Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was reading the other day 08:41 - Dec 14 with 745 viewsonlymehere

And read that because the Labour Party are in such a state and it’s unknown who will be leader that it could be twenty years before there could ever be another Labour Government.
I’m amazed how far Corbyn has taken the Labour Party backwards still good luck with that you reap what you sow and thank goodness for that.
I was reading the other day on 08:43 - Dec 14 with 732 viewsvapour_trail

If you read it then it’s correct.

That’s how it works isn’t it.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I was reading the other day on 08:44 - Dec 14 with 728 viewslowhouseblue

all else given you would assume that it's impossible to pull the scale of this defeat back in one election - so the tories would be secure for 10 years. but brexit adds a big unknown. when brexit has fully happened everything may re-settle a little. boris is instinctively right that lots of votes are much more on loan this time than when people made more of an idealogical shift to vote for thatcher.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I was reading the other day on 08:50 - Dec 14 with 704 viewsMVBlue

I was reading the other day on 08:44 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

all else given you would assume that it's impossible to pull the scale of this defeat back in one election - so the tories would be secure for 10 years. but brexit adds a big unknown. when brexit has fully happened everything may re-settle a little. boris is instinctively right that lots of votes are much more on loan this time than when people made more of an idealogical shift to vote for thatcher.

Its interesting he realises that. We live in interesting times.
In the 1970s there was much global geo political change and it feels like we’ve just been through 5 years of it and can expect a few years more, before settling down to 20 years of stable whatever this is becoming.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

I was reading the other day on 08:57 - Dec 14 with 683 viewslowhouseblue

I was reading the other day on 08:50 - Dec 14 by MVBlue

Its interesting he realises that. We live in interesting times.
In the 1970s there was much global geo political change and it feels like we’ve just been through 5 years of it and can expect a few years more, before settling down to 20 years of stable whatever this is becoming.

what won't go away is the divisive nature of social media. the nasty and fractured and hyper-tribal nature of politics is here to stay. it's just a question of what issues those divisions are going to be arranged around. culture wars or climate change may be the things that the opposing camps form around next.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2019 9:00]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I was reading the other day on 09:17 - Dec 14 with 654 viewsmidastouch

They've lost 7 of the last 10 elections with the only 3 victories coming under Tony Blair so it does seem a long way back for Labour. However, if the Tories were to make a real dog's dinner of Government (I certainly wouldn't put it past them!) and Labour could get its act together, then they may not have to wait nearly as long as that for another chance.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

I was reading the other day on 09:22 - Dec 14 with 642 viewsMullet

I was reading the other day on 09:17 - Dec 14 by midastouch

They've lost 7 of the last 10 elections with the only 3 victories coming under Tony Blair so it does seem a long way back for Labour. However, if the Tories were to make a real dog's dinner of Government (I certainly wouldn't put it past them!) and Labour could get its act together, then they may not have to wait nearly as long as that for another chance.

Slightly misleading stat given how many they've needed to call and the bribes to the LD's and DUP to "win". If anything it shows that the system simply doesn't work now society has moved on from when it was first used.

It was them that also brought in the fixed term and will conveniently do away with it again it seems. The true extent of what we've done will begin when Brexit isn't "done" again. I suspect a backlash to start small and grow from there.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I was reading the other day on 09:35 - Dec 14 with 623 viewsOnionboy

I was reading the other day on 09:22 - Dec 14 by Mullet

Slightly misleading stat given how many they've needed to call and the bribes to the LD's and DUP to "win". If anything it shows that the system simply doesn't work now society has moved on from when it was first used.

It was them that also brought in the fixed term and will conveniently do away with it again it seems. The true extent of what we've done will begin when Brexit isn't "done" again. I suspect a backlash to start small and grow from there.

