Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either 13:51 - Dec 20 with 1553 viewsStokieBlue

After the total farce around the 737 Max and the stopping of production next month they also seem to have had a bit of an issue with their Starliner:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/boeing-starliner-

Really not a great time for the company, mostly through their own actions.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 14:35 - Dec 20 with 1513 viewsIpswichKnight

Not overly surprised, it was in effective a test launch to see if all the systems work ( evidently they don't! ).

Think i'm right in saying that SpaceX will launch the Dragon manned capsule around late March/April time to the ISS for the first time.
Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:00 - Jan 8 with 1306 viewsTIB

And now a 737-800 (not Max) has gone down after take-off from Tehran. They're saying it was "technical issues" / "engine failure". Time will tell, I sense another Malaysian Flight 17 scenario coming on though.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:13 - Jan 8 with 1283 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:00 - Jan 8 by TIB

And now a 737-800 (not Max) has gone down after take-off from Tehran. They're saying it was "technical issues" / "engine failure". Time will tell, I sense another Malaysian Flight 17 scenario coming on though.

There's a video on BBC of the plane burning up in the night sky and then crashing. Horrible.

Plane crashes are horrific (most obvious comment of 2020 award). All those people knowing they're most likely about to die and then being wiped out in the same moment. Those last moments must be terrifying.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:45 - Jan 8 with 1256 viewsIPS_wich

On the former point, air travel is the safest it's ever been (there was a report on this last week) but if there is an accident then the law of probability is that it's likely to be either a Boeing or an Airbus.

The 737 model (and derivations thereafter) has been around since the the late 60's, over 10,000 have been built and they have been involved in over 400 accidents/incidents. The 787 Dreamliner had horrible press in it's first 18 months with 3-4 onboard fires; but it is now one of the best (if not the best) planes in the sky. I think Boeing can overcome 'normal' incidents - but the issue for them is that they have created (and then sought to cover up) the issues with the 737 Max.

The aviation industry (and us as customers) will be much the worse off if either Boeing or Airbus run into financial jeopardy.
Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 09:19 - Jan 8 with 1230 viewsStokieBlue

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:45 - Jan 8 by IPS_wich

On the former point, air travel is the safest it's ever been (there was a report on this last week) but if there is an accident then the law of probability is that it's likely to be either a Boeing or an Airbus.

The 737 model (and derivations thereafter) has been around since the the late 60's, over 10,000 have been built and they have been involved in over 400 accidents/incidents. The 787 Dreamliner had horrible press in it's first 18 months with 3-4 onboard fires; but it is now one of the best (if not the best) planes in the sky. I think Boeing can overcome 'normal' incidents - but the issue for them is that they have created (and then sought to cover up) the issues with the 737 Max.

The aviation industry (and us as customers) will be much the worse off if either Boeing or Airbus run into financial jeopardy.

Did you know that the Dreamliner has to be rebooted every 250 days because it has a software error which causes and overflow after than time and rather than fix it they just reboot the plane.

SB

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 09:22 - Jan 8 with 1227 viewsDanTheMan

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 09:19 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

Did you know that the Dreamliner has to be rebooted every 250 days because it has a software error which causes and overflow after than time and rather than fix it they just reboot the plane.

SB

I forgot about that ridiculous bug. Always made me laugh.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 09:32 - Jan 8 with 1215 viewsElephantintheRoom

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 08:45 - Jan 8 by IPS_wich

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Yes there were very few deaths last year... so very safe until yesterday's events skews the stats a tad.

BUT industry practices be they manufacturers cutting costs and/or airlines cutting costs and using their planes as fuel tankers..... well you could say its an accident waiting to happen.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 10:15 - Jan 8 with 1197 viewsIpswichKnight

I flew on 737-800 from Honduras to Houston a few years back the door failed to pressurise properly resulting in us circling the jungle for an hour while the captain spoke to the United tech teams who then decided to travel to Cancun at under 10,000 feet, captain was saying he'd flown for nearly 20 years and only the 3rd time it has ever happened to him!
Login to get fewer ads

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 10:15 - Jan 8 with 1197 viewsSwansea_Blue

SB

Turning it off and on again never fails.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 11:02 - Jan 8 with 1171 viewsIPS_wich

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 09:32 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Yes there were very few deaths last year... so very safe until yesterday's events skews the stats a tad.

