Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is the end game for Evans? 21:16 - Dec 16 with 2785 viewstractorboy1978

I've posed this question many times, but today seems a good time to raise it again.

With a balance owing to him of approaching £100m he seems to have about reached his limit in terms of funding. It's going to be a 1/2 decent sales per summer approach to ensure that debt remains fairly stable and the club can operate virtually neutrally cash flow wise. That fits in with the approach of cultivating academy players to reduce signings needed and to bring in cash from future sales.

All perhaps well and good and not a bad model for operating but my concern is we are going to see the heart ripped out of the side every summer for the foreseeable future. People clinging onto us holding onto Wolfy and Downes unless huge (i've heard the likes of £10m bandied about) offers come in might be sadly disappointed.

We are getting further and further away from the Premier League every season. And with that ME is getting further and further away from recouping his money. When does he cut his losses?

What is the end game for Evans? on 21:22 - Dec 16 with 2335 viewsChrisd

I’d love to be a fly on the wall whilst ME discusses that very point with his advisors.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What is the end game for Evans? on 21:45 - Dec 16 with 2273 viewsITFC_Forever

Fluke a promotion to the Prem.

Unfortunately, there’s about as much chance of that as me sleeping with Emma Bunton.

The game and the stake has moved on since he bought us... he’s now the player at the table down to his last chips and paying the minimum he can to stay in the game.

He’s stuck with us and we’re stuck with him.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What is the end game for Evans? on 21:47 - Dec 16 with 2258 viewsSwansea_Blue

The reality - probably offload us for a humungous great big loss. I can't see any other scenario becasue (a) we're so off the pace financially and (b) he doesn't seem able to find us a manager who can get a team with our resources challenging (theoretically it's possible of course, but it would have to be something really special - i.e.not the disjointed stuff thats' served up now).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:08 - Dec 16 with 2169 viewsSwansea_Blue

What is the end game for Evans? on 21:45 - Dec 16 by ITFC_Forever

Fluke a promotion to the Prem.

Unfortunately, there’s about as much chance of that as me sleeping with Emma Bunton.

The game and the stake has moved on since he bought us... he’s now the player at the table down to his last chips and paying the minimum he can to stay in the game.

He’s stuck with us and we’re stuck with him.

Still as hot as hell even after all these years. (Her, not you)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:10 - Dec 16 with 2163 viewspointofblue

That's why I'm thinking Woolfenden and, in particular, Downes will leave in the summer whether we go up or not. To keep the bank balance ticking over.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:10 - Dec 16 with 2164 viewsTrequartista

Non-league football?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:16 - Dec 16 with 2140 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Cut and paste for c.60 football league clubs... probably more.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:21 - Dec 16 with 2119 viewsBluefish

On those accounts he has funded another 3 million and it will be more than that last season and this season

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:31 - Dec 16 with 2080 viewstractorboy1978

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:21 - Dec 16 by Bluefish

On those accounts he has funded another 3 million and it will be more than that last season and this season

No he hasn't. He's put in another £750k (net) hence the movement in loan value.
What is the end game for Evans? on 22:32 - Dec 16 with 2068 viewsBluefish

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:31 - Dec 16 by tractorboy1978

No he hasn't. He's put in another £750k (net) hence the movement in loan value.

What?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:37 - Dec 16 with 2063 viewstractorboy1978

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:32 - Dec 16 by Bluefish

What?

The loan balance is up £750k. His net investment in the club has increased by £750k.
What is the end game for Evans? on 22:39 - Dec 16 with 2055 viewsBluefish

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:37 - Dec 16 by tractorboy1978

The loan balance is up £750k. His net investment in the club has increased by £750k.

I've not read the full details of tonight and I'm not an accountant but where is the rest of the loss being covered then? Presumably the loan is in addition to the loss?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:44 - Dec 16 with 2042 viewsSporall

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:10 - Dec 16 by Trequartista

Non-league football?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:46 - Dec 16 with 2041 viewsFixed_It

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:10 - Dec 16 by pointofblue

That's why I'm thinking Woolfenden and, in particular, Downes will leave in the summer whether we go up or not. To keep the bank balance ticking over.

Important to note - and I think I am right in this - that the sell-on fees we got for Webster etc are not in this year's accounts, and will help soften the blow for next year. As will the improved attendances. If we are promoted I don't think we will sell Wolfie or Downes. Unless we get offers too good to turn down of course.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:53 - Dec 16 with 2009 viewstractorboy1978

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:39 - Dec 16 by Bluefish

I've not read the full details of tonight and I'm not an accountant but where is the rest of the loss being covered then? Presumably the loan is in addition to the loss?

Full accounts are not yet available but looking at last years as a guide I would imagine you have approx £2m in depreciation/amortisation of player contracts within that loss which are not being "funded" - they are accounting adjustments, no physical cash has left the club.

