Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? 15:46 - Dec 20 with 2232 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Paul is starting to turn into McCarthy on fast forward.

Mick came in, made us hard to beat, forged a togetherness, made us proud of the club again and 3 years into a 6 year stint he became belligerent, hard argumentative, hard to fathom and frustrated. The man most of us had loved at one point knew his time was up, so did we and most of us agreed it was right to move on.

Lambert came in last season, we started playing much better football, looked to have a style of play to take into this season, he turned the fans round, the club round and made the atmosphere brilliant. Almost as quickly it's become random team selections and formations, the fans are being unfair and too negative and there's too much football being played.

I said last week, the guy is starting to pick at all the things that made most of us really warm to him. Every club can have a blip but it's like the team, the club, his press releases and everything else is having a blip too.

Really very odd the way he's gone about everything, particularly a lack of identity, system or idea of his best eleven, something every manager seemingly has going into any club, let alone when they've been there long enough to mould it towards what they want.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:50 - Dec 20 with 1929 viewshomer_123

Point of order. Lambert has not ingrained a footballing identity. We still have no real idea how we play.

We do play marginally better football but it's actually similar to Hurst. It remains in patches, it's extremely rare we are able to boss a game and we certainly dont feel defensively solid.

As for our attacking set pieces...

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:52 - Dec 20 with 1921 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:50 - Dec 20 by homer_123

Point of order. Lambert has not ingrained a footballing identity. We still have no real idea how we play.

We do play marginally better football but it's actually similar to Hurst. It remains in patches, it's extremely rare we are able to boss a game and we certainly dont feel defensively solid.

As for our attacking set pieces...

Oh I agree, but towards the end of last season with West Brom, Derby and one other (Bristol City?) where we drew three games against promotion hopefuls, we were the better side in all three, passed the ball, created chances and looked like we'd finally found a style and identity.

Then this season happened!

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:54 - Dec 20 with 1908 viewshomer_123

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:52 - Dec 20 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Oh I agree, but towards the end of last season with West Brom, Derby and one other (Bristol City?) where we drew three games against promotion hopefuls, we were the better side in all three, passed the ball, created chances and looked like we'd finally found a style and identity.

Yes...I do remember those games. Two observations spring to mind...we didn't win did we? It's all well and good playing good football but it needs to have an end product.

The last 9 or so games has seen the general level and quality of football drop coupled with conceding goals...grrr.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:57 - Dec 20 with 1906 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:54 - Dec 20 by homer_123

Yes...I do remember those games. Two observations spring to mind...we didn't win did we? It's all well and good playing good football but it needs to have an end product.

The last 9 or so games has seen the general level and quality of football drop coupled with conceding goals...grrr.

Of course, we didn't win, but these were games against top Championship sides and very impressive points to gain.

With that identity and brand of football into this season I think we'd have been doing better than we have. Of course we need to be able to mix it, realise that we are a cup final for teams, that they will time waste, cheat and a few may be better footballing sides or better organised, but we seem to be throwing a team together and expecting to beat teams that have a clear plan.

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 16:01 - Dec 20 with 1892 viewsDarth_Koont

I think Lambert could still be good for us and deserves to be in charge.

But he's not achieved anything on the same level as Mick to even be compared with Mick's bad habits. At best, he's managed to keep the mood from turning last season despite not getting results, got results early on this season and ensured we didn't get trapped in negativity, and despite an iffy spell we're still in a decent position to kick on from here.

At worst, we haven't looked a very good team for a whole year. We spent loads and have a huge budget now and player resources compared to the competition. Which means we're getting away with it because League One is pretty poor.

We need better over the second half of the season. A) to get promoted and B) because we need to hit the ground running in the Championship if we do. Fail on one or both of those counts, which is looking entirely possible at the moment, and the last few seasons will have been a colossal waste of time and money. And Lambert will be the manager who cemented our new position as an aspirational League One team like Portsmouth or Coventry.

He needs to show Mick's best traits first: getting the most out of a team and available players. So far we look like the side Jewell would have managed if he'd taken us down to League One.

