Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. 10:02 - Dec 11 with 4502 viewsjasondozzell

I don't normally post on anything other than the football (are we ever going to have an FA cup run again?), but I feel so strongly about this.

I am 34. I have a season ticket and up until recently went to as many away games as I could get to. I was excited about this season even though it's been a shock to find ourselves in League 1. The first half against Sunderland was especially promising. I went to Burton away and Posh. The only problem was I had begun to notice I was a bit breathless when celebrating goals and that I wasn't feeling very well at times. I went to the doctor and was referred to the hospital.

At the beginning of September I was told I had cancer. I had to wait 4 weeks from the day that I was told I had a cancerous tumour until the appointment when I saw the consultant who would tell me if it was treatable or not. That's not because they didn't do the scan - they did that almost straight away - but because there is a national shortage of radiologists in this country to read scans. They can't process the scans quickly enough. As you can imagine those four weeks were really tough.

My cancer was stage 3 but was treatable. I am undergoing chemotherapy now. I've been quite ill but I'm still going to home games when I can - they mean even more now. I wish I could go to away games like I used to but I'm not well enough at the moment.

The NHS staff, all of them from the receptionists to the consultants, have been brilliant. I have had amazing care. They have looked after me at every step and continue to do so. But they are under immense pressure. In the chemo lounge the nurses work tirelessly to treat everyone. You can see they are close to breaking point with the amount of people they are treating.

The NHS is one of this country's greatest achievements; perhaps even the greatest. The Tory cuts are putting it in grave danger and I'm terrified of what will happen if we have 5 more years of a Tory government.

Labour will pay the nurses and other staff the wage they deserve. They will reinstate the nursing bursary. They will invest money in new staff and infrastructure. And they won't let it the NHS be sold off or privatised.

It's surely not right that in the fifth richest country in the world someone should have to wait 4 weeks to see a consultant who can tell them if their cancer is treatable after diagnosis.

Please don't vote Tory tomorrow. Please vote Labour and help to save our NHS.

Coyb.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 12:23]
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:09 - Dec 11 with 2714 viewschicoazul

Best wishes to you with your treatment and recovery, friend.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:10 - Dec 11 with 2709 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:09 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Best wishes to you with your treatment and recovery, friend.

Thank you! Hope to be better in time for when we win the league!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 2694 viewsJakeITFC

Good luck mate.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 2689 viewschicoazul

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:10 - Dec 11 by jasondozzell

Thank you! Hope to be better in time for when we win the league!

Ha! You'll be there as Chambers hoists the Football League trophy and the League 1 trophy over his head on the bus mate.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:12 - Dec 11 with 2679 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:11 - Dec 11 by JakeITFC

Good luck mate.

Thank you!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:12 - Dec 11 with 2680 viewsSteve_M

Best wishes to you for your recovery.

Yes, nine years of "austerity" have cut every part of the British state to a level where not only the NHS, but the military, police, prisons, probation service, courts and education are completely stretched and in need of proper funding.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:12 - Dec 11 with 2675 viewsartsbossbeard

I wish you all the best. Good luck on your journey!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:13 - Dec 11 with 2669 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:11 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Ha! You'll be there as Chambers hoists the Football League trophy and the League 1 trophy over his head on the bus mate.

I will be! Cheers mate!
Login to get fewer ads

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:14 - Dec 11 with 2663 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:12 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

Best wishes to you for your recovery.

Yes, nine years of "austerity" have cut every part of the British state to a level where not only the NHS, but the military, police, prisons, probation service, courts and education are completely stretched and in need of proper funding.

Cheers! Yes, all of it is terrible. We need to fund our services properly!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:15 - Dec 11 with 2654 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:12 - Dec 11 by artsbossbeard

I wish you all the best. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! Hopefully timing it to coincide with us going up as champions...
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:19 - Dec 11 with 2630 viewswkj

It is a painful post to read. I lived amoungst poor people in Kansas for a time who would put more faith in God to get them through rather than risk financial ruin to go to the doctor, even with insurance the excess and limits are utterly stacked against them.

Although our tax is our fee to the NHS, I doubt that we would see a long lasting cut in taxes if the NHS became a private sector business. People often don't consider that health insurance has driven up the cost of medical care either, not to mention the pharmaceutical cess pool. I have a genuine fear the same would happen here too.

I hope you do get to feeling well soon, and I hope your experience serves as an eye opener for those who perceive people supporting the future of the NHS as sacrosanct poorly. My good lady works for the NHS and read your post over my shoulder and said that it is a real shame that the NHS cant be treated as well as a lot of good people working there treat the patients, even if the cards seem permanently stacked against the staff.

Chin up, Town up, and up yours to cancer.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 10:21]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:21 - Dec 11 with 2613 viewsjimmyvet

Wish you well and all the best for the future and glad to see the NHS staff are looking after you so well, my daughter is a nurse and she works harder and more unsociable hours then anybody I know but she loves caring for people like yourself 👍.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:22 - Dec 11 with 2612 viewshampstead_blue

Go well with your treatment.
COYB

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:24 - Dec 11 with 2594 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:19 - Dec 11 by wkj

It is a painful post to read. I lived amoungst poor people in Kansas for a time who would put more faith in God to get them through rather than risk financial ruin to go to the doctor, even with insurance the excess and limits are utterly stacked against them.

Although our tax is our fee to the NHS, I doubt that we would see a long lasting cut in taxes if the NHS became a private sector business. People often don't consider that health insurance has driven up the cost of medical care either, not to mention the pharmaceutical cess pool. I have a genuine fear the same would happen here too.

