Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win 07:31 - Dec 13 with 587 viewsSteve_M

Four years of self-indulgence, a total lack of introspection and the failure to properly address racism within the party. When every opinion poll showed that the public as a whole didn't like Corbyn just hoping that the opposition was unpopular wasn't enough. That coupled with a manifesto that stretched plausibility leads us to a Labour collapse.

That many of those criticisms, and more, can be similarly directed at the Tory Party isn't, and should never have been, the point. Labour needed to be a credible opposition and they have failed totally.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:34 - Dec 13 with 563 viewswkj

While I still think that he got a lot of way over the top smear, I cant deny that both he and Swinson took a lot for granted in this campaign, ambiguity doesn't win elections, neither does complacency.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:35 - Dec 13 with 556 viewsDubtractor

The implausible manifesto was the main bug bear for me. Especially when they kept adding more to it.

Made it far too easy to criticise them as financially irresponsible. And I say that as someone who firmly believes in a larger, more supportive, state than we have now. Free fibre broadband for all ffs......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:36 - Dec 13 with 550 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

He has been s bit sh1t hasn't he.....would have preferred that Norwich one personally.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:40 - Dec 13 with 540 viewswkj

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:36 - Dec 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

He has been s bit sh1t hasn't he.....would have preferred that Norwich one personally.

Sadly I didn't get my deposit back last night and Norwich North was a hold, thanks for the Nicola sturgeon good luck card though. It is sitting proudly on my computer this morning.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:41 - Dec 13 with 536 viewsjimmyvet

Great post I do really fear no change though....the current leadership and their supporters will see this as some type of victory and I don’t see how these Marxists will be removed from the top of the Labour Party I really don’t.
The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:45 - Dec 13 with 533 viewsBloomBlue

This comment was in the Evening Standard 2 weeks ago I thought it summed it up nicely.

When they lose the Labour left will blame the BBC for its coverage. They will blame the Liberal Democrats for splitting the Remain vote, even though Labour doesn’t back Remain. They will blame voters themselves for being fooled. They will blame Blairites and Facebook algorithms, probably the Russians and the winter weather, Donald Trump, maybe Prince Andrew – anyone and anything other than the only thing they really have to blame, which is themselves.

Because there’s a reason why Labour is losing. It’s not that the country is enthusiastic for a Conservative government or that it isn’t looking for change. Nor is it the hardcore Leftism of an economically-lethal manifesto which, had it been reduced to four or five clear and simple offers, might even have been as popular as it would be impossible to make happen.

It’s simple, really. It’s Mr Corbyn that’s the problem, and he always has been

Candidates are hearing on doorstep after doorstep that voters do not like him, do not trust him and do not want to make him prime minister. And they are completely right about that. He isn’t in any way fit to do the job.

It’s not just the anti-Semitism over which he has presided,  or his sullen refusal to apologise for it, or his pathetic deceptions over his view on Brexit. It’s also his intolerance of difference which drove good Labour MPs out of the party, his past association with terrorists, and his Marxism.

Above all he is just not up to the basic requirements of being leader of the opposition – namely holding the Prime Minister to account and offering the country a credible alternative. 

Of course the hard Left will never admit any of this. Instead, they are preparing for defeat by strengthening their grip on the party. If the rest of the Labour movement let them, then they will continue to do what they have done in this campaign: be the handmaidens to a Boris Johnson government.
The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:46 - Dec 13 with 535 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

100% agree with this.

The cult of Jeremy Corbyn was bizarre, and Labour supporters who are bitter about the result have to reflect on their support of one of the poorest leaders in the history of politics.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:54 - Dec 13 with 506 viewsBlueBadger

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:36 - Dec 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

This is a bit like saying Paul Hurst could have done better.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 08:01 - Dec 13 with 489 viewsBluefish

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 07:35 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

The implausible manifesto was the main bug bear for me. Especially when they kept adding more to it.

Made it far too easy to criticise them as financially irresponsible. And I say that as someone who firmly believes in a larger, more supportive, state than we have now. Free fibre broadband for all ffs......

Me too. Labour needed to show that they have learned lessons from previous financial mistakes and they went the other way instead. Some of their stuff completely made sense but handing a mandate like that to Corbyn and McDonnell was a scary proposition, they don't like be swayed in their drive for complete control and I fear they were watering down some of their real plans to control and deal with those against them

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The real lesson of 2017 should have been that no-one thought Corbyn would win on 08:05 - Dec 13 with 478 viewsBluefish

But Corbyn "won" in 2017

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024