Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Callis's thread 22:21 - Dec 23 with 3426 viewsPhilTWTD

Have removed it as clearly plenty of posters felt it has crossed a line. Usually let these things stay up if other users are posting contrary views but think it was a bit unnecessarily divisive.
Callis's thread on 22:22 - Dec 23 with 2430 viewsmonytowbray

I’ve changed it now anyway. Felt for the most part it raised a lot of fair and interesting points.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Callis's thread on 22:24 - Dec 23 with 2409 viewsPhilTWTD

Callis's thread on 22:22 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

I’ve changed it now anyway. Felt for the most part it raised a lot of fair and interesting points.

Cheers. Yes, I thought there was some interesting discussion, which was why I didn't initially remove it.
Callis's thread on 22:26 - Dec 23 with 2378 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Callis's thread on 22:24 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

Cheers. Yes, I thought there was some interesting discussion, which was why I didn't initially remove it.

A difficult call to make to decide when someone oversteps the mark.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Callis's thread on 22:29 - Dec 23 with 2357 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 22:26 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think in terms of outright offensive things posted on this forum in my 9 years here (NINE? BLOODY HELL!) that image was low on the list. Provocative but the context was with good intentions. Again another thread like your current racism in football one where plenty of suspect people had down arrows to fire or personal remarks to make but not much in the way of justifying the way the Tories are heading.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 22:30 - Dec 23 with 2345 viewsPhilTWTD

Callis's thread on 22:26 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

And the mark is in different places for different people. I tend to try to let the forum moderate itself to some degree, if that makes sense. Rather than removing threads which some may see as beyond the pale, allowing them to stay if contrary responses are forthcoming from other posters.
Callis's thread on 22:32 - Dec 23 with 2325 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Callis's thread on 22:29 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

I think in terms of outright offensive things posted on this forum in my 9 years here (NINE? BLOODY HELL!) that image was low on the list. Provocative but the context was with good intentions. Again another thread like your current racism in football one where plenty of suspect people had down arrows to fire or personal remarks to make but not much in the way of justifying the way the Tories are heading.

To be fair, I think use of the Swastika is a difficult one. My initial reaction was to pm you and suggest it was wrong. I felt uncomfortable with it despite my views of the current government.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Callis's thread on 22:32 - Dec 23 with 2334 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I am a little disappointed, Phil, though, of course, I accept your decision.

I thought the debate was mostly very reasoned. Indeed had just prepared a post defending Callis when the carpet was ripped from under.

To, not quite, paraphrase Voltaire...

I Disapprove of the avatar you display but will defend your right to display it.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 22:35]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Callis's thread on 22:38 - Dec 23 with 2272 viewsvapour_trail

Callis's thread on 22:30 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

And the mark is in different places for different people. I tend to try to let the forum moderate itself to some degree, if that makes sense. Rather than removing threads which some may see as beyond the pale, allowing them to stay if contrary responses are forthcoming from other posters.

Happy Christmas Phil.

Trust you’ll have your feet up as Mark and Gav get their hands dirty in the kitchen.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Callis's thread on 22:39 - Dec 23 with 2277 viewsPhilTWTD

Callis's thread on 22:32 - Dec 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

I thought the debate was mostly very reasoned. Indeed had just prepared a post defending Callis when the carpet was ripped from under.

I Disapprove of the avatar you display but will defend your right to display it.

I can understand that and, as I say, that was why I didn't remove it after one or two people made comment earlier.
Callis's thread on 22:40 - Dec 23 with 2262 viewsPhilTWTD

Callis's thread on 22:38 - Dec 23 by vapour_trail

Happy Christmas Phil.

Trust you’ll have your feet up as Mark and Gav get their hands dirty in the kitchen.

Cheers. Think they're off down the boozer for the day.
Callis's thread on 22:42 - Dec 23 with 2259 viewsmonytowbray

The video I just posted in the football and racism thread had loads of KKK, segregation and Nazi imagery in it. It’s an anti-fascist song written by an outspoken anti-fascist band that have been around 20* years.

I guess in my subculture more provocative imagery exists and it’s a bit more desensitised as it’s designed to be confrontational and in your face. I’m used to it. Once had a bloke in McDonalds say he was gonna punch me when he saw a swatstika on my bag then realised it had a red cross out over it with NAZI PUNKS F*CK OFF on it (then ironically went off on a massive right wing Brexit rant to me but story for another day).

At the same time though, I’ve always found most DIY Punk Rock circles to be some of the most liberal and understanding places to be, whilst actively fighting stuff that is obviously backwards and infringes on rights. Dare I say it’s often well ahead of the curve, I don’t meet many people at gigs these days who aren’t vegan.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 23:25 - Dec 23 with 2117 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Callis's thread on 22:42 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

The video I just posted in the football and racism thread had loads of KKK, segregation and Nazi imagery in it. It’s an anti-fascist song written by an outspoken anti-fascist band that have been around 20* years.

