Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we going up or what, then? 09:51 - Dec 9 with 1615 viewschicoazul

Are we? Or are we seeing us slowly, but surely, cock it up week by week?

We arent scoring enough goals. Jackson has dried up, Norwood has dried up. Feels like KVY rapidly became such an important player for us and him not being in seems to have drained us of a lot of energy and pace. Our defence is still pretty good of course, although the policy of constant GK change seems a bit mad to me, especially when Holy had a clean sheet and by accounts a good performance in the Wycombe game.

Our form over the last 6 is mid table. Lambo really does need to put a good run together over some very tough games (including Wycombe and Pompey away) between now and Acrington at home on the 11th. Or we really could be in the doo-doo by that point.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are we going up or what, then? on 09:54 - Dec 9 with 1599 viewsKieran_Knows

We'll finish top, by a comfortable 5 points.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Are we going up or what, then? on 09:57 - Dec 9 with 1585 viewsMrTown

Think we will stumble alonmg the line in true Ipswich style.

I do think the league is poor, although we are currently stumbling along we are still second comfortably with a game in hand.

Not too much to grumble about.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Are we going up or what, then? on 09:59 - Dec 9 with 1566 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

In a bad run of form, but at the start of the season countless people said we would struggle to make the play offs and this league is far harder than fans appreciate.

....so compared to the pre-season rhetoric, we are doing ok.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:00 - Dec 9 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Blue

Given the depth of his/her passion for our club, and obvious depth of understanding about football in general, I think BlueAsTory is best placed to answer this

You've hit the nail on the head. We need to turn things around a bit. I haven't projected out what would happen if we continue to accrue points at the recent rate, but I suspect we'd possibly be in danger of not making the playoffs.

Jackson and Norwood was working ok as a partnership .Although it seems a long time since they were scoring, they've only gone 2 games without scoring when they've both started (Rochdale and Wycombe). If they're not getting much game time together, we can't be overly surprised that the partnership isn't developing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:05 - Dec 9 with 1546 viewsBluefish

If the manager will finally pick a shape and style we will go up comfortably, if not we risk slipping down

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:06 - Dec 9 with 1554 viewsSomethingBlue

I think we'll go up — our form over the last 18 is second place with four points' gap and a game in hand. We'll have our stutters but if (*if*) this is what counts as a bad patch I'm fine with it. There are issues but we have taken to L1 far more brightly than most teams that go down. What I'd like to see now is a little more continuity in key areas, for league games anyway, and to me the Downes-Dozzell-Nolan midfield looks a good place to start.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2019 10:06]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:08 - Dec 9 with 1541 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think we will finish second.

But my god if we go up this squad is going to need serious help. We will probably then struggle in the Champ and Lambert will be gone by Christmas.

Hope I am wrong about the second part of course.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:10 - Dec 9 with 1528 viewschicoazul

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:06 - Dec 9 by SomethingBlue

I think we'll go up — our form over the last 18 is second place with four points' gap and a game in hand. We'll have our stutters but if (*if*) this is what counts as a bad patch I'm fine with it. There are issues but we have taken to L1 far more brightly than most teams that go down. What I'd like to see now is a little more continuity in key areas, for league games anyway, and to me the Downes-Dozzell-Nolan midfield looks a good place to start.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2019 10:06]

You'd leave out Skuse?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:15 - Dec 9 with 1515 viewsSomethingBlue

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:10 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

You'd leave out Skuse?

That's really difficult, you see, but I think there has to be a time when we give that setup a few games because CS won't be around for a whole lot longer. Seems at the moment like this is a good chance to see if we can survive without CS on a semi-regular basis and give Andre a proper run alongside Downes, who he clearly works well with. If it doesn't work, then fair enough.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:30 - Dec 9 with 1464 viewsDyland

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:10 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

You'd leave out Skuse?

Rotate him out innit*. Dozzers' time has come. If he can't be a regular here he's off, and quite fairly/rightly. He's starting to get into a groove.

*big fan of Cole btw.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I think we'll be in the mix..... on 10:31 - Dec 9 with 1469 viewsBloots

....for the play offs with Blackpool, Wycombe, Rotherham, Coventry, Bristol, Oxford etc.

I suspect that Peterborough and Portsmouth will gradually pull clear of the pack.

Just my opinion obviously.

If we do make the play offs, Lambert will probably rest players in the semi final, for the final, and play a different keeper in each match.

This, coupled with the fact that it will be live on the box, will see us lose.

Bah humbug.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I think we'll have a much better idea.... on 10:31 - Dec 9 with 1466 viewsunstableblue

.... at 5pm on Weds 1st January.

