Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interview with Keir Starmer 09:45 - Dec 18 with 2628 viewsStokieBlue

The Guardian have a decent interview with Starmer today:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/17/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-

He's respectful but makes quite a few digs:

"He said Labour must now return to being a “broad church” and praised Momentum as well as “people who might self-identify as Blairites”. “It can’t be a fight for one side to obliterate the other,” he said."

"Starmer was given few opportunities to speak for his party during the election campaign as Labour strategists sought to dodge the fraught question of Brexit. But he believes he could have made a better job than Corbyn of criticising the central claim of the Tories’ campaign. I don’t think we tackled the ‘get Brexit done’ slogan strongly enough,” he said. “We should have taken it down. Frankly I’d have liked the opportunity to have done it.”

"He also echoed the view that the Labour manifesto represented a “policy overload”. “We had important things, housing and public sector pay rises, but you couldn’t see the wood for the trees,” he said."

"He also criticised the “baggage” Labour took into the election campaign. “We didn’t deal with antisemitism and that became a question of values and a question of competence,” he said, blaming “factionalism” for the failure to tackle the issue."

Do people think he's a realistic challenger for the leadership or will be not be left enough for Momentum?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interview with Keir Starmer on 09:50 - Dec 18 with 1964 viewsbaxterbasics

Starmer is clearly the best option for Labour, and the one candidate that the government might have something to fear from.

But the "need" for a woman candidate and Momentum's hold on the process means he will struggle to win.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:01 - Dec 18 with 1939 viewsBloomBlue

No. If he knew things were wrong and couldn't change them when part of the shadow cabinet he will never change them. He is part of the problem not part of the solution.
Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:17 - Dec 18 with 1915 viewsGuthrum

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:01 - Dec 18 by BloomBlue

No. If he knew things were wrong and couldn't change them when part of the shadow cabinet he will never change them. He is part of the problem not part of the solution.

He was a minority within the Shadow Cabinet and not aligned with the leadership or the Unite/Momentum pressure groups who were running the show. Hardly surprising he wasn't able to drive change.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:21 - Dec 18 with 1914 viewsSteve_M

The deliberate sidelining of people like Starmer and Jess Phillips was just one of many failings of Labour's election campaign. The sort of clear-structured analysis from Starmer here shows why that was foolish, it's just basic political competence and persuasion.

Kier Starmer or Rebecca Long-Baily. It's obvious which one of those presents better opposition to this government, rather less obvious which way the party would vote.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:28 - Dec 18 with 1899 viewsLankHenners

Seems to be seen as the safest pair of hands to take over but hard to see how he can really bring all sides of the Left together, plus I don't think it's unfair for people to not want a more centrist leader.

You don't have to be a part of Momentum to want a more progressive candidate, though it'd probably be unwise to elect someone like Long-Bailey as she's too close to Corbyn and she wouldn't be allowed to distance herself.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:44 - Dec 18 with 1853 viewsGlasgowBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:21 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

The deliberate sidelining of people like Starmer and Jess Phillips was just one of many failings of Labour's election campaign. The sort of clear-structured analysis from Starmer here shows why that was foolish, it's just basic political competence and persuasion.

Kier Starmer or Rebecca Long-Baily. It's obvious which one of those presents better opposition to this government, rather less obvious which way the party would vote.

A RLB/Burgon dream team is the way forward.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:49 - Dec 18 with 1848 viewslowhouseblue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:44 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

well that would certainly get the 2024 election over and done with 5 years early.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:51 - Dec 18 with 1840 viewsBlueForYou

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:44 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Thal'll be 10/15 years of Conservative rule to come then. Labour need to evict Momentum from the party. The Loony Left dont win elections! None of their shadow cabinet have any credibility.
Login to get fewer ads

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:57 - Dec 18 with 1821 viewsSteve_M

A slight tangent but this thread seems the most appropriate place for this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/general-election-labour-party-corbyn-wales-

Whoever becomes Labour leader needs to get rid of the current leader's office team and reflect the wider party there. Milne's article in the Guardian this weekend - albeit in Corbyn's name - shows why.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:02 - Dec 18 with 1795 viewschicoazul

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:21 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

They're going to elect RLB who will be cast as a shrill nag which will put off all the people who didnt vote for the Maximum Leader last time even more.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:06 - Dec 18 with 1785 viewsGlasgowBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:57 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

A slight tangent but this thread seems the most appropriate place for this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/general-election-labour-party-corbyn-wales-

Whoever becomes Labour leader needs to get rid of the current leader's office team and reflect the wider party there. Milne's article in the Guardian this weekend - albeit in Corbyn's name - shows why.

Ouch!

Iron Lion Zion

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:13 - Dec 18 with 1756 viewsBloomBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:02 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

They're going to elect RLB who will be cast as a shrill nag which will put off all the people who didnt vote for the Maximum Leader last time even more.

