Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What did we think of three up top? 09:35 - Dec 15 with 1495 viewsSmith45

Despite our obvious defensive shortcomings yesterday i do think in patches we played some of our best football in a while. Having Keane on the pitch and being able to fire the ball in to him at pace and him control and lay off is a massive advantage and i think we need to find a way of getting him in the team every week, maybe number 10 behind Jackson & Norwood?

Furthermore yesterday was the first time i've seen us for a while play some lovely one touch football and pass our way through a team. I know he's got some stick from yesterday but i think a big part of this was having Dozzell on the pitch. Whilst we all know he isn't the most physical player and obviously got robbed for one of their goals yesterday I'd like to see him get a run of games.
What did we think of three up top? on 09:59 - Dec 15 with 1458 viewsKeaneish

Like it. Encourages us to play front to back through the middle quicker. Too narrow in midfield though - FB areas need more work. KVY was a massive miss yesterday.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] Ă‚ÂŁ2.65 Million and Waiting?

What did we think of three up top? on 10:16 - Dec 15 with 1441 viewsTractorCam

All it is is the usual 433 but with strikers drifting out wide instead of having actual wingers. Norwood didn't know where he was going first half. Not a fan.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What did we think of three up top? on 10:18 - Dec 15 with 1436 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Did you see how much space and time it allowed their player to cross for the second goal?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

What did we think of three up top? on 10:32 - Dec 15 with 1411 viewspointofblue

What did we think of three up top? on 10:18 - Dec 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

Did you see how much space and time it allowed their player to cross for the second goal?

I don’t think that was the system, I think that was playing a central midfielder at right back.

Considering our lack of decent wingers, three up top is the way to go but Roberts or Folami need to be on the bench to give us another option if it’s not working out. We will be better off if we can can get Sears fit and firing.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What did we think of three up top? on 10:40 - Dec 15 with 1403 viewsSimonds92

What did we think of three up top? on 10:32 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

I don’t think that was the system, I think that was playing a central midfielder at right back.

Considering our lack of decent wingers, three up top is the way to go but Roberts or Folami need to be on the bench to give us another option if it’s not working out. We will be better off if we can can get Sears fit and firing.

For me it didn't work and left us horribly exposed from the very first minute. I think Jackson can definitely play as one of the wide players in a 433 but not convinced Norwood can.
If we were to experiment with it again i would belooking at having a much more solid midfield, Nolan seemed to almost be playing a free role which seems ridiculous with that formation.
What did we think of three up top? on 10:44 - Dec 15 with 1394 viewspointofblue

What did we think of three up top? on 10:40 - Dec 15 by Simonds92

For me it didn't work and left us horribly exposed from the very first minute. I think Jackson can definitely play as one of the wide players in a 433 but not convinced Norwood can.
If we were to experiment with it again i would belooking at having a much more solid midfield, Nolan seemed to almost be playing a free role which seems ridiculous with that formation.

I don’t want to write off the experiment just because we were exposed on the right when we had a fifth choice right back out there. Perhaps Skuse will work better in midfield instead of Dozzell or Nolan, particularly away from home, to give us some solidity but it became a shambles when Judge came on.

With our lack of wingers we need something, otherwise we might as well return to the two banks of four and look to grind out wins. Can’t recall how that worked out for our last long term manager?

What did we think of three up top? on 11:37 - Dec 15 with 1375 viewsreusersfreekicks

Careful all this positivity will get flack
What did we think of three up top? on 11:42 - Dec 15 with 1373 viewsitfcjoe

Wrong personnel for me.

If we want 3 up then it has to be Norwood OR Keane centrally.

Then Jackson, Sears, Lankester, Edwards, Rowe, Judge, Georgiou, Morris etc as the wide forwards/players.

I'd love to see Jackson adn Sears as the 2 wide forwards, think it would be unbelivably good with Keane dropping back in and setting them in

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

What did we think of three up top? on 11:49 - Dec 15 with 1356 viewspointofblue

What did we think of three up top? on 11:42 - Dec 15 by itfcjoe

Wrong personnel for me.

Then Jackson, Sears, Lankester, Edwards, Rowe, Judge, Georgiou, Morris etc as the wide forwards/players.

I'd love to see Jackson adn Sears as the 2 wide forwards, think it would be unbelivably good with Keane dropping back in and setting them in

Though Edwards was suspended, Rowe/Lankester/Sears/Morris injured or coming back from injury whilst neither Judge or Georgiou have shown anything to say they deserve to start when given chances. Our wing options are very poor and a serious weakness in the squad.

What did we think of three up top? on 11:55 - Dec 15 with 1343 viewsPilgrimblue

Wrong personnel for me.

I agree about Jackson going wide, he relishes taking FB on and putting over good crosses whereas in centre he lacks control against bigger CBSs. That leaves Norwood and Keane in middle.
No point in picking four central midfielders though, pick two and have backup on bench. Georgio needs a run on left to link up with Garbutt (overworked yesterday so no surprise his crosses weren’t all good).
What did we think of three up top? on 12:43 - Dec 15 with 1294 viewsGeoffSentence

What did we think of three up top? on 10:32 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

I agree with Banksy that the system was at fault for that goal, it was't just the time and space to cross it, but the player who received the cross had all the time in the world as well. With five across the middle they had all the time and space they could want out wide.