Pronouns: He/Him

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 16:02 - Dec 20 with 1888 viewsCokeIsKey

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:52 - Dec 20 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Just checked those matches and the Leeds win too, we played 4-3-3 which looked like our best formation that season. Hopefully based on the last couple of matches where we played nice football Lambert is trying to reimplement it back into our game, and we might soon have an identity.

Having said that though, we'll probably line up tomorrow with wingbacks and Holy as a target man.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 16:46 - Dec 20 with 1811 viewspointofblue

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 16:02 - Dec 20 by CokeIsKey

Just checked those matches and the Leeds win too, we played 4-3-3 which looked like our best formation that season. Hopefully based on the last couple of matches where we played nice football Lambert is trying to reimplement it back into our game, and we might soon have an identity.

Having said that though, we'll probably line up tomorrow with wingbacks and Holy as a target man.

I think 4-3-3 is our best formation but we're lacking the players to make the most of it, particularly in the full back positions without Vincent-Young/a comfortable left back and up front, where we really need Sears to return to compliment Jackson out wide. Once those two are back, and if we can get them playing at 100%, I think our performances and results will improve, even if Garbutt remains at left back.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 17:24 - Dec 20 with 1763 viewsMillsey

👌
Login to get fewer ads

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 17:33 - Dec 20 with 1756 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To summarise your post:

The honeymoon is over.

If he starts winning again soon all will be fine.

If he doesn't there will be increasing discontent and calls for his head.

Pretty much the life of every football manager at every club from Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho and Arsne Wenger to Paul Lambert, John Coleman and Sol Campbell.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 17:51 - Dec 20 with 1731 viewsgainsboroughblue

I refuse to ever call him Mick Lambert.

Unless, he somehow acts 12th man duties for England at Lord's.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 18:50 - Dec 20 with 1687 viewsBlueBadger

At what point did the football get 'better'? We were still losing utterly limply. It's really not 'better' football if you're still getting walloped after spending 20 minutes tapping it around ineffectually. And lest we forget, he rotated the side and chopped and changed formations nearly as much last season as he has this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 18:56 - Dec 20 with 1667 viewsVaughan8

Last season he had an easy ride. We were down with months to go and he did a good job reuniting the fans.

Now we should be one of the favourites and are going through a sticky patch (which must be partly due to chopping and changing the team every week, which is down to him) it is taking its toll!
At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 19:03 - Dec 20 with 1660 viewspablovian

I agree. Searching for a 'magic' system is futile. We have looked good at times playing 4-3-3. We have better-than-average players for League One, so we can be attack-oriented, which is entertaining for supporters.

Empirical evidence indicates that international breaks act as mini off-seasons that cause players to lose match sharpness, and teams to lose momentum. So let's change our approach.

Most managers succumb to pressure eventually, and PL is already displaying signs of stress. I want him to succeed, and think that reducing complexity would be a step in the right direction.

Older supporters will remember the 'original' Mick Lambert as a fast, direct winger who played in Bobby Robson's teams of the 1970's. Last season it took me months to get used to the idea that 'Lambert' refers now to Paul, not Mick ...
At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 20:21 - Dec 20 with 1608 viewsFelstow1978

Successive failures at Villa, Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke. Why should it end any happier at Town? Since Norwich the snake oil has been proven to be no more than stale water.

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 12:31 - Dec 21 with 1375 viewsTerry_Nutkins

We could just not call him that? Is that an option?

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 12:41 - Dec 21 with 1354 viewspointofblue

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 12:31 - Dec 21 by Terry_Nutkins

We could just not call him that? Is that an option?

How about Paul McCarthy?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 13:52 - Dec 21 with 1290 viewsunstableblue

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 16:01 - Dec 20 by Darth_Koont

I think Lambert could still be good for us and deserves to be in charge.

But he's not achieved anything on the same level as Mick to even be compared with Mick's bad habits. At best, he's managed to keep the mood from turning last season despite not getting results, got results early on this season and ensured we didn't get trapped in negativity, and despite an iffy spell we're still in a decent position to kick on from here.

