but after a slow start I binned that off and went to a direct 4-4-2, lumping balls at Will Keane's head and getting players off him.

Kenlock was the surprise of the season, ended up being a central defensive partner to Chambers and been brilliant.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FM20 on 11:19 - Dec 8 with 2662 viewscarlisleaway

Can I have whatever you have been drinking
FM20 on 16:04 - Dec 13 with 2414 viewsclive_baker

Update, because I know you've all been desperately waiting for one since I posted this:

6th 2nd season, managed to sneak into the playoffs on the final day, thanks to a 94th minute winner from Lord Dozzell. Absolute scenes. Lost in the playoff semi to Derby, who subsequently lost the final. Last night was a wonderful excuse to stay up playing FM, whilst pretending to the wife it was because I was engaged in the election.

Think i'll give Town another season in the Championship, if I can't get promotion I'll move on. ME can't match my ambition, I'm going to the top man.

Anyone else got a save on the go?

FM20 on 16:07 - Dec 13 with 2396 viewsTractorCam

FM20 on 16:04 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

Update, because I know you've all been desperately waiting for one since I posted this:

6th 2nd season, managed to sneak into the playoffs on the final day, thanks to a 94th minute winner from Lord Dozzell. Absolute scenes. Lost in the playoff semi to Derby, who subsequently lost the final. Last night was a wonderful excuse to stay up playing FM, whilst pretending to the wife it was because I was engaged in the election.

Think i'll give Town another season in the Championship, if I can't get promotion I'll move on. ME can't match my ambition, I'm going to the top man.

I will be getting it soon! I had FM16 and wasn't brilliant so keen to give it another try. Any tips?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

FM20 on 16:07 - Dec 13 with 2395 viewsSwansea_Blue

Derby losing a PO final? This is pretty realistic then!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FM20 on 16:17 - Dec 13 with 2371 viewsKieran_Knows

Got it at the weekend but haven't even got round to installing yet. Will give it a good go at Xmas, but my save idea at the minute is with RB Salzburg in Austria, but trying to go for world domination with the other RB sides (Leipzig, Red Bulls in America and RB Brasil). Controversial I know, but want to see if we can win the league in all nations (Austria should be easy if I keep the squad together).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

FM20 on 16:24 - Dec 13 with 2360 viewsitfcjoe

I'm still in my first season - playing an attacking 433 formation and top of the league with 6 to play.

I should be out of sight, but despite a 25 game unbeaten run I thin conspired to pick up 4 points across a 7 game spell in January-February. Nip and tuck at the top of the league with Lincoln and Doncaster and my form isn't great still. Should make top 2 though.

Gwion Edwards has 18 goals from right wing for me which has been handy, him and garbutt my stand out performers

EDIT - Were your board ridiculously harsh on you? My overall performance has veered between a C- and a D all season despite being in the top 2 for nearly all of it! If I don't go up I'll be amazed if I'm not sacked
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 16:27]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FM20 on 16:25 - Dec 13 with 2359 viewsMJallday

i stopped playing them after championship manager 2000. it all got too realistic.

theres no way on earth you can do a season in an evening and win every match 8-0 with the realism in todays sim games

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

FM20 on 16:49 - Dec 13 with 2326 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

FM20 on 16:24 - Dec 13 by itfcjoe

I'm still in my first season - playing an attacking 433 formation and top of the league with 6 to play.

I should be out of sight, but despite a 25 game unbeaten run I thin conspired to pick up 4 points across a 7 game spell in January-February. Nip and tuck at the top of the league with Lincoln and Doncaster and my form isn't great still. Should make top 2 though.

Gwion Edwards has 18 goals from right wing for me which has been handy, him and garbutt my stand out performers

EDIT - Were your board ridiculously harsh on you? My overall performance has veered between a C- and a D all season despite being in the top 2 for nearly all of it! If I don't go up I'll be amazed if I'm not sacked

I was sacked in March for being 3rd, a point off 2nd. It seemed very harsh but I had managed to annoy half the squad by selling Danny Rowe, so there was little support for me in the dressing room.
Plymouth hired me almost straight away to steer them away from relegation (appointed with 6 to play and they were 2 points off bottom in League Two). Was a very easy task with a squad that was meant for promotion.

