Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Lotto 11:14 - Dec 12 with 1883 viewsSuperfrans

As a bit of fun, I have asked all of my team at work (and our extended work teams) to predict the number of seats each of the 4 biggest parties will get. Fascinating so far - 10 votes, only 5 predicting a Conservative majority.

What does everyone else think? Here are the seats when Parliament was dissolved on Nov 6. Where do you all think they will end up?
Conservative - 298
Labour - 243
Lib Dem - 21
SNP - 35
Others - 53

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

General Election Lotto on 11:27 - Dec 12 with 1844 viewsnewcastlefan1984

I believe there will be a hung parliament where it will be close between the Tories (boo) and Labour.
General Election Lotto on 11:30 - Dec 12 with 1842 viewsbluelagos

As per my earlier prediction, the winners will get less than 50% of the vote, yet they and their supporters will claim this gives them a mandate to implement their rejected policies, irrespective.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

General Election Lotto on 11:31 - Dec 12 with 1831 viewshampstead_blue

Others 53?
Blimey....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

General Election Lotto on 11:34 - Dec 12 with 1824 viewsStokieBlue

General Election Lotto on 11:30 - Dec 12 by bluelagos

As per my earlier prediction, the winners will get less than 50% of the vote, yet they and their supporters will claim this gives them a mandate to implement their rejected policies, irrespective.

By that definition most governments in history would have no mandate and no government should have implemented anything.

It's not the way our system works. Fine to attack the system as it's rubbish but not entirely sure one can say a majority government has no mandate given the existing system.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

General Election Lotto on 11:38 - Dec 12 with 1814 viewsbluelagos

General Election Lotto on 11:34 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

By that definition most governments in history would have no mandate and no government should have implemented anything.

It's not the way our system works. Fine to attack the system as it's rubbish but not entirely sure one can say a majority government has no mandate given the existing system.

SB

Disagree. The system gives them a mandate but they are not legitimate mandates in my eyes.

And yes, that means almost all our governments have been elected without a proper mandate. A duopoly of red and blue governments imposing their policies irrespective of whether they were elected with minority public support.

General Election Lotto on 11:45 - Dec 12 with 1803 viewsNewcyBlue

General Election Lotto on 11:34 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Talking to one of the lads from Myanmar yesterday, he was saying they also have a FPTP system.

I found that interesting that what we deem as flawed, is seen in a better light elsewhere.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

General Election Lotto on 11:59 - Dec 12 with 1782 viewsStokieBlue

General Election Lotto on 11:45 - Dec 12 by NewcyBlue

Talking to one of the lads from Myanmar yesterday, he was saying they also have a FPTP system.

I found that interesting that what we deem as flawed, is seen in a better light elsewhere.

What were his thoughts on the frankly awful testimony of their PM at the Hague yesterday?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

General Election Lotto on 12:01 - Dec 12 with 1778 viewsSuperfrans

General Election Lotto on 11:31 - Dec 12 by hampstead_blue

Others 53?
Blimey....

That's primarily because of the large number of dissenters who left the Conservatives over their hard Brexit policy and became independents. There were only 23 "others" immediately after the last election.

Login to get fewer ads

General Election Lotto on 12:01 - Dec 12 with 1775 viewshampstead_blue

Is that a running race with the fasted soldier against the opposition who was in chains?

A very sad place.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

General Election Lotto on 12:03 - Dec 12 with 1773 viewshomer_123

General Election Lotto on 11:59 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

What were his thoughts on the frankly awful testimony of their PM at the Hague yesterday?

SB

Quite...shockingly bad and incredibly insensitive and further divisive as well as factually incorrect.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

General Election Lotto on 12:13 - Dec 12 with 1753 viewsGuthrum

General Election Lotto on 12:01 - Dec 12 by Superfrans

That's primarily because of the large number of dissenters who left the Conservatives over their hard Brexit policy and became independents. There were only 23 "others" immediately after the last election.

Most of whom have been readmitted to the party, have stood down or defected. Only very few are standing as Independents (Grieve being the most notable example).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

General Election Lotto on 12:19 - Dec 12 with 1737 viewsSuperfrans

General Election Lotto on 12:13 - Dec 12 by Guthrum

Most of whom have been readmitted to the party, have stood down or defected. Only very few are standing as Independents (Grieve being the most notable example).

Indeed. The numbers are simply how the seats stood on the date that parliament was dissolved, as per the UK Parliament website.

General Election Lotto on 12:31 - Dec 12 with 1720 viewsFixed_It

General Election Lotto on 11:27 - Dec 12 by newcastlefan1984

I believe there will be a hung parliament where it will be close between the Tories (boo) and Labour.

I'm hoping that, when push comes to shove, many people can't bring themselves to vote Tory despite the rhetoric of 'Get Brexit done!', because they realise what another 5 years of this lot will do to us. I'm hoping that their consciences will influence them to do the right thing for the many and not the few.

Hung parliament.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

General Election Lotto on 12:38 - Dec 12 with 1704 viewswkj

"others" have never been so important in recent years. The shape of the government could well come down to Wales tonight.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

General Election Lotto on 13:21 - Dec 12 with 1654 viewsNewcyBlue

General Election Lotto on 11:59 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

SB

He’s been on board 4 months and now has 4G, he’s more interested in trying to video call his Mrs when she’s naked....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

General Election Lotto on 13:44 - Dec 12 with 1630 viewsKropotkin123

I don't mean for this to be offensive. I don't think it is that interesting.

I'm sure if you give people the choice of being run by a colonial power, being run by a military dictatorship or FPTP then they will see the latter in a better light. Even if the latter has facilitated genocide.

That is essentially the last hundred years of Myanmar in a nutshell.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

General Election Lotto on 13:56 - Dec 12 with 1601 viewsbluelagos

General Election Lotto on 13:44 - Dec 12 by Kropotkin123

I don't mean for this to be offensive. I don't think it is that interesting.

I'm sure if you give people the choice of being run by a colonial power, being run by a military dictatorship or FPTP then they will see the latter in a better light. Even if the latter has facilitated genocide.

That is essentially the last hundred years of Myanmar in a nutshell.

That FPTP is better than a military dictator and/or colonial rule is hardly a ringing endorsement.

In fact, no one pretends the others work, unlike our shower of a system that returns undemocratic elected governments.

General Election Lotto on 14:01 - Dec 12 with 1597 viewsLord_Lucan

General Election Lotto on 12:38 - Dec 12 by wkj

"others" have never been so important in recent years. The shape of the government could well come down to Wales tonight.

I think that is one of the most depressing things I have ever read.

They'll all be singing inane rubbish at the top of their voice, Wales High Street will be packed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024