Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1991/92 09:34 - Dec 18 with 1945 viewscatch74

Those who watched most of it, any similarities to this year so far, ignoring the fact we’re a division lower?
Did the football really click second half of the season? - fingers crossed.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

1991/92 on 09:42 - Dec 18 with 1455 viewschicoazul

Hmm. Now it has been a long time and my memories of that season are coloured by the bliss that resulted, but I will say this. From memory everything clicked when Palmer and Milton were together in midfield, Wark and Linighan were together at the back, and Kiwomya and Dozzell were together up front, and you have Thompson Johnson on one flank and Stockwell Whitton on the other. Basically the team picked itself pretty much, and I have said a few times, Ipswich have only ever had success from that kind of situation; a team that picked itself, with a sprinkling of either very cheap buys and youth players. Plus it had an excellent, experienced Manager who just knew what he was doing and how to motivate people (talk to John Wark about John Lyall for instance, he loved him).
That team did indeed start to motor in the second half of the season so let's hope the same thing happens this year. But what *must* happen for that to happen, is for Lambert to settle on a team and tactics, as Lyall did which btw he sort of did against his better judgement as he felt Dozzell was better in midfield and he wanted Goddard up front, but the team kept winning.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 9:43]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

1991/92 on 09:46 - Dec 18 with 1442 viewsITFC_Forever

1991/92 on 09:42 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

Hmm. Now it has been a long time and my memories of that season are coloured by the bliss that resulted, but I will say this. From memory everything clicked when Palmer and Milton were together in midfield, Wark and Linighan were together at the back, and Kiwomya and Dozzell were together up front, and you have Thompson Johnson on one flank and Stockwell Whitton on the other. Basically the team picked itself pretty much, and I have said a few times, Ipswich have only ever had success from that kind of situation; a team that picked itself, with a sprinkling of either very cheap buys and youth players. Plus it had an excellent, experienced Manager who just knew what he was doing and how to motivate people (talk to John Wark about John Lyall for instance, he loved him).
That team did indeed start to motor in the second half of the season so let's hope the same thing happens this year. But what *must* happen for that to happen, is for Lambert to settle on a team and tactics, as Lyall did which btw he sort of did against his better judgement as he felt Dozzell was better in midfield and he wanted Goddard up front, but the team kept winning.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 9:43]

All the squad from that team loved Lyall.... he inspired them all.

I guess there are certain similarities, we started like a train, had a blip in the autumn and clicked in to gear from Christmas onwards.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

1991/92 on 09:49 - Dec 18 with 1429 viewsPJH

Just to jog my own memory I am currently looking at my copy of 'Back in the big time' which was the magazine produced to celebrate promotion.

At this time of the season we were 6th in the table although we had been 2nd in October so there had been a drop in form (results).We were back into 2nd place on New Years day and remained in the top 3 for the rest of the season eventually finishing top.

So there are similarities so far....
1991/92 on 10:14 - Dec 18 with 1407 viewsbrazil1982

1991/92 on 09:49 - Dec 18 by PJH

Just to jog my own memory I am currently looking at my copy of 'Back in the big time' which was the magazine produced to celebrate promotion.

At this time of the season we were 6th in the table although we had been 2nd in October so there had been a drop in form (results).We were back into 2nd place on New Years day and remained in the top 3 for the rest of the season eventually finishing top.

So there are similarities so far....

What I do recall is how fast that team seemed - Stockwell, Palmer, Kiwomya.
My favourite season mainly because I made the decision at the start to go to as many games as I could, and we then had a great season - I missed only a handful.
1991/92 on 10:17 - Dec 18 with 1401 viewsgainsboroughblue

We won the league that year with 84 points from 46 games, which these days, seems more likely to see you finish third or fourth.

From memory, we had a couple of sticky spells around Nov, Dec (much like this season) where we lost home games (Cambridge, Sunderland) and struggled with goals.

It was over Christmas, we seemed to really believe with back to back wins (including the media darlings and title favourites Blackburn), but post Liverpool cup tie, it was then we really started to motor and established a lead at the top. I think we went something like ten unbeaten before coming unstuck (again at home) to Watford on a Tuesday night and drawing 0-0 (at home) with Leicester.

We were comfortably top and was all but confirmed as top towards the end of the season but had another little hiccup losing at Bristol City and Sunderland, then before a full-house at PR, were frustrated in a 0-0 with Grimsby. It was Oxford on the Sat, we got over the line.

We played good football and it was a great season but it must be remembered that that side completely surpassed the pre-season expectations (finished 14th the previous year).

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

1991/92 on 10:50 - Dec 18 with 1386 viewschicoazul

1991/92 on 10:14 - Dec 18 by brazil1982

What I do recall is how fast that team seemed - Stockwell, Palmer, Kiwomya.
My favourite season mainly because I made the decision at the start to go to as many games as I could, and we then had a great season - I missed only a handful.