For the good of the country the Liberals and other waste of time parties should have stepped aside so that it would have been a straight fight between us and the Tory's.
We would have slaughtered them as no one would have voted Tory's after all the hurt they have put us through the last few years.
I was reading the other day on 09:39 - Dec 14 with 613 viewsMullet

I was reading the other day on 09:35 - Dec 14 by Onionboy

For the good of the country the Liberals and other waste of time parties should have stepped aside so that it would have been a straight fight between us and the Tory's.
We would have slaughtered them as no one would have voted Tory's after all the hurt they have put us through the last few years.

I think that would make "us" non-Tories as bad as them frankly. Corbyn has plenty of blame here, he was too slow too often from dispelling anti-Semitism to reacting to Boris' Eton flavoured take on 20th century populism for the nostalgic.

There's an iron he demonised the "lazy" and targeted those who didn't both to question everything he said or they read too often.

In the last 2 years Corbyn could have painted to HoC with Johnson's bullsh1t and didn't.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

I was reading the other day on 11:44 - Dec 14 with 548 viewsjeera

I doubt you can read too much and take it all on board to be honest.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I was reading the other day on 11:48 - Dec 14 with 537 viewsBigManBlue

I was reading the other day on 11:44 - Dec 14 by jeera

I doubt you can read too much and take it all on board to be honest.

I suspect the whole "too much to turn over in one electoral cycle" thing might be a bit irrelevant. Technology and systemic complexity mean that the pace of change in every aspect of life is only going to accelerate and politics won't be immune to this - not saying that the Tories won't be in power for 10-15 years, it's entirely possible, but it certainly won't be electoral inertia that's the cause.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

I was reading the other day on 11:54 - Dec 14 with 525 viewsjeera

I was reading the other day on 11:48 - Dec 14 by BigManBlue

I suspect the whole "too much to turn over in one electoral cycle" thing might be a bit irrelevant. Technology and systemic complexity mean that the pace of change in every aspect of life is only going to accelerate and politics won't be immune to this - not saying that the Tories won't be in power for 10-15 years, it's entirely possible, but it certainly won't be electoral inertia that's the cause.

Things concerning the Tory supporters can go one way or another.

Those who voted for them in a panic may well turn away again as they realise what bad people they have become and turn back towards something a bit more respectable, or equally, maybe the brainwashing will continue and they might sink deeper into the cesspit of anti-everything that doesn't have a greed driven self-serving objective.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I was reading the other day on 12:08 - Dec 14 with 511 viewsBigManBlue

I was reading the other day on 11:54 - Dec 14 by jeera

Things concerning the Tory supporters can go one way or another.

Those who voted for them in a panic may well turn away again as they realise what bad people they have become and turn back towards something a bit more respectable, or equally, maybe the brainwashing will continue and they might sink deeper into the cesspit of anti-everything that doesn't have a greed driven self-serving objective.

Yep, could go any which way. Brexit could be a disaster relatively quickly and Labour could storm to a majority. Or the Tories might somehow strengthen their hold on these newly converted areas and turn England into a Japan-style one party democracy, especially if Scotland leaves. Too many variables in every direction, but regardless of which way it falls I don't think it's safe to assume that 20th century electoral norms will continue to hold going forward.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

I was reading the other day on 12:41 - Dec 14 with 488 viewsDarth_Koont

I was reading the other day on 09:17 - Dec 14 by midastouch

The Tories have already made a dog's dinner of government and increased their majority.

Electoral reform is still years away but hopefully we can make some inroads into media reform. We now have a system with social media that can be gamed so time for far stricter regulation of press standards to help balance that.

We're now slap bang in the middle of our own Trumpian nightmare but I'd argue that we don't even have the same journalistic standards and objectivity as in the States nowadays.

Pronouns: He/Him

I was reading the other day on 13:10 - Dec 14 with 467 viewsOldsmoker

I was reading the other day on 08:44 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

In 1992 John Major won against Kinnock.
Maastericht + ERM debacle + sleaze + expenses scandal led to the Blair landslide of 1997.
A version of all of the above could happen to Johnson.
If you let events dictate rather than dictate events you end up in all kinds of problems.
That hated TWTD phrase "Careful what you wish for" could undo Johnson and his anti-EU chums over the next few years.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024