I wouldn't mind stickig with it though. It was good to see us actually gettig bodies in the box and looking like we wanted to get a few, ad more often tha not we will come out on top playing like that in this league, particularly when everyone has got used to playig in it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What did we think of three up top? on 12:55 - Dec 15 with 1267 viewsKeaneish

Wrong personnel for me.

Agreed. Norwood through the middle with Sears and Jackson for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] Ă‚ÂŁ2.65 Million and Waiting?

What did we think of three up top? on 12:58 - Dec 15 with 1259 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What did we think of three up top? on 10:44 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

I don’t want to write off the experiment just because we were exposed on the right when we had a fifth choice right back out there. Perhaps Skuse will work better in midfield instead of Dozzell or Nolan, particularly away from home, to give us some solidity but it became a shambles when Judge came on.

With our lack of wingers we need something, otherwise we might as well return to the two banks of four and look to grind out wins. Can’t recall how that worked out for our last long term manager?

The cross came from our left.

What did we think of three up top? on 12:58 - Dec 15 with 1258 viewsitfcjoe

What did we think of three up top? on 12:55 - Dec 15 by Keaneish

Agreed. Norwood through the middle with Sears and Jackson for me.

And that is when rotation works too - expecting to have more possession then Keane plays as can get on the ball more - against a physical side then it's Norwood.

THis has been my issue with rotation, it's that everything changes, every week

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What did we think of three up top? on 13:00 - Dec 15 with 1253 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What did we think of three up top? on 12:43 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

I agree with Banksy that the system was at fault for that goal, it was't just the time and space to cross it, but the player who received the cross had all the time in the world as well. With five across the middle they had all the time and space they could want out wide.

I wouldn't mind stickig with it though. It was good to see us actually gettig bodies in the box and looking like we wanted to get a few, ad more often tha not we will come out on top playing like that in this league, particularly when everyone has got used to playig in it.

I am going to savour that first sentence....thankyou Mr Sentence.

What did we think of three up top? on 13:01 - Dec 15 with 1244 viewsWickets

What did we think of three up top? on 09:59 - Dec 15 by Keaneish

Like it. Encourages us to play front to back through the middle quicker. Too narrow in midfield though - FB areas need more work. KVY was a massive miss yesterday.

Yes i agree .not sure we can afford to be this narrow untill KVY is back .
What did we think of three up top? on 13:01 - Dec 15 with 1244 viewspointofblue

What did we think of three up top? on 12:58 - Dec 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

The cross came from our left.

The original cross came from the right to left, that’s how the ball got out there in the first place. Both Skuse and Garbutt were back but didn’t block the respective crosses; for some reason Garbutt was quite central marking no one rather than watching the wide man.

What did we think of three up top? on 14:38 - Dec 15 with 1170 viewssparks

What did we think of three up top? on 10:16 - Dec 15 by TractorCam

All it is is the usual 433 but with strikers drifting out wide instead of having actual wingers. Norwood didn't know where he was going first half. Not a fan.

Indeed. Norwood was clueless and we had no pace out wide bar jackson.

Square pegs in round holes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What did we think of three up top? on 18:12 - Dec 15 with 1094 viewspablovian

I like it. The combination of threats (hustle, skill and pace) caused BR continuous problems and was entertaining to watch. I was reminded of Bill McGarry's teams of the late '60's ...

Norwood and Keane looked sharper than they have in the recent past and Dozzell put in a robust shift. Contrary to my previous observation that starting Dozzell is like playing with ten men, I now think that that he can be very effective in League One.
What did we think of three up top? on 18:15 - Dec 15 with 1085 viewsGeoffSentence

What did we think of three up top? on 13:00 - Dec 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

I am going to savour that first sentence....thankyou Mr Sentence.

It is my pleasure.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What did we think of three up top? on 20:31 - Dec 15 with 1016 viewssparks

What did we think of three up top? on 18:12 - Dec 15 by pablovian

I like it. The combination of threats (hustle, skill and pace) caused BR continuous problems and was entertaining to watch. I was reminded of Bill McGarry's teams of the late '60's ...

Norwood and Keane looked sharper than they have in the recent past and Dozzell put in a robust shift. Contrary to my previous observation that starting Dozzell is like playing with ten men, I now think that that he can be very effective in League One.

Agree with part of it....

Dozzell seems to be abused regardless of what he did. He battled physically to day as well as class on the ball. Neither of which Nolan can claim.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What did we think of three up top? on 21:37 - Dec 15 with 911 viewsDurovigutum

I thought they got in each others way at times. There wasn't enough width. Playing a new system caused the confusion that put us 2 behind after 20 minutes. With a rookie right back who was a bit lost with the space in front of him we lacked width.

I like the three in the middle, but ne of the three up top was wrong and Skuse not really suited to it.

We grew into it, but still only scored once.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024