BUT industry practices be they manufacturers cutting costs and/or airlines cutting costs and using their planes as fuel tankers..... well you could say its an accident waiting to happen.

I’m sorry, but that’s just nonsense.

There were far more accidents and deaths per year even as recently as the late 00s and the number of flights has increased significantly.

That’s not lies or statistics. Yes Boeing’s practices would seem to be highly undesirable, but to deny that aviation is not much much safer than even 10 years ago is on a par with climate change denial.
Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 11:04 - Jan 8 with 1168 viewsStokieBlue

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 11:02 - Jan 8 by IPS_wich

There were far more accidents and deaths per year even as recently as the late 00s and the number of flights has increased significantly.

That’s not lies or statistics. Yes Boeing’s practices would seem to be highly undesirable, but to deny that aviation is not much much safer than even 10 years ago is on a par with climate change denial.

The first line of your reply seems to be his trademark over the last few days.

SB

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 12:36 - Jan 8 with 1131 viewsElephantintheRoom

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 11:02 - Jan 8 by IPS_wich

I'm sorry but you are wrong - and statistics prove it. Plane travel is fairly dangerous just now because there was an accident yesterday.

There is a war of sorts brewing in the middle east

There are dubious cost cutting practices going on right across the industry.

To say that air travel is safer than it has ever been is plainly wrong.

You might be a pedant - well in fact you are - but you miss the point of my original post that there could be a lot more accidents in the near future because of current industry practices.

Concorde was the safest plane in the world for many years - despite having numerous fuel tank ruptures because of an inherent design fault. Then it became the most dangerous plane in the world after one accident due entirely to human error. Statistics you see

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 12:43 - Jan 8 with 1122 viewsStokieBlue

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 12:36 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm sorry but you are wrong - and statistics prove it. Plane travel is fairly dangerous just now because there was an accident yesterday.

There is a war of sorts brewing in the middle east

There are dubious cost cutting practices going on right across the industry.

To say that air travel is safer than it has ever been is plainly wrong.

You might be a pedant - well in fact you are - but you miss the point of my original post that there could be a lot more accidents in the near future because of current industry practices.

Concorde was the safest plane in the world for many years - despite having numerous fuel tank ruptures because of an inherent design fault. Then it became the most dangerous plane in the world after one accident due entirely to human error. Statistics you see

That is not how statistics work, I'd even go as far as to say it's an abuse of statistics. If you want to work it that way you could just as easily say there were another hundred thousand successful journeys yesterday so plane travel is safer. That wouldn't be correct either but it's just as valid as your interpretation.

You've spent 2 days telling people they are wrong about things when you have been entirely wrong in your assertions.

SB

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:03 - Jan 8 with 1097 viewsElephantintheRoom

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 12:43 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

That is not how statistics work, I'd even go as far as to say it's an abuse of statistics. If you want to work it that way you could just as easily say there were another hundred thousand successful journeys yesterday so plane travel is safer. That wouldn't be correct either but it's just as valid as your interpretation.

You've spent 2 days telling people they are wrong about things when you have been entirely wrong in your assertions.

SB

It IS how statistics work. People use them to justify whatever they want. Hence the saying, lies, damn lies and statistics

You can stamp your feet and throw your toys out of the pram as much as you like but being right doesn't make somebody wrong.

You can even use stats to prove you were right. I just used them to prove that you're wrong

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:07 - Jan 8 with 1095 viewsStokieBlue

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:03 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

It IS how statistics work. People use them to justify whatever they want. Hence the saying, lies, damn lies and statistics

You can stamp your feet and throw your toys out of the pram as much as you like but being right doesn't make somebody wrong.