Currently gutting the plymouth squad's old stalwarts to bring in fresh blood for a promotion push. Although the board are happy with a top half finish. Dobra on loan has been a critical signing so far.

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Login to get fewer ads

FM20 on 16:51 - Dec 13 with 2318 viewsBigManBlue

OP, who did you have on the wings in your first season?

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

FM20 on 17:42 - Dec 13 with 2259 viewsclive_baker

FM20 on 16:07 - Dec 13 by TractorCam

I will be getting it soon! I had FM16 and wasn't brilliant so keen to give it another try. Any tips?

Tip for season 1 is don't try and reinvent the wheel, I hardly tinkered and walked it. Neither Norwood, Jackson or Sears score too many either in mine, so strengthen up top. Moved Jackson on early to Sunderland and he's done nothing for them. Let Keane go after 1st season too, he was bang average. Still have Norwood and Sears but they're not starting. I signed Quaner on loan and he's either garbage or scores 3. Nothing in between!

FM20 on 17:44 - Dec 13 with 2256 viewsclive_baker

FM20 on 16:51 - Dec 13 by BigManBlue

OP, who did you have on the wings in your first season?

I played a diamond in my first season. Skuse at the base, Dozzell (incredible!) and Downes / Huws (both OK, not spectacular) and Judge at the top (excellent). Garbutt and KVY were great bombing on from full back.

FM20 on 17:45 - Dec 13 with 2252 viewsclive_baker

FM20 on 16:24 - Dec 13 by itfcjoe

Yeah. I tried to take the Trophy a bit seriously which wasn't the best idea as it didn't count towards my appraisal, but the likely consequence was I went out the FA cup in R2 (expected R3). I say likely as I might've gone out anyway. But yeah, despite being top most of the season they were only 'satisfied'. Ungrateful sods.

They're much happier in season 2 as the aim was to try and survive, and I was in the top 10 most of the season and nabbed playoffs. Not sure how I can improve much though given a modest budget. I brought Bart back for season 2 and he was excellent.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 17:49]

FM20 on 18:28 - Dec 13 with 2191 viewsitfcjoe

FM20 on 17:45 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

Yeah. I tried to take the Trophy a bit seriously which wasn't the best idea as it didn't count towards my appraisal, but the likely consequence was I went out the FA cup in R2 (expected R3). I say likely as I might've gone out anyway. But yeah, despite being top most of the season they were only 'satisfied'. Ungrateful sods.

They're much happier in season 2 as the aim was to try and survive, and I was in the top 10 most of the season and nabbed playoffs. Not sure how I can improve much though given a modest budget. I brought Bart back for season 2 and he was excellent.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 17:49]

I’ve just managed to lose my penultimate game of the season 7-3. Whenever I play Toto I get stuffed as he is too slow for my high line and I don’t like to adjust!

Final day of the season - am top with 81 points (+26), Blackpool 2nd on 81 (+20) and Lincoln 3rd on 80 (+22)

If I go into the play offs I’m screwed as can’t defend - at one point I’d only let in 7 goals after 17 games, now it is 46 in 43 so something gone badly wrong

I’m home to MK Dons (10th)

FM20 on 18:38 - Dec 13 with 2180 viewsWestcountryblue

4 seasons in and now just preparing for life in the premiership. Lankester, Bishop and Dozzell all worth well over 10m. Been given 34m to spend in the premiership. Vincent Young, Keane, Judge, Kenlock and Woolfenden all still making contributions
FM20 on 18:59 - Dec 13 with 2153 viewsitfcjoe

FM20 on 18:28 - Dec 13 by itfcjoe

I’ve just managed to lose my penultimate game of the season 7-3. Whenever I play Toto I get stuffed as he is too slow for my high line and I don’t like to adjust!

Final day of the season - am top with 81 points (+26), Blackpool 2nd on 81 (+20) and Lincoln 3rd on 80 (+22)

If I go into the play offs I’m screwed as can’t defend - at one point I’d only let in 7 goals after 17 games, now it is 46 in 43 so something gone badly wrong

I’m home to MK Dons (10th)

Champions!

3-1 win over MK Dons - Downes, Woolfie and Edwards 20th of the season.

Time to sign some fast defenders for the Championship

FM20 on 19:08 - Dec 13 with 2140 viewsTractorboy24

Finished top and won EFL Trophy playing 442 with a diamond in my first season.