I guess in my subculture more provocative imagery exists and it’s a bit more desensitised as it’s designed to be confrontational and in your face. I’m used to it. Once had a bloke in McDonalds say he was gonna punch me when he saw a swatstika on my bag then realised it had a red cross out over it with NAZI PUNKS F*CK OFF on it (then ironically went off on a massive right wing Brexit rant to me but story for another day).

At the same time though, I’ve always found most DIY Punk Rock circles to be some of the most liberal and understanding places to be, whilst actively fighting stuff that is obviously backwards and infringes on rights. Dare I say it’s often well ahead of the curve, I don’t meet many people at gigs these days who aren’t vegan.

Your views are probably very similar to those of my son. He is probably a few years older than you, vegan, abhors any form of discrimination, not at all materialistic. He is probably more of an introvert then your but equally firm in his beliefs. I am proud of him.

But you would never, ever find him (nor I) in McDonald's!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 23:30]

Callis's thread on 23:29 - Dec 23 with 2100 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Phils board, Phils rules.

Fair enough.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Callis's thread on 23:32 - Dec 23 with 2087 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 23:25 - Dec 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

Your views are probably very similar to those of my son. He is probably a few years older than you, vegan, abhors any form of discrimination, not at all materialistic. He is probably more of an introvert then your but equally firm in his beliefs. I am proud of him.

But you would never, ever find him (nor I) in McDonald's!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 23:30]

We’re an alright generation for the most part :)

If your son is Ipswich based and enjoys grotty Punk shows I may know him haha.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 23:33]

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 23:47 - Dec 23 with 2024 viewsjeera

It was never the cutest pig in the first place.

I'd eat it without a moment's thought.

Can't see the issue.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Callis's thread on 23:47 - Dec 23 with 2014 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Callis's thread on 23:32 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

We’re an alright generation for the most part :)

If your son is Ipswich based and enjoys grotty Punk shows I may know him haha.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 23:33]

He is Felixstowe based and, like his dad, has musical taste!

Callis's thread on 23:54 - Dec 23 with 1988 viewsSwansea_Blue

Callis's thread on 23:47 - Dec 23 by jeera

It was never the cutest pig in the first place.

I'd eat it without a moment's thought.

Can't see the issue.

Easy there, you wouldn’t believe what’s been in its mouth...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Callis's thread on 00:24 - Dec 24 with 1927 viewsfactual_blue

Callis's thread on 22:40 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

Cheers. Think they're off down the boozer for the day.

No change there then.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Callis's thread on 00:41 - Dec 24 with 1870 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 22:30 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

It wasn’t beyond the pale or offensive. It just wasn’t necessary. It’s not needed on TWTD.

Racism on this board is quickly chased away, and rightly so.

TWTD remains a tolerant bunch, with a fair amount of good posters knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Callis's thread on 00:47 - Dec 24 with 1859 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 00:41 - Dec 24 by NewcyBlue

It wasn’t beyond the pale or offensive. It just wasn’t necessary. It’s not needed on TWTD.

Racism on this board is quickly chased away, and rightly so.

TWTD remains a tolerant bunch, with a fair amount of good posters knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects.

Nthsuffolkblue’s current thread on the Tories and racism would suggest there’s more than usual seeming to find a voice right now.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 01:02 - Dec 24 with 1829 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 00:47 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

Nthsuffolkblue’s current thread on the Tories and racism would suggest there’s more than usual seeming to find a voice right now.

I’ve not seen that. I will have a look.

Have you seen Game Changers by the way?

Callis's thread on 01:18 - Dec 24 with 1816 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 01:02 - Dec 24 by NewcyBlue

I’ve not seen that. I will have a look.

Have you seen Game Changers by the way?

I have. From a personal perspective I found it a bit dull as fitness nerd stuff has never been my thing nor why I am vegan but as something that approaches it from that angle to potentially appeal to non-vegans they did a great job.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 01:23 - Dec 24 with 1809 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 01:18 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

I have. From a personal perspective I found it a bit dull as fitness nerd stuff has never been my thing nor why I am vegan but as something that approaches it from that angle to potentially appeal to non-vegans they did a great job.

I’ve not watched it yet. I’ve read mixed reviews.

I am a fitness nerd, so will definitely give it a watch.

Callis's thread on 07:44 - Dec 24 with 1505 viewsMJallday

Callis's thread on 22:22 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

I’m all for reasoned and logical debate - but posting images like that is only ever going to end badlY.

I’m usually the first to tsk eyes things massively too far - but Even you must realise that there are some things which are if not beyond the pale then at least massively uncomfortable

I think you could have had the debate without the image. Combating racism in football is important
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 7:48]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Callis's thread on 08:13 - Dec 24 with 1444 viewsTractorWood

Callis's thread on 01:23 - Dec 24 by NewcyBlue

I’ve not watched it yet. I’ve read mixed reviews.

I am a fitness nerd, so will definitely give it a watch.

Alright Newcy.

A good look through YouTube and loads of people who are trying to crack into elite running and cycling (Ben Parkes/Vegan cyclist/Ginger runner) are all vegan, seemingly only for its performance benefits.

I'm doing full Ironman in July and have been considering it quite seriously.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024