I hope you do get to feeling well soon, and I hope your experience serves as an eye opener for those who perceive people supporting the future of the NHS as sacrosanct poorly. My good lady works for the NHS and read your post over my shoulder and said that it is a real shame that the NHS cant be treated as well as a lot of good people working there treat the patients, even if the cards seem permanently stacked against the staff.

Chin up, Town up, and up yours to cancer.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 10:21]

Thank you! Completely agree. Think many people in this country don't quite appreciate what it is actually like in countries like the US. It is an industry designed to make money and big pharma etc wield so much power. Frightening to think about.

Thank your wife for the job she does! I have so much respect for those who work in the NHS and even more now.

Up the Town!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:27 - Dec 11 with 2583 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:21 - Dec 11 by jimmyvet

Wish you well and all the best for the future and glad to see the NHS staff are looking after you so well, my daughter is a nurse and she works harder and more unsociable hours then anybody I know but she loves caring for people like yourself 👍.

Thank you! Yes, the nurses are brilliant. Such an important job. Best wishes to your daughter!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:27 - Dec 11 with 2574 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:22 - Dec 11 by hampstead_blue

Go well with your treatment.
COYB

Thank you! Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:32 - Dec 11 with 2557 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well said and good luck with your treatment.

People won't really appreciate the NHS until it's gone or they can't afford to use it. When I was in the States a couple of years back I tore my calf and ended up, via a tortuous circular route of absolutely rubbish walk in centres, in ER. The ER tratment was superb - no wait at all, straight in and seen by 2 senior docs, a nurse and a somebody who stayed with me and wheeled me around. 4-to-1 attention.

But that was the only good bit. I spend a fortune, despite having health insurance. I had to go (hop) into town and find a medical suplies store to buy my own set of crutches for a $200+ and stretch bandages and the like. Equipment wasn't covered on the insurance. Then had a a few physio appointments (exceedingly quickly, the first was the same day as attending ER) but they cost another ~$200 a pop (also not on insurance, although after a long fight they did agree to pay half). All in all, I spent over $1,000 outside of insurance just on a dodgy calf.

I'm stil not sure I shouldn't have had surgery as it's not right still, but the thought of going back for that was too much.

The NHS is something we should all be proud of. It should be supported and not used as a political football, and we all should be paying more to improve it to the levels it should and could be at.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:33 - Dec 11 with 2552 viewsEdwardStone

Extremely sorry to hear that you are unwell.....very best wishes for a full recovery

Yours is an exceptional post, it clearly lays out the magnitude of the decisions facing us in the privacy of the polling booth tomorrow

Good Luck....COYB
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:37 - Dec 11 with 2542 viewspeterleeblue

Sincere Best wishes with your treatment.
I will be voting Labour (I was anyway).

However I do suspect a convincing Tory victory and over the cliff we go!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:37 - Dec 11 with 2539 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:33 - Dec 11 by EdwardStone

Extremely sorry to hear that you are unwell.....very best wishes for a full recovery

Yours is an exceptional post, it clearly lays out the magnitude of the decisions facing us in the privacy of the polling booth tomorrow

Good Luck....COYB

Thank you - I really appreciate that!

This election is so important.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:38 - Dec 11 with 2533 viewsitfcjoe

Good luck with everything JD.

Ignorance can often be bliss, until you get up and close and personal with the public services in this country you don't see how stretched a state they are in.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:40 - Dec 11 with 2526 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:37 - Dec 11 by peterleeblue

Sincere Best wishes with your treatment.
I will be voting Labour (I was anyway).

However I do suspect a convincing Tory victory and over the cliff we go!

Thank you!

I worry about the cliff edge too - but there's still hope!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:41 - Dec 11 with 2521 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:38 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

Good luck with everything JD.

Ignorance can often be bliss, until you get up and close and personal with the public services in this country you don't see how stretched a state they are in.

Thank you! Completely agree - we need to save these services so everyone gets the help and support they need.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:44 - Dec 11 with 2509 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 10:32 - Dec 11 by Swansea_Blue

Well said and good luck with your treatment.

People won't really appreciate the NHS until it's gone or they can't afford to use it. When I was in the States a couple of years back I tore my calf and ended up, via a tortuous circular route of absolutely rubbish walk in centres, in ER. The ER tratment was superb - no wait at all, straight in and seen by 2 senior docs, a nurse and a somebody who stayed with me and wheeled me around. 4-to-1 attention.

But that was the only good bit. I spend a fortune, despite having health insurance. I had to go (hop) into town and find a medical suplies store to buy my own set of crutches for a $200+ and stretch bandages and the like. Equipment wasn't covered on the insurance. Then had a a few physio appointments (exceedingly quickly, the first was the same day as attending ER) but they cost another ~$200 a pop (also not on insurance, although after a long fight they did agree to pay half). All in all, I spent over $1,000 outside of insurance just on a dodgy calf.

I'm stil not sure I shouldn't have had surgery as it's not right still, but the thought of going back for that was too much.

The NHS is something we should all be proud of. It should be supported and not used as a political football, and we all should be paying more to improve it to the levels it should and could be at.

Thank you! Excellent post - a v important reminder not to take the NHS for granted. We could be sleepwalking into a US style system if the Tories get 5 more years.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:06 - Dec 11 with 2465 viewsJ2BLUE

Already done my friend.

Get well soon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024