At worst, we haven't looked a very good team for a whole year. We spent loads and have a huge budget now and player resources compared to the competition. Which means we're getting away with it because League One is pretty poor.

We need better over the second half of the season. A) to get promoted and B) because we need to hit the ground running in the Championship if we do. Fail on one or both of those counts, which is looking entirely possible at the moment, and the last few seasons will have been a colossal waste of time and money. And Lambert will be the manager who cemented our new position as an aspirational League One team like Portsmouth or Coventry.

He needs to show Mick's best traits first: getting the most out of a team and available players. So far we look like the side Jewell would have managed if he'd taken us down to League One.

You make some good points Darth.

I do think the Mick and Paul comparison is flawed as they both promote a different style of play. Micks effective when he started with good / in form players, woeful at the end. Paul’s shows promise in spurts, but concerns on selection and consistency, and it remains unproven.

The clear difference is a draw at home under Paul is far easier on the eye than under Mick, including in the Championship.

I do think the ‘League One Standard’ is terrible argument is equally flawed. It’s difficult, period.

I think the KVY injury is massive; he was central to getting the best out of our strong but narrow midfield.

I think we’ll struggle today.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:35 - Dec 21 with 1227 viewshaynes_toe1

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 18:50 - Dec 20 by BlueBadger

At what point did the football get 'better'? We were still losing utterly limply. It's really not 'better' football if you're still getting walloped after spending 20 minutes tapping it around ineffectually. And lest we forget, he rotated the side and chopped and changed formations nearly as much last season as he has this.

Simple fans simply thought that because Lambert asked them to keep it on the deck that we were playing better football. We werent.

Any team can knock the ball about in the first 2/3rds of the pitch. It's just most dont bother if they cant also do it in the final third. Teams literally watched us do nothing for 10 minutes, took the ball of us and went and scored.

We then completely changed our style again for League One. I said on here after our first game there was too much long ball, it wasnt right. But I got dogs abuse for that because we won.
At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:42 - Dec 21 with 1211 viewsMullet

Genuinely the worst take possible on her for so long.

Lambert did not come in and get us playing "much better football" unless you mean relative to Hurst's complete lack of it, we barely managed a coherent 90 mins under Lambert and that is returning this time around.

He took us down without any fight or sense or togetherness on the pitch, and fashioned it off it by exploiting the stupidity and embarrassment of plenty off it as well as the need for all of us to undo the massive damage post-Mick.

Your last paragraph is bob on, and sums up why the whole post is so off. Lambert has miles to go to even touch Mick at his most average, let alone in terms of success, developing players, and all the other stuff so often revised or ignored on here.

I'd love Lambert to get it right, but once again he'll find as Mick did that Evans simply won't be forthcoming after an initial splurge, so if he doesn't get us up this season, he'll be forced to starve and we'll suffer.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:49 - Dec 21 with 1191 viewsjudespiveyg

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:42 - Dec 21 by Mullet

Genuinely the worst take possible on her for so long.

Lambert did not come in and get us playing "much better football" unless you mean relative to Hurst's complete lack of it, we barely managed a coherent 90 mins under Lambert and that is returning this time around.

He took us down without any fight or sense or togetherness on the pitch, and fashioned it off it by exploiting the stupidity and embarrassment of plenty off it as well as the need for all of us to undo the massive damage post-Mick.

Your last paragraph is bob on, and sums up why the whole post is so off. Lambert has miles to go to even touch Mick at his most average, let alone in terms of success, developing players, and all the other stuff so often revised or ignored on here.

I'd love Lambert to get it right, but once again he'll find as Mick did that Evans simply won't be forthcoming after an initial splurge, so if he doesn't get us up this season, he'll be forced to starve and we'll suffer.

I think 'better' would be the wrong word as it's too open to interpretation. 'More entertaining' would be a better description. Winning's important but there's also a correct way to win, which the team were clearly attempting last year (without the actual winning admittedly). Eddie Howe or Brendan Rodgers' teams always win the correct way, unlike the chicken football of frauds like Fat Sam or Pulis.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:55 - Dec 21 with 1167 viewsMullet

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:49 - Dec 21 by judespiveyg

I think 'better' would be the wrong word as it's too open to interpretation. 'More entertaining' would be a better description. Winning's important but there's also a correct way to win, which the team were clearly attempting last year (without the actual winning admittedly). Eddie Howe or Brendan Rodgers' teams always win the correct way, unlike the chicken football of frauds like Fat Sam or Pulis.