If we park the Coventry FA cup home game, where I expect we may see a more B team than that selected at St Andrews (which was: Norris, Donacien, Woolfenden, Wilson, Garbutt, Downes (c), Dozzell, Nolan, Rowe, Judge, Keane)

The we have the following league games:
Sat 14 Dec 3:00pm Bristol Rovers H
Sat 21 Dec 3:00pm Portsmouth A
Thu 26 Dec 3:00pm Gillingham H
Sun 29 Dec 3:00pm Lincoln City A
Wed 1 Jan 3:00pm Wycombe Wanderers A

This is pretty intense... a game every 3.8 days! Against a form team, and two leading sides.

Perhaps this series of games is where Lambert's much maligned rotation will come into its own. Or fall on its face. Certainly the 'back-up' players in Keane, Dozzell, Judge and Wilson should be bang on it (And Donacien is not playing all the time), and the likes of Jackson and Norwood have had limited games - which can be seen as positive and negative.

Perhaps we will be fresher? only time will tell.

It feels like Town's pass and move game is progressing (which was essential, following years of decay), but we keep only putting in 45mins displays (albeit very promising ones), and the system/selection* often lack of bite and converting good play into chances remains a concern, plus ability to concede.

*Edwards, why?!

I think come 5pm on Weds 1st January and we're still in the top two, and with at least 3 wins and a couple of draws, and perhaps two COMPREHENSIVE displays, then I think this board will be a better place, and we'll feel the answer to 'Are we going up or what?' will feel more like YES!
If we've wobble and the same questions are being asked... then not a good start to a key year - 2020. I do hope at least people don't continue to malign this league and the quality (reffing aside) and start to realise that we have no god given right to succeed given how woeful Town has been as a club for so long.

Wibble wibble.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Arf on 10:32 - Dec 9 with 1458 viewsDyland

I think we'll be in the mix..... on 10:31 - Dec 9 by Bloots

....for the play offs with Blackpool, Wycombe, Rotherham, Coventry, Bristol, Oxford etc.

I suspect that Peterborough and Portsmouth will gradually pull clear of the pack.

Just my opinion obviously.

If we do make the play offs, Lambert will probably rest players in the semi final, for the final, and play a different keeper in each match.

This, coupled with the fact that it will be live on the box, will see us lose.

Bah humbug.

Up vote for the sheer comedic misery Blooters.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Are we going up or what, then? on 10:39 - Dec 9 with 1439 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely our 'blip' is just a factor of having to play everyone twice? Having started with some cushy games against poor teams we have had a run against slightly better teams - and had a few draws.

Unless a team like Peterborough puts together a run in the New Year, Town are sitting pretty comfortably surely - and may even start to play well again at some time.

The problem is probably that too much hype makes the players and manager think they are better than they are.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Are we going up or what, then? on 11:33 - Dec 9 with 1315 viewsGuthrum

Our run of draws has coincided with us playing Blackpool, Wycombe and Coventry, three of the top six. We might not have gained anything on them, but neither have they on us.

Meanwhile, we're winning over 70% of our games against teams below that.

Draw with the top six, beat the rest and keep losses to a minimum, we will be in with a very good shout of automatic promotion come May.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we going up or what, then? on 11:34 - Dec 9 with 1309 viewsartsbossbeard

Yep, we're going up.

Maybe even 2 trips to Wembley.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Are we going up or what, then? on 16:40 - Dec 9 with 1160 viewsSouperJim

Think it's useful to reflect on the fact that we are 13th in the Home table, 1st in the Away table. Home fans are clearly not seeing the performances that have put us where we are.

Sides are going to keep coming to Portman Road and raise their game. But we've only been beaten once, just need to turn some of those draws into wins. Let's have it right, we would have beaten Wycombe with any vaguely competent refereeing performance and be only 1 point off top with a game in hand.

The extent of the squad rotation and lack of momentum is a worry, but if we can have a crap run like this and more or less maintain our position, then we should be ok. I think we can count ourselves pretty unlucky to only have 2 points from our last 2 league games, but it's points on the board that count so we need to turn the corner a bit and pick up a win or two soon. I think it's coming, starting Saturday against Bristol who have suffered 4 of their 5 defeats away from home.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Are we going up or what, then? on 16:41 - Dec 9 with 1155 viewsActionMan

Are we going up or what, then? on 09:54 - Dec 9 by Kieran_Knows

We'll finish top, by a comfortable 5 points.

Just like we were 20 odd points off the drop last season? Twtd.
Are we going up or what, then? on 17:37 - Dec 9 with 1113 viewschicoazul

Are we going up or what, then? on 09:57 - Dec 9 by MrTown

Think we will stumble alonmg the line in true Ipswich style.

I do think the league is poor, although we are currently stumbling along we are still second comfortably with a game in hand.

Not too much to grumble about.

True Ipswich style is cocking it up though, certainly in the Banter Era,

Are we going up or what, then? on 17:44 - Dec 9 with 1101 viewsDarth_Koont

Still just about odds on, I reckon.

But we're having a mini-slump that we need to get out of before we find ourselves caught up in the pack.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024