Farage would make a better leader of Labour than RLB
Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:20 - Dec 18 with 1738 viewschicoazul

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:06 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Ouch!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/12/dominic-cummings-honed-strategy

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:24 - Dec 18 with 1723 viewsPinewoodblue

Think he is the best they have available but the Labour Party is difficult to predict. In the early stages of the last leadership selection process Corbyn was struggling to get the required support from MPs needed to even enter the ballot. Didn’t some get persuaded to support his nomination simply to widen the choice? Boy they must look back and regret that now.

Even after his nomination was accepted very few people I know, eligible to vote, even considered voting for him but one by one they moved away from the likes of Andy Burnham and announced their support for Jeremy Corbyn.

The biggest problem Labour have is that those who elect the leader are not representative of those who vote for them.

At this stage it seems the next leader will need to meet 2 out of the following.

Doesn’t represent a London constituency

Female

Not white.

Starmer doesn’t meet any of thrm

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:37 - Dec 18 with 1693 viewsDanTheMan

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:20 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/12/dominic-cummings-honed-strategy

He's not stupid, he's found something that works repeatedly.

People need to find something that beats populism, which is increasingly difficult.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:45 - Dec 18 with 1678 viewsStokieBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:06 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Ouch!

He's gotten really stuck in this morning during his speech.

"Instead, we pursued a path of almost comic indecision - alienated both sides of the debate,"

Pretty much spot on there. Obviously won't go down well with many.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:55 - Dec 18 with 1657 viewsBloomBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:24 - Dec 18 by Pinewoodblue

Think he is the best they have available but the Labour Party is difficult to predict. In the early stages of the last leadership selection process Corbyn was struggling to get the required support from MPs needed to even enter the ballot. Didn’t some get persuaded to support his nomination simply to widen the choice? Boy they must look back and regret that now.

Even after his nomination was accepted very few people I know, eligible to vote, even considered voting for him but one by one they moved away from the likes of Andy Burnham and announced their support for Jeremy Corbyn.

The biggest problem Labour have is that those who elect the leader are not representative of those who vote for them.

At this stage it seems the next leader will need to meet 2 out of the following.

Doesn’t represent a London constituency

Female

Not white.

Starmer doesn’t meet any of thrm

Remember when a lot of people joined the Labour party just to vote for Corbyn as the leader for a joke and then Labour supporters laughed at them when Labour did ok in 2017. I bet those people are having a good old laugh at Labour supporters now. He who laughs last, laughs longest.
Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:57 - Dec 18 with 1643 viewschicoazul

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/18/demagogues-power-rewilding

Reading this is watching the scales fall from a Marxist's eyes.

"Mainstream politics, controlled by party machines, has sought to reduce the phenomenal complexity of human society into a simple, linear model that can be controlled from the centre. The political and economic systems it creates are simultaneously highly unstable and lacking in dynamism; susceptible to collapse, as many northern towns can testify, while unable to regenerate themselves."

(caveat; I like George M's writings and think he is an excellent columnist who always makes me think).

Interview with Keir Starmer on 12:05 - Dec 18 with 1609 viewsGlasgowBlue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 09:50 - Dec 18 by baxterbasics

Starmer is clearly the best option for Labour, and the one candidate that the government might have something to fear from.

But the "need" for a woman candidate and Momentum's hold on the process means he will struggle to win.

Sounds like the current leadership are trying to control the election process to get their (wo)man in Corbyn's place.

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 12:05]

Iron Lion Zion

Interview with Keir Starmer on 12:29 - Dec 18 with 1578 viewsGeoffSentence

Interview with Keir Starmer on 09:50 - Dec 18 by baxterbasics

The thing about Kier Starmer is that he always looks surprised.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interview with Keir Starmer on 12:31 - Dec 18 with 1570 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 11:45 - Dec 18 by StokieBlue

He's gotten really stuck in this morning during his speech.

"Instead, we pursued a path of almost comic indecision - alienated both sides of the debate,"

Pretty much spot on there. Obviously won't go down well with many.

SB

Blair's a bit shameless criticising Corbyn's economic and foreign policy stances though, given his record on those two things (Iraq and PFI debacle).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:03 - Dec 18 with 1518 viewsgiant_stow

I reckon the following twitter thread is very illuminating. Starts off with Owen Jones making threats on behalf of the Labour membership. Respondants rightly point out that they could well be the biggest problem the party has.

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 13:03]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:07 - Dec 18 with 1501 viewslowhouseblue

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:03 - Dec 18 by giant_stow

I reckon the following twitter thread is very illuminating. Starts off with Owen Jones making threats on behalf of the Labour membership. Respondants rightly point out that they could well be the biggest problem the party has.

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 13:03]

poor old owen. he's never entirely sure if he's chosen the right horse to smarmy up to, and in any case the smarying is never reciprocated.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:20 - Dec 18 with 1462 viewsgiant_stow

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:07 - Dec 18 by lowhouseblue

poor old owen. he's never entirely sure if he's chosen the right horse to smarmy up to, and in any case the smarying is never reciprocated.

He's had a bad few years, for sure. Bit of a busted flush.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Interview with Keir Starmer on 13:44 - Dec 18 with 1417 viewsMaySixth

Interview with Keir Starmer on 10:01 - Dec 18 by BloomBlue

Have you ever met Seamus Milne?

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024