You obviously don't remember Howe's Burnley side or the one when he took Bournemouth up. They were talented but easily the worst cheats of their generation and absolute sh1thouses in every way.

The correct way to win is to outscore the opposition and shut them down. The idea that we only played terrible football under McCarthy is such a tiring lie, people loved his approach the moment he stepped in and got us going right through to when finishing 7th suddenly became unacceptable.

Look at how many goals top strikers score from through balls and long balls from Bergkamp against Argentina, to Suarez at basically every club he's been at to Sterling right now etc. To criticise Mick for doing it on a shoestring budget when it got us so much further than anyone else in the last two decades is such dishonest b0llocks frankly.

Lambert would kill for a fraction of the quality we showed even in the seasons around the playoff one, let alone the consistency.

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:00 - Dec 21 with 1159 viewsjudespiveyg

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 14:55 - Dec 21 by Mullet

You obviously don't remember Howe's Burnley side or the one when he took Bournemouth up. They were talented but easily the worst cheats of their generation and absolute sh1thouses in every way.

The correct way to win is to outscore the opposition and shut them down. The idea that we only played terrible football under McCarthy is such a tiring lie, people loved his approach the moment he stepped in and got us going right through to when finishing 7th suddenly became unacceptable.

Look at how many goals top strikers score from through balls and long balls from Bergkamp against Argentina, to Suarez at basically every club he's been at to Sterling right now etc. To criticise Mick for doing it on a shoestring budget when it got us so much further than anyone else in the last two decades is such dishonest b0llocks frankly.

Lambert would kill for a fraction of the quality we showed even in the seasons around the playoff one, let alone the consistency.

There is absolutely a correct way to win, watching football is entertainment after all, it's why Pulis and Fat Sam have never got top jobs. Because their football causes resentment at the gift of sight.

Also 7th wasn't unacceptable, and you know it. It was the painfully unentertaining football (which people paid £35 for and were told to be grateful for it) and that was evidenced by sub-10000 crowds.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:02 - Dec 21 with 1155 viewsRyorry

Someone wrote a post a few weeks(?) ago saying that PL's rotation policy was a first-half-of-the-season ploy to enable us to come up with the best 11 for the 2nd half of season, esp when we had so many injuries, esp long-term ones, as we obv did/do. Can't remember who the poster was, but it made sense to me & I'm still prepared to give PL the time which I think he deserves.

COYB

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:06 - Dec 21 with 1140 viewsVaughan8

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:02 - Dec 21 by Ryorry

Someone wrote a post a few weeks(?) ago saying that PL's rotation policy was a first-half-of-the-season ploy to enable us to come up with the best 11 for the 2nd half of season, esp when we had so many injuries, esp long-term ones, as we obv did/do. Can't remember who the poster was, but it made sense to me & I'm still prepared to give PL the time which I think he deserves.

COYB

He still doesnt know his best team and formation....? Its worrying!
At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:07 - Dec 21 with 1136 viewsMullet

At what point do we start calling him Mick Lambert? on 15:00 - Dec 21 by judespiveyg

There is absolutely a correct way to win, watching football is entertainment after all, it's why Pulis and Fat Sam have never got top jobs. Because their football causes resentment at the gift of sight.

Also 7th wasn't unacceptable, and you know it. It was the painfully unentertaining football (which people paid £35 for and were told to be grateful for it) and that was evidenced by sub-10000 crowds.

You're talking nonsense on both counts, plenty saw their arse after we finished 7th and the backlash began.

As for your take on purism, it's a lovely idea but not the reality. People are always entertained by wins and success. Hence the hypocrisy over MM and then Hurst etc. on here.

The idea that Bournemouth did it is laughable. I have no idea where you get that from at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024