Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turn out at your local polling station? 09:16 - Dec 12 with 2511 viewsgiant_stow

Mine was busier - there was even a small queue.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:14 - Dec 12 with 978 viewsgordon

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:44 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

From my one visit just now I'd say it helps the party who is supported by the biggest chunk of the largest group of people who don't work

Think that might look a bit different this time - the other thing missing there is the % not voting - lots of people who you would think ought to be natural labour voters probably just won't bother this time.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:21 - Dec 12 with 968 viewsGuthrum

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:11 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

One old lady had to ask her husband to confirm it was the '2nd one down', then had the temerity to make sure he had done that and when he said he had still looked at his paper to check.

I guess he's had 60+ years of being told what to do!

Arguably, his vote is invalid, as he is being coerced and coached rather than expressing his own free and secret choice.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:22 - Dec 12 with 963 viewsFixed_It

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:18 - Dec 12 by lowhouseblue

mine had moved and I couldn't find it. i'll try again this evening.

I blame the Poles....

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:25 - Dec 12 with 962 viewsusm

We were the only ones in there, apart from numerous smiling "officials" - they love it.

My mate used to work for Norfolk CC - he loved elections, so much overtime.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:29 - Dec 12 with 944 viewsmr_bean

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:28 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

None of the options, today, will change anything the way I want things to be changed. Labour for instance continue to embrace the mad policy of comprehensive education for all which directly fails bright working-class children.

I know exactly what you're getting at. Comprehensive education, as it currently exists in this country, does fail many bright working-class kids.

However, the root of this specific failure of the comprehensive system is that it's not *truly* comprehensive. This is due to the existence of other types of school (particularly independent schools). If the entire schooling system were homogeneous (ie. all kids went to schools that were governed and run in exactly the same way), then the education system would be much fairer.

Unfortunately, the abolition of independent schools in this country is extremely unlikely to happen, and is even less likely with a Tory government. At least Labour have policies to try to address some of the imbalance and the two-speed society that independent schools promote. Surely that's a good enough reason to vote?
Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:40 - Dec 12 with 921 viewsPippin1970

Bigger turn ups projected after 5pm tonight.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:46 - Dec 12 with 905 viewsRyorry

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:24 - Dec 12 by gordon

Quite a lot of people reporting unusually long queues etc on social media - I suspect it might just be that people are more inclined to vote in the morning before work in mid-winter, rather than a pleasant stroll out to vote at 7pm on a balmy May evening.

I'm sensing a level of excitement about this GE that there hasn't been since 1997. Hoping that a similar joyous overturn is about to happen (I'm a born optimist!).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:48 - Dec 12 with 898 viewsSaleAway

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:46 - Dec 12 by Ryorry

I'm sensing a level of excitement about this GE that there hasn't been since 1997. Hoping that a similar joyous overturn is about to happen (I'm a born optimist!).

I think there's a high level of engagement, but I don't sense a lot of joy.... there's a lot of " anyone but" voting going on, which is never a great place to be

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:13 - Dec 12 with 880 viewsbritbiker

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:20 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

i'm not voting, and havent since 2010, so no idea.

I'm at work with my polling card on the window sill, still not sure if I can vote for any of the options.
I voted to stay in europe but don't buy the guff labour are saying about agreeing a new deal then having another vote. So a party who in general wish to remain, will put on the table a reasonable deal agreed with europe, who also wish us to stay. Then we can vote on that deal. Even as a remainer that smells dodgy.

If I vote tory the poorest in society are screwed. I've been around long enough to know thst if I vote labour the same old pattern of spending big will ensue and the unions will be exerting their influence and the strikes will follow. Liberals have just ignored the majority of the brexit vote, whatever your opinion of that vote may be. Just imagine the carnage done by just totally ingnoring the vote.
Voting used to be simpler in the old days.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:19 - Dec 12 with 871 viewsbritbiker

Turn out at your local polling station? on 09:24 - Dec 12 by gordon

Quite a lot of people reporting unusually long queues etc on social media - I suspect it might just be that people are more inclined to vote in the morning before work in mid-winter, rather than a pleasant stroll out to vote at 7pm on a balmy May evening.

Also they may be trying to avoid some of the twtd posters who are going to explode if the vote doesn't go their way by tonight. Tolerance of others opinions seems to be in short supply these days. This site could be a mess in the morning.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 11:22]
Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:24 - Dec 12 with 863 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:11 - Dec 12 by gordon

Probably conservatives - for Labour to win, they need to get their traditional voters out supporting them - I think in lots of traditional labour areas we'll see lower turnout, resulting in some seats in the Midlands/Wales/North going to the Conservatives for the first time. Conversely in some of the leafy home counties tory safe seats there may be really high turnout, resulting in a few surprising Tory losses, but not enough to compensate.