Main changes was that I sold all the wingers like Edwards & Rowe, plus Sears dues to being surplus in my system (playing a target man & poacher Norwood first choice & Lankester back up with Morris) I brought in Toney, Sweeting (CB from Forrest Green) and Archer in goal. Norwood smashed in 35 goals for me and the stand out player was Downes developing.

Second season I was mid table, partly due to losing Woolfenden to a broken leg in first game and my main signing of Whatmore also being injured for 2 months. I then got offered the Leicester job, they were 18th, took the job and finished mid table, next season I managed to finish 7th and got in to Europe. I then have gone a bit wonder kid crazy and I’ve got a decent side but it’s supplemented with too many youngsters (my squad’s average age is 21 with Schmeichel my oldest player in my reserves because I can’t get rid of him) and I’m probably about to get sacked.

This is all on the mobile though, which may skew things like budgets & fees received.
FM20 on 19:17 - Dec 13 with 2128 viewsBlueastheycome

I got sacked in 16th place in league 1 which genuinely astounded me.

Started up another save with Rangers and got sacked in 9th place.

I did nothing dramatic at either of them to warrant that and I think the game just hates me!
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 19:19]
FM20 on 21:16 - Dec 13 with 2050 viewsclive_baker

FM20 on 18:59 - Dec 13 by itfcjoe

Champions!

3-1 win over MK Dons - Downes, Woolfie and Edwards 20th of the season.

Time to sign some fast defenders for the Championship

Get in! Bet Degeros is bouncing!

FM20 on 21:21 - Dec 13 with 2042 viewsclive_baker

FM20 on 19:17 - Dec 13 by Blueastheycome

I got sacked in 16th place in league 1 which genuinely astounded me.

Started up another save with Rangers and got sacked in 9th place.

I did nothing dramatic at either of them to warrant that and I think the game just hates me!
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 19:19]

16th in L1, damn straight you're getting sacked! Imagine TWTD, we're 2nd and some folk want Lambert gone!

FM20 on 21:54 - Dec 13 with 2015 viewsBlueastheycome

FM20 on 21:21 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

16th in L1, damn straight you're getting sacked! Imagine TWTD, we're 2nd and some folk want Lambert gone!

I meant I was astounded at how badly I was doing for absolutely no reason at all- not astounded that I got the boot!
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 21:55]
FM20 on 00:50 - Dec 14 with 1925 viewstractordownsouth

First year I won the league, and binned off Rowe and Jackson.

Second year I signed Garbutt on a perm, along with Luke O Nien ( Sunderland RB), Harry Brockbank ( Bolton CB), Michael Duffy ( Dundalk winger) and Fejiri Okenabirhie ( Shrewsbury striker) The latter scored 20 goals in the championship and is now worth 7x more than what I paid for him. I did get screwed over by the amount of transfer revenue I was allowed to keep although that's standard for Town... I sold Edwards to Hibs for £1m and got 48k of that to spend. I also successfully retrained El Mizouni as a right winger. We finished 15th and lost in the FA Cup Quarter Finals.

I'm currently halfway through the third season and am in 9th place. I sold Jackson, Judge and Bart in order to balance the books and then bought Bright Osayi Samuel for £2m. The season has gone quite well so far, but I'm finding scouting quite hard to do, if anyone wants to give any tips?

I play a 4-4-2 Control Possession and alternate between cautious and positive depending on opponent.Ben Folami and Zak Brown have both scored 6 league goals halfway through the third season which is promising.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

FM20 on 00:53 - Dec 14 with 1923 viewstractordownsouth

FM20 on 17:42 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

Tip for season 1 is don't try and reinvent the wheel, I hardly tinkered and walked it. Neither Norwood, Jackson or Sears score too many either in mine, so strengthen up top. Moved Jackson on early to Sunderland and he's done nothing for them. Let Keane go after 1st season too, he was bang average. Still have Norwood and Sears but they're not starting. I signed Quaner on loan and he's either garbage or scores 3. Nothing in between!

Keane and Jackson were decent for me in L1 but are average Championship forwards - I sold Jackson for £2.5m to Rotherham. Norwood struggled in L1, he's currently in the last year of his deal, on loan at Forest Green.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024