Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? 12:36 - Dec 17 with 2719 viewsFenboyBlue

On the BBC website today there's an article about picking England's football moment of the decade. Got me thinking what could Ipswich's moment be. It was a long think and without googling I eventually remembered Priskin's goal in the League Cup semi with Arsenal, 2011?
Any other suggestions ?
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:45 - Dec 17 with 2279 viewsgainsboroughblue

Paul Anderson equaliser in the play offs.
Beating West Ham 5-1

Depressingly slim pickings when you think about it.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:46 - Dec 17 with 2276 viewsCokeIsKey

Equaliser against Norwich in the first leg of the 14/15 playoffs? It has been quite an uneventful decade for us.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:49 - Dec 17 with 2250 viewsmarchy

Jonathan Douglas kicking the ball into his own face.

#neverforget
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:53 - Dec 17 with 2230 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Chaplow for me is a personal highlight of the decade but completely agree that in comparison to most teams, this shouldn't even be a top 5 moment!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:56 - Dec 17 with 2209 viewsmarchy

On a more serious note, probably Murphy battering his way through the Brentford defence in the first 20 seconds at their place on Boxing Day 2014. A really tough away game in prospect, and yet straight away the reassuring feeling that we might really be on our way this time, which started evaporating just two weeks later and never really even resurfaced for me in the play-off.
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:57 - Dec 17 with 2203 viewsJimmyJazz

Moment in time? Wasn't it Boxing Day 2014? Top of the league after beating Brentford away.

Event of the decade, yes Priskin's goal

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:58 - Dec 17 with 2200 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:46 - Dec 17 by CokeIsKey

Equaliser against Norwich in the first leg of the 14/15 playoffs? It has been quite an uneventful decade for us.

Great minds think alike.

Reality probably is, that lot would be p155ing themselves at the idea that an equaliser in a tie we ultimately lost against them was the best moment we could muster up in ten years.

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:00 - Dec 17 with 2182 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Tommy Smith equalising at scum.

The most I’ve ever lost it at football.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Login to get fewer ads

1st November 2012. (n/t) on 13:02 - Dec 17 with 2168 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:02 - Dec 17 with 2166 viewshatch

Noel Hunt’s winner at Charlton when we thought that was our year.

Wickham’s goal v Sheff Utd in 2011, described by Beattie as one of the best goals ever seen at Portman Road

The Barnsley 5-2 comeback game - what a night.

The 19 December 2010 (almost its 10 year anniversary) game in the snow v Leicester on Sky.

....that’s just a few that come to mind. You should make a poll.
1st November 2012. (n/t) on 13:03 - Dec 17 with 2160 viewsJimmyJazz

1st November 2012. (n/t) on 13:02 - Dec 17 by Bloots

Was that one of those glorious days when we didn't play, therefore we didn't lose?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:04 - Dec 17 with 2153 viewsReuser_is_God

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 12:58 - Dec 17 by gainsboroughblue

Great minds think alike.

Reality probably is, that lot would be p155ing themselves at the idea that an equaliser in a tie we ultimately lost against them was the best moment we could muster up in ten years.

That's why it's not one of the best moments.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:05 - Dec 17 with 2150 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:02 - Dec 17 by hatch

Noel Hunt’s winner at Charlton when we thought that was our year.

Wickham’s goal v Sheff Utd in 2011, described by Beattie as one of the best goals ever seen at Portman Road

The Barnsley 5-2 comeback game - what a night.

The 19 December 2010 (almost its 10 year anniversary) game in the snow v Leicester on Sky.

....that’s just a few that come to mind. You should make a poll.

That Barnsley comeback game bought Jewell another year in the job.

Wasn't it also that period where Keith Andrews seemed to score every game he played?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:06 - Dec 17 with 2138 viewsJakeITFC

Jay Tabb’s header v Boro, end of a really lovely move against another promotion hopeful.

Chaplow’s winner at Watford

That Larsen Toure corner when he kicked the flag.
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:08 - Dec 17 with 2131 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:06 - Dec 17 by JakeITFC

Jay Tabb’s header v Boro, end of a really lovely move against another promotion hopeful.

Chaplow’s winner at Watford

That Larsen Toure corner when he kicked the flag.

Ahhh. That Boro game. Absolutely convinced we were going up after that, and we sodding well should have. That January transfer window is possibly the most costly moment of the decade.

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:12 - Dec 17 with 2125 viewsReuser_is_God

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:08 - Dec 17 by gainsboroughblue

Ahhh. That Boro game. Absolutely convinced we were going up after that, and we sodding well should have. That January transfer window is possibly the most costly moment of the decade.

Remember the interview Stuart Watson done with ME about a year ago now & he asked the question about that window.

Evans gave some guff answer about the Southampton replay causing them to rethink their transfer window plans.

What the actual fcuk.

Evans out

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:14 - Dec 17 with 2103 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:12 - Dec 17 by Reuser_is_God

Remember the interview Stuart Watson done with ME about a year ago now & he asked the question about that window.