I am in IP2 9UA and I voted for Labour and always will do as I am from a family that have always cast their vote their way. Much as I would love a change in government, sadly I can only see Boris getting in. I voted at Vinnicombe Court and I was not the only young person there, so it gives me renewed hope. I am 35 and I have voted in each election.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:29 - Dec 12 with 855 viewschicoazul

Turn out at your local polling station? on 10:29 - Dec 12 by mr_bean

I know exactly what you're getting at. Comprehensive education, as it currently exists in this country, does fail many bright working-class kids.

However, the root of this specific failure of the comprehensive system is that it's not *truly* comprehensive. This is due to the existence of other types of school (particularly independent schools). If the entire schooling system were homogeneous (ie. all kids went to schools that were governed and run in exactly the same way), then the education system would be much fairer.

Unfortunately, the abolition of independent schools in this country is extremely unlikely to happen, and is even less likely with a Tory government. At least Labour have policies to try to address some of the imbalance and the two-speed society that independent schools promote. Surely that's a good enough reason to vote?

An education system such as you describe would, I think, drag ALL children down to piss-poor levels of comprehensive education rather than raise them up to anything like the education children enjoy at Grammar schools.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:45 - Dec 12 with 843 viewsmr_bean

Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:29 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

An education system such as you describe would, I think, drag ALL children down to piss-poor levels of comprehensive education rather than raise them up to anything like the education children enjoy at Grammar schools.

I disagree. Finland famously have a homogeneous education system, and they topped the PISA rankings not that long ago.

For the record, I'm completely in favour of grammar schools, *in the current system*. If you're lucky enough to live in an area that has one, your bright kid will undoubtedly be far more likely to completely fulfil their potential than if you sent them to the comprehensive school down the road.

Perversely, I would even advocate sending a child to an independent school if you could afford it and it was the best school in your area. Again, that would be *in the current system*.

The point is, like our voting system, the current education system is broken and unfair.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:53 - Dec 12 with 829 views26_Paz

Mine was busier ... maybe more people are voting in the morning ... Christmas party season etc?

The Paz Man

Turn out at your local polling station? on 13:05 - Dec 12 with 777 viewsflimflam

Turn out at your local polling station? on 11:24 - Dec 12 by newcastlefan1984

I am in IP2 9UA and I voted for Labour and always will do as I am from a family that have always cast their vote their way. Much as I would love a change in government, sadly I can only see Boris getting in. I voted at Vinnicombe Court and I was not the only young person there, so it gives me renewed hope. I am 35 and I have voted in each election.

Not all young people are non Labour / Lib Dem / Green

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Turn out at your local polling station? on 14:50 - Dec 12 with 736 viewsParky

Absolutely dead empty apart from me and the two volunteers early hours of this morning before going to work in relatively central Ipswich.
Turn out at your local polling station? on 17:57 - Dec 12 with 685 viewsslump

Parking rage between Barbour clad Range Rover drivers when I just went.

Tollerant bunch.....

UTT

Turn out at your local polling station? on 18:34 - Dec 12 with 668 viewsElephantintheRoom

MIne was empty at 5pm... one more came in after me... but it was dark and raining and this IS a commuter village... the tory voters will be back on the 1835 from Liverpool St

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Turn out at your local polling station? on 18:46 - Dec 12 with 652 viewspointofblue

Long queues at mine at 6pm - never seen anything like it. Usually I’m in, vote, go. Apparently it’s been like that since 10am and I’m in a safe Conservative seat.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Turn out at your local polling station? on 18:46 - Dec 12 with 652 viewsBlueAsTory

Felixstowe has had a very high turnout so far
Turn out at your local polling station? on 19:06 - Dec 12 with 639 viewsjeera

I showed up and the only voter in front of me was Santa Claus.

Or Father Christmas. I don't know how he identifies.

I do know he hadn't thought it through though, cos there were a load of kids mounting up outside waiting for him to come out.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Turn out at your local polling station? on 19:10 - Dec 12 with 632 viewsBloomBlue

Just in the pub and a group of 8 young lads came in downed a quick couple of beers and one asked, "any of you voted?" and only one said yes. The others said they couldn't bother and as it was the Christmas work drinks tonight they weren't going to give up on a load of free beers/drinks and hopefully some other benefits for voting. One of them said he felt guilty as he only registered a few weeks ago and two others replied 'same here'

What's the point of registering last minute to vote and then you dont bother to vote
Turn out at your local polling station? on 19:13 - Dec 12 with 623 viewsjeera

Turn out at your local polling station? on 19:10 - Dec 12 by BloomBlue

Just in the pub and a group of 8 young lads came in downed a quick couple of beers and one asked, "any of you voted?" and only one said yes. The others said they couldn't bother and as it was the Christmas work drinks tonight they weren't going to give up on a load of free beers/drinks and hopefully some other benefits for voting. One of them said he felt guilty as he only registered a few weeks ago and two others replied 'same here'

What's the point of registering last minute to vote and then you dont bother to vote

Then all we can hope for is that 5 years of Tory crap will mature them enough for the next time.

Experience can count sometimes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024