So many good things about that team; they were quick, everyone was a decent footballer, they could all pass it, and one thing that gets overlooked is how hard they were - Wark Whitton and Palmer in particular would dish it out to everyone we played. But above all they were settled, loved the Manager, and had an excellent blend.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 10:51]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

1991/92 on 11:09 - Dec 18 with 1356 viewsIpswichKnight

Good point we could be physical with the best of them if we wanted to. Whitton I remember being very physical with full backs when he decided to go and play out wide. Both our centre backs weren't shy of getting in the trenches either.
1991/92 on 11:23 - Dec 18 with 1334 viewsTommyparker

Double wins Blackburn, Port Vale, Southend, Tranmere, Wolves.
Double loss Sunderland
Won from behind Bristol City, Blackburn, Newcastle, Wolverhampton
Lost from in front Liverpool FAC
A settled side ( 8 men played 36 league games or more). A fine display at Anfield, 3 successive April games featuring dramatic wins. an increase in attendances of more than 20 per cent.
Expensive signing Eddie Youds seriously hurt on his debut, record losses of 747,246.
Escaping with just a draw after being 3-0 up at Bristol Rovers.
Player of the Year John Wark, ever present Mick Stockwell and Craig Forrest, leading goalscorer was (17) Chris Kiwoyma
Home form W 16 D 3 L 4 F 42 A 22
Away form W 8 D 9 L 6 F 28 A 28
Top six
Ipswich 84 points
Middlesbourgh 80
Derby 78
Leicester 77
Cambridge 74
Blackburn 74
Login to get fewer ads

1991/92 on 11:42 - Dec 18 with 1291 viewsjaykay

would that be the season poor old norwich lost in the semi final of the f.a. cup and the john lyalls former club west ham were relegated and we took their place. if so i hope the planets are lining up again

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

1991/92 on 11:54 - Dec 18 with 1279 viewsGlasgowBlue

If memory serves, two of our better players, Goddard and Zondervan were injured very early on so we brought in the more workmanlike Steve Palmer into midfield and pushed Dozzell up front with Kiwomya.

We had a bit of steel about us and Steve Whitton was a great outlet for long balls hoofed up to him on the right wing.

We were unfancied at the start of the season but hit the ground running before having a little wobble in late October/ early November before picking up decent form again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

1991/92 on 12:04 - Dec 18 with 1260 viewsSWGF

If we want similarities, we're going to need to find a cultured right midfielder to, single-handedly, get us promoted.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

1991/92 on 12:05 - Dec 18 with 1257 viewsPendejo

October 2 home defeats within days, if memory serves me correct, Cambridge & Sunderland

Boxing Day [was it?] home win against Blackburn was immense, the games against Liverpool [despite losing] gave them confidence.

But overall squad then had far more quality than now, and as others have pointed out team more or less picked itself. Continuity / consistency?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

1991/92 on 12:11 - Dec 18 with 1243 viewscarlisleaway

Do remember us getting very low gates prior to Xmas
1991/92 on 12:17 - Dec 18 with 1235 viewsITFC_Forever

1991/92 on 12:05 - Dec 18 by Pendejo

October 2 home defeats within days, if memory serves me correct, Cambridge & Sunderland

Boxing Day [was it?] home win against Blackburn was immense, the games against Liverpool [despite losing] gave them confidence.

But overall squad then had far more quality than now, and as others have pointed out team more or less picked itself. Continuity / consistency?

Sunderland and Cambridge were November.

We beat Charlton 2-0 at home on Boxing Day, then beat Blackburn 2-1 after being a goal down on 28th..... that season is ingrained in my mind.

And due to the way the calendar is, it's exactly the same this season (ie; 25th April is a Saturday).

1991/92 on 12:25 - Dec 18 with 1228 viewsSwansea_Blue

1991/92 on 11:54 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

If memory serves, two of our better players, Goddard and Zondervan were injured very early on so we brought in the more workmanlike Steve Palmer into midfield and pushed Dozzell up front with Kiwomya.

We had a bit of steel about us and Steve Whitton was a great outlet for long balls hoofed up to him on the right wing.

We were unfancied at the start of the season but hit the ground running before having a little wobble in late October/ early November before picking up decent form again.

It was like clockwork that long diagonal out to Whitton. We had a system, we had stablity and we had a great leader in Wark who drove us forward from the back.

We could also finish games off, scoring 2 goals regularly, and even 3, 4 and rarely 5.

I don't feel[/] too many similarities to this year tbh.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

1991/92 on 12:43 - Dec 18 with 1198 viewsPinewoodblue

Was a strange season, we had only finished 14th season before and season ticket sales had fallen dramatically.. we had gates below 10,000 at times.

