Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 20:28 - Dec 14 with 2910 viewsGarv

All I ever hear about this man is that he is a cultured, classy footballer who has a great range of passing. Why can't he cross a ball?

It occurred to me today that no one in our side, apart from maybe Garbutt, can be trusted to strike the ball off the floor with any kind of force. We're powder puff.

We miss Chambers hugely I think. He was a bit part of our excellent record of clean sheets early on, and they've very much dried up, albeit he hasn't been out for long. As much as Woolfenden is very promising and Wilson has been a pleasant surprise, they're not perfect.

I liked the three strikers in principle, but Jackson and Norwood were often wasted, despite of course combining for the goal. If we had any decent wide players we'd have been better off playing them ahead of Jackson and/or Norwood, but very sadly we don't. Keane played well.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cole Skuse on 20:30 - Dec 14 with 2592 viewsBluefish

Skuse crossed better than Garbutt today. He also put the ball in that Norwood nearly scored from.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cole Skuse on 20:33 - Dec 14 with 2575 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 20:30 - Dec 14 by Bluefish

Skuse crossed better than Garbutt today. He also put the ball in that Norwood nearly scored from.

Yep, Garbutt is also a culprit. He has a nice left foot but doesn't show it enough. For me, he's not a left back and he's not a winger.

On Skuse, yes it was his ball but it had no pace on it did it? It was loopy. That's why Norwood couldn't get any power behind the header.

Cole Skuse on 20:37 - Dec 14 with 2546 viewspointofblue

Our best crosser of the ball at the moment is Jackson. We may as well try him on corners.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cole Skuse on 20:40 - Dec 14 with 2528 viewspowinswitch

I realise they are the words you have heard and are not yours but ‘great range of passing’. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

If playing a wall pass back to a centre back, or a sideways pass to anybody is a great range of passing, then yep he is your man.

he is very decent at breaking up the opposition, but is awful as a centre midfielder when we have the ball. He very rarely plays a one touch attacking pass, slows us down hugely when we are in possession, and is scared of his own shadow when in the final third.

Centre midfield is the fulcrum of your team. When Skuse goes, then we might start to play the sort of football which will break down the opposition. How many times have we done that?
Cole Skuse on 20:44 - Dec 14 with 2507 viewsWickets

So a player who has spent the last 5 years as a defensive midfield player is getting stick for not turning himself into a wingback at a few hours notice , have i got this right ?
Cole Skuse on 20:45 - Dec 14 with 2487 viewsBluefish

Cole Skuse on 20:44 - Dec 14 by Wickets

So a player who has spent the last 5 years as a defensive midfield player is getting stick for not turning himself into a wingback at a few hours notice , have i got this right ?

Yes but mick signed him

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cole Skuse on 20:49 - Dec 14 with 2467 viewspowinswitch

I agree on that point by the way. I don’t think Cole can be expected to suddenly play in a different position, and I don’t think he is responsible for today’s outcome
Cole Skuse on 22:07 - Dec 14 with 2331 viewsGarv

You’ve got this wrong.

I don’t expect him to be going on the overlap every time, but when an opportunity comes to cross the ball, as a footballer, a midfielder, I expect him to be able to put it into a half decent area.

Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 22:09 - Dec 14 with 2320 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 20:37 - Dec 14 by pointofblue

Our best crosser of the ball at the moment is Jackson. We may as well try him on corners.

I mean some of his crosses and shots were atrocious too, I appreciate he put it on a plate for Norwood though. His all round game needs to be better however.

Cole Skuse on 01:14 - Dec 15 with 2133 viewsBlueBadger

He's no Andy Drury, I'll give you that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cole Skuse on 04:15 - Dec 15 with 2080 viewsBlue_Moses

Garbett has been poor for a while
Cole Skuse on 09:00 - Dec 15 with 1932 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 22:09 - Dec 14 by Garv

I mean some of his crosses and shots were atrocious too, I appreciate he put it on a plate for Norwood though. His all round game needs to be better however.