Evans gave some guff answer about the Southampton replay causing them to rethink their transfer window plans.

What the actual fcuk.

I never heard that.

Jeez.

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:18 - Dec 17 with 2090 viewsReuser_is_God

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:14 - Dec 17 by gainsboroughblue

I never heard that.

Jeez.

Here you go....

Q: I want to focus on the here and now, but it would be remiss of me not to look back on your 11 years of ownership and ask what you would have done differently. Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing, but what are your biggest regrets? People talk a lot about being top after Boxing Day 2014…

A: The biggest regret then was when Mick (McCarthy) and I sat down and said ‘let’s forget about this Southampton cup tie’, the decision was then made to go for it. As we know we then had the two games, McGoldrick got injured in the second game and it tore apart the rest of the season.

That was a regret that we weren’t a little bit more conservative with our match planning for January that year.

I was looking to spend money to bolster our position, and I did so to a certain extent, but it is worth bearing in mind that I had already that season provided several players with new and increased value contracts to ensure continuity within the squad. That plan had taken us to the top of the league.

We were looking for the right players who were available within the financial parameters I had in place. I am sure Mick would have identified some more targets if millions had been available but we did the best we could in what is a very overpriced transfer window.

If you think about it, we were top, we were doing incredibly well, Daryl (Murphy) was scoring all those goals. We had a settled squad and we wanted to ensure nothing was done which would upset what we had unless it would obviously improve us.

It wasn’t for lack of looking and lack of trying, and we didn’t want to throw out the dynamic of the dressing room and what we’d created.

I know fans find it difficult to understand why we didn’t do something at that time, but it wasn’t ‘we don’t want to do it, forget it’. It was thought through.

Evans out

1st November 2012. (n/t) on 13:26 - Dec 17 with 2052 viewsSwansea_Blue

1st November 2012. (n/t) on 13:02 - Dec 17 by Bloots

Sadly, yes that's about as good as it got.

What a depressing topic

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:28 - Dec 17 with 2042 viewscaluma10

Agree with some other posters boxing day 2014 was the highlight, was convinced we'd go up at that point
Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:33 - Dec 17 with 2020 viewscbower

For me personally, Carlos Edwards' 94th minute winner at Derby in MM's first season which confirmed we were staying up and the Great Escape was complete. I guess, as others have said, slim pickings!

bluescouser

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 15:18 - Dec 17 with 1900 viewsBiGDonnie

Me and my brothers celebrated that goal so much I woke up to an eviction letter from the landlord. Had two weeks to get out.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 15:21 - Dec 17 with 1899 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How could anyone not pick this?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 16:49 - Dec 17 with 1674 viewsRadlett_blue

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 13:18 - Dec 17 by Reuser_is_God

Here you go....

Q: I want to focus on the here and now, but it would be remiss of me not to look back on your 11 years of ownership and ask what you would have done differently. Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing, but what are your biggest regrets? People talk a lot about being top after Boxing Day 2014…

A: The biggest regret then was when Mick (McCarthy) and I sat down and said ‘let’s forget about this Southampton cup tie’, the decision was then made to go for it. As we know we then had the two games, McGoldrick got injured in the second game and it tore apart the rest of the season.

That was a regret that we weren’t a little bit more conservative with our match planning for January that year.

I was looking to spend money to bolster our position, and I did so to a certain extent, but it is worth bearing in mind that I had already that season provided several players with new and increased value contracts to ensure continuity within the squad. That plan had taken us to the top of the league.

We were looking for the right players who were available within the financial parameters I had in place. I am sure Mick would have identified some more targets if millions had been available but we did the best we could in what is a very overpriced transfer window.

If you think about it, we were top, we were doing incredibly well, Daryl (Murphy) was scoring all those goals. We had a settled squad and we wanted to ensure nothing was done which would upset what we had unless it would obviously improve us.

It wasn’t for lack of looking and lack of trying, and we didn’t want to throw out the dynamic of the dressing room and what we’d created.

I know fans find it difficult to understand why we didn’t do something at that time, but it wasn’t ‘we don’t want to do it, forget it’. It was thought through.

Hmm..we lost our form badly in the New Year, losing 7 out of 13 League games. I don't know how much McGoldrick's injury had to do with it, but of course he could have got injured in a league game. I thought if Evans invested in the January window it could well be the difference between going up or not & was disappointed when all we did was loan in the very average squad fillers Chaplow & Varney, plus the disappointing Chris Wood (subsequently showed what a good player he was, but lacked fitness). However, we did sign Freddie Sears plus Noel Hunt. We'll never know what might have happened, but it proved to be the zenith of the McCarthy years.
Interesting that Mick discussed Cup strategy with Evans. I can only guess that Town's continued disdain for cups is certainly something that Evans is fine with.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ipswich football moment of the decade ? on 14:24 - Dec 18 with 1131 viewsTractorCam

Beating Arsenal, it's the only answer it can really be in this pretty depressing decade.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024