It's timing of cash flows at the end of the day. Evans has covered a £750k short fall in cash to meet our liabilities during the year. What those accounts do show is that without the income from sales of players that figure would have needed to be considerably higher.
What is the end game for Evans? on 23:04 - Dec 16 with 1967 viewsRadlett_blue

Last year, we had the 18th lowest wage bill in the Championship and still lost £10 MILLION on an operating basis. No wonder Evans has been a seller of our better players. Even if he was willing to keep losing £10m a year, we would still have probably been no better than mid table.
Evans might be willing to sell Town as a loss, but I think he's missed the boat on that one with us in the 3rd tier. Even if he finds a buyer, it would need to be one with huge pockets for us even to be competitive in the Championship.
This is a result of the EFL losing its bottle on FFP, at the request of a few rich owners like Mel Morris, who were desperate to throw money at the possibility of reaching the Premier League.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What is the end game for Evans? on 06:54 - Dec 17 with 1690 viewsChrisd

What is the end game for Evans? on 23:04 - Dec 16 by Radlett_blue

Last year, we had the 18th lowest wage bill in the Championship and still lost £10 MILLION on an operating basis. No wonder Evans has been a seller of our better players. Even if he was willing to keep losing £10m a year, we would still have probably been no better than mid table.
Evans might be willing to sell Town as a loss, but I think he's missed the boat on that one with us in the 3rd tier. Even if he finds a buyer, it would need to be one with huge pockets for us even to be competitive in the Championship.
This is a result of the EFL losing its bottle on FFP, at the request of a few rich owners like Mel Morris, who were desperate to throw money at the possibility of reaching the Premier League.

Honestly, unless you own Manchester United or Liverpool etc.. why would you want to a football club owner? Just seems an utterly pointless investment.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What is the end game for Evans? on 06:57 - Dec 17 with 1691 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What is the end game for Evans? on 22:53 - Dec 16 by tractorboy1978

Full accounts are not yet available but looking at last years as a guide I would imagine you have approx £2m in depreciation/amortisation of player contracts within that loss which are not being "funded" - they are accounting adjustments, no physical cash has left the club.

It's timing of cash flows at the end of the day. Evans has covered a £750k short fall in cash to meet our liabilities during the year. What those accounts do show is that without the income from sales of players that figure would have needed to be considerably higher.

I’ve just woken up so might be being thick here - but isn’t amortisation of transfer fees putting fees that have previously been paid but not included in previous accounts on the balance sheet (eg. £750k signing on 3 year contract is put on at £250k each year)? So very much money Evans has spent

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What is the end game for Evans? on 07:00 - Dec 17 with 1684 viewshampstead_blue

I mentioned in a post yesterday that I think it maybe to book losses to offset tax.

Other than that he probably took in on as a shortish term high risk project to get into the Prem.
Now it maybe to offset profits.

Not sure. We'll never know unless anyone has any "Def info"

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What is the end game for Evans? on 08:27 - Dec 17 with 1471 viewstractorboy1978

What is the end game for Evans? on 06:57 - Dec 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’ve just woken up so might be being thick here - but isn’t amortisation of transfer fees putting fees that have previously been paid but not included in previous accounts on the balance sheet (eg. £750k signing on 3 year contract is put on at £250k each year)? So very much money Evans has spent

No - the full transfer fee is capitalised as an asset and amortised (released) to the P&L account over the length of the contract.
What is the end game for Evans? on 08:30 - Dec 17 with 1461 viewsBluefish

What is the end game for Evans? on 08:27 - Dec 17 by tractorboy1978

No - the full transfer fee is capitalised as an asset and amortised (released) to the P&L account over the length of the contract.

You are arguing both points here? It has to have been spent and it is accounting as to where it sits

What is the end game for Evans? on 08:51 - Dec 17 with 1434 viewstractorboy1978

What is the end game for Evans? on 08:30 - Dec 17 by Bluefish

You are arguing both points here? It has to have been spent and it is accounting as to where it sits

Not necessarily. Future guaranteed transfer payments will be capitalised with a liability recognised - the cash hasn’t left the club yet.

Like I said previously, it’s all about cash flow timing. The movement in the loan account is the real measure not the loss figure.
What is the end game for Evans? on 08:54 - Dec 17 with 1429 viewsBluefish

What is the end game for Evans? on 08:51 - Dec 17 by tractorboy1978

Not necessarily. Future guaranteed transfer payments will be capitalised with a liability recognised - the cash hasn’t left the club yet.

Like I said previously, it’s all about cash flow timing. The movement in the loan account is the real measure not the loss figure.

2 different points though the original point was about paying 750 up front but spreading through 3 years of p and l

What is the end game for Evans? on 09:13 - Dec 17 with 1393 viewsGuthrum

What is the end game for Evans? on 07:00 - Dec 17 by hampstead_blue

I mentioned in a post yesterday that I think it maybe to book losses to offset tax.

Other than that he probably took in on as a shortish term high risk project to get into the Prem.
Now it maybe to offset profits.

Not sure. We'll never know unless anyone has any "Def info"

Expensive way to offset tax, as he'd be losing about five times however much he saved.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What is the end game for Evans? on 09:48 - Dec 17 with 1326 viewschicoazul

What is the end game for Evans? on 06:54 - Dec 17 by Chrisd

Honestly, unless you own Manchester United or Liverpool etc.. why would you want to a football club owner? Just seems an utterly pointless investment.

Football isn't an investment, it's a rich man's hobby.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024