You have such weird fixed ideas about players. Jackson was by far our biggest threat yesterday and set up our goal with an excellent cross but you're singling him out for criticism. Really odd.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 10:17 - Dec 15 with 1878 viewsWickets

Cole Skuse on 09:00 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

You have such weird fixed ideas about players. Jackson was by far our biggest threat yesterday and set up our goal with an excellent cross but you're singling him out for criticism. Really odd.

No if fairness he isn't singling out Jackson for criticism as he is having a go at Skuse as well . He expected Cole ,who spent all week preparing for his usual role and in the twilight of his career to suddenly turn himself into a maurading wing back . A role that i dont think Skuse has done before, yes he played full back a few times in his early Bristol days but when you are being narrow as our system yesterday that is totaly different . Good defender Skuse is but a KVY is most certainly isn't . I thought the 3 up front did pretty well Jackson and Keane both had good games and Norwood too apart from missing a couple of chances as he tends to do. As most seem to think we need to decide our best system and team and stick with it no need to over manage for me !
Cole Skuse on 23:26 - Dec 15 with 1738 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 10:17 - Dec 15 by Wickets

No if fairness he isn't singling out Jackson for criticism as he is having a go at Skuse as well . He expected Cole ,who spent all week preparing for his usual role and in the twilight of his career to suddenly turn himself into a maurading wing back . A role that i dont think Skuse has done before, yes he played full back a few times in his early Bristol days but when you are being narrow as our system yesterday that is totaly different . Good defender Skuse is but a KVY is most certainly isn't . I thought the 3 up front did pretty well Jackson and Keane both had good games and Norwood too apart from missing a couple of chances as he tends to do. As most seem to think we need to decide our best system and team and stick with it no need to over manage for me !

I clearly stated in my reply to you that I don’t expect him to be a marauding full back, but I expect him to cross a football. I think that’s fair.

Cole Skuse on 23:29 - Dec 15 with 1735 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 09:00 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

I literally included praise for setting up the goal in the same post.

Pointing out some of the bad amongst the good is hardly singling someone out for criticism.

Cole Skuse on 23:41 - Dec 15 with 1722 viewsBLUEBEAT

I don’t understand why he gets the captain’s armband in Chambers’ absence.

He doesn’t seem to organise or galvanise the team.

He seems to be a quiet one.

Poll: W or W

Cole Skuse on 23:56 - Dec 15 with 1690 viewsStokieBlue

Cole Skuse on 23:29 - Dec 15 by Garv

I literally included praise for setting up the goal in the same post.

Pointing out some of the bad amongst the good is hardly singling someone out for criticism.

"His all round game needs to be better however."

That's not really pointing out some of the bad. It's saying he's essentially bad but put in a good cross.

Criticism of Jackson has become almost subconscious for some.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cole Skuse on 01:08 - Dec 16 with 1643 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 23:56 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

"His all round game needs to be better however."

That's not really pointing out some of the bad. It's saying he's essentially bad but put in a good cross.

Criticism of Jackson has become almost subconscious for some.

SB

As I said in the original post a lot of his attempted crosses and shots are very poor, so that’s what I meant. It doesn’t detract from the odd good ball he puts in, like for the goal. His touch is also often poor when he gets into good positions in and around the box, which is partly why he isn’t getting many chances.

Cole Skuse on 07:41 - Dec 16 with 1517 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 01:08 - Dec 16 by Garv

As I said in the original post a lot of his attempted crosses and shots are very poor, so that’s what I meant. It doesn’t detract from the odd good ball he puts in, like for the goal. His touch is also often poor when he gets into good positions in and around the box, which is partly why he isn’t getting many chances.

He put in several good balls on Saturday and does so most games. That's why he's set up six goals already this season. I don't know what you're watching.