Season got off to a good start, 10pts from first 4 games then a thumping at home 1-4 by Swindon a game run by Glen Hoddle. Won last game in September and first in October. Didn’t lose of the next six but we only won 1 of them with 5 draws..

Period from early November to Christmas was a disaster losing 5 out of 8.

Not sure what Lyall put on the players Christmas stockings but Boxing was the start of a run that saw 9 wins from the next 10 games. We also played 5 cup games in that period as well. Found ourselves 10 Pts clear and carried to win the League at a canter.

Guess we need to go on such a run this season.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

1991/92 on 12:46 - Dec 18 with 1193 viewsfarkenhell

1991/92 on 11:42 - Dec 18 by jaykay

would that be the season poor old norwich lost in the semi final of the f.a. cup and the john lyalls former club west ham were relegated and we took their place. if so i hope the planets are lining up again

I, for one, really hope our carrot-crunching cousins don't reach the FA Cup semi-finals this year. Surely there's no more room on their Roll of Honour!
1991/92 on 12:50 - Dec 18 with 1186 viewsfarkenhell

1991/92 on 11:54 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Good points, although Stevie Whitton had rather more about him than just winning those headers (although he had an uncanny knack of winning just about every one). A very underrated player.
1991/92 on 12:55 - Dec 18 with 1175 viewsPJH

1991/92 on 12:46 - Dec 18 by farkenhell

I, for one, really hope our carrot-crunching cousins don't reach the FA Cup semi-finals this year. Surely there's no more room on their Roll of Honour!

I hope they don't reach the 4th round.
1991/92 on 13:00 - Dec 18 with 1168 viewsfarkenhell

1991/92 on 12:17 - Dec 18 by ITFC_Forever

We beat Charlton 2-0 at home on Boxing Day, then beat Blackburn 2-1 after being a goal down on 28th..... that season is ingrained in my mind.

And due to the way the calendar is, it's exactly the same this season (ie; 25th April is a Saturday).

Plus, if I'm right, we followed that by beating Port Vale away on New Years Day. 3 wins out of 3 over the holiday period - that really got things going for us. Plus Blackburn then kindly deciding to implode allowed us to catch up and overtake them at the top.

If we get a similar return this Christmas, then even I might start believing!
1991/92 on 14:00 - Dec 18 with 1115 viewsIllinoisblue

1991/92 on 12:43 - Dec 18 by Pinewoodblue

Was a strange season, we had only finished 14th season before and season ticket sales had fallen dramatically.. we had gates below 10,000 at times.

Season got off to a good start, 10pts from first 4 games then a thumping at home 1-4 by Swindon a game run by Glen Hoddle. Won last game in September and first in October. Didn’t lose of the next six but we only won 1 of them with 5 draws..

Period from early November to Christmas was a disaster losing 5 out of 8.

Not sure what Lyall put on the players Christmas stockings but Boxing was the start of a run that saw 9 wins from the next 10 games. We also played 5 cup games in that period as well. Found ourselves 10 Pts clear and carried to win the League at a canter.

Guess we need to go on such a run this season.

just 3,000 ST holders at the start of 91-92. TBH I'd forgotten that terrible run of form in Nov and Dec. All I recall from that period was the home win over Blackburn and being impressed at the attendance of... 17k!

The Swindon 1-4 game was amazing. Hoddle was absolute quality that night.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1991/92 on 14:01 - Dec 18 with 1110 viewschicoazul

1991/92 on 14:00 - Dec 18 by Illinoisblue

just 3,000 ST holders at the start of 91-92. TBH I'd forgotten that terrible run of form in Nov and Dec. All I recall from that period was the home win over Blackburn and being impressed at the attendance of... 17k!

The Swindon 1-4 game was amazing. Hoddle was absolute quality that night.

I'm confused, wasn't the Swindon Hoddle game much later, Tony Vaughan got sent off...?

1991/92 on 14:10 - Dec 18 with 1094 viewsITFC_Forever

1991/92 on 14:01 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

I'm confused, wasn't the Swindon Hoddle game much later, Tony Vaughan got sent off...?

Tony Vaughan didn't play for us until 1996 or thereabouts

1991/92 on 14:51 - Dec 18 with 1039 viewsPinewoodblue

1991/92 on 14:01 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

1991 was last time Swindon have beaten us in a league game. Seem to recall our players bring in awe of him , don’t thing he was tackled once.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

1991/92 on 14:52 - Dec 18 with 1037 viewsParisBlue

1991/92 on 12:17 - Dec 18 by ITFC_Forever

Sunderland was November 5th, most notable for being the day Maxwell fell off his boat.

I was at university in Sunderland and persuaded a friend to drive down for the game. It was a long drive back. I only saw us play 5 times and we didn't win any of them...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024