You can even use stats to prove you were right. I just used them to prove that you're wrong

When the opinions are diametrically opposite this is provably a falsehood.

You're really struggling lately, your posts yesterday were awful and pretty horrible to those involved as someone pointed out.

SB

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:16 - Jan 8 with 1079 viewsPinewoodblue

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:03 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

You can quote statistics to support your views but that doesn’t make you right.

It is no less safe to fly today or tomorrow than it was yesterday or the day before.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:30 - Jan 8 with 1064 viewsElephantintheRoom

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:16 - Jan 8 by Pinewoodblue

You can quote statistics to support your views but that doesn’t make you right.

It is no less safe to fly today or tomorrow than it was yesterday or the day before.

Again that is totally wrong.

The biggest danger to life associated with flying (if you exclude getting to and from the airport) is airline food.

If more people are having food on airplanes flying is inherently more dangerous... but I accept your pedantic point that it depends on how many planes are whizzing through the air - and whether there is anyone on them or not.

The original point which started this on-line onion pealing is still just as valid despite the obvious truth hurting someone's sensibilities apparently.... It is clearly wrong to attest that flying today is safer than it has ever been.... there are accidents waiting to happen because of highly avoidable industry practices.

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:38 - Jan 8 with 1050 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 12:43 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

SB

There hasn’t been a plane crash in the last hour, ergo as of right now plane travel is 100% safe

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 14:14 - Jan 8 with 1020 viewsIPS_wich

Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 13:30 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Again that is totally wrong.

The biggest danger to life associated with flying (if you exclude getting to and from the airport) is airline food.

If more people are having food on airplanes flying is inherently more dangerous... but I accept your pedantic point that it depends on how many planes are whizzing through the air - and whether there is anyone on them or not.

The original point which started this on-line onion pealing is still just as valid despite the obvious truth hurting someone's sensibilities apparently.... It is clearly wrong to attest that flying today is safer than it has ever been.... there are accidents waiting to happen because of highly avoidable industry practices.

I can assure you no sensibilities were hurt - rather that I think it’s appropriate to point out when someone is talking sh1t.

You are also confusing statistics with hypotheses:
- Statistics prove emphatically and irrefutably that airline travel is safer today than 10, 20, 30 years ago; and not statistics that are twisted to make a point, pretty simple statistics that I would think most Year 8/9 school kids could understand
- Your hypothesis is that there are accidents waiting to happen due to current industry practices. Now that’s a hypothesis with merit due to what’s emerging in the relationship between Boeing and the FAA.

I’m very happy to debate your hypothesis.

I think some of the practices that are being exposed around manufacturer and regulator relationships is deeply concerning and I don’t trust that we will see a satisfsctory resolution to this. The US government is too invested in protecting Boeing so I suspect we will see a slap on the wrist st best. Moreover, as consumers of air travel I doubt the plane type factors in many peoples purchasing decisions. Yes the airlines may shift a bit towards Airbus, but if Boeing has a lower cost and more efficient offering in a segment of the market then most airlines will still buy Boeing (its why the 787 is outselling the A350).

On your conflated point about the practices of the airlines, I will disagree with you. Yes many major airlines are cost cutting, but I don’t believe they are cutting corners on maintenance and general safety. There is too much competition in the market for any airline to be labelled unsafe (for example, if the Malaysian government hadn’t thrown millions at propping up Malaysian Air following the two incidents in 2015 then they would no longer exist). You can see where the costs are being cut every time you board the plane. Fewer cabin crew, rubbish food, less drinks on offer and additional cost for things that were previously gratis.
Boeing not doing too well with spacecraft either on 19:59 - Jan 8 with 971 viewsstonojnr

SB

yeah but the Airbus A350 had a similar bug which needed a switch off and on again every 149 hours instead.

but Boeings latest 737 next gen problem is all the cockpit displays turn themselves off if you attempt to set the autopilot to land on a runway at 270 degress at 7 specific airports in North/South America
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024