You criticise Jackson constantly but he's been directly involved in five more goals than our next best contributor. He's a better finisher than Norwood and sets up way more chances and yet I've seen little criticism of Norwood from your direction. Judge has been poor this season and made us notably worse when he came on at the weekend and yet you defend him to the hilt. It's bizarre. It's like you dislike players that actually contribute.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 7:49]

Cole Skuse on 10:50 - Dec 16 with 1426 viewsitfc48

Given that he's not played right back in years I thought Skuse acquitted himself well after affectively being hung out to dry by Lambert as a full back in a 4-3-3 needs a lot more pace than Skuse is blessed with.

As for his crossing, I think he did ok and used a technique he was comfortable with. As a holding midfielder who doesn't take set pieces, he won't be hitting many balls with pace and whip which is a considerably different technique to striking a straight pass with the laces.
Cole Skuse on 11:36 - Dec 16 with 1358 viewslongtimefan

Cole Skuse on 20:40 - Dec 14 by powinswitch

I realise they are the words you have heard and are not yours but ‘great range of passing’. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

If playing a wall pass back to a centre back, or a sideways pass to anybody is a great range of passing, then yep he is your man.

he is very decent at breaking up the opposition, but is awful as a centre midfielder when we have the ball. He very rarely plays a one touch attacking pass, slows us down hugely when we are in possession, and is scared of his own shadow when in the final third.

Centre midfield is the fulcrum of your team. When Skuse goes, then we might start to play the sort of football which will break down the opposition. How many times have we done that?

“Centre midfield is the fulcrum of your team. When Skuse goes, then we might start to play the sort of football which will break down the opposition. How many times have we done that?”

Well he wasn’t in midfield Sat and we really broke down the opposition didn’t we!
Cole Skuse on 11:38 - Dec 16 with 1351 viewsbraveblue

Skuse was awful. One good cross.
Cole Skuse on 11:43 - Dec 16 with 1345 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 11:36 - Dec 16 by longtimefan

“Centre midfield is the fulcrum of your team. When Skuse goes, then we might start to play the sort of football which will break down the opposition. How many times have we done that?”

Well he wasn’t in midfield Sat and we really broke down the opposition didn’t we!

We also gain more points per game when Skuse plays than we do without him. That is true over a number of years.

Cole Skuse on 16:09 - Dec 16 with 1248 viewsGarv

Cole Skuse on 07:41 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

He put in several good balls on Saturday and does so most games. That's why he's set up six goals already this season. I don't know what you're watching.

You criticise Jackson constantly but he's been directly involved in five more goals than our next best contributor. He's a better finisher than Norwood and sets up way more chances and yet I've seen little criticism of Norwood from your direction. Judge has been poor this season and made us notably worse when he came on at the weekend and yet you defend him to the hilt. It's bizarre. It's like you dislike players that actually contribute.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 7:49]

He’s a better finisher than Norwood and yet Norwood has more goals. That is because Norwood gets more chances. I also don’t post every thought on here so it’s not to say I haven’t criticised Norwood. I replied to a comment about Jackson by someone else.

I take your point about assists, but I do think he’s wasteful at times too.

With Judge I just think he’s worth persisting with because we know what he has in his locker. He’s been poor and yet that doesn’t mean he hasn’t delivered. I think bringing him on was a bit of a desperate move because it didn’t suit us, I’d rather have kept Dozzell on.

Cole Skuse on 16:20 - Dec 16 with 1236 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 16:09 - Dec 16 by Garv

He’s a better finisher than Norwood and yet Norwood has more goals. That is because Norwood gets more chances. I also don’t post every thought on here so it’s not to say I haven’t criticised Norwood. I replied to a comment about Jackson by someone else.

I take your point about assists, but I do think he’s wasteful at times too.

With Judge I just think he’s worth persisting with because we know what he has in his locker. He’s been poor and yet that doesn’t mean he hasn’t delivered. I think bringing him on was a bit of a desperate move because it didn’t suit us, I’d rather have kept Dozzell on.

“He’s been poor and yet that doesn’t mean he hasn’t delivered” that it a contradiction. Care to explain?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024